University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok thanks disappointing to hear. I had called the school in January, emailed him early February and never got any word from the school. Wish I could've gotten a hold of someone

Yeah sorry, I may be wrong tho.. But from previous posts from what it sounds like is that 2019 is full and they already put some into 2020.

Members don't see this ad.

I just gave up my seat for the Class of 2019 because I have decided to attend another osteopathic medical school. I'm sure it will go to a well deserving candidate.

I have just withdrew from the class of 2019 to attend another program. Good luck to those still waiting!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. Was recently extended an interview invite here. But I'm wonderring if you all will give me your opinions. I've already kind of set on another school and will be going to look for apartments in a few weeks. KYCOM was one of my top choices at the begin

ning of the cycle and I actually submitted my secondary here very early but when it took so long to get a response I assumed I wouldn't be hearing back. There is only one date available for the interview. Tuition at KYCOM is about 10k cheaper so its definitely worth considering but I was wondering how long they typically take to respond post interview? I'm torn at this point.

Hey everyone. Was recently extended an interview invite here. But I'm wonderring if you all will give me your opinions. I've already kind of set on another school and will be going to look for apartments in a few weeks. KYCOM was one of my top choices at the begin

ning of the cycle and I actually submitted my secondary here very early but when it took so long to get a response I assumed I wouldn't be hearing back. There is only one date available for the interview. Tuition at KYCOM is about 10k cheaper so its definitely worth considering but I was wondering how long they typically take to respond post interview? I'm torn at this point.
If I was in your shoes I would still attend the interview. It is always good to go and see the school for yourself to see how you feel about the atmosphere and see how happy the current students and faculty are there. You also said it yourself KYCOM was one of your top choices to begin with, I think you owe it to yourself to see this through. My opinion of KYCOM was changed greatly when I visited for my interview (I really loved it). The turn around for their decision post interview was about 1 week later. And a 10k per year difference is big, and also count in the KYCOM Advantage package that also comes with it, potentially ~50K saved in school expenses during your medical school career compared to the other schools you have been accepted to.

Hey everyone. Was recently extended an interview invite here. But I'm wonderring if you all will give me your opinions. I've already kind of set on another school and will be going to look for apartments in a few weeks. KYCOM was one of my top choices at the beginning of the cycle and I actually submitted my secondary here very early but when it took so long to get a response I assumed I wouldn't be hearing back. There is only one date available for the interview. Tuition at KYCOM is about 10k cheaper so its definitely worth considering but I was wondering how long they typically take to respond post interview? I'm torn at this point.

I would definitely attend the interview. It gives you an idea of the campus and the people in and around the school. Theres also the KYCOM advantage, and they also give you laptop/ipad and other stuff so you don't have to go out and buy it. They respond within a week. So if you interview Friday you will find out Monday-Friday, which is great because you don't have to suffer the torture of waiting.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

It took four months after submitting my secondary before I heard I was getting an interview, and I had begun to give up hope that it would happen. Then I got the email about an interview. I interviewed on a Friday and was told that they would call the next week if I was accepted. I got my call on a Tuesday. The class is full that starts in July 2015, and the acceptances are for 2016 with the possibility of starting this July. If you love the school and was a top choice, I would go to the interview. The turn around time is fast. I was told a long time ago that when I look at schools and have to make a choice that I will know which one is for me. I interviewed at a couple of other schools, and I did not have the goosebump feeling that at did at KYCOM. I knew this was the school for me. If you go to the interview, you will probably know which school is for you, and then you will not having any regrets later in life. It was a very enjoyable interview day. There were lots of medical students that were present on my interview day. So I was able to ask lots of questions. I have been told by numerous individuals including several MDs what a great school KYCOM is so I feel even more confident in my choice. I know I am very excited about starting. The KYCOM Advantage is so great. I almost did not believe it when I saw it in the Osteopathic Information Book. I have several friends who are medical students or who will start in the fall and could not believe it either. It is a huge plus.

What other school did you get accepted at? I would say go to the interview, it's not going to hurt anything.. And if you get in then decide from there. I went to other interviews after getting accepted at KYCOM just to see what they offered, but kycom hooked me and I turned down the acceptances from those schools.

I know everyone else is saying go for it, but if you have an acceptance for starting this fall I would take it and not spend the money on travel for the interview. Not because KYCOM is bad but because the interview is class of 2016 and it wouldn't be worth the extra year for me.

Oh i wasn't 100% sure the acceptance was for next year. The e-mail made it seem like there was still a possibility for this year's class.

Oh i wasn't 100% sure the acceptance was for next year. The e-mail made it seem like there was still a possibility for this year's class.

The likely course of action is that you will initially be waitlisted due to students holding seats for this entering class, and pulled off later this month or next. The fallback is obvious, you'll have to put all living arrangements on hold for awhile, but if it were me there wouldn't even be hesitation in attending the interview. If you can avoid air travel you'll likely spend <$500 to attend the interview that can later save you over 50K 4 years down the road lol seems like an okay deal.

The class that starts in July is full. The acceptances that are being given out are for the class that starts July 2016 and graduates in 2020. They do not have a traditional wait list. If you are given an acceptance for the class that starts in July 2016, you are accepted and do not have to reapply. Unlike most schools if you are wait listed and then are not offered a spot you would have to reapply in order to secure a spot. They use the 2016 acceptances to fill the class if individuals give up their spot for the class that starts in July 2015. It was indicated that they do see movement end of April/1st of May and in June.

Oh well that kind of changes things. Thanks for the heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could someone post a link to get to the Facebook group?! Having trouble finding it when I search on Facebook. Thanks!

Just a heads up I recommend getting your Hep B titers as soon as possible, I got the vaccination when I was born but my titer came back today negative for antibodies. I was really surprised but I guess its rather common for the immunity to fade. I was worried I wouldn't be able to start but I called the student health office and I guess some people get the titer again after getting the first injection of the three. I got my first injection today and hopefully my next titer will be positive. If it comes up negative again after the first injection she THINKS they will still allow me to attend if I show proof that the immunizations are in progress.

Just a heads up I recommend getting your Hep B titers as soon as possible, I got the vaccination when I was born but my titer came back today negative for antibodies. I was really surprised but I guess its rather common for the immunity to fade. I was worried I wouldn't be able to start but I called the student health office and I guess some people get the titer again after getting the first injection of the three. I got my first injection today and hopefully my next titer will be positive. If it comes up negative again after the first injection she THINKS they will still allow me to attend if I show proof that the immunizations are in progress.
Hey, I had the same issue I called angel a long time ago all worried. Angel told me that as long as we keep her updated on when we get each dose then we are good. We just need to have a positive titer by dec 2015.

Did you get moved up to class of 2019?

Hey, I had the same issue I called angel a long time ago all worried. Angel told me that as long as we keep her updated on when we get each dose then we are good. We just need to have a positive titer by dec 2015.

Did you get moved up to class of 2019?
That makes me feel better at least, but I did not get moved up yet. I actually e-mailed Ronnie Collins last week and he said that no spots have opened up yet. I know some people have talked about dropping their seats so it must just not be official yet. As stated before in this thread, he said they see movement in May/June. As always it's hurry up and wait.

any news on wehther theyve finished interviewing at kycom? i applied late in the cycle with 23 mcat sgpa 3.2 cgpa 3.5, havent heard a word yet.

any news on wehther theyve finished interviewing at kycom? i applied late in the cycle with 23 mcat sgpa 3.2 cgpa 3.5, havent heard a word yet.

I interviewed Friday and they said it was their last *scheduled* interview date. It sounded like they could potentially interview another group if they do so decide. Sorry to be the bearer of such news...

I interviewed Friday and they said it was their last *scheduled* interview date. It sounded like they could potentially interview another group if they do so decide. Sorry to be the bearer of such news...

that's alright, at least I know not to keep my hopes up haha. Hope you succeed in gaining acceptance and thank you for responding!

that's alright, at least I know not to keep my hopes up haha. Hope you succeed in gaining acceptance and thank you for responding!

I really appreciate it. Best of luck! I'm pulling for you, as I have similar stats and had to apply late as well.

To those that interviewed with me Friday, am I correct that the committee is meeting Tuesday? Does anyone know when acceptance calls are supposed to go out?

I really appreciate it. Best of luck! I'm pulling for you, as I have similar stats and had to apply late as well.

To those that interviewed with me Friday, am I correct that the committee is meeting Tuesday? Does anyone know when acceptance calls are supposed to go out?

I know someone else who interviewed and the admission committee met on a Monday. I am not for sure when they met after I interviewed. I got my call on a Tuesday, but I think it probably depends on the Dean's schedule.

Unless some special circumstance happened this time they always meet on Monday. If you don't get a call tomorrow don't fret, the dean calls on his schedule, I didn't get my call till Thursday. :)

Unless some special circumstance happened this time they always meet on Monday. If you don't get a call tomorrow don't fret, the dean calls on his schedule, I didn't get my call till Thursday. :)

Awesome, thanks! Did you get the call before it showed up in your portal?

Awesome, thanks! Did you get the call before it showed up in your portal?
Yeah I did. I had checked the portal Wednesday and there wasn't anything so they may wait to update it after the call.

I know it was said at my interview that they had roughly 4000 applications this year. According to the Osteopathic College Information Book in 2012-2013 they had 2883 applications and they 2013-2014 cycle they had 3187 applications. I know a few years ago it was late before I got my secondary in, and I never heard anything. This year, I had my secondary in by November, and it was late February before I heard about getting an interview. I had my secondary less than 2 weeks, and it took longer than I thought to hear something back. I would say try and get the primary in early and get the secondary done ASAP once you receive the link. If you haven't, I would shadow a DO as much as you can. Best of Luck to you!

I thought they mentioned on Friday at the interview that the committee was meeting Tuesday as well. Has anyone that interviewed friday got a call yet???

Not yet. I'll be sure to post on here when I find something out.

Accepted!!! Just got the call 30 minutes ago. Loved this school, and so happy to be a part of the class starting 2016!!

Last edited:
Were the calls for the incoming class or next years incoming class ?

Hey all,
I'll be applying for this coming cycle and wanted to ask about the secondary. I 've been trying to atleast glance at the secondaries from the schools on my list and KYCOM's SA was along the lines of "why do you want to be a pcp in rural appalachia?", right? Well truth is I have no interest in being a pcp and the latest match list showed 20 matches to gen surg programs and a bunch to em, my two interests (as of now). My question is did you guys just say that you did in the sa (not sure how believable it would seem), or did you talk about wanting to specialize and work in rural areas (closer to what I want)? Thanks!

Hey all,
I'll be applying for this coming cycle and wanted to ask about the secondary. I 've been trying to atleast glance at the secondaries from the schools on my list and KYCOM's SA was along the lines of "why do you want to be a pcp in rural appalachia?", right? Well truth is I have no interest in being a pcp and the latest match list showed 20 matches to gen surg programs and a bunch to em, my two interests (as of now). My question is did you guys just say that you did in the sa (not sure how believable it would seem), or did you talk about wanting to specialize and work in rural areas (closer to what I want)? Thanks!
I wouldn't worry too much about wanting or not wanting to become XYZ specialty at this point. In fact it will prolly be more beneficial for you to be open to anything, but at the same time be able to express what you have enjoyed through shadowing different specialties. At my interview at KYCOM they expressed that they want to support you in what ever specialty you eventually want to go into, even if you are going into ortho specializing in left hands. They know that you are more likely to change your mind about your specialty of choice during medical school. For the secondary just gather together some of your experiences with rural medicine/primary care and write a positive and thoughtful essay expressing that you have an interest in primary/rural medicine backed up by my experiences doing XYZ. There is no need to express what specialty you "really" want to go into for the essay. If asked in your interview what specialty you are most interested in, its good to be honest but always be open to anything in order to gain the most out of any experience.

Hey all,

My advice would be to find schools that closely match with what YOU would like to do. I don't think you would enjoy, or make the most out of your time at a school that emphasizes primary care if you KNOW for a fact that this is not what you want to get into. While you are not specifically tied to doing primary care, the D.O. profession tends to train their students more towards primary care to align with the philosophies that the DO profession stands by.

With that said, when filling out any of your secondaries, be honest, be truthful, see if the schools mission is in tune with what you would like out of your medical education. Many times, people go into medical school thinking they want to be a surgeon (for example) and come doing something completely different. So, when filling out the secondary specifically for KYCOM, i would say that try to keep an open mind. And whatever you do, dont say that you have "no interest" in primary care cause you might disqualify yourself from jump. Im not suggesting to lie on your secondary. Im only suggesting that you keep an open mind, especially if KYCOM is truly a school you are interested in attending.

FYI, during my interview, they asked me what kind of doctor i wanted to be. I told them that i want to be an Orthopedic Surgeon and they were totally ok with that. they then told me about how students typically change their minds all the time cause they find new interests in different specialties. hope this helps!

I also interviewed on Friday and received a e-mail saying I was not admitted to class starting July 2015. Did anyone else get this ? Thats all my e-mail said. It didn't mention class starting july, 2016. I don't know whether to re-apply or if that means there is no use. I am in-state with 25 mcat and 3.5 science gpa but will not graduate until June. Would appreciate any help .

I also interviewed on Friday and received a e-mail saying I was not admitted to class starting July 2015. Did anyone else get this ? Thats all my e-mail said. It didn't mention class starting july, 2016. I don't know whether to re-apply or if that means there is no use. I am in-state with 25 mcat and 3.5 science gpa but will not graduate until June. Would appreciate any help .
I would ask them what the weaknesses were in your application so you can work on improvement and reapply.

Those that were accepted during the last interview, does your portal show accepted? I was told that I'd be receiving a letter/packet via US mail, but have received no email or anything else concerning my acceptance..... Has anybody received anything yet? This is my only acceptance, so I'm anxious!

The filled this years back in early March.

Late February is when they started. It still amazes me that some schools in this cycle have already filled their classes by February. This was not the case last year for those same schools.

Those that were accepted during the last interview, does your portal show accepted? I was told that I'd be receiving a letter/packet via US mail, but have received no email or anything else concerning my acceptance..... Has anybody received anything yet? This is my only acceptance, so I'm anxious!

From when I got the call, it took about a week for me to get the letter in the mail. My portal had a tab for my acceptance within 2 days of getting the call. I had about 9 days from getting the letter in the mail to when the deposit was due.

From when I got the call, it took about a week for me to get the letter in the mail. My portal had a tab for my acceptance within 2 days of getting the call. I had about 9 days from getting the letter in the mail to when the deposit was due.

Sooo, I assume that the letter came with a specific date the money was due?

Sooo, I assume that the letter came with a specific date the money was due?

If you have the tab in your portal, you should be able to pay it. I waited for the letter because I was hoping to pay by check. The letter did not say that was an option. There is a 27 service fee.

I got the letter on a Monday. So maybe you will get it today. My deposit was due 15 days after I got the phone call, but the date probably depends when all the phone calls are complete and when they get the letters mailed out.

After submitting the most expensive secondary of the cycle to this school in October, I haven't heard a peep from them.

Ohhhhhh! Take the money and run
:whistle:

Freaking out a little bit because I don't have Hep B immunity. It says I must have all immunity by May 15, but even if I restarted the Hep B series the day I got my acceptance I wouldn't have completed it till August. . .

Freaking out a little bit because I don't have Hep B immunity. It says I must have all immunity by May 15, but even if I restarted the Hep B series the day I got my acceptance I wouldn't have completed it till August. . .
Call them and let them know I'm sure they'll be okay with it