University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@clairephillips , I'm thinking of becoming a Texas teacher leading up to my application but I'm hesitant to apply to jobs knowing I'll need to take time off for interviews (if all goes well!) Are schools understanding when you could need around 6 subs in 1 month?
I pmed you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone have out of state applicants in their interviews? I'm not really sure on their timeline, as the website just states that the non-residents can receive acceptances after October 15th.
I'm out of state, with immediate family living in the Woodlands. Decent stats, but I feel daunted by the fact that only up to 10% of the class may consist of non-residents.
All of my applications were complete for TMDSAS & the secondary by 8/1
I know it was a little late, but I just want to tell myself that I still have a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone with low STATS had the opportunity to interview? I still have not heard anything yet, but I did, however, have our chief of pathology(a DO) send a letter on my behalf which they received yesterday. She also teaches at TCOM. I hope that weighs in a lot. But I have been complete for over 60 days now and still no word. :(.

STATS:
Overall 3.43
BCPM: 3.84
MCAT: 25(Devastating low based on practice exams) 33+
Employment: Medical Lab Scientist for 5+ years.
Degrees: BS Biochemistry and Clinical Lab Sciences

Did anyone have out of state applicants in their interviews? I'm not really sure on their timeline, as the website just states that the non-residents can receive acceptances after October 15th.
I'm out of state, with immediate family living in the Woodlands. Decent stats, but I feel daunted by the fact that only up to 10% of the class may consist of non-residents.
I know it was a little late, but I just want to tell myself that I still have a chance.

I had someone from Utah and someone from Arizona at my interview day. Don't lose hope. :)

I
I'm from Colorado and I interview in September. I think I was the only out of stater in my group though.

Does TCOM confirm if they received your additional LOR? I sent my additional LOR last week through snail mail and haven't received any confirmation.

Does TCOM confirm if they received your additional LOR? I sent my additional LOR last week through snail mail and haven't received any confirmation.
No, I don't think they do. I sent additional as well and I think I remember them saying they had them on file when I interviewed, but I'm pretty sure they never told me by email that they received them.

has anyone gotten any interviews invites to tcom recently?

Does anyone know if any OOS acceptances have gone out today?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone with low STATS had the opportunity to interview? I still have not heard anything yet, but I did, however, have our chief of pathology(a DO) send a letter on my behalf which they received yesterday. She also teaches at TCOM. I hope that weighs in a lot. But I have been complete for over 60 days now and still no word. :(.

STATS:
Overall 3.43
BCPM: 3.84
MCAT: 25(Devastating low based on practice exams) 33+
Employment: Medical Lab Scientist for 5+ years.
Degrees: BS Biochemistry and Clinical Lab Sciences
Your stats seem fine (I am assuming 25 and 33 for MCAT), plus DO letters are great to have when applying.
The CLS stuff is a strong point, as is your sGPA. How long ago did you send it off?

Yes, I got accepted today and I am OOS! I received it by e-mail today around 2:30 PM pacific time

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations! Do you plan to accept the offer?

YES! I loved the interview day at TCOM and even though I'm not from Texas, I still felt really welcomed by everyone and just felt like a great fit. There are 2 other schools that I'm really interested in, but even if I got accepted into those, I would definitely need to think carefully about what I would do. It'll be hard to beat TCOM's program + facilities/opportunities + tuition though...

BTW, I'm a reapplicant, so I've been waiting over a year for this and I'm super excited to get my first acceptance!!! :)

AND kudos to AlgernonMed who encouraged me to apply here. I was VERY close in not applying because I felt like I had a pretty low probability of getting in, so glad I decided to go for it!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Sorry to intrude but am becoming a bit more interested in applying here because of it's being tied to UNT which seems like a GREAT university, I am a bit late but am looking for advice. Should I create a TMSDAS app?

Thanks ahead!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Sorry to intrude but am becoming a bit more interested in applying here because of it's being tied to UNT which seems like a GREAT university, I am a bit late but am looking for advice. Should I create a TMSDAS app? (26 MCAT, 3.6 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA, lots of great EC's you can check my MDapps for).

Thanks ahead!

Unfortunately TMDSAS application closed on Oct. 1st, while TCOM supplementary application also had a deadline on Oct. 15th. I applied really late too but was able to submit right before the deadline. Don't know if I'm going to get an interview at all though, being an international student and all.

Unfortunately TMDSAS application closed on Oct. 1st, while TCOM supplementary application also had a deadline on Oct. 15th. I applied really late too but was able to submit right before the deadline. Don't know if I'm going to get an interview at all though, being an international student and all.

Oh derp, hahaha never mind then! Thanks for letting me know!

Hey guys! Sorry to intrude but am becoming a bit more interested in applying here because of it's being tied to UNT which seems like a GREAT university, I am a bit late but am looking for advice. Should I create a TMSDAS app?

Thanks ahead!
The TMDSAS app closed October 1st so it is too late for this cycle, unfortunately. However, I do highly suggest that you apply to TCOM if you want to be a DO!

Congrats to all the out of state applicants on getting their acceptances!

Guys! I like being reassured haha, do you think it would have been too soon to hear back from tcom yesterday if I only interviewed on October 3?

I just got an interview invite for November y'all! LizzyM of about 68! DO NOT LOSE HOPE! Woooo

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how long it takes for TCOM to show up in the match rank list on TMDSAS?

I noticed today that my status changed to "Your application has been reviewed." From everything I've read on SDN, it sounds like a rejection but is that a for sure thing at this point in the cycle? I'm waiting to hear back after the 11/15 pre-match date. Has anyone been accepted after getting this status? I felt like the interviews went pretty well. I interviewed on 9/5, in state, 28 MCAT, 3.7 cum, 3.6 science

I noticed today that my status changed to "Your application has been reviewed." From everything I've read on SDN, it sounds like a rejection but is that a for sure thing at this point in the cycle? I'm waiting to hear back after the 11/15 pre-match date. Has anyone been accepted after getting this status? I felt like the interviews went pretty well. I interviewed on 9/5, in state, 28 MCAT, 3.7 cum, 3.6 science
I interviewed in August and mine still says "your application is under review"

Idk what that means! I hope someone will shed some light on this

Reactions: 1 users

It means you are still being considered for acceptance. My status stayed that way until I matched on match day last year. "Your app has been reviewed" means rejection, and I believe the status change usually happens around a month after the interview when the committee meets to decide whether or not to rank you for the match. I'm assuming the highest ranks get pre-match offers. This info has all been pieced together from several years of app cycles so I can't confirm it 100%.

Mine says "your application is complete". What does this mean?

This means they have all your info, but haven't decided whether to interview you or not. This status can change to "your app has been reviewed" (rejection), or "you have been invited for an interview", which is usually accompanied by a phone call from the school.

I myself was "under review" all the way until match day, so I'm pretty sure this is how the system is set up.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know how long it takes for TCOM to show up in the match rank list on TMDSAS?
It showed up for me after I interviewed there. I'm not sure how soon after because it was at least a couple of weeks after when I checked.

Have any OOSers been accepted who interviewed in October?

Your stats seem fine (I am assuming 25 and 33 for MCAT), plus DO letters are great to have when applying.
The CLS stuff is a strong point, as is your sGPA. How long ago did you send it off?
No the 33 was my practice averages and the 25 was my real score....terrible. I sent everything in Aug 29th. And still nothing. Pretty disappointed in my score overall.