University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist yet? Also does anyone know wether it is ranked or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Still waiting..... doubt much will happen until second half of May.
Hey guys! Has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist yet? Also does anyone know wether it is ranked or not?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm waitlisted. I interviewed mid Jan. How bout u?
I think the school ranks you and you don't know your rank. I know it's killing me to not know what's gonna happen.
They said that they would call you for the offer anytime between now and the first day of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the school ranks you and you don't know your rank. I know it's killing me to not know what's gonna happen.
They said that they would call you for the offer anytime between now and the first day of class.
Early October......

Interviewed early September. Waitlisted. The waitlist is ranked.

My advisor told me to just plan for the backup plan and think that waitlisting is a rejection. At least you don't get too much hope in the waitlist.

Has anyone that's been accepted received any other instructions besides sending in transcripts?

Accepted! I just got pulled off of the waitlist this morning! :soexcited:

Reactions: 8 users
Congrats! I'm still waitlisted....hope for some more movement soon!

second week of December

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!! Did you send any letters after being wait listed?
I asked the admission advisor and he said that there would be no help to send in the letter of intent since everyone was ranked already and the committee wouldn't meet again in order to change it.

Has anyone that's been accepted received any other instructions besides sending in transcripts?

Yesterday I got the email with information about completing the background check, and today I got the email with my 8-digit student ID number.

Also, registration for the pre-mat workshops opened up this morning, so go sign up! I plan on taking the anatomy, biochem refresher, and TCOM PREP workshops.

Good luck to everyone still on the waitlist, and congrats to everyone accepted!

Hi all,

I have a concern and I was wondering if I could receive some assistance from this thread. During my time in college I had about 3-4 Speeding violations, and a few other minor traffic violations. TMDSAS stated that I didn't need to mention any minor traffic violations so I checked no on the primary application but now I am reading the Certiphi version and it isn't worded like TMDSAS is. I am not really sure if I should just check no because TMDSAS didn't ask for it to be reported or check yes. The other concern is that I don't remember the case numbers, what the tickets were all for, or dates. I feel like it would be drawing much unwanted attention to myself. Did any of y'all have speeding tickets that you didn't disclose on TMDSAS and did y'all disclose them for the certiphi background check or not?

Hi all,

I have a concern and I was wondering if I could receive some assistance from this thread. During my time in college I had about 3-4 Speeding violations, and a few other minor traffic violations. TMDSAS stated that I didn't need to mention any minor traffic violations so I checked no on the primary application but now I am reading the Certiphi version and it isn't worded like TMDSAS is. I am not really sure if I should just check no because TMDSAS didn't ask for it to be reported or check yes. The other concern is that I don't remember the case numbers, what the tickets were all for, or dates. I feel like it would be drawing much unwanted attention to myself. Did any of y'all have speeding tickets that you didn't disclose on TMDSAS and did y'all disclose them for the certiphi background check or not?

I had about the same # of moving violations and never even thought to put them down. They still consider me a medical student.

I am waitlisted as well.. Congrats to those who made it. And good luck to those who are still on waitlist:)

Last edited:
Just extra info for anyone who wants a backup plan. TouroCOM-NY has a MS program which guarantees admission to their medical school if you can keep a 3.5GPA. Their application process is pretty much the same as their medical school process. The deadline is not till mid-APRIL. So give it a shot if you want a backup plan.

Hi all,

As long as they aren't major misdemeanors or felonies, then you should be ok; you can report it, but AFAIK it won't impact admission :)
The thing that really gets people in trouble involve things like DWIs, DUIs, assault, battery, murder, and drug possession/selling, even moreso if you aren't reporting it.

(Note: for those whom are applying and did something beyond a moving violation, REPORT IT AND TALK ABOUT HOW YOU ARE ADDRESSING IT)

Has anyone completed the background check yet? I am curious to know how much it costs. Thanks!

So is there something you're supposed to do once you the background check is completed? Are you supposed to send it to someone?

Hey everyone, I applied as an OOS applicant last year and will be attending TCOM this coming year. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. For my letters, I only had 2 science letters and no physician letter.
I am an OOS and I am very interested in TCOM. What were your academics like? What advice would you give an OOS applicant? What do you feel helped you get an interview/acceptance?

For those who were accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? Preferably GPA and MCAT score.

I think I asked this already early on in the thread with very little responses (so forgive me for being repetitive). I am applying this next cycle and very interested in TCOM.

There are some historical stats if you go all the way back to the beginning somewhere on the first page of this thread....

I am an OOS and I am very interested in TCOM. What were your academics like? What advice would you give an OOS applicant? What do you feel helped you get an interview/acceptance?
For those who were accepted, do you mind sharing your stats? Preferably GPA and MCAT score.
I think I asked this already early on in the thread with very little responses (so forgive me for being repetitive). I am applying this next cycle and very interested in TCOM.
A good place to start is to have all of your stats above average since you are competing for 24 seats instead of 240 like all of the IS students. I do know there are a bunch of stats at the beginning of this thread along with their IS/OOS status. IIRC, all of the OOS acceptees had >30 MCAT, 3.6+ GPAs, and very solid ECs (some numbering in the 1000s of hours working at some capacity in health care.)

The TCOM Admissions Statistics page will give you an indication of where your stats should be to make yourself competitive. Individuals stats won't do you much good since they only represent a portion of an entire application & interview. If you have other questions about TCOM in general, I'm sure there will be people willing to answer them for you.

Reactions: 1 users
A good place to start is to have all of your stats above average since you are competing for 24 seats instead of 240 like all of the IS students. I do know there are a bunch of stats at the beginning of this thread along with their IS/OOS status. IIRC, all of the OOS acceptees had >30 MCAT, 3.6+ GPAs, and very solid ECs (some numbering in the 1000s of hours working at some capacity in health care.)

The TCOM Admissions Statistics page will give you an indication of where your stats should be to make yourself competitive. Individuals stats won't do you much good since they only represent a portion of an entire application & interview. If you have other questions about TCOM in general, I'm sure there will be people willing to answer them for you.

Thank you for the link!

If you're out of state, make sure you're from BYU. TCOM loves them for some reason heh

Reactions: 3 users
This is true. Most OOS students went to BYU, or a UC campus/Big 10 school/military academy.

Hey! I got matched to TCOM.
GPA/SGPA - 3.97
MCAT - 28

Hey! I pre-matched to TCOM.
sGPA - 3.8
cGPA - 3.9
MCAT - 27

I found this in another thread in the pre-Allo. Interesting data to look at for Texas up through match day. Average stats of students who were extended offers had a 30.2 MCAT and 3.77 GPA! Though I do expect that should drop a bit after all the wait list movement, similar to what the average stats have been in the past 2 years. Also ~270 more applicants this year than last year. Only ~360 offers had been extended at this point and if you look at TCOM's website they tend to accept ~460 applicants per year so there is still ~100 acceptances still to be given out before school starts. To those still on the wait list there is still room! Enjoy.

Edit: Talking about TCOM's stats only.

Attachments

• TAAHP 2015 Report.pdf
    728 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I found this in another thread in the pre-Allo. Interesting data to look at for Texas up through match day. Average stats of students who were extended offers had a 30.2 MCAT and 3.77 GPA! Though I do expect that should drop a bit after all the wait list movement, similar to what the average stats have been in the past 2 years. Also ~270 more applicants this year than last year. Only ~360 offers had been extended at this point and if you look at TCOM's website they tend to accept ~460 applicants per year so there is still ~100 acceptances still to be given out before school starts. To those still on the wait list there is still room! Enjoy.

I hope you're right. By no means am I a doctor yet, but the stress from waiting can't be good for my health. Good luck to everyone else waiting!

Are there any other SDNers who were placed in Everett College by the "Sorting Hat" today?

Last edited:
Is there any movement lately?
@JeBrAs do you know that you were the only one who got pulled off the waitlist or you know anyone else?

Is there any movement lately?
@JeBrAs do you know that you were the only one who got pulled off the waitlist or you know anyone else?
I think there was some other people that were pulled on the same day I was.

Are there any other SDNers who were placed in Everett College by the "Sorting Hat" today?

same here! if my avi didn't give it away, i'm a huge harry potter fan - so the sorting hat reference in the email made me laugh a little too hard.
i'm not proud of it, lol.

Hey! For current students, do any of you happen to know how 3rd year is factored into class rank? Or is class rank based solely on pre-clinical coursework? Thanks and good luck studying for Thursday's exam!!

Class rank is also based on 3rd-year shelf exams. (BTW Board scores are far more important than class rank - but don't fail any class.)

Hey! For current students, do any of you happen to know how 3rd year is factored into class rank? Or is class rank based solely on pre-clinical coursework? Thanks and good luck studying for Thursday's exam!!

I'm a current 4th year, and we only got our class ranks for the first 2 years. I never received anything after 3rd year, however we were told that the shelf exams determine it.

can any of the current students speak to the camaraderie on campus? one of the things i loved most about TCOM is how everyone seemed so friendly and showed a genuine willingness to work together. is that an accurate depiction of your time at TCOM?
if not, how would you describe the class?
thank you!

can any of the current students speak to the camaraderie on campus? one of the things i loved most about TCOM is how everyone seemed so friendly and showed a genuine willingness to work together. is that an accurate depiction of your time at TCOM?
if not, how would you describe the class?
thank you!

The classes are different from year to year. For the most part, people are pretty laid back and a gunner attitude isn't tolerated. Our class has some bad apples in it this year, which has given our class a bad rep. All this demonstrates is that it only takes a couple of outspoken people to alter the dynamics. Ultimately, it's a very collaborative environment and the people who try to mess it up will probably be called out for it.

The classes are different from year to year. For the most part, people are pretty laid back and a gunner attitude isn't tolerated. Our class has some bad apples in it this year, which has given our class a bad rep. All this demonstrates is that it only takes a couple of outspoken people to alter the dynamics. Ultimately, it's a very collaborative environment and the people who try to mess it up will probably be called out for it.
Do you feel like the letter grade system reduces the level of collaboration and increases competition?

Do you feel like the letter grade system reduces the level of collaboration and increases competition?

Nah, there's plenty of collaboration. People were a little neurotic about grades when the year started, but people eventually chill out. We have formative exams (like standardized tests where you get a score report but can't see specifically what you missed on exams). This pissed off some people in the beginning, but I think a lot of us have come to appreciate the system. It's really important to realize that when you are here, the only person you are competing with is yourself. Class rank is near the very bottom of the list of what residency programs care about. I think having a letter grade is somewhat of a blessing in disguise, because even though it might be a little more stressful than dealing with a P/F system, it gives you an accurate indicator of whether or not you've mastered the material. I think this is useful when it's time for boards.

Reactions: 2 users
Nah, there's plenty of collaboration. People were a little neurotic about grades when the year started, but people eventually chill out. We have formative exams (like standardized tests where you get a score report but can't see specifically what you missed on exams). This pissed off some people in the beginning, but I think a lot of us have come to appreciate the system. It's really important to realize that when you are here, the only person you are competing with is yourself. Class rank is near the very bottom of the list of what residency programs care about. I think having a letter grade is somewhat of a blessing in disguise, because even though it might be a little more stressful than dealing with a P/F system, it gives you an accurate indicator of whether or not you've mastered the material. I think this is useful when it's time for boards.
If you can't see what you missed, how do you learn from your mistakes? lol