University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Arghh I forgot all about it until I saw this lol

Reactions: 1 user
Let me add to the anxiety.... LESS THAN ONE WEEK 'TIL TEXAS MATCH DAY!!!:xf:

Good luck to everyone! It will be here before we know it. Heck, school starts in less than 6 months! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else keep getting emails from med school army people?

Anyone else keep getting emails from med school army people?
I've asked to unsubscribe from them a couple of times. It just doesn't stop. I'm willing to bet that this will continue for the rest of my poor email's lifespan.....

OOS interviewed way back in last year...
I'm waitlisted...

What is my chance of getting in at this point?

OOS interviewed way back in last year...
I'm waitlisted...

What is my chance of getting in at this point?

If you're officially waitlisted, anything can happen up until orientation week.

My application status just changed from "under review" to "complete"

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in Oct.

Hmm, from what I've gathered it seems most of our statuses went from "under review" to an "offline pending the match" status.

Maybe call and see what's up?

Hmm, from what I've gathered it seems most of our statuses went from "under review" to an "offline pending the match" status.

Maybe call and see what's up?
Yeah, mine says
"Application status is offline pending the results of February 3, 2014 medical school admissions match."
And on the bottom of the page it says
"This application is Complete."

Quick question. I prematched back in November and on the student center page on myHSC, my status just changed from a green check (admitted) to the orange triangle (Incomplete). What is everyone seeing on your student center page?

I did rank another school higher than TCOM and I'm thinking if this is of any indication that my offer here is withdrawn due to match at top choice?

Quick question. I prematched back in November and on the student center page on myHSC, my status just changed from a green check (admitted) to the orange triangle (Incomplete). What is everyone seeing on your student center page?

I did rank another school higher than TCOM and I'm thinking if this is of any indication that my offer here is withdrawn due to match at top choice?

Hopefully that means good news for you. I just see a green circle, but I didn't prematch.

Have you turned in your college transcripts to TCOM? If not, it will remain incomplete until you do. I prematched in Dec, and mine said incomplete until I turned them in.

Have you turned in your college transcripts to TCOM? If not, it will remain incomplete until you do. I prematched in Dec, and mine said incomplete until I turned them in.

I have not since I don't have any recent grades to submit... I graduated from college last May.

I have not since I don't have any recent grades to submit... I graduated from college last May.
I don't mean recent grades. I mean that TCOM requires a complete set of transcripts once you are admitted. I know it's silly since TMDSAS already has your transcripts, but every medical school requires a physical copy of your transcripts before matriculation. I graduated years ago, but I still had to submit transcripts to both TMDSAS and TCOM. Go into the student portal and see if there is anything on your 'To Do List.' This will let you know specifically why your app is incomplete.

Hello, so I'm trying to see if I still have the green complete circle but when I go to the Student Center it says I am not authorized to view this page. The page under Application Status still says it is waiting for the match on Feb 3 and that I am complete. Anyone else having this same problem? I was under review until it changed to the match status on feb 3.

Reactions: 1 users
I was a medsci last year and I am currently a first year at TCOM. Last year, my understanding was that medscis aren't involved in the match process unless they interviewed at other Texas schools. A fair amount got accepted before the match, and a lot of us were accepted in May and June.

Last year I think interviews were guaranteed to those of us in good academic standing (no C's), but I could be mistaken. There are definitely no acceptance guarantees. I know of several people with 4.0s who were rejected. You really need to have a solid app in addition to a good medsci GPA to get a spot. That being said, I absolutely believe that the program was worth the time and money and I'm sure it helped me get in.

Hey Eleventhirteen, current medsci, are you saying that medscis last year were accepted to TCOM prior to match or are you referring to pre-matches at JUST other Texas schools? Did you know if any of y'all got accepted to TCOM on match day or are we going to have to wait until later in the spring? Interviewed at TCOM (only TCOM) in early October.

Hey Eleventhirteen, current medsci, are you saying that medscis last year were accepted to TCOM prior to match or are you referring to pre-matches at JUST other Texas schools? Did you know if any of y'all got accepted to TCOM on match day or are we going to have to wait until later in the spring? Interviewed at TCOM (only TCOM) in early October.

Last year people absolutely were accepted to TCOM before match day. There were at least 15 or so acceptances after the fall semester ended in December/January. I don't personally know of anyone who was accepted on match day, but I know of at least one who was a few days after. There was a second "round" of acceptances in May just after the spring semester ended, and a few smaller batches throughout June. I think there are between 40 and 50 medsci graduates in my class this year at TCOM.

Keep working hard and keep your head up. I interviewed early(ish) too, and my app was under review until the first week of June. I was put on the waitlist, and then accepted June 13th. I'd say the majority of the medsci acceptances came after the spring semester.

Do you guys know if it's possible to change your ranking at this point? Realized I ranked a school I wanted to be last higher than the prematch I'd prefer to go to. I'm freaking out.

Do you guys know if it's possible to change your ranking at this point? Realized I ranked a school I wanted to be last higher than the prematch I'd prefer to go to. I'm freaking out.
No, it is not after Jan 21st according to TMDSAS. Perhaps you could call and make a case for an exception!

I tried to call and check my rank list. They wouldn't even tell me, much less allow me to change it.

Once it's been locked, it's a done deal.
Since all Texas schools participate in the match (excluding BCM) they have a binding contract regarding acceptances. If you match higher than your prematch, you cannot get your prematch back.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I tried to call and check my rank list. They wouldn't even tell me, much less allow me to change it.

Once it's been locked, it's a done deal.
Since all Texas schools participate in the match (excluding BCM) they have a binding contract regarding acceptances. If you match higher than your prematch, you cannot get your prematch back.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I called to make sure I made the right list and they let me say out loud my rankings and they confirmed if it was right or not.

Is it safe to assume Tcom will be sending out acceptances around midnight tonight?

Is it safe to assume Tcom will be sending out acceptances around midnight tonight?

I don't think so. Ill probably stay up a bit then just go sleep and wait for the morning.

Good luck, happy hunting everyone!

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

I don't think so. Ill probably stay up a bit then just go sleep and wait for the morning.

The only reason I say that is because last year they sent out emails just after midnight. Maybe since it's Sunday we'll just have to wait a few more hours.

The only reason I say that is because last year they sent out emails just after midnight. Maybe since it's Sunday we'll just have to wait a few more hours.
I saw that in last year's posts, as well. I doubt anyone was working that late; more likely it was an email broadcast sent on a timer. Best guess.

Will they email you also if you ranked them second and got matched to your number one?

Unsure about that one, but based on evidence presented across SDN in terms of Texas schools, if you match to number one, you go to number one and are dropped from the rest, whereas if you match to your number two, you have the chance to be waitlisted for your number one. (Correct me if wrong, someone!) So in your case, if you match to numero uno, they will send an email about how you are dropped, but could be wrong about that.

Unsure about that one, but based on evidence presented across SDN in terms of Texas schools, if you match to number one, you go to number one and are dropped from the rest, whereas if you match to your number two, you have the chance to be waitlisted for your number one. (Correct me if wrong, someone!) So in your case, if you match to numero uno, they will send an email about how you are dropped, but could be wrong about that.
So if I am wait listed at my number one school and match into my number two school, can I just make plans to attend the number two school? I don't want to be preparing to move and then have to change my entire paradigm if I belatedly am accepted to my number one school in say, May or June. By then, I probably would have moved to the second school's city where I matched.

I guess I am saying that a waitlisting for my number one school would suck worse than a rejection.

I think if I'm wait listed, I will just call them to remove my app and just be happy with the school I matched at on match day. It would save me some emotional trauma due to a switcheroo way late in the game.

I gathered that much from reading countless threads and forums here :p

I will just be happy going to medical school, just because all of the schools I interviewed at I loved :)

I have a question with all these ranking and matches..
Is this something specific for TMDSAS? I know AMCAS doesn't have this for sure..

I think I never ranked any schools? I'm a OOS applicant.

Am I supposed to rank school according to my preference?

I have a question with all these ranking and matches..
Is this something specific for TMDSAS? I know AMCAS doesn't have this for sure..

I think I never ranked any schools? I'm a OOS applicant.

Am I supposed to rank school according to my preference?
With TMDSAS, the ranking match is just for Texas residents.

ITS UP ACCEPTED CLASS OF 2018 HERE I COME.

Reactions: 2 users
Matched to TCOM! Very pleased. I can't wait to meet everyone. See you in July!

Matched!!! Sorry kcumb :(

Reactions: 5 users
I matched to Texas Tech-El Paso, so I won't get to come to TCOM, which is AN AMAZING school!! I wish you all the best!!

Reactions: 3 users
Matched to TCOM! (per TMDSAS) I don't think TCOM has updated their website and I haven't gotten an email yet :/

I matched to Texas Tech-El Paso, so I won't get to come to TCOM, which is AN AMAZING school!! I wish you all the best!!
Congratulations! PLFSOM is an excellent school as well. Good luck future doc! :D

Matched to TCOM! (per TMDSAS) I don't think TCOM has updated their website and I haven't gotten an email yet :/
Me neither (for both email and status change) so don't worry, but expect it to change soon!