University of New Orleans Pre-med transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

douguhlis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys
This is my first post, not sure if I'm doing it right...we'll see

I'm currently at Delgado CC and I plan on transferring to UNO this fall. Are there any other pre-meds out there at UNO? Do you like it? Should I consider another school? I want to stay in Louisiana for med school, ideally LSU nola or Shreveport...but i would go anywhere in the US that accepts me. I'm 25 and came back to school last January. I have a 3.2 gpa... kind of low, but I'm cleaning up the 1.5 gpa I had when I was 19. I'm first generation Brazilian-American and the first in my family (both in Brazil and the US) to attend college. I don't have any doctors in my family and I really don't know any. My mentor and health care provider is an NP. I feel like I'm going about this blindly, but I have been taking all of the required courses at my CC. Any advice will help me so much. Thanks in advance guys!

-Douguhlis

Members don't see this ad.

Coincidentally I am attending Delgado Community college currently. I have only taken General bio 1 and General Chem 1 both with labs, genetics, microbiology and about 30 other credits. I was looking to also transfer to UNO for the Fall..I was actually thinking of taking at least General chem 2 and bio 2 before transferring. I am highly unsure at this moment.
What are you thinking of majoring at UNO?

I also think UNO is a fine school for being pre-med. I have met several physicians who have attended UNO and are now attending for Ochsner Medical Center.

Last edited:
It's less about which school you go to and more about how well you perform at said school. Also meet with a pre-med advisor asap after transferring

Members don't see this ad :)
It's less about which school you go to and more about how well you perform at said school. Also meet with a pre-med advisor asap after transferring
Are they the ones who guide you in the right direction? Like when you should start preparing for the MCAT, and start applications. I also need some shadowing experience, do you just ask around? How many hours should a premed shadow? I'm a weekend server, but that's nothing special.

Coincidentally I am attending Delgado Community college currently. I have only taken General bio 1 and General Chem 1 both with labs, genetics, microbiology and about 30 other credits. I was looking to also transfer to UNO for the Fall..I was actually thinking of taking at least General chem 2 and bio 2 before transferring. I am highly unsure at this moment.
What are you thinking of majoring at UNO?

I also think UNO is a fine school for being pre-med. I have met several physicians who have attended UNO and are now attending for Ochsner Medical Center.
That's awesome! Yeah I don't know anyone who went as a pre-med. Two of my favorite instructors went there for grad school, and they praise their Biology department.
I want to major in Biology. I've taken Bio 1 and 2 lectures and labs, and micro. Next week I'm starting Chem 1 lecture/lab and Genetics. Ideally I'll finish Chem 2 over the summer. I want to be at UNO this fall as well. I'm thinking Orgo and Physics simultaneously that fall and spring.

Are you majoring in Biology as well?

I have heard many good things about UNO. But in the end, in my opinion, school is what you make it. Where are you taking genetics btw? I just took genetics this fall, and it was tough AF..Although I felt that it was mostly because it was the instructor's first time teaching the course. I took it at Delgado.

I think I want to major in biology as well or chemistry. But I was also looking at the medical technology bachelor program at LSUHSC. I am trying to decide.