University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are my chances? Applying here for the second time. Secondary and application marked as complete on 6/12.

As for stats, 26 MCAT (7 verbal,9 physical and 10 biological) , 3.65 cgpa, 3.50 science gpa. lots of extracurricular and volunteerism and shadowing, two published papers recently.

I applied to TCOM very late last year (later September) and interviewed in mid November but was placed on the waitlist in February and Im still currently waiting. Do I have a better chance as a reapplicant this time being early and with the published papers?

Thanks in advance for your input everyone!

P.S: I forgot to mention that I am an in-state applicant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The adcoms liked you last time. If it's not your turn this year, I hope you get another invite soon.

Reactions: 3 users
What are my chances? Applying here for the second time. Secondary and application marked as complete on 6/12.

As for stats, 26 MCAT (7 verbal,9 physical and 10 biological) , 3.65 cgpa, 3.50 science gpa. lots of extracurricular and volunteerism and shadowing, two published papers recently.

I applied to TCOM very late last year (later September) and interviewed in mid November but was placed on the waitlist in February and Im still currently waiting. Do I have a better chance as a reapplicant this time being early and with the published papers?

Hey @ItsAllMe I think you'll get better answers if you post this on the "What are my chances" section, but I agree with @costales. If they liked you enough for a waitlist, then you'll have a great chance this year as well. :) Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Residence inn Fort Worth cultural district looks close

Reactions: 1 user

P.S: I forgot to mention that I am an in-state applicant.
Extracurricular?

Thanks for all the helpful comments! I am an OOS applicant and TCOM is my dream school! TCOM just received my MCAT score on Friday so I hope I get an interview in the next few weeks! Those of you that have the "you've been invited for an interview" on your status, have any of you received the phone call yet from the admissions office?

A question to everyone that has gotten a II. I just checked my UNTHSC portal and saw that I have been invited for an interview. My concern is the number they have on my student portal is my home phone number which no one really picks up. I don't know why they chose that since on TMDSAS I have both my cell phone and home phone numbers. Does anyone have similar problem and which number were you called on?

A question to everyone that has gotten a II. I just checked my UNTHSC portal and saw that I have been invited for an interview. My concern is the number they have on my student portal is my home phone number which no one really picks up. I don't know why they chose that since on TMDSAS I have both my cell phone and home phone numbers. Does anyone have similar problem and which number were you called on?

Congrats.

I would just call the school and talk to them, they were very friendly when I called.

I am so confused about this process. I found I was able to login with my EUID but because I already had one from when I applied here for the pharmacy program. I can access the secondary as well, but I never got an email. Should I still call them to verify? On the portal it says they have an open DO app for me, pending the secondary, but that was it. Any thoughts? :/ Also we apply here though TMDSAS and not AACOMAS right?

I am so confused about this process. I found I was able to login with my EUID but because I already had one from when I applied here for the pharmacy program. I can access the secondary as well, but I never got an email. Should I still call them to verify? On the portal it says they have an open DO app for me, pending the secondary, but that was it. Any thoughts? :/ Also we apply here though TMDSAS and not AACOMAS right?

The secondary is not invited, it was always available.

You may not get an EUID email since you already have one - I would jut do the secondary.

When was your TMDSAS transmitted (not AACOMAS)? The only emails I got from TCOM were after they received my primary and after I submitted the secondary.

The secondary is done through a different link, not your EUID account, find it here:

https://my.unt.edu/psp/papd01/EMPLOYEE/PSFT_LS/c/HSAD_ADMISSIONS.HSAD_DO_SECUND_APP.GBL

Hope that helps.

The secondary is not invited, it was always available.

You may not get an EUID email since you already have one - I would jut do the secondary.

When was your TMDSAS transmitted (not AACOMAS)? The only emails I got from TCOM were after they received my primary and after I submitted the secondary.

The secondary is done through a different link, not your EUID account, find it here:

https://my.unt.edu/psp/papd01/EMPLOYEE/PSFT_LS/c/HSAD_ADMISSIONS.HSAD_DO_SECUND_APP.GBL

Hope that helps.

That helps a bunch, thank you so much! I ended up calling them and they told me I would not be getting an email since I'm sorta already in the system and the email was just to confirm receipt of the app and instructions on how to set up account.
My app got transmitted 6/29 but I never got an email. I called today and they told me they did get it though, so maybe anyone wondering what's going on with their app can call. :) They're really nice.

Quick question. When do you get the follow up email after receiving the phone call?

Members don't see this ad :)
The consensus in our class has been mixed, but apparently Ft. Worth was being examined by Tech and A&M as another potential site, and the idea has been in the works for a few years now

So UNT will have a DO AND and MD program? or will it replace the DO school?
Apps for the MD portion are expected to open in Fall 2017, with August 2018 being the inaugural MD class with 60 students, hoping to increase to 240 by 2020-2022. They will most likely be going between TCU and UNTHSC's campuses for classes and labs and stuff.

The original (2007? 2009?) idea was to have the MD and DO students learn together in the class, with the DO students having extra work in OMT/OMM lab and competencies (see, not a huge difference between DOs and MDs :p )

Keep in mind Dr. Williams is a TCOM graduate, and he's fully aware of what happened last time. As far as rotations, they can create additional slots in Fort Worth hospitals - in fact, FW was an area looked at by Caribbean schools before they got banned from Texas.
This may have been a driving force between the JPS and TCOM partnership, but I am more curious if they are increasing residency positions as well :thinking:

I submitted my primary on 6/30. I was wondering if I can submit the secondary before they receive my primary. Anyone know? I know you don't need an ID to submit secondary, but I'm still a bit confused on whether I can submit the secondary now. Thanks!

I submitted my primary on 6/30. I was wondering if I can submit the secondary before they receive my primary. Anyone know? I know you don't need an ID to submit secondary, but I'm still a bit confused on whether I can submit the secondary now. Thanks!

Submit it as soon as you are done - you don't need a primary in to do the secondary.

You need your TMDSAS ID though, so at least start the primary.

I already submitted the primary! Just waiting for them to receive it and and my June 19 mcat score will only be here by July 21st. Thanks Cawolf!

So I just submitted my secondary, but I can't log into the portal with the username and password I used for the application. My primary application still hasn't been transmitted to the school yet, so maybe that's why. Can anyone help? Thanks!

So I just submitted my secondary, but I can't log into the portal with the username and password I used for the application. My primary application still hasn't been transmitted to the school yet, so maybe that's why. Can anyone help? Thanks!
I think they issue all that stuff once your app is complete, from what I remember.

You are assigned a different ID for the portal after they process your primary.

How do the II schedules work? I submitted my secondaries 6/8. I know it's WAY too soon to start getting nervous but some vague timetable would be nice.

Last edited:
For those of you who have already completed the secondary, did you all use a letter from an osteopathic doctor as the extra letter source?

I have a committee letter from my school and am not sure if I need another letter (I have 6 letters already since I am a non-trad). I was thinking of having using this extra letter writer option to have my boss from medical scribing write me a letter. Any thoughts on this?

For those of you who have already completed the secondary, did you all use a letter from an osteopathic doctor as the extra letter source?

I have a committee letter from my school and am not sure if I need another letter (I have 6 letters already since I am a non-trad). I was thinking of having using this extra letter writer option to have my boss from medical scribing write me a letter. Any thoughts on this?

I did, and you cannot send in six. At most TMDSAS will submit three letters (I did two).

I did, and you cannot send in six. At most TMDSAS will submit three letters (I did two).

My school asked me to send in six letters for them and they included it in their committee packet. Only one packet is being sent, but I was told all of the letters they asked me would be sent with it.

Do you think it's okay to have my medical scribe boss comment about my relationship with multiple DO's rather than have a single DO letter? I ask this because I think a letter from my scribing boss would be better than a letter from an individual DO because they could comment on me working with multiple DO's

My school asked me to send in six letters for them and they included it in their committee packet. Only one packet is being sent, but I was told all of the letters they asked me would be sent with it.

Do you think it's okay to have my medical scribe boss comment about my relationship with multiple DO's rather than have a single DO letter? I ask this because I think a letter from my scribing boss would be better than a letter from an individual DO because they could comment on me working with multiple DO's

I see, yes, a packet is a different story.

Not sure about your question, sorry.

I did not have the DO letter and I got an interview

Do you guys think they've read the letters prior to sending out interview invites? So II=okay/good LoR's :)

Do you guys think they've read the letters prior to sending out interview invites? So II=okay/good LoR's :)
One of our ADCOMs said they've never read a bad one. Take that for what it's worth.

@LChristmas

Can you comment on how important strong ties to Texas are to admission?
I can't tell you with any type of certainty how ties to TX are weighed in the admissions process. As an OOS, I was asked why I applied, and if I planned to practice in TX. I cited my ties to the state to answer both questions. YMMV.

Does the DO letter have to be in to receive an interview? My application says complete, but my writer hasn't got around to doing it yet.

Also, does anyone know what TCOM's policy is on multiple MCAT scores?

Does the DO letter have to be in to receive an interview? My application says complete, but my writer hasn't got around to doing it yet.

Also, does anyone know what TCOM's policy is on multiple MCAT scores?
For the letter, notify the admissions committee that your letter is being submitted and try and stress the importance with your letter writer

For the multiple MCAT scores, they either take the most recent score or the top score IIRC

From TMDSAS: "There is a five-year time limitation for MCAT and DAT scores to be considered valid. Scores from tests taken before January 2011 will not be accepted for the 2016 entry year application cycle. All test scores received by TMDSAS will be transmitted to the schools to which the applicant is applying. The highest MCAT score reported, for either the old or new exam, is the official score used on all TMDSAS medical school prepared reports. The most recent DAT score reported is the official score used on all dental school prepared reports. " (https://www.tmdsas.com/Policies and Procedures.pdf)

Reactions: 5 users
For people interviewing on 7/28, I just got a new agenda via email!

Is it different than the original agenda email?

I only have one from 7/10, no email today.

My check-in time changed from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Everything else was the same

My check-in time changed from 8:30 AM to 9:30 AM. Everything else was the same

Oh OK, maybe it is supposed to be different then.

The times for each activity do seem personalized.

So excited!

I also got the email and everything seems to change to a later time.

I can't tell you with any type of certainty how ties to TX are weighed in the admissions process. As an OOS, I was asked why I applied, and if I planned to practice in TX. I cited my ties to the state to answer both questions. YMMV.

Texas is a Texas-centric state, and Texas schools generally want to hear you profess your undying love (real and imagined) for all things Texan.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who received a phone call, did you miss it? If so, did they leave you a voicemail asking to call them back? What was the course of action from that point forward?

For those of you who received a phone call, did you miss it? If so, did they leave you a voicemail asking to call them back? What was the course of action from that point forward?

I missed it (unknown number) and called back, but Caroline had left.

She called me the next day and I scheduled my interview.

Just received an interview invite!

Reactions: 5 users