University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, sorry I didn't mention that. I have plenty of patient experience in the realm of phlebotomy, biopsies, and shadowing experience with direct clinicians as well. Also have completed some ED training, and used to work in an Oncology/Hematology clinic where every patient in the practice we knew by face and name. I like to interact with a lot of our outpatients at THR when they have questions, as it gives them peace of mind. My wife is also a Senior Sonographer for USMD so I get the imaging side of things at home with her friends and colleagues.

One of our hospitalists in the ED is also a TCOM grad and was accepted with a 23. Im just nervous that my STAT numbers will get overlooked before I have the chance to meet and greet and express my qualifications. I just hope they realize that a lot of my MCAT courses were not taken sense 2004 and I studied on my own without a prep course.

BTW do you know which THR Physician's group. I know they contract with quit a few. Especially the Harris area. I just recently interviewed to asset in getting Forrest Park's new facility up and running in Fort Worth.
lot's of people are in this same situation so in my opinion it doesn't matter too much
need volunteering in case you don't have any

Members don't see this ad.

Actually have a lot of that too. Was President of the Boys and Girls Club on Kauai for 2 years, Awards for community service, and service in the Military. But still nothing yet....:(

lot's of people are in this same situation so in my opinion it doesn't matter too much
need volunteering in case you don't have any
Actually have a lot of that too. Was President of the Boys and Girls Club on Kauai for 2 years, Awards for community service, and service in the Military. But still nothing yet....:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone interviewing on Tuesday (9/9)? I am and I'm so nervous!

Interview invite yesterday! Feeling very grateful!

Overall GPA: 3.80
Overall BCPM GPA: 3.90
MCAT: 31 (11/11/9)
In-state

II yesterday! Really excited to hear back from TCOM so soon.

cGPA: 3.31
sGPA: 3.20
MCAT: 28 (10/9/9)
In-state

Reactions: 1 users
I am! Have you heard anything of what to expect?

Yes! Okay so I've heard from a friend that interviewed a few weeks ago that the interview was very chill. More of a conversation than an actual interview! The only direct question asked was about the future of healthcare, everything else was more personal. So I'm a little less nervous than before. PM me if you want to talk more!

Just a heads up, I received an interview invite from Caroline today (she told me she was working overtime).

TMDSAS Transmitted 8/21.
Secondary confirmation email received 9/2.

This will be my first interview. Any pointers and/or tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up, I received an interview invite from Caroline today (she told me she was working overtime).

TMDSAS Transmitted 8/21.

Wow That's awesome, even on Saturday they may call.
What are your stats?

Reactions: 1 user

TMDSAS Transmitted 8/21.

1) Be yourself
2) Read your essays the night before you interview
3) Ask plenty of questions from the 2nd years
4) Make sure you treat everyone on that day as if they are part of the interview

Everyone here is pretty laid back, so as long as you are comfortable, then you will do great!

Pretty neurotic I know, but: I interviewed in August and the next day my portal said "Your application is under review". A week ago, my portal randomly changed to "You have been invited for an interview" again. Anybody else have this happen? Someone ask the oracle in the matrix what this means. Also tell all TX schools I would like an interview with them as well......

Got an interview!

cGPA: 3.73
sGPA: 3.67
MCAT: (8/9/9) 26
IS

Received word of my acceptance today. I am so excited and happy right now! TCOM is defintely my #1 choice!

Whaaat? Early acceptance program? I didn't think anyone would know anything until Oct 15 for OOS and Nov 15 for IS

Sorry, forgot to congratulate you....Congrats!

What a fast turnaround for my first interview! I figured late app = late interview but I was mistaken.

Primary transmitted: 9/11
Secondary submitted: 9/12
Interview received: 9/12
Interview date: 10/3

Love this school! Really excited!

Last edited:
What a fast turnaround for my first interview! I figured late app = late interview but I was mistaken.

Primary transmitted: 9/11
Secondary submitted: 9/12
Interview received: 9/12
Interview date: 10/3

cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 3.87
MCAT (3x): 32

Reapplicant. DO shadowing/LOR. IS.

Love this school! Really excited!

That has to be the fastest turnaround I've ever seen! Your stats look great. Good luck on interview day!

That has to be the fastest turnaround I've ever seen! Your stats look great. Good luck on interview day!

I was shocked too. Cannot wait for the interview!

Congrats on your acceptance! Here's to hoping we are classmates next year. :)

Last edited:
Have been creeping around here for the past year as I prepped apps for DO cycle. TCOM is my first choice school (for a million reasons), but I am concerned at the delay in their confirming my app process. TMDSAS confirmed that my app had been submitted to all schools over a week ago and every school in Tx EXCEPT TCOM has e-mailed confirmation. I'm kinda concerned...I completed TCOM's secondary 4 weeks ago and called the office to ask if there was anything else they needed at the time. The response was "no", so now what?? Is this normal? I am a super long-shot at actually getting into TCOM, but I'd love to at least know they have my app in hand for review. Any advice would be appreciated! Best wishes to all!

I just missed a phone call from Caroline while I was at work today. Does this mean an II? :)

Just checked my portal and it says invited for interview! Finally! Been complete since 7/8. :)

Congrats!

Where in the portal did you find this?
After going to your "my hsc" click on "application status" and the status should show at the top of the list and say "you have been invited for an interview"

Have been creeping around here for the past year as I prepped apps for DO cycle. TCOM is my first choice school (for a million reasons), but I am concerned at the delay in their confirming my app process. TMDSAS confirmed that my app had been submitted to all schools over a week ago and every school in Tx EXCEPT TCOM has e-mailed confirmation. I'm kinda concerned...I completed TCOM's secondary 4 weeks ago and called the office to ask if there was anything else they needed at the time. The response was "no", so now what?? Is this normal? I am a super long-shot at actually getting into TCOM, but I'd love to at least know they have my app in hand for review. Any advice would be appreciated! Best wishes to all!

Well, now you know there is nothing more to be done except wait, and wait. Such is the nature of the beast. Good luck wherever you end up!

Hey I was wondering if anyone who was able to go through The Office Student Development and be housed with a TCOM student the night before the interview and what your thoughts were on that experience.

Checked my status today and my application has changed from under review to application is complete. Does that mean I have been passed over for an interview?

Checked my status today and my application has changed from under review to application is complete. Does that mean I have been passed over for an interview?
In the past, "Your application has been reviewed" was the kiss of death. I'm not sure what "complete" means.

so I've never seen my status be "under review," it's always said "application is complete" since June....so does this mean my app hasn't been been looked at???

Last edited:
Any more questions about school life, the school universe, and everything, feel free to ask here or PM!

Any more questions about school life, the school universe, and everything, feel free to ask here or PM!

Could you give some more insight into the student life? Like, is everyone a pretty close-knit group or do people tend to branch off into separate friend groups and stay that way? And how are your professors? Would you say that the majority of them are great or half good/half not so much, etc? Thanks!

There are organized events and mixers, both on and off campus. I'd say most everyone knows everyone else at least by sight, and every student has their own special circle of friends among several other circles of varying radii and duration. It depends on your personality, career plans, interests/hobbies, marital status, where you do your studying, where you like to hang out after exams, and your rotation schedule in clinical years. As far as professors go, most are pretty good and some are truly excellent - they all know their subject matter in depth and take student evaluations seriously.

If any current students can address these questions, that would be great! Thanks!

1) What community service opportunities are there to work with underserved populations? Is there a student run clinic or opportunities to volunteer in a free clinic as medical student?

2) Are there any special opportunities for students interested in pursuing primary care?

3) Where do most students live off-campus?

4) Where can I see a list of current student organizations?

If any current students can address these questions, that would be great! Thanks!

1) What community service opportunities are there to work with underserved populations? Is there a student run clinic or opportunities to volunteer in a free clinic as medical student?
2) Are there any special opportunities for students interested in pursuing primary care?
3) Where do most students live off-campus?
4) Where can I see a list of current student organizations?

1) There are a tremendous amount of community service options for students, such as screening patients and assisting in some clinics. The only downside is that everyone rushes for them, so you gotta be quick on your feet to grab it when it opens!

2) There are all sorts of opportunities for medical careers via the interest groups, so you can find a few and see what they are all about. Also, there is a primary care clinic on campus so you can talk or email the doctors who work there for more information/shadowing/etc. Also, the rotating faculty allows for you to meet people of all specialties that can help direct your questions and whatnot towards your interests. The other day, there was a alumnus that was a neurosurgeon who spoke about what it takes to do what he does, and he was urging people to give him a call and come stay with him for the day to get a glimpse on what it is like. The faculty and associates of the school are very hands-on so you always gotta ask!

3) Students typically live either in the neighborhoods surrounding the area (difficult to find a place here, so make sure you start looking ahead of time), or they live about 10-15 minutes away off Bryant Irving. There are some lofts and swanky apartments that are east of campus, but they are pretty expensive (but the plus side is that there are several restaurants just a stairwell away). One tip I have is to not live outside of Fort Worth; we have some classmates that do, and the only convenient routes they take are ones that have been under constant construction (like 20 years on some roads?), so make sure when looking at areas to drive during rush hour to see what it would be like to live in that area.

4) Student organizations are listed here:
http://web.unthsc.edu/downloads/file/5942/2014-2015_master_organization_list

hope that helps!

No problem! Good luck and any other questions, do not hesitate to ask!