University of North Carolina Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phenylalanine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I am not certain if I will be attending UNC, but I don't think anyone had started this thread yet :)

Anyone going to the second look on 4/8??

Members don't see this ad.

I may be at another second look...but it would be really nice to meet (potentially) future classmates!

bobob said:
I may be at another second look...but it would be really nice to meet (potentially) future classmates!

Hey guys, I'll be at the second look, but very torn about decision to make...

Members don't see this ad :)
golftrippy said:
Hey guys, I'll be at the second look, but very torn about decision to make...

me too... but right now I am very much leaning toward UNC :)

phenylalanine said:
hold on now... leaning is bad for your posture, UNC over Chi and Darth... ? is this a $$$ decision?

I will be at second look, though my choice is down to three schools, the other two might may the decision for me...
mmmm.... coffee.... :scared:

phenylalanine said:

I will be at the UNC 2nd look too :)

I'll be there. Look forward to meeting some of you. I don't think you'll have any problem figuring out who I am given my super secretive user name.

Ross

roboyce said:
I'll be there. Look forward to meeting some of you. I don't think you'll have any problem figuring out who I am given my super secretive user name.

Ross

To all the ladies, I look just like Brad Pitt but taller. Some women liken my abs to the rolling hills of Southern Montana. :rolleyes:

I just started the U Penn class thread, I'll have to apply there for residency. Over zealous, super intelligent, IVY loosers... SOOooooo jealous :(

UNC-or-BUST said:
I just started the U Penn class thread, I'll have to apply there for residency. Over zealous, super intelligent, IVY loosers... SOOooooo jealous :(

Talking to people who haven't gotten in makes me want to strap my acceptance letter to my chest and walk around with an armed guard.... late lunch...

UNC-or-BUST said:
hold on now... leaning is bad for your posture, UNC over Chi and Darth... ? is this a $$$ decision?

hahaha I don't know where I will end up for sure, it changes from day to day.. and I am still waiting for another decision...

where else is everyone thinking besides UNC?

phenylalanine said:
hahaha I don't know where I will end up for sure, it changes from day to day.. and I am still waiting for another decision...

where else is everyone thinking besides UNC?

SO I take it you haven't heard from "that other school yet"? :) I am still deciding between UNC and Northwestern but I lean closer and closer to UNC each day...

Does anyone know the dress code for 2nd look weekend...formal/informal?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think in the letter it said, "skin skin skin for girls" yeah that sounds about right.
Waiting on Duke and CCLCM and Baylor....mmmm... non-alphabetical order

UNC-or-BUST said:
I think in the letter it said, "skin skin skin for girls" yeah that sounds about right.
Waiting on Duke and CCLCM and Baylor....mmmm... non-alphabetical order

HAHAHA :)

hahahahahaha
no hpm4, not yet. but I am not holding my breath.

i would like to know about the dress code for the 2nd visit too!

anyone knows when we will hear back from financial aid?

Dress shoes, pants, and shirts for boys.
Dress shoes, ...................... for girls.

That joke is going to get old, but not yet.
I hope my girl friend doesn't read this site... :rolleyes:

Am I the first girl on this thread? Have mercy...

Anyways, I'm waiting to hear from one school next week, but it looks like UNC for me :) I'll see you guys at 2nd Look. I'll be the girl, the one with clothes on ;)

sweetdoc

And it would be nice to hear about financial aid, sometime soon.

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:

Anyways, I'm waiting to hear from one school next week, but it looks like UNC for me :) I'll see you guys at 2nd Look. I'll be the girl, the one with clothes on ;)

sweetdoc

hahaha sweetdoc, you are too funny!

by the way, I just called the admissions office, the dress code for the 2nd visit day is CASUAL.. just CASUAL! :)

sweetdoc said:

sweetdoc

Sorry guys, it looks like sweetdoc and I will both be girls wearing clothes :)

pity.... ;)
probably for the best, the dress code is apparently casual, and I'm assuming this normal casual and not nudist casual.
haven't even started classes yet and I am the werid guy... :cool:

UNC-or-BUST said:
pity.... ;)
probably for the best, the dress code is apparently casual, and I'm assuming this normal casual and not nudist casual.
haven't even started classes yet and I am the werid guy... :cool:

we always, ALWAYS need a wierd one in any group!!! so you are aight :)

phenylalanine said:
we always, ALWAYS need a wierd one in any group!!! so you are aight :)
in a class of this szie we need a couple werids ones, I'll be werid eccentric and now we need 'werid oh no he/she is not really doing what I think he/she is doing...?' :eek:

Okay.

So I didn't want to start another one of those annoying this-school-or-that-school threads, but I do need some opinions. Right now, my choice is UNC v. Emory. I'm 90% leaning toward UNC, but curious about the reputation of both. I know that your residency depends on how well you do in med school, but is either school known for producing more quality/successful residents on a national level?

Sorry for being annoying,
sweetdoc

Probably Emory, but whats your fin aid look like, similar? are you in-state?
THe nice things about UNC is that besides a top25 reputation outside the US, NC hospitals look favorably on NC students, to keep them instate and from my understanding Duke is included, Durham and NC give them huge tax breaks, thus the politics likely favor a push to keep instaters instate.

Thanks for the input.

I'm instate here and I haven't complete my fin aid at Emory yet. It'll probably be heinous since parental info is required. I'll probably stay in NC for residency if I go to UNC so the tax break info is very cool. Thanks again :)

sweetdoc

sweetdoc,

i know how u feel about this school that school... for me right now, it's between here and pritzker, and i bet we are both waiting for the same school to release next week, which i don't think i'll get in (by the by, do u know when exactly? I have heard from 27, 28, to 31).

I am also an nc resident
anyone has any thought b/w here and pritzker? hahahaha

phenylalanine said:
sweetdoc,

i know how u feel about this school that school... for me right now, it's between here and pritzker, and i bet we are both waiting for the same school to release next week, which i don't think i'll get in (by the by, do u know when exactly? I have heard from 27, 28, to 31).

I am also an nc resident
anyone has any thought b/w here and pritzker? hahahaha
I did as well, mostly for the MBA ability. The school didn't impress me, i think nicer than UNC but the weather was a kicker. The students didn't seem as happy as I would like and I heard various comments plus or minus about admin.
They weren't giving me any cash either, 8K a year at UNC not bad....

UNC-or-BUST said:
I did as well, mostly for the MBA ability. The school didn't impress me, i think nicer than UNC but the weather was a kicker. The students didn't seem as happy as I would like and I heard various comments plus or minus about admin.
Anyone here on Duke's waitlist

UNC-or-BUST said:

so u got ur financial aid package at Priztker already?? 8k at unc.. that's the tuition a year right?

so b/w unc and chicago, it is unc for you? :)

Bust, did you get your fin aid from UNC already or are you just generally talking about 8k in-state tuition? I was invited to be on Duke's waitlist, but I declined. I really want this process to be done by the end of April. Right now my choices are UNC and Emory and we'll see about that school that releases next week.

Phenyl, I've heard various things on SDN but the website says the letters are mailed on March 31, so that's the date I'm sticking with. :luck: to us :)

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
Bust, did you get your fin aid from UNC already or are you just generally talking about 8k in-state tuition? I was invited to be on Duke's waitlist, but I declined. I really want this process to be done by the end of April. Right now my choices are UNC and Emory and we'll see about that school that releases next week.

Phenyl, I've heard various things on SDN but the website says the letters are mailed on March 31, so that's the date I'm sticking with. :luck: to us :)

sweetdoc
Well good luck with Yale, UPenn first tier is pretty good they took several people last year. I took my choices down too, applied 25, interviews at almost all, but only kept UNC, CCLCM, and Duke. UNC is nice but CCLCM was amazing. I think I applied to the most diverse set of three top 25's. UNC cheap and great school, Duke expensive and top 5, and CCLCM small class size, 32, expensive but research heavy, five year program.

Overall, I can't loose, UNC would be sweet, sooo cheap I know the area, parents 30 minutes away, gf in nursing school there( UNC SHOULD HAVE REALLY SOLD THE NURSING SCHOOL, 300 young attractive females, lunch time is 1pm.... at the HEALTH AFFAIRS BOOKSTORE if you have a chance it truely is a sight to behold), very chill atmosphere,

UNC-or-BUST said:
Anyone here on Duke's waitlist

I am on Duke's waitlist too....and trying to decide between Northwestern and UNC but leaning heavily towards UNC...

As for Emory Sweetdoc, I didn't get an interview for med school there but I visited the med campus and Atlanta with a friend and I would say that Atlanta is great if you want a bigger city feel with bigger city problems included but I HATED the no pass/fail curriculum (I have heard such bad things about letter grades and competitiveness in med school) so I wasn't upset when I didnt get an interview. And I know you have heard this before, but where did you feel you fit in better? Where will you be happier?

hpm4 said:
And I know you have heard this before, but where did you feel you fit in better? Where will you be happier?
Well thats some crappy advice, you choose a school based on how good you look in their school colors....or not, which ever. :laugh:

UNC-or-BUST said:
Well thats some crappy advice, you choose a school based on how good you look in their school colors....or not, which ever. :laugh:

I was trying to be philosophical with my advice Bust....is baby blue your color sweetdoc??? :)
:laugh:

i didn't even apply to duke.. I was so high strung on if I stay in this area, I would come to UNC over Duke (one of the two main reasons is because I came here for undergrad., so :love: tar heel) .. but now in retrospect, alittle bit of me wished I had applied to Duke cause I kind of like the idea of finishing med school bascially in 3 years..tho, I dunno, with that lacross team thing, Duke I would say is looking pretty bad right now...

Does anyone know when we find out the maximum financial aid we can take out through the school? I have a car payment and I am trying to figure out if I can I afford to keep living on my own :)

Are all of you planning on living in Chapel Hill?

I am curious too.. does anyone know when we will get our award letter? it has the power to make my decision one way or the other.

hpm: no, I am planning to buy a house/townhouse woodcroft-southpoint area in durham if I stay

hpm4 said:
I was trying to be philosophical with my advice Bust....is baby blue your color sweetdoc??? :)
:laugh:

I cannot tell a lie. I actually have thought about this :eek: 'Carolina' blue is the color for me ;)

As far as the whole 'feel' thing goes, I liked my visit to Emory. The people there were almost more chill than the people at Yale. The campus/main hospital are gorgeous. The med school building was kind of dark, but they are building a new one. So I got a good feel for it.

Carolina was my first interview so I was in deer-in-headlights mode all day. My tour guides were nice. Dean Hoole was super nice and so was Mr. Keith. I guess I really didn't see much of the campus except for Berryhill and the applicant-cubby-hole. So I didn't get the best feel. At 2nd Look, I want to talk to more students and get a better feel for the campus (ie where's the gym and student center and do med students use both).

sweetdoc

PS - I'm looking into buying a townhouse/condo in Chapel Hill and looking to get a roommate to split the mortgage. How far is the commute from the Southpoint area to CH, phenyl?

sweetdoc said:
I cannot tell a lie. I actually have thought about this :eek: 'Carolina' blue is the color for me ;)

As far as the whole 'feel' thing goes, I liked my visit to Emory. The people there were almost more chill than the people at Yale. The campus/main hospital are gorgeous. The med school building was kind of dark, but they are building a new one. So I got a good feel for it.

Carolina was my first interview so I was in deer-in-headlights mode all day. My tour guides were nice. Dean Hoole was super nice and so was Mr. Keith. I guess I really didn't see much of the campus except for Berryhill and the applicant-cubby-hole. So I didn't get the best feel. At 2nd Look, I want to talk to more students and get a better feel for the campus (ie where's the gym and student center and do med students use both).

sweetdoc

PS - I'm looking into buying a townhouse/condo in Chapel Hill and looking to get a roommate to split the mortgage. How far is the commute from the Southpoint area to CH, phenyl?

sweetdoc:
I right now work in the hospital and have many many coworkers living out in that area. the commute from southpoint to campus is about 10-15minutes taking the back roads. if you don't have a parking permit on campus, there is a park and ride right on 54. it takes about 10-15 minutes from getting on the bus to arriving at berryhill. not too bad at all. I been living in Chapel hill/carrboro for 7 years now (college then work) ... so I am really looking forward to moving away. if u are looking into buying in chapel hill/carrboro 1) very expensive 2) you can't help not to notice how much of a college town this is.... durham is more affordable.. and lots of professionals live out near southpoint developments... and it is also easier to get around since it is right off 40.

sweetdoc said:

sweetdoc

I am living by the Southpoint area in Durham right now and I plan on staying in that area. It's close to a lot of places to eat and the mall is right there. AND it is less expensive than Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I looked at apartmentsand townhouses in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and for the money you got a lot less square footage than in Durham. And there are places right off of I-40 and Hwy 54 where it takes me less than ten minutes to the parking lot (to catch the bus to campus) in the morning and there are always a bunch of med students on the bus with me so I assume thats what most of the do. If you have questions about areas sweetdoc, pm me :)

Phenyl....one of my good friends bought a townhouse off of woodcroft last year if you have any questions/concerns :)

I live in southern village, its pretty nice not too expensive. Two bedroom townhouse is $1150, nice yard, garage, swimming pool, tennis courts, and in the center is your own little town: coffee shop, resturants, food market, bank. Lots of kids... its alright, oh and movie theatre, small but during the summer they show movies on a big screen. About a minute from campus, N/S bus drop right off a the medical school. There is also a park/ride lot there so the really lazy people can drive the minute and then get on the bus

hpm4 said:
I am living by the Southpoint area in Durham right now and I plan on staying in that area. It's close to a lot of places to eat and the mall is right there. AND it is less expensive than Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I looked at apartmentsand townhouses in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and for the money you got a lot less square footage than in Durham. And there are places right off of I-40 and Hwy 54 where it takes me less than ten minutes to the parking lot (to catch the bus to campus) in the morning and there are always a bunch of med students on the bus with me so I assume thats what most of the do. If you have questions about areas sweetdoc, pm me :)

Phenyl....one of my good friends bought a townhouse off of woodcroft last year if you have any questions/concerns :)

yeah, h. do u think it's a good idea to buy?

phenylalanine said:
yeah, h. do u think it's a good idea to buy?

It depends on your situation....for me, I am going to rent at least for the first year. I don't know how much time outside of med school I will have and owning is a lot more maintenance work than renting. That being said, if you get a practically new place, the maintenance will be minimal and with renting I am just throwing money away. And then there are the financial questions....can you afford a downpayment? Extra appliances like a lawnmower? Will you be able to pay the mortage on your own or will that tie you to roommates? And from my perspective, renting in this area is so much less expensive than in other areas, I feel like it is worth renting another year to make sure I am not biting off more I can chew...it has been awhile since I have lived on financial aid and I want to be realistic about lifestyle expenses (i.e. beer money...j/k) You know my PM if you have any specific questions and I can give you my friend's email, I'm sure she would answer any buyer's questions...(I do know that she is somewhat regretting buying this soon because, for one reason, she needs roommates to help with the mortage and they are not as easy to come by as one would think)

Hope this helps!

bump.

I think if I can budget well, a moderately priced house or condo wouldn't be that big of a stretch for me. I've been living off of lateral-entry teacher pay for the past two years, which after taxes, is probably a little more than I'll get for living expenses next year. :)

sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
bump.

I think if I can budget well, a moderately priced house or condo wouldn't be that big of a stretch for me. I've been living off of lateral-entry teacher pay for the past two years, which after taxes, is probably a little more than I'll get for living expenses next year. :)

sweetdoc
YOU HAVE GOT TO LOVE THIS WEATHER, spring time in NC is truely heaven on earth, if love is in the air then you must be breathing fresh NC HEPA filtered air!!!! :love:

UNC-or-BUST said:
YOU HAVE GOT TO LOVE THIS WEATHER, spring time in NC is truely heaven on earth, if love is in the air then you must be breathing fresh NC HEPA filtered air!!!! :love:
not as proud of that comment now that the coffee is wearing off...
Anyone see the USNWR rankings?
Research: UNC #20
Primary Care: UNC #2
average: UNC #11

Actually if average and use that to determine, total ranking UNC would probably be #7, a lot of the top research schools are pretty far back in the primary care, BALANCE!!!

Its also nice to see the construction starting to move away from the medical school area, new buildings and less noise...

*does the cabbage patch*

Go UNC! It's your birthday. We gon' party like it's your birthday...

woot,
sweetdoc

sweetdoc said:
*does the cabbage patch*

Go UNC! It's your birthday. We gon' party like it's your birthday...

woot,
sweetdoc
I have no idea whats going on, the "cabbage patch" ??? :confused: