University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those of you that have already interviewed, is there any kind of social that night? I have mine next tuesday

Members don't see this ad.

Oh awesome! I should have read more lol, I was just scanning on my app and saw. I hope it goes well for you! You've got some luck on your side! I'm tx too!
Yay thank you! You said you got accepted already? So you must have applied out of state huh? That' awesome, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone here apply to the Rural Medicine Track? If so, did you have interviews specific to that program during your interview day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to do extracurricular activity updates to this school? Should I just email admissions?

Does anyone know if there is a different waitlist for OOS applicants than the waitlist for IS applicants? or are they the same list?

Reactions: 1 user
I just received an email from TCOM about 2 hours ago, which is odd. Anyways, did everyone else get some kind of reminder message to look at their portal? I don't really know what this email is supposed to mean

I didnt get that email. I checked my portal anyway and it still says my application is complete (since early July...)

Does anyone know if there is a different waitlist for OOS applicants than the waitlist for IS applicants? or are they the same list?

Yes, it is a different list since they can only take 10% OOS.

Waitlisted OOS today via mail.

Will be withdrawing for UTHSCSA.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
What hospitals do students do their rotations at at TCOM?

Does anyone know when they stop extending OOS II? I would love an opportunity to interview here but haven't heard anything either way from TCOM.

Anyone know how to get back into the secondary application to review my essays? Thanks!

Did you like JPS @Cawolf ?

I toured Cooks Children Hospital and it was AMAZING. Too bad I'm not crazy about pediatrics..

It was alright. For what it was it seemed to have quality facilities, but it cannot compete with high-powered academic centers. I cannot speak to the quality of training there.

No, JPS is not a research institution. It is an urban public teaching hospital similar to Parkview, so it is a major site for clinical rotations at TCOM, except FM which is done mostly at UNT Health and peds where you go to Cook Children's or optionally Driscoll Children's. The food and parking are kinda crappy, but JPS attendings and residents are a great bunch of people who love to pimp and teach and get you actively involved - they will definitely prepare you for your sub-I/intern year. The case load is heavy, and you're going to see some weird stuff on the ward as well as in the OR; even their psych ward is (seriously) crazy. Yes, Cook is an amazing place and has been nationally ranked for years. Incidentally, JPS is home to several residency programs, including some surgical programs for Southwestern and Baylor - their house staff are generally high caliber. I know that their FM program is very well regarded - last time I looked it was Top 5 or some such.

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, got an II and set a date, and I am wondering a couple things: what were the interviews like? and do they take you everywhere on tour? Like do I have to drive to the hospital for that part of the tour?

Hi, got an II and set a date, and I am wondering a couple things: what were the interviews like? and do they take you everywhere on tour? Like do I have to drive to the hospital for that part of the tour?

The classrooms, anatomy lab, OMM lab, sim lab, and library are all on the UNTHSC campus. They bus you as a group to JPS for your tour there.

Mind if I asked your stats and when you transmitted app and secondary?

II just now (online, no call yet). In-state MPH student. App transmitted 7/1 but completed mid-June (new MCAT)

II just now (online, no call yet). In-state MPH student. App transmitted 7/1 but completed mid-June (new MCAT)
So jelly, I wish I knew how to get one.

Reactions: 1 users
be prepared for lots of waiting around at the interview day here. I had a two and a half hour gap between my last interview and the campus tour

be prepared for lots of waiting around at the interview day here. I had a two and a half hour gap between my last interview and the campus tour

Can I ask, were both your interviews one on one and open file? Any advice for questions?

Both my interviews are in the morning before the tour - do they give you a place to wait/talk to other interviewees or should I bring a book?

Both my interviews are in the morning before the tour - do they give you a place to wait/talk to other interviewees or should I bring a book?

I wouldn't bring a book. You sit in a large meeting area (could seat 200?) with the other waiting applicants and some admissions staff. Generally there were about 5 - 10 applicants, 2 admissions staff, and 0 - 2 current students in there at any time. It would be awkward to bring reading material. ;)

Does anyone know if we can still send a DO LOR still in? Is it okay as long as I get it in before my interview?

Can I ask, were both your interviews one on one and open file? Any advice for questions?

yeah you wait with a lot of other interviewees. Having both in the morning was 10x better

Hey guys, I am trying to send my DO letter to them. They said I could do it through interfolio. Does anyone know what I put as destination. The school is not coming up so should I just put the TCOM Admissions address?

Hey guys, I am trying to send my DO letter to them. They said I could do it through interfolio. Does anyone know what I put as destination. The school is not coming up so should I just put the TCOM Admissions address?

Yes, exactly. Just send it to the admissions address.

I interviewed here last year and I only had two interviews about 30 mins each. For those who interviewed at TCOM this year, did you have 3 interviews?? I received the agenda and it has 3 interviews A,B and C and lunch at 1:15pm.

I interviewed here last year and I only had two interviews about 30 mins each. For those who interviewed at TCOM this year, did you have 3 interviews?? I received the agenda and it has 3 interviews A,B and C and lunch at 1:15pm.

I am guessing you applied to ROME.

I am guessing you applied to ROME.

Thanks for your response Cawolf! Yes, I actually did. How different is the interview for ROME? So one of the three interviews will be mainly for ROME?

Thanks for your response Cawolf! Yes, I actually did. How different is the interview for ROME? So one of the three interviews will be mainly for ROME?

No idea, all I know is that it is ROME specific.

It is likely meant to assess your desire to practice in a rural setting, and didn't just click the box because you thought it would make you look like a better applicant. It will be conducted by one of the rural medicine faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
They want to make sure that you are truly interested in and committed to the rural track. Your clinical training will be a bit different. (It is by no means an "easier" program, and they are actually highly ranked.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know how many pre-match offers they send out on Nov. 15? Wondering how my hopes should be on that day lol. Im going to think the first round of acceptances for IS would be to the high lizzyMs (~70+)

For those who interviewed, what kind of questions should one expects? Were there many ethical questions or current events questions? Thanks in advance for your help!