University of North Texas (UNTHSC/TCOM) Discussion Thread 2016 - 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome. Did you like the campus?
I did! I loved how you can see museums from the library, the rental bikes, the OMM lab was beyond cool. Anatomy lab was very clean (always a plus) and from my understanding there is a lot of respect for its "tentants" which speaks a lot to the student body. Lecture hall was beautiful, and very modern with microphones shared between every two people and standing desks in the back!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I did! I loved how you can see museums from the library, the rental bikes, the OMM lab was beyond cool. Anatomy lab was very clean (always a plus) and from my understanding there is a lot of respect for its "tentants" which speaks a lot to the student body. Lecture hall was beautiful, and very modern with microphones shared between every two people and standing desks in the back!
The school location and campus are both very nice. Did you tour JPS or Cooks? I wish we could have seen them both. I toured JPS.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a first year, the campus doesn't feel cramped to me. Also, the anatomy labs are great! It's 6 people per body, but you are scheduled to come in 3 at a time for dissections and you can come in 24/7 to study. We are expected to keep our stations very clean. The donors are very highly respected. We even have a program called Legacy of Life that happens in the 2nd semester where the families of the donors are invited to meet the TCOM students and get an idea of how much the donors do for us.

Reactions: 3 users
As a first year, the campus doesn't feel cramped to me. Also, the anatomy labs are great! It's 6 people per body, but you are scheduled to come in 3 at a time for dissections and you can come in 24/7 to study. We are expected to keep our stations very clean. The donors are very highly respected. We even have a program called Legacy of Life that happens in the 2nd semester where the families of the donors are invited to meet the TCOM students and get an idea of how much the donors do for us.
That is awesome.

Reactions: 1 user
Serious question...how many OOS people who were accepted are from BYU?

It's not just them. Every school I have interviewed at has had a high rate of BYU interviewees/students.
One of the physicians that inspired me is a Mormon. He is just amazing and selfless. I shadowed him and he represented the profession in such an amazing way. I can't fully express how much respect and gratitude I have for him.
n=1
I am not sure if he went to BYU.

I got Wait Listed, so do you mind sharing your stats?

Accepted OOS as well, 3.9 gpa 509 MCAT. I have lots of volunteer, patient and research experience. Was very happy to have been accepted because I wasn't overly confident after my interview! Best of luck to you, it's still super early in the cycle

Accepted OOS as well, 3.9 gpa 509 MCAT. I have lots of volunteer, patient and research experience. Was very happy to have been accepted because I wasn't overly confident after my interview! Best of luck to you, it's still super early in the cycle

Four more weeks and I'm giving up hope D:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not just them. Every school I have interviewed at has had a high rate of BYU interviewees/students.
I was told they have a huge premed program and a bunch of Texas residents go there, therefore a bunch come back. Makes sense if you think about it

Really starting to get nervous...

I'm a re-applicant with a LizzyM of 67 and was complete since mid-July, but my portal still says just "Your application has been received."

Last year I submitted around September, but still managed to interview towards the end of October.

Since then, I beefed up my application by becoming a full-time Clinical Research Coordinator, but it's pretty discouraging to not hear back from TCOM at this point in the cycle.

Really starting to get nervous...

I'm a re-applicant with a LizzyM of 67 and was complete since mid-July, but my portal still says just "Your application has been received."

Last year I submitted around September, but still managed to interview towards the end of October.

Since then, I beefed up my application by becoming a full-time Clinical Research Coordinator, but it's pretty discouraging to not hear back from TCOM at this point in the cycle.

You're not alone. I'm probably the most depressing poster on this thread. I also live a few miles down I-30 from here, so it'll be even more disheartening. It's not over until Thanksgiving, distract yourself if you can until then!

Reactions: 3 users
So I asked around about what the plans are for when the MD students begin in 2018. The plan right now is for them to share TCOM and TCU's faculty and resources. Additional classroom space on our campus will likely be reserved for MD students in the new Interdisciplinary Research and Education Building, slated to open in 2018, and either EAD or RE. They'll have parking in the garage (which is currently not really used) in between the CBH and the new building.

https://www.unthsc.edu/campusmap/

https://www.unthsc.edu/newsroom/story/breaking-ground-unthscs-future/

TCOM students will stay at the MET, which is the building you all interviewed at.

Last edited:
So I asked around about what the plans are for when the MD students begin in 2018. The plan right now is for them to share TCOM and TCU's faculty and resources. Additional classroom space on our campus will likely be reserved for MD students in the new Interdisciplinary Research and Education Building, slated to open in 2018, and either EAD or RE. They'll have parking in the garage (which is currently not really used) in between the CBH and the new building.

TCOM students will stay at the MET, which is the building you all interviewed at.

Thank you and everyone else who addressed this question! This really eases my mind about things and yours and all the other responses have been very informative regarding the opening of the new MD program

Thank you and everyone else who addressed this question! This really eases my mind about things and yours and all the other responses have been very informative regarding the opening of the new MD program

I wonder how awkward the secondaries would be if you apply to both their MD and DO program.

"If you apply to our DO program, explain why you also applied to our MD program." - and vice versa.

Thank you! So it seems there won't be as much overlap as I had thought.

My portal says "you have been invited to an interview" . But no email Yet....just an FYI. So I think invitations are coming....

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students comment on the self directed study? How is it? Do you like it? Do you feel like you have enough time to learn everything prior to class?

Thanks in advance!

Can any current students comment on the self directed study? How is it? Do you like it? Do you feel like you have enough time to learn everything prior to class?

Thanks in advance!

In addition to this, how mandatory are classes?

This doesn't answer the question, but I did ask a student ambassador about recorded lectures, and they just started providing the audio/video lectures. They were previously just audio versions.

Thanks in advance!

So the self directed study for the most part is easy to understand and learnable before class. The faculty does a good job of using actual lecture time for the harder material. Sometimes there is A TON of self study material but a lot of it is also covered again in class. I would say most classes aren't mandatory, and if a class is actually mandatory they usually tell us.

I got Wait Listed, so do you mind sharing your stats?

@SOSO17 505 then a third was a 512.i was offered the interview before my results came back actually. gpa 3.83/6.68. gap year, TONS of research (couple papers, and various clinical and basic science research experience)

Last edited:
Including labs, I would say the average day has 2-3 hours of truly mandatory stuff. This consists of mainly anatomy lab (which ends in Jan of first year), OMM lab, and other random stuff under the umbrella of "Medical Practice." This is stuff like patient interviewing, physical exams, and simulation labs.

Including labs, I would say the average day has 2-3 hours of truly mandatory stuff. This consists of mainly anatomy lab (which ends in Jan of first year), OMM lab, and other random stuff under the umbrella of "Medical Practice." This is stuff like patient interviewing, physical exams, and simulation labs.
I was told by two students, one third year and one second year, that they had yet to touch/ interact with the simulation dummies.. That seemed kind of odd to me. How else do TCOM students practice their clinical skills?

I was told by two students, one third year and one second year, that they had yet to touch/ interact with the simulation dummies.. That seemed kind of odd to me. How else do TCOM students practice their clinical skills?

With simulated patients. These are real people that TCOM hires for us to practice with.

As first years we haven't had much interaction with simulations. We got some exposure to an abdomen simulator during our physical exam class and they had us take a survey to say whether or not the simulator would add to our learning experience. So, it seems like they are working on incorporating some degree of simulations earlier.

I got the phone call Today. Interview November 8th.

Submitted my secondary on 7/4. Haven't heard from the school. Do y'all know when interviews will be done?

I received my third II today! It was strange because I was not expecting a call...I thought it was a prank lol. LizzyM: 64.4; GPA: 3.9; MCAT:499
I have my interview on November 18th, good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted my secondary on 7/4. Haven't heard from the school. Do y'all know when interviews will be done?

Since Thunderdog just got his/her interview a few days ago, is it the end for us? I can't find any evidences of November interview invites :*(.

I'll probably be calling on Monday/Tuesday and asking if they intend to interview more.

Last edited:
Since Thunderdog just got his/her interview a few days ago, is it the end for us? I can't find any evidences of November interview invites :*(.

I'll probably be calling on Monday/Tuesday and asking if they intend to interview more.

I'm rooting for you, man.
It appears some got II into late November for IS and the Interview dates went past December.
This according to last year thread.

Last edited:
I'm rooting for you, man.
It appears some got II into late November for IS and the Interview dates went past December.
This according to last year thread.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'll skim that thread for sure later.

I got my II a couple days before Thanksgiving last year (interview day early Dec) and I know people in my class that interviewed in January too.

Reactions: 2 users
I got my II a couple days before Thanksgiving last year (interview day early Dec) and I know people in my class that interviewed in January too.

Interview invite in January?

Alright, so I just got off the phone with the admissions office. They stated they interview until January and that they are sending out more INVITES today and "as they come." For that last part, I'm not sure that they are still reviewing applications or that they haven't had time to make calls yet. I didn't want to bother the office lady too much as I'm sure they've gotten dozens of these calls.

Caroline called, November 18th!!!!!! I'm a super low LizzyM applicant, but it happened. I just need to not mess up now!

Reactions: 11 users
Hi all. So I interviewed at TCOM a few weeks ago, and my portal reads "your application is under review." Does this mean anything special? I reallllllyyy liked this school, and I really hoping to get pre-matched here.

Hi all. So I interviewed at TCOM a few weeks ago, and my portal reads "your application is under review." Does this mean anything special? I reallllllyyy liked this school, and I really hoping to get pre-matched here.
That's what mine says. I assume it means that they ranked you and you aren't rejected. If you are IS, hopefully you get good news by on November 15th. If you do, they really liked you.

This school was better than I expected.

Caroline called, November 18th!!!!!! I'm a super low LizzyM applicant, but it happened. I just need to not mess up now!

Yay! Saw you since the early days of this thread and very happy for you as well :)

no it literally means theyre still looking at your file and taking into consideration the interviewer's feedback. I got in, and mine said that for a few weeks until i got my acceptance email.

edit: i'm OOS so this could just be an OOS applicant's experience