University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a systems based curriculum which is pretty nice because you don't get hammered with anatomy all at once. It also allows you to work with board review books, as they are written in a systems based format as well. The lectures are semi-recorded. There is an old data-base that contains a whole archive of recorded lectures from 2012 and 2013 that are pretty much the same as this year. Up until a month or so ago, all of the lectures for this year were recorded by the tech guy but this stopped being as consistent because I think he gets tired of doing it on his own. Our class hasn't really formed a recording team for some reason, but the school provides all the tech. Someone just has to turn it on when they go in the room.

Ask your class president/VP/secretary to get this started, if they haven't already. It is such a simple task, and I'm sure there is no shortage of volunteers. Buy them a beer.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask your class president/VP/secretary to get this started, if they haven't already. It is such a simple task, and I'm sure there is no shortage of volunteers. Buy them a beer.

Our class is too gunnerish for that:p

That's a shame. Because the real competition is with yourself, specifically off campus at Prometric.

I'd tell Dr Peska if nobody is doing anything about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an accepted student FB group that we can join or am I getting ahead of myself? Lol

Reactions: 1 user
OOS Acceptance! There's still a chance for us OOSers at this school =)

Reactions: 6 users
Pre-matched today. Instate. Wooo wooo

Interviewed on Nov 4. 32/3.78 from UT-Austin.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Reactions: 6 users
Is there an accepted student FB group that we can join or am I getting ahead of myself? Lol

It's too early. Ask Mike Kennedy when you see your class page. He'll add you after he verifies who you are.

Accepted yesterday as well! OOS, interviewed in October, and I was initially on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 7 users
Match day is just so.....far......away...... Congrats to all who have pre-matched so far!

Does anyone know when we should mail in our transcripts after acceptance?

I noticed an update on the 'to do' list on the portal page and did it then, but I'm sure you could probably get started on it now to get it out of the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was everyone's interview experience here? Interview tomorrow. Excited about this school.

How was everyone's interview experience here? Interview tomorrow. Excited about this school.
Mine went very well, and everyone I talked to while there said the same. My interviewers were very down to earth and encouraged me to be myself by their posture and conversation. I encourage you to be yourself and let your true passions show. I'm very excited about being accepted to this school.

Ah good luck to you and everyone else who is interviewing tomorrow!
As always, any questions that you all have let us know!

My two interviewers were very welcoming and engaging in conversation. It did not feel like an interview, it felt like I was meeting with one of my professors. It was a very low stress day. Two interviews, a presentation, student led campus tour, a good lunch, and a tour of the JPS hospital. Good luck tomorrow!!

Thank you for the feedback. It's interesting that their interviews are as laid back as they are because it looks like they only accept <60% of those interviewed. But nonetheless. Really excited about the opportunity!

Did a second round of prematches already go out?

Looks like there was a second round on the 8th. I'm wondering if that's all the pre-matches. I don't know if I can make it until February :bang:

Accepted today! Interviewed early December. OOS, 33, 3.7. Yay!!

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to the Christmas batch!

I have a quick question if anyone knows... This is on behalf of a former Texan currently living out of state who will be applying to TCOM next year. The question is: What kind of questions do they ask OOS applicants, in particular, about connections and allegiance to Texas?
Thanks in advance.

I have a quick question if anyone knows... This is on behalf of a former Texan currently living out of state who will be applying to TCOM next year. The question is: What kind of questions do they ask OOS applicants, in particular, about connections and allegiance to Texas?
Thanks in advance.

I think it all depends on who interviews you. But since you are a former Texan, I wouldn't be concerned so much about this because I think that's enough to show that you have ties to Texas. I am an OOS applicant who never lived in TX and got in. However, I do have a good amount of family members who live in the DFW area that I visit often. There were no opportunities to state this on my app but I did mention it during my interview...

If at this point it still says "your application has been received" on the online portal, does this mean I am rejected? Does TCOM do silent rejections or would it notify all completed applicants?

If at this point it still says "your application has been received" on the online portal, does this mean I am rejected? Does TCOM do silent rejections or would it notify all completed applicants?

If you are rejected, you will receive an official letter in the mail. Last year, they sent it out early Feb.

I assume if the status has been stuck at "application has been received" until now... that means that they haven't even gotten to the application and it is too late?...

Pre-matched today. Instate. Wooo wooo

Interviewed on Nov 4. 32/3.78 from UT-Austin.

Looking forward to meeting you guys.
If you don't mind me asking, did you get acceptances to any TX MD schools?

Have a missed call from Caroline today.......called back and she is busy. I was told she would return my call.

Checked the portal to find I have been invited for an interview. Caught off guard but very excited. I guess they are still inviting people in.

:banana:

Reactions: 5 users
When did you receive an email confirming receipt of your secondary?

When did you receive an email confirming receipt of your secondary?

My secondary was received as of 6/11/14. My MCAT score did not transmit until 7/8/14 or somewhere around there.......

I applied pretty early and never heard from them, so I assumed they didn't want to dance. As you can imagine, getting a phone call was pretty unexpected.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get acceptances to any TX MD schools?

Nope, not yet anyway.

I only had two interviews-- TCOM and Southwestern. Beyond stats I had a good application. Problem is I applied late. Feeling good about the Southwestern match, but they're prematch-heavy is my understanding.

I loved TCOM so I'm happy either way.

Also, while I'm here ... does anyone know if TCOM does a second-look sortof thing?

Also, while I'm here ... does anyone know if TCOM does a second-look sortof thing?

Do you mean do they look at your application more than once? Yeah they can take your application and put it to the side too look over at a later time

Sorry, I didn't phrase it well. I mean like a second-look weekend where people who've been accepted can come in, talk finances, where to live, etc.

Sorry, I didn't phrase it well. I mean like a second-look weekend where people who've been accepted can come in, talk finances, where to live, etc.
Yes they do, and it is called myHSC day. I believe it happens in April.

Reactions: 3 users
Wish they'd give out another round of pre-matches soon! Guessing maybe 2 more rounds before match?

Don't they still have two different dates available for incoming TCOM students, one for TCOM only, and a later one which is open to all incoming students including TCOM, although TCOM students meet separately?

I have a random question for current students. Would you recommend living with a fellow med student or non med student during med school? Or does it matter?

I have a random question for current students. Would you recommend living with a fellow med student or non med student during med school? Or does it matter?
It really is personal preference.
I know a few people who have med school friends as roommates, some have other schools as roommates, or some people just live alone.
Personally, I live with my gf (who is a PhD student at another university) and my neighbors are classmates, so its been pretty nice :)

My preference would be Alone> Non-med student > Med. Student.

The last thing I'd want to hear when I come home is someone else talking/complaining about med school.