University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations! Now just do mock interviews and practice so you can rock that interview. Are you interviewing in January some time?

Reactions: 1 user
Just got invited for an interview yesterday!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview coming up and I'm trying to figure out where I should fly into. Is Lexington the best option?

There is an airport in Pikeville. Its called Pike Country Airport, but I'm not sure if it will have a flight that you are looking for since its a small airport. Code is PVL

You can try Huntington,WV or Charleston,WV as well, because they're about the same distance as Lexington,
however Lexington might be your best bet pricewise.

Hey everyone, I have an interview at KYCOM in january. Im very excited about this school. They seem like they are very supportive of their students and their success. If anyone has any tips or advice for my interview or would like to just share things they really liked about this school please feel free to PM me.

Hey guys! I started to go through the immunization check list and am unable to find record for Hep B series (I'm thinking I got them when I was living in another country).. I recently did blood test to see if I have immunity and the result does say I have immunity.. Does anyone know if I still need to get the shots even if I already have immunity? I tried to contact Angela, but having a hard time reaching her.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have an interview at KYCOM in january. Im very excited about this school. They seem like they are very supportive of their students and their success. If anyone has any tips or advice for my interview or would like to just share things they really liked about this school please feel free to PM me.

I really liked the school, everyone was very nice and the building itself is pretty cool. Its like a maze but I'm sure when you start you will know where everything is. The students really answer anything you ask them, so be sure to ask them everything and anything on your mind. I would suggest doing mock interviews. I wrote down a couple of practice questions that I don't mind sharing with you if you want, you can PM me.

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it.

You're welcome!

Thanks for the responses, really appreciate it.

No prob, any time.

@Anthony7001, I'd say just relax and be yourself. For me the interview was stressful because it was my first one this cycle, however looking back I really didn't need to be. The med students are really friendly so make sure you chat with them and ask lots of questions, and be yourself in the interview, the interviewers just want to know who you are and why you're interested in their school.
I will say this though, pay attention to the Dean's message as I was asked about this.
Also, don't get locked in the stairwell after the interview.
Not that this happened to me or anything...:ninja:

Reactions: 1 users

Haha, the stairwell...:whoa:If you have Dr. Schaffer just remind him that you need his card to get back into the building from the stairwell. Or you will be locked out. Which is embarrassing.

Did they ask you to reiterate the school's mission to them during your interview?

No prob, any time.

@Anthony7001, I'd say just relax and be yourself. For me the interview was stressful because it was my first one this cycle, however looking back I really didn't need to be. The med students are really friendly so make sure you chat with them and ask lots of questions, and be yourself in the interview, the interviewers just want to know who you are and why you're interested in their school.
I will say this though, pay attention to the Dean's message as I was asked about this.

Did they ask you to reiterate the school's mission to them during your interview?

They could ask you indirectly, like "Why do you think you're a good fit for this school?" Then you could say "blah blah, and I have views similar to the mission of this school"

It would be good to know though.

Not directly but they asked me why would you come all the way from ____ to rural Kentucky?
And the dean's message is on KYCOM's website

I've been trying to contact Angela Hamilton but am having hard time to reach her.. (I emailed and also called but no answer).. Does anyone know how to get hold of her?

I've emailed Angela Hamilton multiple times but haven't heard anything either. Ronnie had an automated email saying he will be back on the 5th. I think they just take a while to get back, although it's been about 3 weeks. Maybe we will hear something after the holidays are over.

I read on the CIB that KYCOM requires a DO letter. I wanted to know if the school makes any exceptions to this because I'm unsure if I can acquire a DO letter (I already have an MD letter). If there are no exceptions I obviously won't be applying next cycle. Thanks in advance!

I read on the CIB that KYCOM requires a DO letter. I wanted to know if the school makes any exceptions to this because I'm unsure if I can acquire a DO letter (I already have an MD letter). If there are no exceptions I obviously won't be applying next cycle. Thanks in advance!

I am a current first year student and didn't have a DO letter nor did I shadow a DO although my family doc is a DO

Any recent IIs here? Was complete in October and no news. Any idea if they are still sending out IIs? Also, are they receptive to updates? Thanks!

Last edited:
I would call and ask what the status of your application is. (If you are able to reach sometime in the admissions office) Sometimes no news is better then a rejection. Last year I was complete in late august 2013 and didn't end up getting an interview until April 2014. I know the waiting and the uncertainty sucks right now but hang in there. A lot of times, schools are usually waiting for students that have been extended admission to make a decision before they move on to new applicants and pending applicants like you. Also, I hear that KYCOM has a LOT of shuffling around all the way up until the day of school, so there is still a good chance you will be given a secondary/ interview invite

How long did it take everyone to get an interview invite? I submitted my secondary in December and it was confirmed as being complete Decmber 16th. I haven't heard anything back from the college since.

They only have two interview days a month each with 25-30 students. The current facebook page only has 50 people in it (there are prob more accepted) so im imagining there are plenty of seats left. My friend called last week about his status and they said they are only looking at mcats 24 and above.

How long did it take everyone to get an interview invite? I submitted my secondary in December and it was confirmed as being complete Decmber 16th. I haven't heard anything back from the college since.

I applied in early October. I was offered to come in for an interview late in November, and I had my interview in December. So it was a very long process for me.

They only have two interview days a month each with 25-30 students. The current facebook page only has 50 people in it (there are prob more accepted) so im imagining there are plenty of seats left. My friend called last week about his status and they said they are only looking at mcats 24 and above.

I'm sure there are more people that have been accepted but haven't joined the Facebook page yet. I feel like some of those members on the page are from previous classes.

Wow, just got an ii and was complete August 20! Crazy, I wasn't even expecting any more!

II this morning! Complete 11/29. I will be interviewing Feb. 7th. The fact that there were only two open spots leads me to believe they choose when they want you to come in. Either way I am excited and look forward to meeting anyone else interviewing that day as well. OOS (just outside of Savannah, Georgia) 3.7c 3.8s 28 (8/10/10) for the lurkers.

II this morning! Complete 11/29. I will be interviewing Feb. 7th. The fact that there were only two open spots leads me to believe they choose when they want you to come in. Either way I am excited and look forward to meeting anyone else interviewing that day as well. OOS (just outside of Savannah, Georgia) 3.7c 3.8s 28 (8/10/10) for the lurkers.

Congrats. What days were open in February?

Thanks a lot. Akuma is a beast. They only had the 6th and 7th open..... period. March and April were not available to me and this leads me to believe they give you two days, back to back, that they would like to see you. At least this is my case and around two other people in this thread. We may be anomalies though because I feel more people would have pointed this out.

Thanks a lot. Akuma is a beast. They only had the 6th and 7th open..... period. March and April were not available to me and this leads me to believe they give you two days, back to back, that they would like to see you. At least this is my case and around two other people in this thread. We may be anomalies though because I feel more people would have pointed this out.

Thanks for the response.

Congrats on the interview. When I interviewed they only had two open days for the whole month as well. I couldn't pick anything after that month.

II today! My secondary was submitted 12/7. I was also only given the options of 2/6 or 2/7. I'll be there 2/6! Anyone else?

II today! My secondary was submitted 12/7. I was also only given the options of 2/6 or 2/7. I'll be there 2/6! Anyone else?
I am scheduled for the 6th as well!

did you guys get a complete email or anything? if so how long after since you submission? I submitted 12/1 but haven't received any emails since. OOS

I received a Secondary Complete 11/28 and an Application Complete within a day after. Hopefully this answers your question. Give them a call.... or several if you can't get a hold of anyone.

Has anyone been able to actually reach the office of admissions for the osteopathic school? I've been calling for the past couple weeks and havent been able to reach anyone. Its really frustrating because I submit my app back in october and havent received any update from them

did you guys get a complete email or anything? if so how long after since you submission? I submitted 12/1 but haven't received any emails since. OOS
I actually never received an email that my file was complete prior to my II. I submitted my secondary on 12/7