University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so I was out of town when my letter of admission came. Long story short, I just discovered it and found out I was supposed to send the info back to them no later than last Wednesday. Hopefully they will understand. Does anyone know what I need to do if I am not sure yet whether or not I want to go there? There is a form for accepting the offer and one for declining it but no way to indicate that I just want them to hold my place for now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For those who interviewed, what kind of questions should one expects? Were there many ethical questions or current events questions? Thanks in advance for your help!

I had two super relaxed interviewers. One PHD and one a newly hired physician for TCOM. Both asked super general question "why medicine, why a doctor, give me a example of a conflict you overcame, why tcom, why DO" I think if you have the answers to these down, especially the last two then you will be fine. For the question you didnt see coming just think logically, thats all they want.

Also i heard one interviewer (think he was a psychologist) who actually printed a report and told you to read it and interpret what it was saying. I believe it was a stress interview. But this is one interviewer out of the many you can have.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey so I was out of town when my letter of admission came. Long story short, I just discovered it and found out I was supposed to send the info back to them no later than last Wednesday. Hopefully they will understand. Does anyone know what I need to do if I am not sure yet whether or not I want to go there? There is a form for accepting the offer and one for declining it but no way to indicate that I just want them to hold my place for now.

If you already have other opportunities that you rank higher, then you should decline. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Schools require an answer within a deadline and assume that applicants operate in good faith under the bird-in-the-hand theory. However, they also keep a waiting list because it's not uncommon for people to accept an offer and later give up their seat.

It's possible that the admissions office has an internal grace period, but you should call and find out.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you already have other opportunities that you rank higher, then you should decline. But you can't have your cake and eat it too. Schools require an answer within a deadline and assume that applicants operate in good faith under the bird-in-the-hand theory. However, they also keep a waiting list because it's not uncommon for people to accept an offer and later give up their seat.

It's possible that the admissions office has an internal grace period, but you should call and find out.
Thanks, I get all of that. I don't have any other offers, but I have interviewed at other schools I rank higher. Of course I would let them know I'm declining my seat if that were a decision I had made. I don't have other offers so I can't make that decision right now.

So I interviewed here over 10 days ago and the school still isn't showing up on my rank list... what gives?

So I interviewed here over 10 days ago and the school still isn't showing up on my rank list... what gives?
I've heard people on SDN mention it just takes time. Apparently some schools send that info in bulk to TMDSAS periodically.

Anyone have an idea of how many interview dates are left and when one would hear back for those interview dates?

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea of how many interview dates are left and when one would hear back for those interview dates?

They usually have interviews every Tuesday of the month. So I would think 3 left in Nov, maybe 3 in Dec and possibly 2 if not 3 in January. You should expect to hear back at least 2 weeks in advance. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users
December typically has a week of interviews, should be from either the 7th to 11th or 14th to 18th
I know a bunch of MedScis will interview during that time

Anyone know how to get an interview here? My stats are above average for the school and I'm IS? Application was completed 5 months ago.

Anyone know how to get an interview here? My stats are above average for the school and I'm IS? Application was completed 5 months ago.
I was invited soon after I submitted my secondary. My interviewers asked me about my volunteer work, and the adcoms seemed to stress the importance of that...? Could be a factor?

I was invited soon after I submitted my secondary. My interviewers asked me about my volunteer work, and the adcoms seemed to stress the importance of that...? Could be a factor?

I feel like I have a decent amount of volunteerism and medical experience, I'm sure many people have a lot more though.

@Yoshida I'm sure! I'm just speculating. I have no inside knowledge. The other criteria might be your PS and secondary response- how much it emphasizes DO. My PS can definitely be sound like DO would be a good fit for me. However, I doubt the adcoms look that closely when selecting for II. I have 0 clue.

Sorry!

Members don't see this ad :)
@Yoshida I'm sure! I'm just speculating. I have no inside knowledge. The other criteria might be your PS and secondary response- how much it emphasizes DO. My PS can definitely be sound like DO would be a good fit for me. However, I doubt the adcoms look that closely when selecting for II. I have 0 clue.

Sorry!
Still crossing my fingers, I have two other interviews one @ KCU COM and one @ San Antonio, just got my first rejection pre interview today too though :(

Anyone know if TCOM accepts AP credit for the English/Stats prereq?

Anyone know if TCOM accepts AP credit for the English/Stats prereq?

If it is shown on your undergrad transcript. But play it safe and double check.

accepted!! :D

OH MY GODDD I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. (accepted via email) ONE INTERVIEW ONE ACCEPTANCE!!! Thats all I need. I cannot thank god enough for what has been given to me. Words cant express what I feel right now. (3.77/29 stats)

IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR. :highfive::banana:

Reactions: 12 users
OH MY GODDD I JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. (accepted via email) ONE INTERVIEW ONE ACCEPTANCE!!! Thats all I need. I cannot thank god enough for what has been given to me. Words cant express what I feel right now. (3.77/29 stats)

IM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR. :highfive::banana:
wow congrats!! :)))

edit: im actually really happy to see someone this happy so...:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

ACCEPTED!! Only interview so far, but made the best of it!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Would you guys who are accepted tell us when you had your interviews ? I interviewed here on 11/3 , and not sure if my interview date was included in this batch !!
Thanks and congrats on you acceptances

Would you guys who are accepted tell us when you had your interviews ? I interviewed here on 11/3 , and not sure if my interview date was included in this batch !!
I had mine 10/9!

Did any OOS hear back from October 23rd interview date?

Not yet, at least for me. I'm OOS also and had an interview in Oct. 23. But oh man, I'm glad that you spoke up because I thought everyone else got the results after watching all the acceptances above lol

Not yet, at least for me. I'm OOS also and had an interview in Oct. 23. But oh man, I'm glad that you spoke up because I thought everyone else got the results after watching all the acceptances above lol

does your status on the portal still say "invited for interview" or has it changed?

Sorry!
It's hard to emphasize DO on the PS because most people apply to the other (MD) schools in Texas and you don't get to write a separate PS for TCOM.

It's hard to emphasize DO on the PS because most people apply to the other (MD) schools in Texas and you don't get to write a separate PS for TCOM.
That's why you write about it in the secondary.

So I got accepted via portal. But no letter/email. Does this mean I'm in? Interview 9/30

So I got accepted via portal. But no letter/email. Does this mean I'm in? Interview 9/30

I was originally waitlisted and your message had me check my portal. I also am showing accepted:

Congratulations! You have been accepted. A formal letter of acceptance will be mailed to you.

I would believe it as they don't email anything, just call or snail-mail. So congratulations to you!

Also, I guess "Accepted OOS!" :)

Do the late interviews usually correlate with people who applied late or is it still a bit random?

For those who are IS and interviewed on 10/23 does your portal page still say "invited for a interview" or "under review"?

Wait... we have to send them info? What info do we have to send them? I also got pre-matched!

I interviewed here 10/13 and was pre matched :)

Wait... we have to send them info? What info do we have to send them? I also got pre-matched!
You will get an agreement form in the mail that you need to sign and return. It felt to me like a contact that says you accept their offer to accept you.

In Texas med schools, You get to hold your pre-match until match day in February. Accepting admission in writing just confirms you accept admission, however, if you match at a higher ranked school in Feb, you get accepted there and automatically dropped from lower ranked matches and pre- matches......Please read TMDSAS for more details

If my app says "your application has been reviewed" does that mean I'm screwed..?

It appears so. I was waitlisted and still listed as "Under Review" the whole time.

Hopefully there is an exception, but. . . sorry. :(

Anyone still getting interview invites? If so, when are the future dates?

I decided to decline my pre match offer today. Good luck to all, this is a great school!

I interviewed on 10/23 and my portal was updated today. Went from "invited for a interview" to "application is under review". Good look to everyone!