University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm getting a tad worried. I only ever received the payment confirmation email and my portal still shows LOR have not been received. I've called and emailed multiple times (with no response for any of them). Seems like everyone is at least getting a confirmation email...

Mine updated about a day after I submitted mine. Did you tell Interfolio to attach your AACOMAS ID to the packet?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine updated about a day after I submitted mine. Did you tell Interfolio to attach your AACOMAS ID to the packet?
Yea, I attached the AACOMAS ID both times to my letter packets. It's just frustrating when admissions won't reply back.

Arriving late to the party, but hopefully there's some room. Submitted secondary today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey this question is for any of you 1st or 2nd years that visit this thread. can someone please talk a little bit about the orientation week and what it all entails and what it was like. was it all day every day? was it a couple of hours per day for that week? what all do you learn during orientation week? im sure its a time to register, meet your new classmates, and sign up for potential clubs, but if there is anything else that goes with it. it would be interesting to know. thanks!

I think it went well! Hopefully I hear good news soon. I loved the school and the people there. How about yourself @willisca ? I had Dr.Hillwig and Dr. Shaffer.

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you guys know I will be withdrawing my acceptance from KYCOM, good luck to the rest of you guys

Hey this question is for any of you 1st or 2nd years that visit this thread. can someone please talk a little bit about the orientation week and what it all entails and what it was like. was it all day every day? was it a couple of hours per day for that week? what all do you learn during orientation week? im sure its a time to register, meet your new classmates, and sign up for potential clubs, but if there is anything else that goes with it. it would be interesting to know. thanks!
Hey there! Current first year here. Orientation week was pretty much front-loaded. So, we had longer days towards the beginning of the week, and shorter days towards the end. We had breakfast the first day, everyone went around and introduced themselves, we had lunch, they did some introduction of the faculty and such. Second day we had a history of osteopathic medicine, curriculum overview and exam protocol, presentation of strategies for medical school success, computer skills and then we got our iPads and laptops. Third day we talked about medial professionalism, student honor code and student ethics council, and an overview of our student handbook. Fourth day we met the student government association officers and then had a "fashion show" on what was appropriate per the dress code. Then we got our books, OMT table, and equipment. The fifth day was just drug testing and a lunch with our "big sib." The last day was completely optional and consisted of a community service event and a picnic. There were also planned activities each night, like bowling and dinners at local restaurants that a good number of people went to. It was pretty standard for what you would expect from an orientation, and most days we were done with required activities by 3. All that being said, you have a long ways between now and your orientation, and things will probably change around a bit! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Hey there! Current first year here. Orientation week was pretty much front-loaded. So, we had longer days towards the beginning of the week, and shorter days towards the end. We had breakfast the first day, everyone went around and introduced themselves, we had lunch, they did some introduction of the faculty and such. Second day we had a history of osteopathic medicine, curriculum overview and exam protocol, presentation of strategies for medical school success, computer skills and then we got our iPads and laptops. Third day we talked about medial professionalism, student honor code and student ethics council, and an overview of our student handbook. Fourth day we met the student government association officers and then had a "fashion show" on what was appropriate per the dress code. Then we got our books, OMT table, and equipment. The fifth day was just drug testing and a lunch with our "big sib." The last day was completely optional and consisted of a community service event and a picnic. There were also planned activities each night, like bowling and dinners at local restaurants that a good number of people went to. It was pretty standard for what you would expect from an orientation, and most days we were done with required activities by 3. All that being said, you have a long ways between now and your orientation, and things will probably change around a bit! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me!

Hey thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the thorough break down. Im so excited and cant wait to become part of KYCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what percentage of people interviewed are accepted?

Does anyone know what percentage of people interviewed are accepted?
I believe they interview September to April, there is two interview days per month of 25 students.
so that's 400 interviews for I believe 125 seats. So around 30% im thinking.

I believe they interview September to April, there is two interview days per month of 25 students.
so that's 400 interviews for I believe 125 seats. So around 30% im thinking.
That's the rate of matriculation for those interviewed. The typical school accepts 1.5-2x the class size. That puts the accepted rate at roughly 50% for 200 students accepted. However, I'm pretty sure it's higher than that.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Walking out, I felt it went pretty well. As the days go by, though, I of course become more critical of myself and increasingly anxious. I guess that's normal, though. I felt like I rambled some, but caught myself doing it. I also am worried that my interviewers (Dr. Laurich and Dr. Crum) may have felt like some of my responses were almost too much what the school was looking for and therefore may not have been taken as sincere. The truth is that I really do want to practice primary care medicine in a rural area, though! I need to just stop overthinking it..I know :)!
Anyway, I'm currently in Mexico for a missions trip until Saturday. Hopefully their decisions will come early in the week so I can better focus on what I'm here for.
Update once you know something! The dean said Tuesday or Wednesday. Let's pray we receive calls on Tuesday!

Walking out, I felt it went pretty well. As the days go by, though, I of course become more critical of myself and increasingly anxious. I guess that's normal, though. I felt like I rambled some, but caught myself doing it. I also am worried that my interviewers (Dr. Laurich and Dr. Crum) may have felt like some of my responses were almost too much what the school was looking for and therefore may not have been taken as sincere. The truth is that I really do want to practice primary care medicine in a rural area, though! I need to just stop overthinking it..I know :)!
Anyway, I'm currently in Mexico for a missions trip until Saturday. Hopefully their decisions will come early in the week so I can better focus on what I'm here for.
Update once you know something! The dean said Tuesday or Wednesday. Let's pray we receive calls on Tuesday!
Ha yes ! lets hope for good news. I felt mine went well back again over thinking after words I may have messed up a question or two. Mine was very casual. We were all smiling and laughing a majority of the time. I sent a thank you email to them as a token of gratitude and just common curiosity.

@Dr.Jekyll75 @willisca I interviewed with you guys on friday too! I also felt like it went really well :nailbiting:. Wishing the best for everyone! I'll update whenever I hear something.

Reactions: 1 users
How many people were there for the Friday interview?

There was about 25. And there should be 25 on Saturday

Does anyone know if we are placed on hold or rejected, will that just be posted to the online portal or will we get an email?

Just Got the call. Im hyped !

Just got the call!! Accepted!!!!!

Got the call around 5:30!! Cant wait to be at KYCOM! Congrats to all accepted!

I missed a call from pikeville,ky about an hr. ago so I wonder if that was the call?
*fingers crossed*

Accepted also!! Congrats everyone :soexcited:

Reactions: 2 users
Someone is gonna get my spot. Declining the offer. It's a bittersweet moment since KYCOM was my first acceptance. I was thrilled beyond belief (may, or may not have shed a few manly tears onto my most manly of beards), and I hope the acceptance goes to someone deserving.

I too will be declining my acceptance. Much like @diesel2101 it was my first acceptance and it is indeed bittersweet. I really enjoyed my visit to Pikeville and interview day at KYCOM. Best of luck to everyone!

Decided on DCOM. although I loved the small town feel of Pikeville, dcom's proximity to Knoxville and job opportunities will make it easier on my girlfriend. It was between KYCOM, DCOM, and LECOM, but I honestly didn't like anything about LECOM.

Where you off to?

I had to make a tough decision between KYCOM, UNECOM, and ATSU-KCOM. I really liked each school. After weighing the pro's and con's of each ATSU-KCOM was my choice.

Side note, are you going call and decline or just let the Dec. 14 date lapse?

Do they only make calls one day a week or do they continue through the week?

For those who got the call, what day and section were you?

Friday section B and they make calls tomorrow too.

Ok cool, hopefully I hear something because I was Saturday C.

If you guys don't mind answering. What were your GPA, MCAT, and extra currics?

Could any current students possible comment on this... Are grades pass/fail? What is the average day of class like? How do block exams work? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Could any current students possible comment on this... Are grades pass/fail? What is the average day of class like? How do block exams work? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I spoke with a med student on interview day and basically what she told me was that block exams were every six weeks and they were comprehensive, over the basic science courses you take during that particular block.
The exams have a certain number of questions from each class, and your percentage of q's that you get right from each section go towards your percentage for that particular class (so if there are only 12 q's from biochemistry for example, if you get one wrong it weighs a lot more.. so u have to have everything down cold).
She said the block system was in effect to prepare you for boards.
Ii don't remember if she said that the percentages from each section of the exam were added together or averaged to give you a final percentage but I'm pretty sure it is a pass/fail system.
If any med students could correct me if I'm wrong/offer clarification that'd be great.

Last edited:
If you guys don't mind answering. What were your GPA, MCAT, and extra currics?
Friday section A. My call didn't come until around 6, though. On interview day I specifically asked if our application was considered in the final decision. The dean replied that if invited to an interview, only the interview is considered in the final decision. So, if you interviewed, your gpa and mcat etc. isn't what they're basing their decision on. They based their decision to interview you on those criteria.

Friday section A. My call didn't come until around 6, though. On interview day I specifically asked if our application was considered in the final decision. The dean replied that if invited to an interview, only the interview is considered in the final decision. So, if you interviewed, your gpa and mcat etc. isn't what they're basing their decision on. They based their decision to interview you on those criteria.

I didn't know that. Thats cool that they do that. Anyway, regardless if I get accepted or not. I wish all of you who did get accepted good luck!

I just got the call from Dr. Buser. I AM OFFICIALLY ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feels so good, I can't wait to start at this school! :soexcited:
I'm so excited I feel like I'm going to :boom:

Reactions: 5 users
Just got the call as well- this time I actually answered!!
Accepted!!!:highfive:
Thank God.

So excited about this school!!!! Congrats to everyone accepted!!

Hey guys! Current first year here. Grades are not P/F, but are done on a percentage system - below 70% is considered to be failing. Most of the classes use the typical 90,80,70 grading system. We have one class that meets roughly once a week on Fridays, and is based on attendance; that is the only P/F class we have.

The block system was pretty confusing to me until I got here, but it's pretty cool. We have about 4 weeks of material, and then test over those 4 weeks all at once. All of the teachers submit their test questions, and all of the questions are compiled in to one massive test. The test is 4 hours long, and is usually around 205 questions, give or take a few. The questions come randomly, meaning you can get 3 biochem questions in a row, then one anatomy, then 2 cell, etc. It's random, and everyone's is different. Tests are taken on the iPads.

After the test, all questions are taken graded by class. So you don't get one "block grade", but you get one grade for each class every block. 1 semester = 4 blocks = about 4 months. First year, all of the classes are 1 semester long. So right now we are finishing up our first semester which is anatomy, biochem, cell, POM 1, OPC 1. After next week, we are completely done with those classes. Next semester we will have neurology, immunology, OPC2, POM2. All of those will also last 1 semester.

The schedule is random. Some days we have Anatomy at a certain time, and other days we will have biochem at that time. I like it a lot; keeps it interesting (as interesting as it can be lol). Monday's we are in class until around 2 pm. Tuesdays/Thursdays we have 3 hour anatomy lab and are then in class until around 2-3 pm. Wednesdays we have POM lab, so we are in class until 5 pm. Fridays are half days (the first semester, anyway).

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey guys! Current first year here. Grades are not P/F, but are done on a percentage system - below 70% is considered to be failing. Most of the classes use the typical 90,80,70 grading system. We have one class that meets roughly once a week on Fridays, and is based on attendance; that is the only P/F class we have.

The block system was pretty confusing to me until I got here, but it's pretty cool. We have about 4 weeks of material, and then test over those 4 weeks all at once. All of the teachers submit their test questions, and all of the questions are compiled in to one massive test. The test is 4 hours long, and is usually around 205 questions, give or take a few. The questions come randomly, meaning you can get 3 biochem questions in a row, then one anatomy, then 2 cell, etc. It's random, and everyone's is different. Tests are taken on the iPads.

After the test, all questions are taken graded by class. So you don't get one "block grade", but you get one grade for each class every block. 1 semester = 4 blocks = about 4 months. First year, all of the classes are 1 semester long. So right now we are finishing up our first semester which is anatomy, biochem, cell, POM 1, OPC 1. After next week, we are completely done with those classes. Next semester we will have neurology, immunology, OPC2, POM2. All of those will also last 1 semester.

The schedule is random. Some days we have Anatomy at a certain time, and other days we will have biochem at that time. I like it a lot; keeps it interesting (as interesting as it can be lol). Monday's we are in class until around 2 pm. Tuesdays/Thursdays we have 3 hour anatomy lab and are then in class until around 2-3 pm. Wednesdays we have POM lab, so we are in class until 5 pm. Fridays are half days (the first semester, anyway).

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Hey! I have been trying to find some housing options .. and was wondering if you know anything about Anthony Apartment (through Hensley development).

Thanks!