University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Application Thread (2011-2011 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

movingfwd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There wasn't a thread for University of North Carolina (UNC) at Chapel Hill yet so I will start one here. Who's applying to UNC this year? Let's use this thread to ask & answer questions. We can also post our stats. Good luck, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone applying to UNC? There's gotta be a few of you

To the upcoming applicants, let me know if you have any questions...

Members don't see this ad :)
To the upcoming applicants, let me know if you have any questions...

Do you have any idea what the minimum and average PCATs are for UNC? I have heard different things. I will be applying for 2012 and really want the Asheville campus for personal reasons.

i'm on the fence if i should apply, i'm out of state and i know there's very limited seating for out-of-state students. maybe its worth a shot?

I completed phase 2 of the applications yesterday, submitted, and paid the fee...There was no required essay...Is this all of the supplemental app? It seems to easy...

i'm on the fence if i should apply, i'm out of state and i know there's very limited seating for out-of-state students. maybe its worth a shot?

I think you should apply. Someone once told me never to count yourself out until they (admissions/selection committee) do. Things will work themselves out. :)

I completed phase 2 of the applications yesterday, submitted, and paid the fee...There was no required essay...Is this all of the supplemental app? It seems to easy...
Ya I'm in the same boat, I figure there has to be more to it than just filling out whether you're a state resident?

When do interviews start? My app has been complete for more than a month.

I'm debating on if should apply to UNC this year as well and I would really appreciate if someone would give their opinion of my application!

School: NC State (in-state status obviously)
Class: Junior
GPA: 3.82 (including As in all Bio and OChem classes)
PCAT: 88 composite (95 on Chem, 90 on Bio, 88 on Quant, 63 on VA :(, 57 on RC :()
Extras: Worked as a pharmacy technician since May 2011, dean's list every semester, volunteered for a year at a hospital pharmacy, lots of volunteering through clubs at NCSU, etc
References: Pharmacy managers at work and at the hospital I volunteered at

I am worried that not having my degree yet is going to hurt my application (only 17% got in without one last year). Also, my PCAT composite is a little above average at UNC but my VA and RC sections were bad, mainly because I put all my focus on chem, bio and quant. So fire away! Give me your opinions, especially anyone who is already at Eshelman :).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm debating on if should apply to UNC this year as well and I would really appreciate if someone would give their opinion of my application!

PCAT: 88 composite (95 on Chem, 90 on Bio, 88 on Quant, 63 on VA :(, 57 on RC :()
Extras: Worked as a pharmacy technician since May 2011, dean's list every semester, volunteered for a year at a hospital pharmacy, lots of volunteering through clubs at NCSU, etc

I am worried that not having my degree yet is going to hurt my application (only 17% got in without one last year). Also, my PCAT composite is a little above average at UNC but my VA and RC sections were bad, mainly because I put all my focus on chem, bio and quant. So fire away! Give me your opinions, especially anyone who is already at Eshelman :).

I currently work for UNC Healthcare and have several friends who graduated from the program. I've heard that UNC is wanting to move towards requiring a bachelors degree.

Hey Everyone,
Has anyone received an email from UNC letting them know that their application was received? I submitted mine through PharmCas months ago and paid the supplemental fee in August. The only email I have received was confirmation of my $80 payment.....
All my other schools have send emails letting me know my application was received....

Interview Oct 20.

I'm from out of state...I didn't know they interviewed so early! I'm so excited!

I'm an out-of-state applicant (from California!). Got invited for an interview on 10/20!!

I was also invited to interview on 10/20, in-state. Just curious if anyone knows/has thoughts on if it's good or bad to be invited to interview so early.

Edit: 4.0 GPA, 86 PCAT Composite. Kind of surprised I got invited so early due to the borderline UNC average PCAT and almost zero pharmacy experience. I have done a lot of research though, and I'm interested in the PharmD/PhD, so I wonder if that's why.

Last edited:
I was also invited to interview on 10/20, in-state. Just curious if anyone knows/has thoughts on if it's good or bad to be invited to interview so early.

Edit: 4.0 GPA, 86 PCAT Composite. Kind of surprised I got invited so early due to the borderline UNC average PCAT and almost zero pharmacy experience. I have done a lot of research though, and I'm interested in the PharmD/PhD, so I wonder if that's why.
Good. Being invited for an interview any time is good. You should be very confident going into the interview with those stats.

I will be interviewing on 10/20 also, I'm instate, 3.5 GPA, 86 Composite with extensive healthcare experience.

Today was awesome! Can't wait to hear how it went :)

Today was awesome, so nice meeting all the other applicants and such a great interview experience! Can't wait to hear back, I'm so anxious.

I'm interviewing on Nov 4th and I'm from out-of-state. So besides being "awesome" how did the interview day go? Any other comments or tips?

I've already booked my plane tickets, but still trying to figure out where to stay. Any help would be appreciated.

Your stats are almost identical to my roommate's (who also went to State), although he had a bachelor's. I'd say go for it.

I'm interviewing on Nov 4th and I'm from out-of-state. So besides being "awesome" how did the interview day go? Any other comments or tips?

I've already booked my plane tickets, but still trying to figure out where to stay. Any help would be appreciated.

I stayed at the Residence Inn at 101 Erwin Road. They have a UNC rate of $109 per night, and the bus stop is right next to it. The buses there are free and the ride itself only takes about 20 minutes (I took the D bus). Taking the cab to the hotel from RDU takes about 30 minutes and cost me about $40 per ride.

The interview itself took me about 20 minutes. Two professors interviewed me, one who was involved with research and one who is a community pharmacist. I personally found the interview rather conversational and not as stressful as I thought it would be.

It was divided into three phases: the campus tour, the student services information, and the interview. At the end, we had a Q&A with the students there. Everything went smoothly, from what I've experienced, and everyone was quite friendly and approachable.

I stayed at the Residence Inn at 101 Erwin Road. They have a UNC rate of $109 per night, and the bus stop is right next to it. The buses there are free and the ride itself only takes about 20 minutes (I took the D bus). Taking the cab to the hotel from RDU takes about 30 minutes and cost me about $40 per ride.

The interview itself took me about 20 minutes. Two professors interviewed me, one who was involved with research and one who is a community pharmacist. I personally found the interview rather conversational and not as stressful as I thought it would be.

It was divided into three phases: the campus tour, the student services information, and the interview. At the end, we had a Q&A with the students there. Everything went smoothly, from what I've experienced, and everyone was quite friendly and approachable.

Thanks for the info! Was the interview open or closed file?

The interview is closed file

Just received my acceptance letter! I'm out of state.

Congrats! I interviewed on 10/20 also but havent heard back yet. Just curious what exactly did your letter say just you are accepted? And was it email?

I also was accepted, but will be giving up my seat... so good news for one of you!

Just received my acceptance letter! I'm out of state.

Happy for you (seriously, congrats!), but sad for me. UNC was my first choice and I haven't heard anything. I thought my interview went well. :(

Congrats! I interviewed on 10/20 also but havent heard back yet. Just curious what exactly did your letter say just you are accepted? And was it email?

It was an email. It basically just said I was accepted and when I had to turn my deposit in. I'm supposed to be getting an acceptance letter in the mail in 5-7 business days.

It was an email. It basically just said I was accepted and when I had to turn my deposit in. I'm supposed to be getting an acceptance letter in the mail in 5-7 business days.

Congrats, I've been keeping an eye out for an email, they said it could take up to two weeks. So far nothing, I guess no news is better than a hold or rejection.

The interview is closed file

Hi im interviewing november 4th and kind of nervous. Can you tell me some of the questions they asked during the interview? Thanks!

axtper,

if you click on the link at the top of this site there is an interview feedback link. i found it very helpful in preparing for my interview on october 20th and i completed the survey afterwards so feel free to go there and see some of the questions i was asked as well as other peoples posts too.

Has anyone else that interviewed on Oct. 20th heard anything back from UNC yet? I saw above a couple people did.

my stats are:

Out of State
GPA: 3.77 at current school, 3.01 at previous school
PCAT: 94 percentile (all areas above 70)
Research and volunteer experience, but no pharmacy related experience

How do my stats sound?

my stats are:

Out of State
GPA: 3.77 at current school, 3.01 at previous school
PCAT: 94 percentile (all areas above 70)
Research and volunteer experience, but no pharmacy related experience

How do my stats sound?

I was accepted out of state my stats were
GPA: 3.4
PCAT: 91
about a yr of pharmacy experience
president of chem society and founder and pres. of the pre pharm club

Has anyone else that interviewed on Oct. 20th heard anything back from UNC yet? I saw above a couple people did.

No, and it's killing me. I have an interview at Campbell on Thursday and I'd really hoped to hear before then. :(

No, and it's killing me. I have an interview at Campbell on Thursday and I'd really hoped to hear before then. :(

It's killing me too. I mean some people found out in a week? I don't know if that's a good or bad thing since I haven't heard anything yet. I need to make travel arrangements for other interviews if I don't get in. Just tell me already, whatever the decision is lol

I am not for sure, but the people who heard back last week seemed to all be from out of state best I can tell. All of us in staters are still waiting it seems. I'm hoping we will hear something tomorrow or thursday :/ so anxious

I am not for sure, but the people who heard back last week seemed to all be from out of state best I can tell. All of us in staters are still waiting it seems. I'm hoping we will hear something tomorrow or thursday :/ so anxious

I'm out-of-state and interviewed on 10/20. I still havent heard anything as well. I think I may call tomorrow since they said 1-2 weeks. I have several other offers and dont want to put down a deposit anywhere until I have heard from UNC.

I applied in the middle of October and haven't received a confirmation email either. Has anyone that applied recently heard anything?

I applied in the middle of October and haven't received a confirmation email either. Has anyone that applied recently heard anything?

I paid my supplemental ~2 weeks ago & haven't received anything other than a conformation email that UNC received my payment. I never got conformation that my PharmCAS was received either, so I called admissions to make sure they had it before I even paid the supplemental.

I paid my supplemental ~2 weeks ago & haven't received anything other than a conformation email that UNC received my payment. I never got conformation that my PharmCAS was received either, so I called admissions to make sure they had it before I even paid the supplemental.

So they had received everything? Every other school I applied to at least contacted me once.