University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've gotten an II from UTSA, but still nothing has changed on my applicant portal. I need to block the site from my browser and just wait for a phone call!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I missed it (unknown number) and called back, but Caroline had left.

She called me the next day and I scheduled my interview.
What number did you call her back on or is there an email I can contact her? I missed the phone call as well because I was at work and could not answer at the time =/ Does she call back?

@atx0593

I used the information on the admissions page.

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

UNT Health Science Center
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard
Fort Worth, Texas 76107-2699

Phone: 817-735-2204 or
800-535-TCOM (8266)
Fax: 817-735-2225
Email: [email protected]

So I decided to randomly checked my voice mail the other day and I hear a message from Caroline to call her back........... the voice mail was from July 15th :(:bang::nailbiting:

So I decided to randomly checked my voice mail the other day and I hear a message from Caroline to call her back........... the voice mail was from July 15th :(:bang::nailbiting:

Did you never see a status change in your portal?

It usually changes before the call.

Did you never see a status change in your portal?

It usually changes before the call.

No it only said application complete. And i had been checking relgiously. :/

Tried to call today but couldnt get ahold of her. So I left a voice mail. But damn itttt

Tried to call today but couldnt get ahold of her. So I left a voice mail. But damn itttt

That sucks, hope it works out fine for you.

You'll be ok, just tell them what happened and they should find an open spot for you to interview

Members don't see this ad :)
So any news from yesterday's interview?

Overall experience was amazing. My two interviews were good. One was more conversational than question and answer format while the other one drilled me on stuff from my application to have a better picture of who I am and also because they only have your essays and your chronological activities from TMDSAS.

Overall experience was amazing. My two interviews were good. One was more conversational than question and answer format while the other one drilled me on stuff from my application to have a better picture of who I am and also because they only have your essays and your chronological activities from TMDSAS.

Great! Did they ask why osteopathic medicine?

Uh oh...
I went and checked and found out the answering machine wasn't even on.
This is a bit nerve-wracking.

Uh oh...
I went and checked and found out the answering machine wasn't even on.
This is a bit nerve-wracking.

So after a voice mail and like 4 calls later i finally got a hold of her today and scheduled an interview for 9/29.

I think caroline is available from 6am-3pm wed-friday. Idk about the other days.

My sister just found out that she had gotten an interview invitation from them 2 full weeks after they called by checking her online portal after seeing that one of her friends had received an interview. She usually ignores unknown numbers. I wonder why TCOM can't just email people about the invites like how the other Texas schools do it. Or at least use a normal phone number...

She apparently got invited on the 14th and only found out on the 28th, but she called yesterday and was able to schedule an appointment.

For the people who have gotten interviews already, congratulations! Also, what time were y'all complete? I was complete 7/01 and now I'm freaking out :(

For the people who have gotten interviews already, congratulations! Also, what time were y'all complete? I was complete 7/01 and now I'm freaking out :(
I was complete like....May 20th and have not heard a peep from TCOM.

Reactions: 4 users
Same here brah,feelsbadman.jpg

No instate love, I'm losing faith in the great country of texas

Reactions: 3 users
I got a call today, which I missed. But my status changed online to II. Was complete 7/6.

Same here brah,feelsbadman.jpg

No instate love, I'm losing faith in the great country of texas

WORD. Glad to know I'm not the only Texan sitting on my hands, nervously awaiting a call I am expecting, for the most part.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who applied to the rural medicine program gotten an interview yet?

Texans, don't worry right now about getting a call immediately!
There has only been about one or two interview blocks so far, so don't immediately give up hope just because you haven't been scheduled yet
Remember, some people get interviews in September and pulled off the waitlist that following July,
and some people get very late interviews and pulled off in February

If you feel like your record has a blemish, now is a good time to start correcting it,
because if you wait until rejected, then you will have only a month or two to fix it, while if you start addressing it now, you have plenty of time to address said problem and fix it!

Reactions: 5 users
"What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 Characters or less"
This sounds a lot like the TMDSAS personal statement question. How did y'all differ the answer to this question from your TMDSAS personal statement?
Thanks!

"What experiences and/or relationships have motivated you toward a career in osteopathic medicine? (1000 Characters or less"
This sounds a lot like the TMDSAS personal statement question. How did y'all differ the answer to this question from your TMDSAS personal statement?
Thanks!
I altered it by describing my motivation to practice osteopathic medicine specifically as opposed to medicine in general. It's a fancy way of asking "Why DO?"

I altered it by describing my motivation to practice osteopathic medicine specifically as opposed to medicine in general. It's a fancy way of asking "Why DO?"
I see. Did your experiences you described in this essay overlap with your personal statement or did you describe different experiences directly related to DO?

I see. Did your experiences you described in this essay overlap with your personal statement or did you describe different experiences directly related to DO?

I wrote a brand new essay that discussed my DO specific interactions and shadowing experiences. I used those experiences and my knowledge of osteopathic medicine to argue why I want to be a DO.

There should be some continuity throughout your essays, but you should use different examples that explain your why DO reasons.

how are II given out? Phone call, online portal, email? Can you share stats and when submitted secondary?

I got a call from a unknown number. Missed it, called back and was informed of an interview invite.

I submitted 7/3 but my letters were delayed until last week. Complete on 8/1. Got call today.

GPA: 4.00 MCAT: 507 OOS: Oklahoma

Interview date: 9/25

I got a call from a unknown number. Missed it, called back and was informed of an interview invite.

I submitted 7/3 but my letters were delayed until last week. Complete on 8/1. Got call today.

GPA: 4.00 MCAT: 507 OOS: Oklahoma

Interview date: 9/25
Congrats! Does the portal change before the call? Or after you called her back? Or not at all lol

Congrats! Does the portal change before the call? Or after you called her back? Or not at all lol

I had a portal change on a Friday before receiving a call on a Monday.

I had a portal change on a Friday before receiving a call on a Monday.

What happens on the portal exactly? Does it change from "This application is Complete" to "Interview"?

What happens on the portal exactly? Does it change from "This application is Complete" to "Interview"?

Yes, I think it was "Invited for Interview" but now mine changed to "Under Review" after I interviewed.

Hey guys! I know it's hard to hear this while its happening but really don't freak out. I was complete mid July last year didn't get interviewed until November, and I got in on match day. So don't sweat!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! I know it's hard to hear this while its happening but really don't freak out. I was complete mid July last year didn't get interviewed until November, and I got in on match day. So don't sweat!

Were you OOS or IS? I am getting a little nervous. I am OOS from Utah. I was complete on 7/6 with letters. My stats are cgpa 3.49, sgpa 3.48, mcat 513 (like a 33). My gpa is lower due to some high school/college credit classes. TCOM is my top choice and I am going crazy!

Were you OOS or IS? I am getting a little nervous. I am OOS from Utah. I was complete on 7/6 with letters. My stats are cgpa 3.49, sgpa 3.48, mcat 513 (like a 33). My gpa is lower due to some high school/college credit classes. TCOM is my top choice and I am going crazy!
You wouldn't happen to be from BYU would you? Texas medical schools love to have BYU grads be part of their OOS crowd (why? a pipeline of some sort?). We have quite a few of them in our class this year.

You wouldn't happen to be from BYU would you? Texas medical schools love to have BYU grads be part of their OOS crowd (why? a pipeline of some sort?). We have quite a few of them in our class this year.

No I am from USU. I am hoping the BYU love will transfer over

Last edited:
I'm from BYU

For those of you who have already interviewed, how long was the hospital tour at the end? I'm trying to decide which flight to take home.

For those of you who have already interviewed, how long was the hospital tour at the end? I'm trying to decide which flight to take home.

About an hour including the bus trip to the hospital.