University of New England (UNECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For the personal difficulty/challenge I was thinking of talking about something that happened in high school. Do you think that would be too far back? I have others I can talk about but I think that was a really specific and influential challenge for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the personal difficulty/challenge I was thinking of talking about something that happened in high school. Do you think that would be too far back? I have others I can talk about but I think that was a really specific and influential challenge for me.

I would go with whatever was most influential in shaping you, making you unique as a candidate and optimal for the program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the quick reply! Another question for anyone that might know, does UNECOM lump EM into primary care? Some schools do and some don't so I was just curious.

Like if they ask if I have an interest in primary care and I respond along the lines of "yes, I have interests in emergency medicine, pediatrics, and various other specialties"

Like if they ask if I have an interest in primary care and I respond along the lines of "yes, I have interests in emergency medicine, pediatrics, and various other specialties"

I would say no and be on the safe side. Primary care is mainly internal, peds, fam, sometimes ob/gyn

@Mad Jack , what year are you? Can you comment on 3rd year rotation sites? Any you feel are particularly strong or weak? Or is there inconsistency with some?

What would really be great is if you or any other current upperclassmen/recent grads could provide an update in the pros/cons thread!

@Mad Jack , what year are you? Can you comment on 3rd year rotation sites? Any you feel are particularly strong or weak? Or is there inconsistency with some?

What would really be great is if you or any other current upperclassmen/recent grads could provide an update in the pros/cons thread!
Our rotation sites generally have gotten good reviews from students- at mine, in particular, we were basically treated like guests that were very important to the hospital, and were reminded of how much having students around reinvigorated many of the physicians there and brought their level of practice and knowledge up a notch. Some of the sites are know for being particularly good (Bangor, Rhode Island), but all of them seem to be decent places to train. Almost all sites have at least one residency program, so you'll get to train alongside residents, while some of the bigger sites have multiple residencies (Maine Med only has a handful of spots for us, but they have residencies in everything from radiology to EM to IM to anesthesia and peds and more, while our Rhode Island site has FM, EM, and IM, and BMC has psych, surgery, and I believe either FM and IM or one or the other). I only have experience with one site, and don't want to reveal much more except that I'm happy with my rotations thusfar and picked a smaller community hospital because I get to do more hands-on stuff (closing in surgery, delivering babies, and other such procedures) since there aren't as many residents around to do it, and because it is close to home. I'd be more specific, but I kind of try to stay at least a bit anonymous.

There are some smaller, newer sites that haven't really been reviewed by fellow students yet, but they are more optional places that only take a couple students that people can pick instead of the bigger sites if they are closer to home or a spouse or whatever, so I can't comment on those, but they only comprise 6 of our positions, and 4 of them went unfilled last year.

Reactions: 1 user
@Mad Jack would you be willing to read my "why UNECOM" section for the secondary?

@Mad Jack would you be willing to read my "why UNECOM" section for the secondary?
I can read it, but I can't do much editing for you or anything. I'm really busy lately, got a lot of reading to due for some ICU work. I'll let you know if it's good or not though, and what is good or weak about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told that UNE asks how many other schools you have applied to. Anybody else think this is a scary question? I'm especially worried if they ask MD/DO because I applied to so many more MDs than DOs it might look like a fall back.
I am freaking out about the same thing. DO they really have any way of knowing about allopathic programs? I am leaning towards omitting that info...

I am freaking out about the same thing. DO they really have any way of knowing about allopathic programs? I am leaning towards omitting that info...

Remember that you are signing the document confirming that you are telling the truth and they state that if they find out you have lied, it's grounds for termination of your application.

I can't believe they are asking how many MD/DO schools we applied to. They are going to throw my application out right on the spot. Did anybody lie about this?

I can't believe they are asking how many MD/DO schools we applied to. They are going to throw my application out right on the spot. Did anybody lie about this?

I feel the same way. I applied to a ton of schools, mostly MD, but that doesn't take away from my interest for UNE. I don't think lying is the way to go though. I don't know how they'd find out, but they can withdrawal your acceptance if they do.

I feel the same way. I applied to a ton of schools, mostly MD, but that doesn't take away from my interest for UNE. I don't think lying is the way to go though. I don't know how they'd find out, but they can withdrawal your acceptance if they do.

+1 to this.

I think it's unrealistic for them to believe any applicant would only apply to UNECOM. In today's application cycle most have to apply broadly in order to be successful.

Just make sure you researched the school and found compelling reasons to attend UNECOM.

+1 to this.

I think it's unrealistic for them to believe any applicant would only apply to UNECOM. In today's application cycle most have to apply broadly in order to be successful.

Just make sure you researched the school and found compelling reasons to attend UNECOM.

I know, it's just my 20/3 MD/DO ratio is basically a flashing neon sign saying "THIS IS A BACKUP"

Reactions: 2 users
No I didn't lie I didn't apply to any MD and put that I applied to 8 DO

I know, it's just my 20/3 MD/DO ratio is basically a flashing neon sign saying "THIS IS A BACKUP"

From what I remember it just asked for schools not specifically MD or DO.

Research the school there's a lot to offer and find something that you could find appealing there's a lot (neuroscience department is legit if that's your cup of tea)

From what I remember it just asked for schools not specifically MD or DO.

Research the school there's a lot to offer and find something that you could find appealing there's a lot (neuroscience department is legit if that's your cup of tea)

It is, I am definitely truly interested in the school I just feel like they aren't going to give me a chance to show it when they see those stats. Oh well, I submitted it with the truth so we'll see what happens.

It is, I am definitely truly interested in the school I just feel like they aren't going to give me a chance to show it when they see those stats. Oh well, I submitted it with the truth so we'll see what happens.

Have faith brotha/sista

Reactions: 1 users

can we just all write NA? it doesnt force you to put numerals in the box. i checked.

can we just all write NA? it doesnt force you to put numerals in the box. i checked.
I e-mailed their admissions office and the reply said,"We use this question for collecting data at the end of the cycle- there is no right or wrong answer to it. If you do not feel comfortable answering the question, you are not required..."

hope this helps

Anyone else high key struggling to get through on the phone to pay for the secondary?! I've tried many times and had no luck SOS

Anyone else high key struggling to get through on the phone to pay for the secondary?! I've tried many times and had no luck SOS

Weird. I called them yesterday around 2 pm central time and I had no problem at all.

I called them last week w/o issue. I'm sure this is just a very busy time for them with the influx of secondaries and prepping for II. I suggest calling at different times during the day: 0930, 1330, 1600 for example. These are usually the best times to call in sales...so why not use that principal. Good luck!

Luckily, I've been adding MD schools as I do their secondaries. And I didn't have many MD schools added when I submitted UNECOM's secondary.

I think everyone needs to calm down regarding the number of MD/DO applications. Not to be rude, but it is not a difficult question to answer and I think you need to sit down and have a long chat with yourself about your ethics and maturity if the question upsets you. Certainly, you will face much tougher questions and decisions in the future.

To ease everyone's nerves. If you scan past threads, you will see multiple individuals who were accepted with ratio's similar to 45 MD/3 DO. Medicine is a competitive field and numerous variables come into play when deciding the number of MD vs. DO (tuition, location, research interests, $ for research interests, dual programs, etc.). If you are applying to a low number of DO schools, perhaps you have a deep passion for those schools and are intimately familiar with the programs, therefore knowing that those are the only places you would like to obtain a medical education. If you are applying to a high number of MD schools, perhaps location or simply having more options (i.e. countless MD vs. small number of DO schools) to fulfill your dreams explain the disparity. Either way, if you are a strong applicant and have actual knowledge and passion/interest for osteopathic medicine, you have nothing to worry about. If you are using it as a backup plan, you may as well write it on your forehead.

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
I never had to call to pay for the secondary, apparently could do it online. Am I missing something?

I never had to call to pay for the secondary, apparently could do it online. Am I missing something?

You should double check because you can submit it online and they'll receive it, but they won't review until you've paid either by phone or check.

You should double check because you can submit it online and they'll receive it, but they won't review until you've paid either by phone or check.

Whaaa? I was able to pay for my secondary online w/ credit card.

I just got a "complete" email, as well. I'm kinda confused, though; I'm waiting on a DO letter that I listed as my (required) professional letter, but it says that all my required letters are in. The only thing I can think of is someone looked through the letters in my committee packet and assigned one of those as my professional letter. Or maybe the professional letter isn't really a strict requirement.

When did you all submit your secondaries who are receiving "complete" emails??

Submitted on 7/19 as well, haven't gotten an email yet :S

Last year the timeline for IIs more or less followed LizzyM scores, ie, better stats --> earlier interviews. It's possible the same trend will be present for this step.

do you guys know when the earliest II can be expected?