University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you can't see what you missed, how do you learn from your mistakes? lol

The score report you receive after each exam is thorough enough to get a pretty good idea of what topics you need to improve, and usually you even have a pretty good idea of what the question was. The point of not allowing everyone to see the exams afterwards is to prevent the never ending grade grubbing and arguing that would take place between students and administration, and even amongst students since you will have those one or two people arguing about semantics and trying to get a question dropped while everyone else in the class got it correct. This wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't test frequently, but since you will have an exam about every 2 weeks, this can start to get really annoying, and it eventually becomes nice to just get a score and move on to the next one without the distractions of looking back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Really though, when you come out of the exams, you have a pretty good idea what you missed
When the grade report comes out, I usually focus on what I missed so that I can beef up those areas first for the second pass and boards

Do they start pulling the majority of the waitlisters at the end of May?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regrettably withdrew from here last week. Hope my seat and full-tuition scholarship offer goes to one of you deserving folks! Good luck to those on the wait list!

Reactions: 5 users
Do they start pulling the majority of the waitlisters at the end of May?

I don't know how many they usually have on their waitlist or how many they eventually pull off the list, but I do know that you can expect to be pulled as late as July. From what I hear, movement is generally slow.

TCOM is making their decision with MedSci students right now (there are many that interviewed), so I wouldn't expect any movement until the end of May or early June at the earliest.

It's a process and a game that TCOM plays (as do many other medical schools)...to fill their seats...exactly.

And there is always that one person who calls in day of orientation going "nah don't wanna go here," leading to a random person being accepted last minute

Just withdrew my, OOS. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Does TCOM pull people off the waitlist as someone drops out on the same day or they are just pooling all at once?

Does TCOM pull people off the waitlist as someone drops out on the same day or they are just pooling all at once?

Today they said that they made some more acceptance offers this week. I think that would mean they were pooled together.

Today they said that they made some more acceptance offers this week. I think that would mean they were pooled together.
So they will email at the end of this week or next week?

This is just by word of mouth from some of my friends currently in their MedSci program, but I was told that a lot of their new admittances are MedSci (but not all).
Good luck to all those waiting to hear! TCOM does typically have a lot of waitlist movement, so don't give up hope.

I'm currently admitted here and was just pulled from the waitlist at another school. I'm trying to make my decision very soon in hopes that if I do withdrawl, it'll go to one of you guys!

Any MedSci students on here who can give a rough estimate of how many of them have been pulled off as of now?

Any MedSci students on here who can give a rough estimate of how many of them have been pulled off as of now?

From what we've heard it's somewhere around 20 students. Our final grades haven't been updated on our transcripts, so there's likely to be some more movement once that happens. Or so we've been told.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what we've heard it's somewhere around 20 students. Our final grades haven't been updated on our transcripts, so there's likely to be some more movement once that happens. Or so we've been told.

Ok thanks

So the Med sci students will get pulled off the waitlist first before anyone else?

So the Med sci students will get pulled off the waitlist first before anyone else?

That doesn't sound right to me, but then again I don't know first hand. I just know what current MedScis have told me. I believe that there was a group of competitive MedScis who interviewed and TCOM was waiting for their spring grades to post before considering pulling them from the waitlist.

I've heard there's a lot of waitlist movement here all the way up until orientation, so I've got my fingers crossed for you guys!

That's what we were told during on some of our interview days, but I guess we'll find out once there is some more waitlist movement.

Based on previous years, there is a general pull from mid to late-May
after the major May pull, they begin pulls in groups at a frequency of about every two weeks

Also, expect individual or a few at a time during July at random intervals, and don't discount them stopping until after orientation ends

I am graduating from Med Sci tomorrow. Last Friday I went to talk with an Admissions rep at TCOM. He explained that the we are all on the same waitlist (MedSci's + non-MS) and our 'positions' on the list are based on our cognitive and non-cognitive scores. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
Withdrawing my acceptance and full-tuition scholarship today. Best of luck to you all!!

Reactions: 4 users
download_image

Hey everyone! I was wondering how many of you that were accepted received a letter from a DO and sent it with the secondary? Do you feel it plays a big factor in the admissions process?

I've shadowed a DO in the past, and I am actually working closely, and being mentored by his partner right now, so it wouldn't be that hard to get in touch with him. His partner (an MD) is in fact writing me a letter of recommendation that I am sending in as an extra for TMDSAS. I mentioned to him the possibility of getting one from his partner (the DO) and he said it shouldn't be a problem and that in fact he could just use his letter. I explained that if he did that TCOM would just be receiving a duplicate of his. Do you feel I should still pursue trying to get the letter? I just don't want to get a mediocre letter, since its been awhile since I've worked with the DO doctor.

Hey everyone! I was wondering how many of you that were accepted received a letter from a DO and sent it with the secondary? Do you feel it plays a big factor in the admissions process?

I've shadowed a DO in the past, and I am actually working closely, and being mentored by his partner right now, so it wouldn't be that hard to get in touch with him. His partner (an MD) is in fact writing me a letter of recommendation that I am sending in as an extra for TMDSAS. I mentioned to him the possibility of getting one from his partner (the DO) and he said it shouldn't be a problem and that in fact he could just use his letter. I explained that if he did that TCOM would just be receiving a duplicate of his. Do you feel I should still pursue trying to get the letter? I just don't want to get a mediocre letter, since its been awhile since I've worked with the DO doctor.

I didn't have a DO letter; I had one from an MD. I don't think they look into it too much. I think it would be way better to have a strong letter from an MD who really knows you rather than from a DO who would write you a mediocre one.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't have a DO letter; I had one from an MD. I don't think they look into it too much. I think it would be way better to have a strong letter from an MD who really knows you rather than from a DO who would write you a mediocre one.

Agreed. The experience with the DO is more valuable than the letter. I didn't even have a physician letter.

Yeah, I was accepted here and didn't have a letter from a DO. However, they were really excited that I had had experience with DOs and had a couple DOs in my family.

I had a DO letter from a TCOM grad who didn't know me too well (admissions was interested in that). However I had an MD letter from a physician who I had been shadowing for 5+ years and did knew me very well. I am sure my MD letter carried a lot more weight.

I didn't have an MD or DO letter, so definitely having 1 is better than none. Strength of letter is more important than the initials behind the name IMO.

Agreed. The experience with the DO is more valuable than the letter. I didn't even have a physician letter.

Yeah, I was accepted here and didn't have a letter from a DO. However, they were really excited that I had had experience with DOs and had a couple DOs in my family.

I had a DO letter from a TCOM grad who didn't know me too well (admissions was interested in that). However I had an MD letter from a physician who I had been shadowing for 5+ years and did knew me very well. I am sure my MD letter carried a lot more weight.

I didn't have an MD or DO letter, so definitely having 1 is better than none. Strength of letter is more important than the initials behind the name IMO.

Thank you everyone for the input! I won't worry about it then. I mentioned my experience with the DO in my secondary and somewhat in my personal statement too.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the input! I won't worry about it then. I mentioned my experience with the DO in my secondary and somewhat in my personal statement too.

Wish me luck!
Are you applying this cycle? Or are you waiting for the waitlist?

Wish me luck!
It will be good to be able to talk about any differences you noticed in the practice style of the DO vs MD, if any exist.

No news on the wait list for me. I guess I should start applying to Caribbean schools.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Give it a week, it generally starts to move at about this time

Also for the DO letter, I had one from a TCOM alum that I shadowed on and off for 6 months...I think they like it, but its best to have a letter from at least some doctor (if going MD letters only, make sure you know what the diff is about DOs and MDs, for the essay and just in case they ask in interviews!)

Give it a week, it generally starts to move at about this time

Also for the DO letter, I had one from a TCOM alum that I shadowed on and off for 6 months...I think they like it, but its best to have a letter from at least some doctor (if going MD letters only, make sure you know what the diff is about DOs and MDs, for the essay and just in case they ask in interviews!)
The DO doc I shadowed is a TCOM Alum and his son is even an MS3 there now... so maybe it won't hurt to get it! I'll see what I can do. Thank you for the input!

Just out of curiosity, how is there any waitlist movement in Texas schools after June 1st? Since TMDSAS says "After June 1, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas," does this mean there can theoretically be no waitlist movement at TX schools after June 1st unless students choose to attend an OOS school over their Texas acceptance? As in, how do any spots open up at Texas schools, since those accepted students cannot attend a different TX school at that point?

Yeah, some will go OOS, a few will fail drug screens/background checks, and there might have been open spots that the school didn't fill before then from what I understand.

Yeah, some will go OOS, a few will fail drug screens/background checks, and there might have been open spots that the school didn't fill before then from what I understand.

Were we supposed to get a drug test? I haven't heard anything about that.

I also didn't have a DO letter, but I had 2 MD letters. I also had a few letters from previous employers.

For those on the waitlist, I just spoke to someone from the admission office today and was told that the class is currently full and they won't be making any offers any time soon.

Last edited:
For those on the waitlist, I just spoke to someone from the admission office today and was told that the class is currently full and they won't be making any offers any time soon. So start thinking about plan B, myself included....
Well that blows.

For those on the waitlist, I just spoke to someone from the admission office today and was told that the class is currently full and they won't be making any offers any time soon. So start thinking about plan B, myself included....
Well of course they would say that... I heard usually there isn't a lot of movement until mid-June. According to last year thread, there wasn't much movement after first week of June

Well of course they would say that... I heard usually there isn't a lot of movement until mid-June. According to last year thread, there wasn't much movement after first week of June
There is or there isn't movement after the first week of June?

The waitlist is like IBS...big movements will happen randomly and unexpectedly
The best thing to do is to prepare for every situation

Reactions: 9 users