University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JustOne - it is my (recent and perhaps incomplete) understanding that your materials will be on the new Desire2Learn (D2L) platform that is launching campus-wide over the summer rather than the traditional hippocrates. D2L is supposed to be completely compatible with both PC and Mac. Side note: if you are watching lectures already a) the structure is supposed to have been completely revamped so you're wasting your time and b) stop it. Go drink a beer, reread your letter of acceptance and enjoy the moment.
See #90 and 91
101 Things You Wish You Knew Before Starting Medical School

Re: Test Blocks and incoming MSIs
My understanding is that the traditional exam block structure will no longer exist for classes 2014 and beyond. I actually just inquired about your schedule of exams in an effort to plan meetings for an interest group and was advised that your schedules aren't quite solidified.

As far as planning for ACL in Oct...I would expect expect you guys to have started taking exams by then (what kind? when? how often? who knows!?) but it doesn't seem likely that you'll be able to make that judgement until you get settled into your coursework. MSI, regardless of the structure, takes some adjusting and making those decisions this far out doesn't really mean much. Once they send your schedule it might be a little more practical to start thinking about that. I have a feeling that you are going to get as sick of hearing "but we don't really know since you are the first class to [fill in the blank] in the new cirriculum" as we are of hearing "so you guys are the last class to [fill in the blank]." I know it is frustrating to not have more to go on WRT planning your life beyond mid-August.

Members don't see this ad.

I just watched a couple to see what I was getting myself into. I'm trying to determine whether to get a new computer or not. If I have to use windows to speed it up I'll probably get a new one. But if the new format is more mac friendly I might not. I knew when I was watching them it would be completely different, it's not like I'm taking notes, studying, and testing myself........ Wait, maybe I should start, I wouldn't want to get behind! Just kidding.

I just watched a couple to see what I was getting myself into. I'm trying to determine whether to get a new computer or not. If I have to use windows to speed it up I'll probably get a new one. But if the new format is more mac friendly I might not. I knew when I was watching them it would be completely different, it's not like I'm taking notes, studying, and testing myself........ Wait, maybe I should start, I wouldn't want to get behind! Just kidding.

Your signature with the help sign and bug eyes are pretty accurate. ;)

It just occured to me that emailing Rob Freedman about how the lecture bit is going work might offer more concrete help. I think he knows that answers to all things computer-related.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to my guy in Altus. You're right, Amx, he is super nice. Didn't mind my step 2 dates in July at all, though I think he was a little sad that I said "trauma surgeon" as my likely career. I doubt I can ask off for the Monday after CS though. Alas. That's okay - he sounds like he's going to make an irritating requirement a decent month. I expect to enjoy it. :)

Talked to my guy in Altus. You're right, Amx, he is super nice. Didn't mind my step 2 dates in July at all, though I think he was a little sad that I said "trauma surgeon" as my likely career. I doubt I can ask off for the Monday after CS though. Alas. That's okay - he sounds like he's going to make an irritating requirement a decent month. I expect to enjoy it. :)

Awesome. :)

He let me spend some time with the radiologists there, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets you some time with the general surgeons, if (hah!) you're interested.

Awesome. :)

He let me spend some time with the radiologists there, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets you some time with the general surgeons, if (hah!) you're interested.

He said, "Well, I can't promise you any trauma surgery, but if anything like that comes in, we can try to have the ER page you so you can run on in". So it sounds like he looks out for his students, which is always something I respect in a teaching physician. :thumbup: Sounds like it should be a perfect combo of keeping busy, getting to study for boards, and hopefully soak up some small town livin'.

So convocation tomorrow and commencement Saturday. I think it's about time. It feels like I've been doing this forever.

As for other thoughts, yeah, rural is not really going to be a big trauma rotation. We didn't even work in the ER, so I didn't see any. And boo to no test blocks. I'm hoping they at least have something where they've not testing you all the time. I guess they could have one big integrated type of test as a block midterm and final. Test blocks and homeschooling were my favorite parts features of MS1 and 2 curriculum.

And no, you never need to get a PC, regardless of what anybody tells you. I've used a mac all four years, and it's been fine. I did have to use parallels for one of the histology programs, but that was pretty minor.

Also, congrats on everyone who's been accepted for next year! I'm curious to hear thoughts about the new curriculum.

Congrats, grads!! I'm very happy for you all, but I am really sad to see you go. You've all been great sources of advice and support over the last 3+ years. It's going to be so weird being the top dawg again. It's been a long time since being a senior meant anything. Shame it just means one more year til starting at the bottom of the ladder again.

Can I just go ahead and check off psych from my list? I've pretty much checked out of this rotation already...

Last edited:
Third year is officially over. Psych was a good way to finish, I must confess. This and family were the best hours all year. Time for a lovely two week break, then it's time to hit the ground running again. Congrats, Seniors!!! :D

DMB, I see that you're gonna end up in St. Louis? Having spent the last 7 years there, I can say that you'll love it. Make sure you check out Pappy's Bar b que, which is right next to SLU MED. Some of the best I've ever had.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMB, I see that you're gonna end up in St. Louis? Having spent the last 7 years there, I can say that you'll love it. Make sure you check out Pappy's Bar b que, which is right next to SLU MED. Some of the best I've ever had.

Yeah, ive been in STL for the past year. And youre right about Pappy's...I live just down the street from there...

Yeah, ive been in STL for the past year. And youre right about Pappy's...I live just down the street from there...

The things I miss most about being "back East" besides family are definitely the food. It's damn near impossible to find good Mexican food here, there isn't a Braum's for 856 miles (I know cause I looked it up on Google Maps), and I'm still looking for a good barbecue joint.

Finally started working on this whole residency application thing... yuck!! It is just way too much bs to have to plug in. What a pain.

I started thinking about whether or not I want to add in prelim apps in general surgery, and if so, how many? I was originally thinking I would... but now I'm considering not doing it. I'm under the impression there are lots of prelim spots open after match if I have to scramble. Anyone have an opinion? Should I post this on the surgery forum instead of asking you guys? :)

I just finished my rural rotation. While there, I got to do a lap chole and a debridement of decub ulcer myself (with instructive guidance of course). This made the experience far better than expected though it is really nice to be home.

The things I miss most about being "back East" besides family are definitely the food. It's damn near impossible to find good Mexican food here, there isn't a Braum's for 856 miles (I know cause I looked it up on Google Maps), and I'm still looking for a good barbecue joint.

Agreed. I'm not east-I'm north, but the food up here is terrible. I don't even go out to eat anymore. The problem in Minnesota is the lack of flavor and the local affinity for everything bland. I went home to Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago and finally had some good Mexican food and BBQ. I forgot how much I miss it.

Finally started working on this whole residency application thing... yuck!! It is just way too much bs to have to plug in. What a pain.

I started thinking about whether or not I want to add in prelim apps in general surgery, and if so, how many? I was originally thinking I would... but now I'm considering not doing it. I'm under the impression there are lots of prelim spots open after match if I have to scramble. Anyone have an opinion? Should I post this on the surgery forum instead of asking you guys? :)

I just finished my rural rotation. While there, I got to do a lap chole and a debridement of decub ulcer myself (with instructive guidance of course). This made the experience far better than expected though it is really nice to be home.

Are you doing general surgery or a surgical subspecialty? I don't know really anything about the particulars, but I'll assume there is some analogy to prelim medicine and transitional programs.

Yes, there are a ton of preliminary slots out there, but I think you run the risk of ending up in some combination of a malignant program or an undesirable place if you rely on the scramble. There are definitely some nice prelim surgery programs out there (I've only heard about them anecdotally because my brain has seizures when it thinks about doing anything surgical), and they aren't generally the ones you scramble into.

I know you're facing a lot of expenses and anxiety going into application season, but you just leave too much to chance if you're planning to scramble. Maybe I'm naive when it comes to how surgery works; I just wouldn't do it, though.

Are you doing general surgery or a surgical subspecialty? I don't know really anything about the particulars, but I'll assume there is some analogy to prelim medicine and transitional programs.

Yes, there are a ton of preliminary slots out there, but I think you run the risk of ending up in some combination of a malignant program or an undesirable place if you rely on the scramble. There are definitely some nice prelim surgery programs out there (I've only heard about them anecdotally because my brain has seizures when it thinks about doing anything surgical), and they aren't generally the ones you scramble into.

I know you're facing a lot of expenses and anxiety going into application season, but you just leave too much to chance if you're planning to scramble. Maybe I'm naive when it comes to how surgery works; I just wouldn't do it, though.

I agree with your thought here. I know of a couple of people who used the approach of scrambling into a prelim surgery spot. Neither one of them did very well as far as going to a good program. Prelim spots are oftentimes a bit of an afterthought (for myself included), but it really does matter where you end up. It is a year of your life........My suggestion is limit your number of interviews to a few places that are very desirable as far as workload/location goes (these will obviously tend to be more competitive) and also interview a few places that aren't as good / less competitive (but tolerable) as backups. This was my approach as I did 5 prelim interviews (3 more competitive programs and 2 safe programs).

Another suggestion (even though you didn't ask). Download the "Ding" program from Southwest Airlines. It saved me a boatload on interviewing expenses and rent your hotels and rental cars on priceline.com.

I don't know much about this, so bear with me but I would apply to one or two prelim spots if you feel like you have any chance at all at not matching. I would say you could scramble into one, and people do. It sometimes ends up working out for them. I do know this: if you think being a surgical intern will be hard, imagine being one that no one gives a **** about. Being a prelim is about as close as you can legally come to being in a pyramidal residency. I know people that are on their THIRD GS prelim year, trying to catch a GS categorical spot. I don't get it, but whatever. So, rather than gamble with a program, shop for one that you feel isn't completely malignant. And don't count on getting a pgy2 spot. You may do 2 internships, depending on how the chips fall. But shopping gives you a modicum of control.

There is no way in hell I would do this twice.

I don't particularly think I won't match into a categorical spot. I'm not a rock star applicant by any stretch, but I'm not a total dud either. I haven't failed anything (yet), I've been well liked among my surgical peers, got mostly A's in 3rd year, and my LoRs should be pretty great. I've got some research in there, too. I am also planning to apply broadly (~30-35 places) and intend to rank about 12 places. I was thinking at most I would apply to one or two prelims so I could have some choice in that matter. I really, really don't want to scramble and am certainly taking the right steps to keep that from happening. I really don't want to do a prelim year as the idea of not knowing where I'd end up one year later is utterly terrifying.

Anyways. Thanks for the advice guys. Hope intern year isn't killing you.

Application time is upon us. Any suggestions on how many work/volunteer experiences to include on the app? I was going to include a few things from college days (community service organization, research, secretary job) along with various stuff that I've been involved with since med school started. I'm trying to not get nervous about this whole thing and recognize that ultimately it will work out in some fashion, and if I end up somewhere I didn't originally want to go, I probably will learn to love it anyways.

How's the application process going for everyone else? How are classes/rotations going for everyone? This board has been dead lately. :(

Sorry, the first years have been pretty busy learning how to drink from fire hydrants. ;)

As of right now, the fire hydrant has only been cracked open resulting in a trickle.

First test week... :scared:

:luck: The good news is you'll be prepared for the stress that comes with test block from here on out; you'll know what to expect. It'll probably be fine. Most students who start med school will finish, so odds are in your favor.

You know what's not fun?

Taking a test online and having the server crash in the middle of it.

You know what's not fun?

Taking a test online and having the server crash in the middle of it.

I had that happen on one of Dr. Blair's tests. What made it worse was when I had to restart my computer and it started some automatic update crap that I couldn't cancel out of that took like 10 minutes. Fortunately he was pretty understanding of the technical difficulties since our class was the guinea pig for how not to do it....

Bumping b/c it's a snow day, I'm a 4th year, and I have little better to do.

You know how I know surgery was the right choice for me? Sitting around doing nothing frustrates me and confuses me. No goals = complete inability to accomplish anything. I just don't know what to do with free time anymore. Reading a lot. Watching a lot of movies. Catching up on a lot of TV shows. Really just watching the clock til March 17. Can't wait to know where my future will lie.

This thread is in need of a hospice consult...

:laugh:
I think that geriatrics rotation has gotten to you...

I am really, really saddened that the following generations of OU med students did not get into this thread. The 2010 class sorta got into it a little (barely) but the next two have been practically absent. :thumbdown: Guess they have "cooler" things to do besides post on SDN.

Unlike me. On ORL right now as a distraction for match, which is helpful until I come home and resume obsessing.

I think our class was a little paranoid about open-forum media and administration for some reason. :cuckoo:

INSANE to me that it has been a year since I got fairly drunk celebrating news and then got a phone call from chair of program, who I have since learned is a complete teetotaler.

Congrats to those who have made it through Black Monday unscathed, condolences to those that didn't...

Does anyone from the class of 2011 or below still post and/or follow this thread?

I'm mostly asking cause I'd like to see this year's match list when it comes out.

I'm home this week after having carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, so I don't have anything better to do. ;)

Does anyone from the class of 2011 or below still post and/or follow this thread?

I'm mostly asking cause I'd like to see this year's match list when it comes out.

I'm home this week after having carpal tunnel surgery yesterday, so I don't have anything better to do. ;)

I'll post it when it's available. Can hardly wait for tomorrow!

Congrats, everyone, for matching! And yes, I want to see the match list, too, whenever it's available.

Exciting times. And you guys might have pretty decent intern years with those 16 hour calls.

Promised match list is attached. Lotsa peeps staying in Oklahoma (out of preference I think, at least it was for me).

Attachments

• 2011 Match Results.pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 118
Oh my goodness, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I'll go ahead and send a belated congratulations to all the MS IV's who recently matched.

Believe it or not, I still check here from time to time. I just like to know what's going on back at OU being that I'm a thousand miles away now.

Carpal tunnel already! You just started Radiology. I hope I don't join you. How are things going?

Last edited:
And you guys might have pretty decent intern years with those 16 hour calls.

Yeah, being the guinea pigs for the new hours is going to be swell. Especially for surgery residents. :cool:

Bit scared of moving... We've lived in OK all our lives. At least Shreveport isn't forever away, only ~6 or 7 hours. Nervous about starting residency. I'm sure I don't feel different than most people. Utterly unreal that I'm graduating from med school - I was sure it wouldn't happen.

Hope everyone is surviving.

Believe it or not, I still check here from time to time. I just like to know what's going on back at OU being that I'm a thousand miles away now.

Carpal tunnel already! You just started Radiology. I hope I don't join you. How are things going?

I had some kind of weird bruise issue that lead to the surgery. Doing well now, thankfully. CT release surgery sucks for anyone, but a wheelchair user has an especially difficult time.

I'm loving my job. I can't believe I'm finally going to be an upper level resident in 7 weeks. :D

We also get to start independent night float starting in July as R2s. Lots of anxiety is building for that.

I'm also glad I'm not having to study for a physics board exam this fall, although it's kind of a mixed blessing. If I had an exam coming up soon (as opposed to not having one until late October of 2013) I would probably be reading/studying more diligently.

Hi everyone. This is my first post here!

How is it to be a student at OU?
How do you guys study? Examples.

I've heard about this book by Cal Newport; "How to become a Straight A Student". Have anyone of you guys red that, or even picked up some things on the way you can share on how to become successful? I need to sharpen up my studying schedule to really focus on getting into a Med. school. I'd appreciate if you could share some tips (how to use a planner, how much you read every day ++). I'm starting my freshman year this fall.

I know this might look a little strange, but I really want to know how other people's study habits are, in order to perfect my own so that I can allocate my time better etc.

Thanks!

Hi everyone. This is my first post here!

How is it to be a student at OU?
How do you guys study? Examples.

I've heard about this book by Cal Newport; "How to become a Straight A Student". Have anyone of you guys red that, or even picked up some things on the way you can share on how to become successful? I need to sharpen up my studying schedule to really focus on getting into a Med. school. I'd appreciate if you could share some tips (how to use a planner, how much you read every day ++). I'm starting my freshman year this fall.

I know this might look a little strange, but I really want to know how other people's study habits are, in order to perfect my own so that I can allocate my time better etc.

Thanks!

I don't know how OU undergrad is, but being a med student at OU is pretty much like being one anywhere else, I'd think. (Bumps and bruises from the curriculum change this year aside.)

To study? We pretty much watch lectures and memorize the powerpoints during the first two years, although I wouldn't recommend the level of crazy that med school demands at your stage of the game. You can put in a solid 8-9 hour day doing that, and that's just (or at least should be) unnecessary for undergrad. For a planner, I love Google Calendar. Harder to lose than a hard copy.

There are lots and lots of helpful hints about how to succeed (and lots and lots of not so helpful ones, too) over on the pre-med section of these boards. I'd recommend you look around there too. Good luck!

Wow. We've been on page 85 of this thread for over a year. I guess our year never really got into SDN?

Also, I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I actually managed to finish a year of medical school! WOOOOOOOO

Wow. We've been on page 85 of this thread for over a year. I guess our year never really got into SDN?

Also, I'd just like to take this moment to point out that I actually managed to finish a year of medical school! WOOOOOOOO

Enjoy the summer off. It's the last one you'll ever get. :laugh:

An 85 page thread???

Hey Knitress what do you mean by "bumps and bruises"? I'm guessing with any major overhauls there are some glitches.

I also just wanted to say that it's so exciting to follow in OU's tradition. I'm really excited about the future.

Belated congrats to the class of 2011 I'll probably never see you guys.

Also does anyone have any like advice for first years? Especially for someone who hasn't picked up a textbook in over a year.

And Knitress can you send me a syllabus for something just to see what the reading load is like.