University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
...2 weeks of ortho...

Well hell, still time to fall in love then. ;)

Might I recommend Hobart. If you DON'T take off days to go take tests or interview, the preceptor asks you why not. Furnished apt, bigger than the first one my wife and I shared. Free meals, albeit hosp food. Pretty much zero responsibility, and free reign to follow whoever. 8ish to 5ish, sometimes less, sometimes more if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

Might I recommend Hobart. If you DON'T take off days to go take tests or interview, the preceptor asks you why not. Furnished apt, bigger than the first one my wife and I shared. Free meals, albeit hosp food. Pretty much zero responsibility, and free reign to follow whoever. 8ish to 5ish, sometimes less, sometimes more if you want.

I wanted to go to Hobart, but they told me they couldn't find any handicapped accessible housing there. :(

I did my rural in Altus. I wouldn't call it a vacation or blow off location, but I definitely liked it. You work with a family physician. Most days are 7ish to 5ish. If he has patients in the hospital (0-3, usually), you round on them together in the morning then go to clinic. He does his own OB, including C-sections. I got to scrub in on three during the month, with about 4 or 5 vaginal deliveries. They put me up in a hotel and gave me free meals at the hospital cafeteria.

He had to go do an emergent C-section one afternoon, so I got to run the clinic practically by myself for about 2 hours. :p
Sounds pretty cool except I need a pretty decent amount of time to study and that sounds like more responsibility than I'm willing to devote.

Hobart sounds perfect. No chance of falling in love with ortho - I don't like bones or joints. :) Still, it's the OR and there is trauma though I don't really know what all the 3rd year does on the rotation - haven't really talked to anyone who's taken it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still, it's the OR and there is trauma though I don't really know what all the 3rd year does on the rotation - haven't really talked to anyone who's taken it.

I thought all third years were good for on surgical rotations was to give the residents someone to verbally and mentally abuse?

So we got our random numbers today for 4th yr scheduling and I have to say I am totally confused on the process. How is one supposed to know when you can do aways until you actually schedule? Seems kinda crazy to me.

It also hit me that I am just a hop skip and a jump from being a 4th yr which both tickles and scares the crap out of me (either way I need to change my drawers).

Okay, random thoughts over, please return to studying for test block or boards or getting ready for residency whichever your particular poison is.

As far as the ambulatory rotation is concerned, is there a good time to take this? I'm pretty much going to be able to schedule the amb and geri rotations whenever I want. It seems like January and February would be good times... but I can't tell. Interview season is Nov - Jan, so should I only plan on doing the slack off rotations during that time? Why is 4th year scheduling so hard?

As far as the ambulatory rotation is concerned, is there a good time to take this? I'm pretty much going to be able to schedule the amb and geri rotations whenever I want. It seems like January and February would be good times... but I can't tell. Interview season is Nov - Jan, so should I only plan on doing the slack off rotations during that time? Why is 4th year scheduling so hard?

You have to take the shelf at the end (although MZB will let you take it whenever really...) so a lot of people try to place AMB near their CK date so you don't have to study same **** twice. Granted, I don't know how I did yet, but if after 4 years of school you can't get a pass on the shelf, idk what to tell you. And it is only 1/5 of grade. You do get a lot of free time during AMB. I'm on it now, but idk if I can recommend it this late. I bet if I were on a 4 week selective right now they'd send me home every day, but AMB hours are pretty cake...it could be a week-long or at most a 2 weeker. Most days I am home crackin' a brew and working on my hizzy by noon.

About the only rotation I can think of that I would NOT take during interview season is the RAD selective. I didn't, but folks who did said that they were whiny ****ing bitches about taking off for interviews. Everyone else seems to be cool about it. Like they should be.

Oh and PATH selective. Not that they are bitches, it just sucked ass and I wouldn't even tell my enemies to take it.

Congrats to all you recent matchees! It is so nice to see you all reaching this point after stalking/chatting with you over the years.

Jwax: TB just isn't the same without you. I had to switch back to regular schedule without my 4 a.m. chat buddy. Don't think I've forgotten that I owe you a beer or four...maybe after your current rotation?

TB calls...

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I'm an incoming student for next year. I just wanted to know if anyone had recommendations regarding studios/single apartments. Also if you think its better to double up and find a roommate...just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

You have to take the shelf at the end (although MZB will let you take it whenever really...) so a lot of people try to place AMB near their CK date so you don't have to study same **** twice. Granted, I don't know how I did yet, but if after 4 years of school you can't get a pass on the shelf, idk what to tell you. And it is only 1/5 of grade. You do get a lot of free time during AMB. I'm on it now, but idk if I can recommend it this late. I bet if I were on a 4 week selective right now they'd send me home every day, but AMB hours are pretty cake...it could be a week-long or at most a 2 weeker. Most days I am home crackin' a brew and working on my hizzy by noon.

About the only rotation I can think of that I would NOT take during interview season is the RAD selective. I didn't, but folks who did said that they were whiny ****ing bitches about taking off for interviews. Everyone else seems to be cool about it. Like they should be.

Oh and PATH selective. Not that they are bitches, it just sucked ass and I wouldn't even tell my enemies to take it.
Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I have a bit of a unique problem right now. It seems as if I have more electives that I want to take next year than I can fit in. Like... 36 weeks worth of stuff.

So.... for ambulatory, would February be a good time? I'm taking CK in July and have no ability to fit amb into the Fall semester unless it was during interview season... which it seems like I ought to be able to take all my vacation time at that point. I'm also thinking Geriatrics in March. Any opinions?

Bravo - nice to see you posting again. I'm sorry I've been unavailable for 4am facebooking. If I were on surgery, I'd be able to talk to you at that time as I get ready for the day. ;) My chosen career will make 4am a wake up time for the remainder of my working days instead of a bedtime, which is unfortunate. Good luck on TB.

Sdotsom - For the roomie question, depends on if you generally get along with roomates or not. If you do, then it seems like a great way to make friends and be a little less lonely during a part of your life that will often seem incredibly alone. If not, then it will be a hazard that frustrates you and gives extra discomfort to an already stressful time. Many students live in the Lincoln apartments (or something like that...) that are roughly off I-44 and Lincoln, which is about 4-5 easy miles from the school that avoids the rush hour traffic of I-235. They're cute apartments. Decent sized. It seems like they are reasonable priced. And again, there are bunch of med students that live there so you'll often be close to your colleagues. I've lived in the same complex for four years, so I'm a little out of the loop on where else is good. I like my complex, but it is a good 20+ minute drive (due to traffic) from campus and it is at least a little ghetto so I don't think I'd recommend it. My hubby works security here so we don't pay rent. :)

Last edited:
Not sure how it works in OKC, but if you can avoid it, don't take vacation for interviewing! I took 3 months of "flex" courses where I didn't have to actually be in town, so all my vacation has actually been vacation. And as for wanting to do more electives than time, I'll note that 4th year burnout is very profound so don't overschedule yourself. For Tulsa people, you can always change your schedule at the last minute if you get a little too ambitious, but again, I don't know how that works in OKC.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I'm an incoming student for next year. I just wanted to know if anyone had recommendations regarding studios/single apartments. Also if you think its better to double up and find a roommate...just looking for some ideas. Thanks.

Check your inbox.

Also, you're definitely in the right place. :welcome:

Not sure how it works in OKC, but if you can avoid it, don't take vacation for interviewing! I took 3 months of "flex" courses where I didn't have to actually be in town, so all my vacation has actually been vacation. And as for wanting to do more electives than time, I'll note that 4th year burnout is very profound so don't overschedule yourself. For Tulsa people, you can always change your schedule at the last minute if you get a little too ambitious, but again, I don't know how that works in OKC.

Of the courses I want/need to take, only 3 four-week courses are really going to have much time commitment (trauma sub-i, surgery away, and either medicine icu or cardiac icu). The others are pretty much going to have minimal requirements of attendance. :thumbup: Just trying to come up with a way to fit it all in... The one below leaves out the medicine/cardiac icu, but I may do that instead of clinical cardio depending on what The Boss suggests when I meet with him on Monday.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

hey sdotsom: I'm incoming as well, and I just thought I would let you know what I had found out. I know a lot of people are looking at Deep Deuce Apts, they are relatively new and relatively cheap (for an apt downtown - I still think they're overpriced...) As far as houses go though, I know there are quite a few students that live in Bell Isle, right next to Penn Square Mall. It's a little further of a drive though... Hope that helps a little, good luck with the housing hunt!

For what it's worth, I lived on the south side of Moore (owned a house), and the commute wasn't that bad.

Prices and neighborhoods were better than some of the downtown stuff, in my opinion.

I lived around 41st & Portland, which was OK but not great. If I had to do it again, I'd probably look into renting a house closer to the school just because the area closer to downtown is neater.

So I talked to The Boss on Monday and his opinion is clinical cardio >> ICU month on med ICU/CCU. Anyone take the clinical cardiology rotation at Baptist? It looks like exactly what he thinks any wannabe surgeon should learn before intern year (how to read ECGs, treating arrhythmias and CHF, and the cardiac eval workup). It's that one or the clinical cards course here, which I've heard is a good, albeit softie, course.

Again... suggestions? I know our 4th years are mostly all in celebratory bliss and/or panic right now, but this whole 4th year schedule planning is a huge pain.

I dunno about the Baptist rotation, but I bet that your knowledge afterward would pale in comparison to what Sivaram imparts on you. I always relate a story about him during my gyn onc rotation when I had gone down to check on a pre-op echo. Dr. Peyton was in there already, so I was kinda hovering near the door. Sivaram finished up with him, and was just as cordial with me as he had been with Peyton. I've always thought that said a lot about him. Too many of the faculty view us as inconveniences.

And The Boss probably looked at aways with disdain. Your 2 best chances to match are your home program and your away. Keep that in mind.

So more aways = better then?

Simplifying somewhat, but yes. As long as:
1. It is a place you have a shot without doing one. Although you can change your stars a little bit, you don't want to do an away where you are out of your league. It would suck to spend a month busting your ass and not get an interview. It happens a lot.
2. You stand out. This is different from just being acceptable/average.
3. EVERYONE likes you, ALL the time. One negative comment and your month is wasted.

I only did one, and I regretted it until I matched, then I didn't care. And actually matched where I didn't do an away. Both parties can fake it for one day; an away allows you both to evaluate each other. So in that sense the more the better. But, my wife would have killed me if I'd done another away; between the away, my rural, and a military obligation I was already going to be out of town 3+ months, not counting my sub-I when I might as well have been. She's supportive, but it is hard to explain to a 3 y/o why your school has more time away from home requirements than pre-school.

I just remember some of the GS folks that went to talk to Postier mentioning that he was not a big fan of them. I think some of that is ego and bravado about OU's program, i.e. "Why would you want to go anywhere else?!?!?", but I dunno.

But, my wife would have killed me if I'd done another away; between the away, my rural, and a military obligation I was already going to be out of town 3+ months, not counting my sub-I when I might as well have been. She's supportive, but it is hard to explain to a 3 y/o why your school has more time away from home requirements than pre-school.

Definitely understand that. My plan if my house sells anytime soon is for the wife to quit work then she and the kids will go with me in my pimpin' trailer to the aways and rural rotation. That is assuming I can find a place to put it for the rural ones. I know I can for some of the locations, Weatherford in particular since my sister lives there and Altus as well. And if my house doesn't sell and I wind up in Duncan for the rural rotation I will just live at home.

I've always thought that said a lot about him. Too many of the faculty view us as inconveniences.

And The Boss probably looked at aways with disdain. Your 2 best chances to match are your home program and your away. Keep that in mind.
I agree. The Boss was tutor for the rotation and he took us out for lunch in bricktown and ice cream afterward on our last day with him. Along the way, there were two girls in there 20s-30s who were wearing graduation garb taking photos of each other by the buffalo at the ballpark. He stopped and asked if they'd like him to take their picture. It was such a simple random act of kindness and I absolutely love him for it.

Simplifying somewhat, but yes. As long as:
1. It is a place you have a shot without doing one. Although you can change your stars a little bit, you don't want to do an away where you are out of your league. It would suck to spend a month busting your ass and not get an interview. It happens a lot.
2. You stand out. This is different from just being acceptable/average.
3. EVERYONE likes you, ALL the time. One negative comment and your month is wasted.

I just remember some of the GS folks that went to talk to Postier mentioning that he was not a big fan of them. I think some of that is ego and bravado about OU's program, i.e. "Why would you want to go anywhere else?!?!?", but I dunno.
Those exceptions are why The Boss is anti-aways. He thinks that whether or not your away will help you match is 50-50. If you don't stand out, or more importantly, you make one mistake in after a month of rock staring it, then you blew a month. I don't disagree with his sentiment, but I actually want to do an away more for the experience of spending a month in a new town and seeing how things are done outside of OK more than trying to make a good impression and match. I almost rather go somewhere I don't stand a chance matching so I can just go, learn, and not worry too much about having to rock star it.

The Boss is actually pretty dang amazing about helping students match GS regardless of where they want to go. He told me if I wasn't getting interview offers like I ought to be next fall to let him know and he'd start making phone calls. Can you tell I'm a fan?

Husbands are also not very into their wives having to spend a month on a sub-i (where I'll be non-existent), a month on a rural, and a month away, but I guess they can understand it better than 3 year olds.

...but I guess they can understand it better than 3 year olds.

Our brains not being much more developed than this, it can be a close call sometimes.

No doubt, aways are a gamble. But in my mind, only for the shy, the quiet, the awkward, or the blatantly egotistical. You have to stand out, but you don't want to be remembered for the wrong reasons. The people I know that fit the above were not as happy on March 18th as I was. Was it their away? I don't know. So yeah, if you are a nutjob, that is more likely to show up over a month than over 4 hours. I think if you are a normal human being, carefully selected aways can only help. Obviously I don't have the experience that He does, and maybe they aren't as crucial in GS. I just know that in any other surg sub, if you don't do at least one you are in fact a ****** and you should pick a good plan B.

soonereng, might I again recommend Hobart, and advise you to choose Weatherford at your peril. Granted, I only have FB status updates to go off of. But the ones I was reading while sitting in my underwear in the furnished apt and watching basketball sounded much more miserable than my experience. Of course, I don't know what a spouse and kids would do in Hobart for the <7 hrs. you are not with them. I guess they have a rockin' pig show pretty much every night?

soonereng, might I again recommend Hobart, and advise you to choose Weatherford at your peril. Granted, I only have FB status updates to go off of. But the ones I was reading while sitting in my underwear in the furnished apt and watching basketball sounded much more miserable than my experience. Of course, I don't know what a spouse and kids would do in Hobart for the <7 hrs. you are not with them. I guess they have a rockin' pig show pretty much every night?

Hobart was on my list but I don't remember how far down. From talking to people, in Weatherford staying in the hospital even on the nights you weren't on call was what made the difference. Those who had somewhere else to go at night (ie my trailer parked at my sisters house) had less issues. Granted it is more work there regardless, but I'm not opposed to work if I actually get to do something and hone my skills.

On aways for GS, the chair of the GS program in Tulsa specifically recommends them. I would guess it makes sense to do it for GS, but you have to understand there's an element of risk there. Based on the replies to your facebook post, I might be a little cautious about doing one at an absolute dream program since it sounds like maybe it blew that one guy's chance to go there.

I ended up in Altus for my rural. Anyone have any opinions about it? I haven't heard much and the student opinions section was a bit skimpy. I think I ranked it #4 b/c of the house provided for you to stay in vs. in-hospital beds.

I did my rural in Altus. I liked it. You definitely work, but you have a lot of opportunity to do things independently, if you want.

Clinic mostly from 8 to 5. You come in early to round on patients if he's got anyone in the hospital. He does his own OB, so I also got to help with 4 or 5 deliveries and C-sections. You can scrub as the first assist, if you want. I did the pediatric side of the OB stuff, so that was fun.

I think the most he ever had was 3 inpatients. I did my first H&P dictations there, as well. :p It was a big thing for me back then.

Hmm... For the most part it's pretty standard family medicine.

You get to eat free in the cafeteria. I don't know anything about the house. They put me up in a hotel since the house wasn't wheelchair accessible.

I did my rural in Altus. I liked it. You definitely work, but you have a lot of opportunity to do things independently, if you want.

Clinic mostly from 8 to 5. You come in early to round on patients if he's got anyone in the hospital. He does his own OB, so I also got to help with 4 or 5 deliveries and C-sections. You can scrub as the first assist, if you want. I did the pediatric side of the OB stuff, so that was fun.

I think the most he ever had was 3 inpatients. I did my first H&P dictations there, as well. :p It was a big thing for me back then.

Hmm... For the most part it's pretty standard family medicine.

You get to eat free in the cafeteria. I don't know anything about the house. They put me up in a hotel since the house wasn't wheelchair accessible.

Think he'll be ok with my skipping out the first Thursday & Friday for CS in Houston? And skipping out near the end of the month for CK?
Thanks for responding. I've missed the advice from our upperclassmen. I guess you lose that when you become the upperclassmen. :) / :(

I too did my first dictation on my rural. Took me FOREVER. Kept thinking, "Feel bad for who transcribes this." But I met her next day. The thing about those small towns, you don't know anyone, but they all know you:
"You the medical student?"
:scared: "Yeah?"
"Your dictation was great. They are normally not that thorough."
"Really? Huh. That was my very first one!"
"I'd have never guessed."
:D

Think he'll be ok with my skipping out the first Thursday & Friday for CS in Houston? And skipping out near the end of the month for CK?
Thanks for responding. I've missed the advice from our upperclassmen. I guess you lose that when you become the upperclassmen. :) / :(

You should be fine. Dr. Sheets is one of the nicest docs I've ever worked with. :)

You should be fine. Dr. Sheets is one of the nicest docs I've ever worked with. :)

Good to know. I'll have to call him next week to make sure he's okay with it. I like to give super advanced warning.

I cannot express how happy I am to be done with the medicine rotation. That was just misery. Not quite as bad as peds (because sick little people are just too dang sad), but I cannot stand hours of rounding. Nightmare. And it is over!! :woot: I think psych is going to drive me out of my mind, but as long as the hours are easy it's okay. Got assigned to the ortho trauma service next week so that should be cool.

Hope everyone else is surviving, especially you poor second years. This is the hardest time of the year for ya'll.

Are you getting excited about the move to WV? Im sure you can hardly wait to get to the dark room...:D

Yeah. I got my rotation schedule for next year last week, and it was sweet to see 13 blocks of radiology. :D Also, as the chief resident mentioned, "most rotations are 8 to 5." Somebody pinch me.

I have a floors next block and finish out with peds outpatient. My motivation is waning severely. I think this is almost worse than the last few months of 4th year. :p

How are things with you? Ready to wear scrubs for the rest of your professional life? Have you bought a nice personalized surgical cap yet? :laugh:

Hey everybody, I just have a quick question about the University Village apartments. My best friend is starting at OU med in August and was just notified that there is a studio available for her if she wants it. She is out of the country and can't go look at it. The floorplan looks TINY... is there any way she could fit 2 couches, a coffee table, and a very small kitchen table in it?

She is also looking at Deep Deuce and Lincoln at Central Park...

Any suggestions as to what she should do?

She asked for my advice and since I frequent SDN and know you guys will know better than me, I figured I'd ask here.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:
... is there any way she could fit 2 couches, a coffee table, and a very small kitchen table in it?

She is also looking at Deep Deuce and Lincoln at Central Park...

Any suggestions as to what she should do?

I haven't been inside a studio but I have been inside a two bedroom and it definitely didn't have room for 2 sofas so I would guess that to be true of the smaller studio, too.

Plenty of people live at Deep Deuce and at Lincoln. Having been in apartments at both, my personal preference would be the Lincoln.

How are things with you? Ready to wear scrubs for the rest of your professional life? Have you bought a nice personalized surgical cap yet? :laugh:

haha oh yeah. I have ER starting tomorrow then anesthesia begins in june. Today I tied my tie for the last time in the near future at least...

oh, and yes, I actually just bought my 1st of many personalized scrub hats...being in missouri country I had to introduce a little class to the ORs so I bought a white scub hat that says Boomer Sooner on the front. These mizzou fans are going to be sick...:laugh:

oh, and yes, I actually just bought my 1st of many personalized scrub hats...being in missouri country I had to introduce a little class to the ORs so I bought a white scub hat that says Boomer Sooner on the front. These mizzou fans are going to be sick...:laugh:

:thumbup:

I will say, the orthopods are a blast to be with. I like all of them, and their trauma attending Dr. E is amazing. It's been a lot of fun, but as I've told them... I just love big open bellies, big bloody messes, too much switch to bone & joint only.

:thumbup: Very nice.

Just six weeks of psych stand between me and 4th year. :highfive: Pretty much never thought I'd be here back in first year. It just seemed impossible to reach this point. Just ~2.5 weeks and one year until graduation. :D

Just six weeks of psych stand between me and 4th year. :highfive: Pretty much never thought I'd be here back in first year. It just seemed impossible to reach this point. Just ~2.5 weeks and one year until graduation. :D

Well done! :)

Where are you for psych?

Well done! :)

Where are you for psych?

C&L for outpt then Griffin for inpt. It's not so great... though getting to work at 9am and leaving at 4:30 pm isn't too bad. Just mentally checked out of 3rd year.

So... as far as niceness goes... do you think he might let me skip out on a Thursday, Friday, and following Monday to take CS in Houston? I am planning on using the July 9 exam date as an excuse to have a quick vacation as well, but I'll be driving on Thursday, taking the exam on Friday, and then leaving on Sunday... meaning I'd have only 1 day there to relax :(. So I was thinking about asking for that Monday, too, so I could stay one extra day and actually have a little break. I haven't called to talk to him yet about my step II plans so I thought I'd see what your thoughts were.

In other news... only 4 weeks and 4 days until 3rd year is OVER. :D Not that I'm counting.

Incoming student that just wanted to jump on here and say hi. Also I have a question about the lecture recordings. Does anyone know how to adjust the lecture video speed on the macs? I tried with safari and firefox with no success. I have windows with bootcamp and it works in IE, but I hate using windows and having to restart since I don't have parallels or fusion. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey guys.....I have a completely random question. Does OU do exam blocks...i.e. a week of tests, etc like I've heard at other schools? I have a lot of friends that I won't see for awhile who are going to Austin City Limits, from Oct 8-10. I'm not really thinkin I'll have the time to go anyway.....but just in case, was just wondering if exams are already kicking in by then.

Hey guys.....I have a completely random question. Does OU do exam blocks...i.e. a week of tests, etc like I've heard at other schools? I have a lot of friends that I won't see for awhile who are going to Austin City Limits, from Oct 8-10. I'm not really thinkin I'll have the time to go anyway.....but just in case, was just wondering if exams are already kicking in by then.

Well, I'm not sure how they are going to be doing it with the new curriculum but in the past it has been a week of tests q5-6 wks. My twins were born on Oct 1st 2.5 yrs ago and that was just after a test block week which worked out pretty well for me so I didn't go to class at all that week other than anatomy lab.

Perhaps the MS1-2s know for sure how they are planning to do this with the new curriculum.

We'll still have test blocks, but I'm completely in the dark as to when exactly they'll be.