University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know anything about housing? I tried looking up apartments, but nothing shows up. I've heard of Hensley apts. and a few others, but can't find them online. I'm sure more will pop up once the FB page gets started, but it's worth a shot now.

The student who did my tour said that most of the landlords do not post on the internet. She said that there will be a list distributed as part of the matriculation package and information posted in the FB group when it is established.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The student who did my tour said that most of the landlords do not post on the internet. She said that there will be a list distributed as part of the matriculation package and information posted in the FB group when it is established.

Yea, I second that. They also recommended contacting some of the second years as many will be leaving for their clinical rotations when class of 2019 is matriculating.

Reactions: 1 user
It just says the AdCom has made a decision, and I'll be notified via mail in 30 days. Interviewed Sep. 26th. I'm surprised you haven't heard yet, especially since you interviewed in August.

Ah, yes it says the same thing on my portal too. My status just changed last thursday...so I am hoping to receive that letter anytime this week now. Yea I am surprised I that I haven't heard back from them yet...especially because I opted for early decision. I remember during the interview they said if you opt for early decision you will be notified by Sept 30th. It's way past Sept 30th lol. Many people on SDN who interviewed on the same day as me or even after me already heard back..! I just hope it's not bad news. Well even if I don't get in, I am not worried. I would be more than happy to go to KYCOM, loved the campus when I visited it. Good luck on your decision, hope you hear back from them soon. :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an ii!! :) What were some of the questions asked during yall's interviews?

I've been following this thread since day one. My MCAT score came a bit late, so I submitted my application in early August. As mine got verified on September 24th, I submitted mine to KYCOM. It has been over two weeks, but I have not heard anything from the Adcom. Was I supposed to receive a confirmation email for my primary by now?!

Thank you all for your time and assistance!

They really asked the typical questions. Why DO, why KYCOM, and what field of medicine intrigues you the most. If you have weaknesses be prepared to discuss them, otherwise it's a straightforward process with no questions from left field. Just be confident yet humble.

I've been following this thread since day one. My MCAT score came a bit late, so I submitted my application in early August. As mine got verified on September 24th, I submitted mine to KYCOM. It has been over two weeks, but I have not heard anything from the Adcom. Was I supposed to receive a confirmation email for my primary by now?!

They're probably backed up a lot at this point in the cycle. If you don't get a confirmation in a week I'd call them.

I would give it another week or two. They are probably getting plenty of applications at this point of the year, so just give them some more time before calling them.

The questions that I was asked were: 1) Tell me about yourself. 2) You said you parents were physicians, were they osteopathic physicians? 3) Have you shadowed osteopathic physicians? 4) What did you learn/what do you know about osteopathic medicine? 5) Do you have any questions? 6) Are you single?

Mine mostly involved questions regarding my clinical experience and osteopathic/rural medicine. I would suggest being prepared to discuss anything on your application and be humble. Good luck!

Still waiting here, Ive been complete since the last week of September, I hope to hear some good news here... OOS FL to be exact.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting here, Ive been complete since the last week of September, I hope to hear some good news here... OOS FL to be exact.
You can always give them a call. I made a quick phone call to a school yesterday and found out I was about to be given an interview. Sometimes calling can get the ball rolling.

I'm sure you'll be fine. As long as you show a compassionate side and an understanding of what medicine is, you'll be fine.

You can always give them a call. I made a quick phone call to a school yesterday and found out I was about to be given an interview. Sometimes calling can get the ball rolling.
When you called them, did they pick up or did you have to leave a message? I tried several times yesterday but keeps on going to voicemail and I don't trust voicemails to medical schools anymore.

Posted using SDN Mobile

This was at a different school. I received my II via e-mail. Try calling/e-mailing Ronnie Collins.

Did it take really long for the letters of recommendation to show up on the portal? Its been about a week for me already. I'm wondering if thats normal or should I contact the school and see if they received them or not. I sent them via interfolio.

Did it take really long for the letters of recommendation to show up on the portal? Its been about a week for me already. I'm wondering if thats normal or should I contact the school and see if they received them or not. I sent them via interfolio.

It took 3 or 4 days for mine in early August, but they were sent via snail mail a little bit ahead of my secondary submission.

Guys got a 11/6/9 3.35cgpa and 3.45sgpa. Do you think I should retake and call and tell the school. It's one of my top choices.

My stats:
sGPA: 3.14
cGPA: 3.35
Mcat (1st attempt): 27 (10, 6, 11)
Mcat (2nd attempt): 28 (12, 5, 11)

We have very similar stats if you account for both GPA and MCAT. I got in, and I think you can too. They are looking for people that will help make their mission come true -- that is enhancing the health care in the rural towns of our country. If you especially have any experience working in a medically under served place, that will be a huge asset! Good luck.

Oh, to answer your question - I wouldn't retake the mcat and risk scoring lower. Especially with the new mcat on the cusp the rumor has it that they are making the test harder and harder (especially the verbal section -- making it longer these days supposedly).

My stats:
sGPA: 3.14
cGPA: 3.35
Mcat (1st attempt): 27 (10, 6, 11)
Mcat (2nd attempt): 28 (12, 5, 11)

We have very similar stats if you account for both GPA and MCAT. I got in, and I think you can too. They are looking for people that will help make their mission come true -- that is enhancing the health care in the rural towns of our country. If you especially have any experience working in a medically under served place, that will be a huge asset! Good luck.

Oh, to answer your question - I wouldn't retake the mcat and risk scoring lower. Especially with the new mcat on the cusp the rumor has it that they are making the test harder and harder (especially the verbal section -- making it longer these days supposedly).
I'm going to the library today to re study. Took all the aamc exams already and really can't afford tbr exams. Any advice. And I will be writing Pikeville secondary today.

Trust me I really don't want to take it again. But I am from Chicago. The reason I want to go into family practice in a rural area is because I like the rural areas. After spending time getting my undergrad at SIU and having my kids born there. That's the considerate and kind type of culture I want them to grow up in. I also love the close knit community structure. But I am not sure if that is good enough for kycom. I did volunteer there in that community for 100 hours and shadowed 300 in Carbondale which is considered rural.

Thank you for your advice and kind words.

It took 3 or 4 days for mine in early August, but they were sent via snail mail a little bit ahead of my secondary submission.
Ive been trying to reach someone at the school to talk to, but every time I call it goes straight to voicemail. Ive left messages and I have also emailed them a few times. No response...not sure what to do at this point.

I'm going to the library today to re study. Took all the aamc exams already and really can't afford tbr exams. Any advice. And I will be writing Pikeville secondary today.

Trust me I really don't want to take it again. But I am from Chicago. The reason I want to go into family practice in a rural area is because I like the rural areas. After spending time getting my undergrad at SIU and having my kids born there. That's the considerate and kind type of culture I want them to grow up in. I also love the close knit community structure. But I am not sure if that is good enough for kycom. I did volunteer there in that community for 100 hours and shadowed 300 in Carbondale which is considered rural.

If you've volunteered in that community, that should show empathy and commitment to that region. Being from Chicago shouldn't hurt you. I'm from NY, and just had to answer the basic, "why KYCOM" question. However, like you, I spent a significant amount of time volunteering in rural areas.

Got accepted today!!!! They called right after noon. I'm so excited. I've had my eye on KyCOM for a few years. ^_^

Reactions: 4 users
Guys I have a quick question, Is it ok to talk about a patient in my supplemental application for why rural primary care? or just what I realized because of them? Basically shoudl i tell them what it was that they did that made me...

Well if you are doing well on your practice exams, then go ahead. I have noticed that aamc 10 and 11 are the ones that resemble that actual mcat the most. So if you did 2-3 points higher on them and feel pretty good about it, I guess I would retake it. Also remember, if you have taken these tests in the past, and you are just retaking the same practice tests, your score might be biased. But regardless though, good luck and I hope it goes well for you!! :)

All that experience in rural town will be a huge asset. Make sure to emphasize on that. Though they take people from other areas, (I am from Maryland), they love to see people who have showed interest within their region. Ultimately they don't care where one from, they want you to work in the Appalachian region. So if you have already showed an active interest by shadowing and volunteering there, your interest in the area speaks for itself! Good luck with everything!! :)

Guys I have a quick question, Is it ok to talk about a patient in my supplemental application for why rural primary care? or just what I realized because of them? Basically shoudl i tell them what it was that they did that made me...

I think it's totally okay to talk about a specific experience in your supplement for why rural primary as long as you tie it in really well and answer the question -- why RURAL primary care?. Stories are always nice to read, it makes it fun for the reader who is spending so much time reading all these essays. Keep the stories short though. I'd also recommend highlighting some problems in health care regarding primary care and how DO plays a role in addressing that issue perhaps.

The one suggestion I would give is that though, do not disclose the patient's name. On my essays, I just put down the patient's initials. I would say something like "TJ was a 56 y/0 male who was diagnosed with etc". :)

Last edited:
This question is regarded to the portal but I have submitted everything and I have a green check by everything except the one that says application complete? I had emailed the school before I noticed this and they said that my application was ready to be screened/reviewed for. Should I still make sure?

I applied last year and have been accepted for class of 2019 instead of 2018. Will there be a facebook group soon? I know it's a little early, but I want to get some info about housing there

This question is regarded to the portal but I have submitted everything and I have a green check by everything except the one that says application complete? I had emailed the school before I noticed this and they said that my application was ready to be screened/reviewed for. Should I still make sure?

I would give then a week or two and then recheck with them.

I applied last year and have been accepted for class of 2019 instead of 2018. Will there be a facebook group soon? I know it's a little early, but I want to get some info about housing there

I was thinking about this too. Does anyone want to coordinate and start a Facebook page? I am down, pm me if anyone is interested.

Someone please chance me, I just submitted my secondary here (because I've only received one II so far this cycle, and I thought I would have more by now :/ )

3.37 cGPA, 3.26sGPA, 28 MCAT (10PS, 7VR, 11BS) OOS - Northeast

Decent ECs I would say: ~2 years of research experience in clinical psychology but do not have any publications. Shadowed/volunteered in an Emergency Department of a Level 1 Trauma Center. I taught physiology as a tutor for a year at my university's learning center. I have shadowed a DO and numerous MDs. I have also volunteered abroad in a rural clinic. Also shadowed a rural MD for a few days this past summer (post-submitting my primary app), don't have a LOR from that experience, tho I do mention it in the KYCOM secondary essay.

Also, tho I didn't mention it in my application, I'm currently enrolled in a SMP. I don't know if that helps or not.

Hope I didn't waste ~80$ on this secondary...

Thank you in advanced!!

Someone please chance me, I just submitted my secondary here (because I've only received one II so far this cycle, and I thought I would have more by now :/ )

3.37 cGPA, 3.26sGPA, 28 MCAT (10PS, 7VR, 11BS) OOS - Northeast

Decent ECs I would say: ~2 years of research experience in clinical psychology but do not have any publications. Shadowed/volunteered in an Emergency Department of a Level 1 Trauma Center. I taught physiology as a tutor for a year at my university's learning center. I have shadowed a DO and numerous MDs. I have also volunteered abroad in a rural clinic. Also shadowed a rural MD for a few days this past summer (post-submitting my primary app), don't have a LOR from that experience, tho I do mention it in the KYCOM secondary essay.

Also, tho I didn't mention it in my application, I'm currently enrolled in a SMP. I don't know if that helps or not.

Hope I didn't waste ~80$ on this secondary...

Thank you in advanced!!

I think you have a really good shot. I had lower stats than you did and I was accepted. I will PM you the details.

Last edited:
In.

Heading down to KY and TN next weekend to narrow it down a bit between KYCOM+ LMU-DCOM.

Hey ill be bBe in pikeville next weekend as well. My wife and I are driving down there for the weekend to check out some apts and to check out the city. If you'll be in town let me know it would be cool to meet up with a potential classmate. PM me if you want.

Hey ill be bBe in pikeville next weekend as well. My wife and I are driving down there for the weekend to check out some apts and to check out the city. If you'll be in town let me know it would be cool to meet up with a potential classmate. PM me if you want.

I think I met you on the interview day on sept 19th lol. Were you are the hotel prepping for your interview and your wife was there too and we started talking? Or was it someone else?

I think I met you on the interview day on sept 19th lol. Were you are the hotel prepping for your interview and your wife was there too and we started talking? Or was it someone else?

Must have been someone else. I interviewed in April of last cyclen However, I DID get on the facebook page. So feel free to see who I am. (Im assuming you are one of the two administrators)

Got in ii today from KYCOM!!! So happy right now. Can anyone give me advice on how to do well on interview?

Must have been someone else. I interviewed in April of last cyclen However, I DID get on the facebook page. So feel free to see who I am. (Im assuming you are one of the two administrators)

Ah gotcha, awks lol, jk. But yea I am one of the admins, I'll find ya on there :). It's nice meeting potential classmates!

Got in ii today from KYCOM!!! So happy right now. Can anyone give me advice on how to do well on interview?

Congrats!!! :). Make sure you follow the usual rituals -- eye contact, firm hand shake, smile, remember their names, don't stutter too much, exude confidence etc. Practice -- do mock interviews with different people! Bring your A game, show them your charm and personality! Have certain phrases and even some (not all) answers memorized - it can come in handy. Definitely know your application thoroughly and be ready to answer/defend anything they might shoot at you from your application. To me it seemed they were asking usual expected questions, nothing hard pressed. It was actually a good conversation, I learned a lot about the place during my interview. It seemed like they just wanted to know if my personality reflected what was on the paper. Isn't that the essence of most interviews anyway? :). Good luck! :).

I have another question regards to interview.

I am aware that during interview, there's going to be one-on-one interview with two faculty members (which lasts around 30 minutes).
So when interviewing, does each faculty member ask different set of questions?
And since interviews are one-on-one... is it going to be just one faculty member and myself in the room? or both faculty members and myself? (sorry if it's a dumb question but just wanted to make sure)

Also, is there anyone interviewing on 11/14?