University of North Carolina Class of 2010 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sweetdoc said:
About the apartment complexes.

I went to Carrboro to look at some complexes out there: Autumn Woods, Sterling Brook, and Poplar Place. I was definitely surprised to see how expensive everything was - $650-750 for a one bedroom. I definitely liked Autumn Woods the best so far. It's the newest complex in Carrboro, the property is nice + woodsy, the gym is being updated as I type, and the CX stops right in front of the place.

I'm still looking into buying but there doesn't seem to be that much on the market. I think I might just rent b/c the idea of living by myself seems sweeter day by day. I'll be going back to CH next weekend to look at Timber Creek, Rock Creek, and maybe a few other places.

Does anybody have any helpful info when it comes to finding a reasonable, safe, close apartment in the area?

sweetdoc

Ross....you did meet me...haha, I talked to you on the way in (I was the guy with the red-hair buzzed from Wake), but I saw your name tag later, and didn't want to be creppy, "are you roboyce?" guy. Anyway, good post, and I agree with a lot of your post. I guess I am more judgmental of people from this area and thats more frustration because part of me really wants to leave for a while...but I understand what an amazing opportunity UNC would be at the same time. It's a tough decision I'm going to have to make. Luckily both Brown and UNC are good schools (but really different) but UNC would save a lot of money and I can't find any good reason to not go.

Members don't see this ad.

golftrippy said:
Ross....you did meet me...haha, I talked to you on the way in (I was the guy with the red-hair buzzed from Wake), but I saw your name tag later, and didn't want to be creppy, "are you roboyce?" guy. Anyway, good post, and I agree with a lot of your post. I guess I am more judgmental of people from this area and thats more frustration because part of me really wants to leave for a while...but I understand what an amazing opportunity UNC would be at the same time. It's a tough decision I'm going to have to make. Luckily both Brown and UNC are good schools (but really different) but UNC would save a lot of money and I can't find any good reason to not go.

golf: I just want to say I totally understand your frustration and wanting to leave for a while, I am really sort of in the same position. i think the most important thing is really go to a place where you think you will be the happiest for the next four years, even if this requires a change of scenary. UNC is great and definitely has tremendous opportunities, but I truly believe you will be able to find what you want do be part of in any top rated med schools, including brown and pitt. Don't get me wrong, I love UNC (so much I couldn't even bring myself to apply to dook haha). But, don't let money be the only reason that keeps you here. I work in a hospital, and every physician I talked to tells me that, in the end, the difference in price is not at all significant. I don't know much about Brown, but we do have a resident who just came from brown in our department. He loves loves brown, though he did mention that Brown Med is the more conservative Ivy, not politically, but Brown does tend to have a stronger focus on primary care than the others. Anyways, he said that basically all brownies match into northeastern ivies for residency without any problem (he was however tired of the cold). He really enjoyed the small class size and the "perks" that come with it and with an Ivy education. Anyways, I have said too much. If you want to know more about brown or have any questions, feel free to msg me and I can ask them for you, or arrange you to talk to him in person.

Sorry I miss everyone at second look (I wasn't able to go) :( Sounds like you had a good time though and I look forward to seeing you in the fall!!

Did anyone find out when they tell us about the laptop we have to buy (i.e. the specs etc.)?

Members don't see this ad :)
WholeLottaGame7 said:
Right on, I'll be the guy in jeans, a plaid sportcoat and a striped turtleneck.

Also, I would meet you all at Starbucks if A) I actually drank coffee and B) hated sleep, but I don't do either so I'll have to see you all there at breakfast.
you had a nice fancy shirt on... it threw me off.

phenylalanine said:
first year P/F
starting second year H/P/F

food was great! didn't really enjoy the day tho... rainy... students do seem pretty monotomous.. but I guess UNC is a state school after all.
i think it gets even more H/HP/P/LP/F during clinical....

sweetdoc said:
About the apartment complexes.

I went to Carrboro to look at some complexes out there: Autumn Woods, Sterling Brook, and Poplar Place. I was definitely surprised to see how expensive everything was - $650-750 for a one bedroom. I definitely liked Autumn Woods the best so far. It's the newest complex in Carrboro, the property is nice + woodsy, the gym is being updated as I type, and the CX stops right in front of the place.

I'm still looking into buying but there doesn't seem to be that much on the market. I think I might just rent b/c the idea of living by myself seems sweeter day by day. I'll be going back to CH next weekend to look at Timber Creek, Rock Creek, and maybe a few other places.

Does anybody have any helpful info when it comes to finding a reasonable, safe, close apartment in the area?

sweetdoc
autumn woods is a quick busride in. its a lot cheaper if you share with some people. i know 3 people who share and pay very little there. a lot of people rented at first and kept there eyes peeled for a good buy. its a LOT cheaper to buy on the outskirts near durham. real estate is high commodity in the hill. more houses will come on the market too - they go fast though. a house on my block went into contract after 2 weeks. under 800 sq feet for 200K. *shakes head*

if you want to live closer to classes and walk, you can pay the same amount 650-700 for a single. i know for a fact that there are at least 2 available now. 1 on mccauley - look at louise beck real estate web site.

another good resource if you want to look for a housemate is the graduate school website at unc. it has a bulletin board for people seeking places/people. thats how i found my housemate and we get along great. its nice to live with someone who isnt in your program, so you can escape med school sometimes.

the only area that i know of that is a little shady is that area just beyond rosemary behind where those new condos are by the "fuse" bar.

:laugh: awwww. roboy.... you didn't look preppy toting that army bag around. was that megdog! i was talking to a meg d. for a while. its funny how the sdn'ers gravitate.

man oh man i am not paying any attention to parasites. so hard right after a test.

my reason for appearing here was to let all you know about the
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: orientation camping trip :thumbup:
it will be in virginia in the mountains just days before orientation. we should be getting info out to you with mailings from the school. we had it for the first time last year and it was a blast. those who went became real tight and i still consider them amongst may fave classmates. so keep your eyes peeled and i will post info when i get details from the ladies who are all detailing the trip.

I leave this thread alone for one night and look what happens... intellectual conversation!!! :thumbdown:

seethrew said:
you had a nice fancy shirt on... it threw me off.

Yeah did you like that? Did you notice the creases in it from where I just took it out of the wrapper the day before and didn't iron it? Hope you enjoyed it, it won't come out that much. I'll be the guy in class who's always wearing shorts and a T-shirt in summer and warm-up pants and a hooded sweatshirt in winter, assuming I have nothing else going on that day. Sadly for everyone else who has to share a room with me, comfort typically trumps fashion. Anyway, I heard patients dig the casual look.

I thought the style statement you UNC students made by wearing huge UNC T-shirts over whatever you wore that day was fabulous, by the way. Ironic that roboyce just made that huge treatise on geography and style. Speaking of roboyce, I'm pretty sure he popped his collar and threw on his aviator sunglasses as soon as he was out of view from everybody else.

WholeLottaGame7 said:
I thought the style statement you UNC students made by wearing huge UNC T-shirts over whatever you wore that day was fabulous, by the way. Ironic that roboyce just made that huge treatise on geography and style.
it was all the admissions offices design. they wanted us to appear as if we were living large. extra extra large.

UNC-or-BUST said:
I leave this thread alone for one night and look what happens... intellectual conversation!!! :thumbdown:

Intellectual is a relative term...

In other news, 2nd look weekends are awkward for me. Typically when I meet someone for the first time, I feel like I'm cheating someone (and myself) if I only talk to them long enough to get name/school/graduation year. I'd much rather have a slightly longer, more informative discussion. However, this is difficult with 100+ unknown people around. So then it becomes, do I talk to many people for a short amount of time each or a few people for a longer amount of time? It's pretty much lose-lose because one way I see a lot of people's faces but very little about them (like remembering their names), the other way I leave large numbers of people unmet, which is why I know I didn't get to talk to many of the people in here. Faced with this dilemma, I typically try to do neither in favor of shutting down and hiding in a corner. Thankfully, I've trained myself to be social for the most part.

Anyway, the point of that rambling was to say that A) I have issues, and B) I apologize if I didn't get to meet all of you, but assuming I choose UNC, I hope to get to know you all better at orientation/once class starts.

phenylalanine said:
golf: I just want to say I totally understand your frustration and wanting to leave for a while, I am really sort of in the same position. i think the most important thing is really go to a place where you think you will be the happiest for the next four years, even if this requires a change of scenary. UNC is great and definitely has tremendous opportunities, but I truly believe you will be able to find what you want do be part of in any top rated med schools, including brown and pitt. Don't get me wrong, I love UNC (so much I couldn't even bring myself to apply to dook haha). But, don't let money be the only reason that keeps you here. I work in a hospital, and every physician I talked to tells me that, in the end, the difference in price is not at all significant. I don't know much about Brown, but we do have a resident who just came from brown in our department. He loves loves brown, though he did mention that Brown Med is the more conservative Ivy, not politically, but Brown does tend to have a stronger focus on primary care than the others. Anyways, he said that basically all brownies match into northeastern ivies for residency without any problem (he was however tired of the cold). He really enjoyed the small class size and the "perks" that come with it and with an Ivy education. Anyways, I have said too much. If you want to know more about brown or have any questions, feel free to msg me and I can ask them for you, or arrange you to talk to him in person.

Thanks phenyl...good luck with your decision too

Ok, back to finaid:

I just spoke with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. The kind woman there told me that they are in the last stages of processing awards for graduate students (us). She said that we should expect to receive an email from their office within the next week or two. The email will let us know that our application is complete and the award information is available on myUNC. That sounds a little more reasonable to me. I have no idea what the med school finaid office is talking about...maybe disbersement of funds or signing promissary notes?

Trippy: So that was you, huh? Are you headed to Brown second look later this month? I don't think I can afford the travel. I spent some extra time up there when I interviewed so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what they offer.

As for housing, I'm looking to buy, most likely something in the 2BR/2BA range. I've found quite a few in the Finley Forest area to the east of campus. That puts you within a few miles of campus, which is certainly within the distance I'm willing to ride my bike. Although, I need to check the safety of the route. One poor guy in my tour group got hit by a car a couple weeks ago. That's encouraging. I think next weekend I'm going to explore a little more, especially the area to the south of campus, which seems pretty residential.

R

roboyce said:
Ok, back to finaid:

I just spoke with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid. The kind woman there told me that they are in the last stages of processing awards for graduate students (us). She said that we should expect to receive an email from their office within the next week or two. The email will let us know that our application is complete and the award information is available on myUNC. That sounds a little more reasonable to me. I have no idea what the med school finaid office is talking about...maybe disbersement of funds or signing promissary notes?

Trippy: So that was you, huh? Are you headed to Brown second look later this month? I don't think I can afford the travel. I spent some extra time up there when I interviewed so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of what they offer.

As for housing, I'm looking to buy, most likely something in the 2BR/2BA range. I've found quite a few in the Finley Forest area to the east of campus. That puts you within a few miles of campus, which is certainly within the distance I'm willing to ride my bike. Although, I need to check the safety of the route. One poor guy in my tour group got hit by a car a couple weeks ago. That's encouraging. I think next weekend I'm going to explore a little more, especially the area to the south of campus, which seems pretty residential.

R

Ross-

yep I'm headed up to the second look, sorry you can't make it. If I go to UNC I might be buying myself and then renting to a roomate, we'll see...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ross -

That was me at your table. I recognized your name, but I never got a chance at lunch to say something. Plus, I felt a little shy about making the SDN connection :oops: . At any rate, it's nice to meet you now :) .

I agree with alot of what you said in your post...I was worried about the "fratasticness" (this was a new term I learned on Saturday) of UNC coming into the second look, but I actually didn't get that vibe from the med students I met. Plus, like you said, in a class of 160, I think there's a niche for everyone. I'm kindof comforted by the fact that there's a group of us who are a little preoccupied about the prep culture - that supports the niche theory right there.

megdog said:
Ross -

That was me at your table. I recognized your name, but I never got a chance at lunch to say something. Plus, I felt a little shy about making the SDN connection :oops: . At any rate, it's nice to meet you now :) .

I agree with alot of what you said in your post...I was worried about the "fratasticness" (this was a new term I learned on Saturday) of UNC coming into the second look, but I actually didn't get that vibe from the med students I met. Plus, like you said, in a class of 160, I think there's a niche for everyone. I'm kindof comforted by the fact that there's a group of us who are a little preoccupied about the prep culture - that supports the niche theory right there.

Nice. I can't believe how many of you I met (knowingly or not). That's crazy. I'm not sure why everyone is so shy about coming out from behind the veil of SDN, but I suppose it's that fear of a miss...and then looking foolish. After all, the "I met you on the internet" line really goes over well.

Well, best of luck to everyone in the finaid and housing process. Let us know what you hear.

R

Make sure you check for ridiculous hills before you buy a place with the intent of biking to school!

sooo, just a little update on the financial aid process. I called (again! haha) this morning and was told that we won't be getting anything until late may, which is a big improvement from the early July answer I got last time. Being irritated and all since late may is still too late, I asked her if she can check if I have gotten any merrit-based scholarship (both of my interviewers told me that they were going to recommend me for one). She went to check and came back and told me that my financial aid hasn't been packaged yet (in another word, they haven't even start processing my finan. aid, even tho I turned in early Feb), thus she won't be able to tell me anything.... ughhhhh

phenyl,

Did you talk to the general Fin Aid office or the Med School fin aid office? All of these different answers are confusing me!

sweetdoc

phenylalanine said:
sooo, just a little update on the financial aid process. I called (again! haha) this morning and was told that we won't be getting anything until late may, which is a big improvement from the early July answer I got last time. Being irritated and all since late may is still too late, I asked her if she can check if I have gotten any merrit-based scholarship (both of my interviewers told me that they were going to recommend me for one). She went to check and came back and told me that my financial aid hasn't been packaged yet (in another word, they haven't even start processing my finan. aid, even tho I turned in early Feb), thus she won't be able to tell me anything.... ughhhhh
How much fin aid do you need... I can help out. Crisp $5 bill with more to come ;) , invested correctly might amount to more than what UNC might give you

hahahah we are all up early today!

sweet: I called school of med financial aid, since I wanted to ask about scholarship and all

bust: lol 5 dollars will do! I was just wondering how much I'd need for lunch today. hahah but seriously, though much cheaper than private schools, 144,000 over 4 years is still a good amount, so i wanted to find out if I did get that merit thing

by the way, I just called grad student financial aid office ( boy am I on a rampage!!!) .. they just told me they do NOT do medical school's financial aid !!!! so.. I think late may it is.

phenylalanine said:
by the way, I just called grad student financial aid office ( boy am I on a rampage!!!) .. they just told me they do NOT do medical school's financial aid !!!! so.. I think late may it is.

Not sure what number you called, but this is the one I called:

Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid - (919)962-8396

The person on the phone called up my SSN, took a look at my paperwork and told me I should hear in the next two weeks. Of course, this was only after I pressed her. At first, she tried to tell me that the main office doesn't handle medical students. Then I explained that we have to make decisions soon and no one had any information. She relented and told me that they were just finishing up grad/professional students...or she lied to me. Who knows. I got the answer I wanted to keep me happy for at least the next two weeks. If May rolls around and I haven't heard anything, I will be back on the phone. It is my understanding that the main office handles EVERYTHING and then it gets pushed down to the med school office...just my impression.

Here's part of the email I received that makes me think this is true:

The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid has received your Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and/or the CSS PROFILE.
Before we can determine your eligibility for financial aid or revise an
existing financial aid award, we must have additional information that
verifies earlier reported or missing data. Failure to provide this
information will delay processing and ultimately affect your eligibility
for aid.

I doubt this really helps to ease your mind...sorry.

roboyce said:
Not sure what number you called, but this is the one I called:

Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid - (919)962-8396

The person on the phone called up my SSN, took a look at my paperwork and told me I should hear in the next two weeks. Of course, this was only after I pressed her. At first, she tried to tell me that the main office doesn't handle medical students. Then I explained that we have to make decisions soon and no one had any information. She relented and told me that they were just finishing up grad/professional students...or she lied to me. Who knows. I got the answer I wanted to keep me happy for at least the next two weeks. If May rolls around and I haven't heard anything, I will be back on the phone. It is my understanding that the main office handles EVERYTHING and then it gets pushed down to the med school office...just my impression.

Here's part of the email I received that makes me think this is true:

The Office of Scholarships and Student Aid has received your Free
Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and/or the CSS PROFILE.
Before we can determine your eligibility for financial aid or revise an
existing financial aid award, we must have additional information that
verifies earlier reported or missing data. Failure to provide this
information will delay processing and ultimately affect your eligibility
for aid.

I doubt this really helps to ease your mind...sorry.

recieved "Free App for Federal Student Aid"
free my a$$, I paid $75 to filled out the piece of red tape hill billy non-sense... haha thats a good one! yeah me!

I went down to the office in person and brought work with me, waiting expected!!! They told me this week or next...? Originally I went to the wrong office... apparently the fin aid offices actual have nothing to do with each other, speak separate languages, and only live under the same UNC flag b/c the grad school office failed in two civil wars to gain independence... (I guess while grad students are bigger and stronger than undergrads the numbers just don't work out...)
Still everyone in the office looked real busy... but I spent a summer as at Prestonwood Country Club as the pool maintaince guy, basically paid eye candy, and everyone said I always looked so busy, I'll I did to look busy was walk around every once in awhile with a screw driver... did about 3 hours of true work the whole summer!!!

BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE SAID:

Q: How many Bush Administration officials does it take to screw in a light bulb?

A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are a delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effect. Why do you hate freedom?

OR slight less funny:

How many members of the Bush administration does it take to change a light bulb?

1. One to deny that a light bulb needs to be changed;

2. One to attack the patriotism of anyone who says the light bulb needs to be changed;

3. One to blame Clinton for burning out the light bulb;

4. One to arrange the invasion of a country rumored to have a secret stockpile of light bulbs;

5. One to give a billion dollar no-bid contract to Halliburton for the new light bulb;

6. One to arrange a photograph of Bush, dressed as a janitor, standing on a step ladder under the banner: Light Bulb Change Accomplished;

7. One administration insider to resign and write a book documenting in detail how Bush was literally in the dark;

8. One to viciously smear #7;

9. One surrogate to campaign on TV and at rallies on how George Bush has had a strong light-bulb-changing policy all along;

10. And finally one to confuse Americans about the difference between screwing a light bulb and screwing the country.

Hey, we're going to be first years at UNC and we're looking for another female roommate for our house we move into in July... awesome location 10-15 min walk to classes and really close to Franklin Street. We like to have fun and we also like a clean kitchen :)
House has 3bed/2bath, W/D, DW, parking... if anyone's interested let me know and I can give more details, show pictures, etc

So I know sweetdoc and some others had questions about buying vs. renting so if anyone is interested in renting for a year or so before they buy to check out the area....my roommate and I are looking for a male to share our three bedroom/2.5 bath 2 story apartment....rent is $333/mth plus 1/3 of the utilities. The room is 12x11 and has its own bathroom and pretty large closet. The apartment complex is gated and has a pool, gym, tanning beds etc. If you want to look at it online the website is www.southterrace.com

It is about 10 minutes from the free park and ride and it is like a minute away from Southpoint mall and grocery stores and restaurants. PM if you are interested or if you know anyone who would be :)

Hi yall,

Did anybody get the Pre-Orientation link to work? I read the email and got all excited and then kaput. :(

sweetdoc

Nevermind, I got it to work. Leave off the .ht part and it should work. :)

sweetdoc

Thanks for the tip to get to the preorientation website... but is it just me or is the financial aid page not working? :confused:

UNC-or-BUST said:
I live in southern village, its pretty nice not too expensive. Two bedroom townhouse is $1150, nice yard, garage, swimming pool, tennis courts, and in the center is your own little town: coffee shop, resturants, food market, bank. Lots of kids... its alright, oh and movie theatre, small but during the summer they show movies on a big screen. About a minute from campus, N/S bus drop right off a the medical school. There is also a park/ride lot there so the really lazy people can drive the minute and then get on the bus

hey, i am new to sdn but i noticed you mentioned southern village. I am considering living there but would love to hear any advice you might have. are there any pros and/or cons you can think of?

Did everyone get the packet of information through the mail???

i did hpm...

I also have more updates on the financial aid process....after I checked out the pre-orientation package online, which says again that we won't get our financial aid packages until late may, I decided to call UNC med finan. again.... I explained to them that since I am holding multiple acceptances, I really need to have the package by may 15 because it is a big factor in my decision making process. she replied " the tracking process that determines how much financial aid each person in the incoming class is eligible for won't be done until late may, and that is when you will receive your package." ... "so, you are telling me that I am not able to include UNC in my decision making if it involves financial aid concerns"...."yup"..... sigh. . :thumbdown:

phenylalanine said:
i did hpm...

I also have more updates on the financial aid process....after I checked out the pre-orientation package online, which says again that we won't get our financial aid packages until late may, I decided to call UNC med finan. again.... I explained to them that since I am holding multiple acceptances, I really need to have the package by may 15 because it is a big factor in my decision making process. she replied " the tracking process that determines how much financial aid each person in the incoming class is eligible for won't be done until late may, and that is when you will receive your package." ... "so, you are telling me that I am not able to include UNC in my decision making if it involves financial aid concerns"...."yup"..... sigh. . :thumbdown:

Unfortunately that is the same response I got too.....are you leaning one way to the other (or I guess 1 of 4 ways ) :)

a silly and quick ?: if i am out-of-state now and choose to attend unc, can i apply for nc residency for the 2nd-4th yr? or i have to pay for the oos tuitions for all 4 yrs? (funny how oos also stands for out-of-stock)
UNC-or-BUST said:
WOW.... JULY!!!
:scared:
Thats not good... I mean I wasn't getting any fin aid but still... one of the major things going for UNC is cost.
Maybe UNC should start this whole process a month or two earlier than other schools... :thumbup:

RobHan said:
a silly and quick ?: if i am out-of-state now and choose to attend unc, can i apply for nc residency for the 2nd-4th yr? or i have to pay for the oos tuitions for all 4 yrs? (funny how oos also stands for out-of-stock)

hey robhan! welcome to UNC. I am not exactly sure on this residency thing... my residency here was hard earned (nothing through undergrad). but on the interview day, Mr. Keith told couple of the oos that he doesn't know any oos who didn't get residency before they graduate. for more info, I would just call them and ask.

RobHan said:

I asked this questions, and apparently in order to establish residency for tuition purposes, you have to file your taxes, register to vote, and register your car in the state of North Carolina. Basically, as long as you make an effort, you will only pay out of state tuition your first year.

Pretty good deal!!

hpm4 said:
Did everyone get the packet of information through the mail???

Has anyone heard anything about the ICM preceptorship? Good/bad things about choosing each specialty? Having trouble deciding what specialty and where to choose!! This is a 2 yr commitment, and it's due May 1st, that seems really early.

All NC SDN people that want to meet in Chapel Hill to hang out and meet the crew. List name, date available (add anything else that might be important)

UNC-or-BUST, 5/27 or 6/3

4moreatunc said:
Has anyone heard anything about the ICM preceptorship? Good/bad things about choosing each specialty? Having trouble deciding what specialty and where to choose!! This is a 2 yr commitment, and it's due May 1st, that seems really early.
was this in that packet, dam I better read that :rolleyes:

talked to Ms. Alston today, she said we will have our financial aid package before may 15. finally.....

I committed today. Dropped everywhere else. I will be at UNC next year.

roboyce said:
I committed today. Dropped everywhere else. I will be at UNC next year.

ahhh that must feel soooo good. I hope soon I can say I am committed to somewhere myself

Howdy folks. Still waiting here. I was wondering if anyone can provide details on the required computer? Specs? Gracias.

Hey guys--dropping my other schools. I'll be at UNC next year. woohoo!

Hooray for roboyce and golftrippy!

sweetdoc

Sp I was told by financial aid this morning that we wont hear until late may about our finaid awards.....???

hpm4 said:
Sp I was told by financial aid this morning that we wont hear until late may about our finaid awards.....???

ugh... for real? they been giving us the run arounds.... man, if I don't hear anything by May 14, I am going to drop unc like it's hot :mad:

Anything on scholarships?