University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been "complete" the entire time. I applied on time.

Look above the grid and you should see something that says "Your application is received." or "Your application has been reviewed." or "Your application is under review."

Members don't see this ad.

Look above the grid and you should see something that says "Your application is received." or "Your application has been reviewed." or "Your application is under review."
I was going to check mine to see what it says, but their secondary application site won't let me log back in with the username and password that I used.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to check mine to see what it says, but their secondary application site won't let me log back in with the username and password that I used.

Try going to my.hsc.unt.edu. Use your assigned EUID and password. If that doesn't work, try the forgot EUID or forgot password function. I'm not sure if that's the site you are trying to use. If it is, the site has had some bugs in the last day or two, so maybe try waiting a day or two if all else fails.

I've literally been complete for months...idk what's going on.

I think they are only just starting to really ramp up their interviews. They will start offering seats on November 15 to in state individuals, so I wouldn't worry too much for now. Just be glad your status didn't switch to "Your application has been reviewed," because that'd mean a rejection. Mine still says received also, but I am currently in their MedSci program so my application will be reviewed a little differently. All this information is just from what I have read online and what I have heard from numerous individuals who are currently attending TCOM as well as numerous admissions individuals who have come and spoke with us. Don't take any of it for fact. Just passing along what I know. Best of luck!

^ I interviewed in August, and my status changed to "Your application has been reviewed" yesterday. I'll be getting my rejection in the mail today probably.

No, I am in state. I just heard that past threads indicated that a status change of "has been reviewed" was the mark of death. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to go to TCOM.

No, I am in state. I just heard that past threads indicated that a status change of "has been reviewed" was the mark of death. I hope I'm wrong. Would love to go to TCOM.

Strange that you had your status change to "reviewed" when you are IS and prematch hasn't even occurred.

Members don't see this ad :)
They have a sizable chunk of interview days in December as well

Reactions: 1 user
No rejection letter yet. So maybe I'm still good!

Are you still able to rank TCOM via TMDSAS or did they remove it?

Shout out to the guy rocking the bow tie during the library tour yesterday

Any IS pre-match rejection letters come in yet, or do those come after 11/15?

Last year they sent them out right after OOS pre-match. People got them on Oct. 16 and 17.

II today! Two dates to choose from (Nov.18 and Dec.2)
application complete 7/24 - ORM
LizzyM~65

Moral of the story: do NOT lose hope

Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! Just curious but when did you have everything completed?

YAY. may you share when is your interview and stats?
Thanks

Yes of course! Submitted 09/16, transmitted 10/3, submitted secondary 10/15, received interview invite 10/22

Texas resident
cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.56
MCAT: 29 (8/11/10)

My interview is 11/14. She gave me two choices between 11/14 and 11/18.

Yes of course! Submitted 09/16, transmitted 10/3, submitted secondary 10/15, received interview invite 10/22

Texas resident
cGPA: 3.76, sGPA: 3.56
MCAT: 29 (8/11/10)

My interview is 11/14. She gave me two choices between 11/14 and 11/18.
Congrats! That's when my interview is, too!

I submitted around the same time.

Hi, do you guys know if we'll be sent an interview confirmation and details? I just called Caroline and we just agreed on a date and that's it. She said Nov 18 and Jan 13 are available.

Also would we just be interviewing for a waitlist position this late in the app cycle, esp if interviewing on Jan 13? Are our admission chances diminished quite greatly?

Thank you!

Hi, do you guys know if we'll be sent an interview confirmation and details? I just called Caroline and we just agreed on a date and that's it. She said Nov 18 and Jan 13 are available.

Also would we just be interviewing for a waitlist position this late in the app cycle, esp if interviewing on Jan 13? Are our admission chances diminished quite greatly?

Thank you!
I think your timing of your interview shouldn't really hinder your chances, you just wont be available for a prematch acceptance. They mentioned at my interview that they don't like to give too many prematch acceptances because they like to be able to evaluate all the applicants that interview and then send out most of acceptances on match day.

Don't worry UTUT, I know people who interviewed in January and were accepted during match day! Just keep focused and work hard!

I'm super nervous about this school - definitely my top choice but I haven't heard anything from them. When is the latest anyone has heard of being INVITED for an interview?

I'm super nervous about this school - definitely my top choice but I haven't heard anything from them. When is the latest anyone has heard of being INVITED for an interview?
I waited 9 weeks of silence before I received my II

Can anyone comment on the schedule of the interview day? Especially what time I can expect to be finished (for booking flights).

Can anyone comment on the schedule of the interview day? Especially what time I can expect to be finished (for booking flights).

I was finished by 2:30 if I remember correctly.

So I've heard that TCOM advising during 3rd and 4th year is basically nonexistent and clinical ed is horrible at helping students find their mandatory rotation sites. I was wondering if any current students who have been through this phase can comment on this? Because right now all of the horror stories I've heard about students stressing over finding clinical sites before their deadlines is really scaring me...

So I've heard that TCOM advising during 3rd and 4th year is basically nonexistent and clinical ed is horrible at helping students find their mandatory rotation sites. I was wondering if any current students who have been through this phase can comment on this? Because right now all of the horror stories I've heard about students stressing over finding clinical sites before their deadlines is really scaring me...
When you go interview you tour a hospital in Fort Worth, and they said that's where you do your rotations? At least that was the impression they gave me?

Horror stories, or one person with a bad experience? I've never heard this before. TCOM has tons of rotation sites, including an affiliated level 1 trauma center. Also, as far as I know (it's in the third year syllabus), the school schedules rotations FOR the students, so I don't know how this would even be possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Horror stories, or one person with a bad experience? I've never heard this before. TCOM has tons of rotation sites, including an affiliated level 1 trauma center. Also, as far as I know (it's in the third year syllabus), the school schedules rotations FOR the students, so I don't know how this would even be possible.

Oh okay, I must have misunderstood then. I did hear it from just one person, but they also showed me the results of a 2014 student satisfaction survey (which you can easily find online just by searching "tcom student satisfaction 2014") and there was more than one complaint there. That must have just been a sampling issue since the unsatisfied ones were probably more likely to fill out the survey in the first place. Thanks for your input!

Oh okay, I must have misunderstood then. I did hear it from just one person, but they also showed me the results of a 2014 student satisfaction survey (which you can easily find online just by searching "tcom student satisfaction 2014") and there was more than one complaint there. That must have just been a sampling issue since the unsatisfied ones were probably more likely to fill out the survey in the first place. Thanks for your input!

There will always be complaints because medical students like to complain, but the survey results were actually pretty impressive. Keep in mind that since TCOM offers rotation sites in other cities like Houston, there are a bunch of students who try to grab these spots so they can spend 3rd year back home. I suspect some dissatisfaction comes from the students who can't get these spots due to their limited supply. I have heard a complaint about this, but it has nothing to do with overall rotation site quality/availability.

Hey so I am an OOSer and I just called Caroline to figure out why I haven't heard back about my status. So basically she said all of the spots for OOSers have been handed out so I am on the wait list and they are waiting for people from OOS to accept or decline their offers before they accept any other OOSers. I hope this helps other people in my situation. She also said that they let people know right away if they have been declined. So prolonged silence means wait list is what I got out of that conversation.

Hey so I am an OOSer and I just called Caroline to figure out why I haven't heard back about my status. So basically she said all of the spots for OOSers have been handed out so I am on the wait list and they are waiting for people from OOS to accept or decline their offers before they accept any other OOSers. I hope this helps other people in my situation. She also said that they let people know right away if they have been declined. So prolonged silence means wait list is what I got out of that conversation.
Did you interview?

Ouch...thought I had a chance :(

Ouch...thought I had a chance :(
We definitely have a chance... I feel like the wait list moves a lot for OOSers...i guess we have to wait until those who are accepted have to let tcom know what their decision is. I'm not sure when that date is for OOSers

We definitely have a chance... I feel like the wait list moves a lot for OOSers...i guess we have to wait until those who are accepted have to let tcom know what their decision is. I'm not sure when that date is for OOSers
Thanks for calling penny15! Wow, I can't believe all OOS spots have been filled already. When I met with the admissions counselor at the end of my interview day, he told me that we still had a good chance even though we interviewed in early October. He told me that the OOS spots would most likely not be filled in November so we should find out 4-5 weeks about our decision post-interview. But I guess it's not the case this year... :(