University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who decided to attend KYCOM (paid deposit).. are we supposed to get some kind of admission package? If so, how long did it take to get them? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For those accepted.. Does your online portal update to "accepted" or anything like that? Nothing has changed on my portal even though I received the call from Dr. Buser.. Do we accept the offer through our portal when it is updated? Thanks

For those accepted.. Does your online portal update to "accepted" or anything like that? Nothing has changed on my portal even though I received the call from Dr. Buser.. Do we accept the offer through our portal when it is updated? Thanks

yes. It should be up in couple days or sometime next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys think its to late to submit the secondary. I applied late because me and my wife just had a kid and took the mcat late. Here are some stats EC. Let me know what you think.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.52
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC
Served a two you volunteer mission for my church
Worked as an EMT in an emergency department full time since last August.
Done research and our research was published. (Organic Chem)
Started a Pre med club and ran a blood drive at my school.
Random volunteering and leadership with my church.
Volunteered at Cancer society
Over thirty hours shadowing.
Some other random things.

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.
Also, I just took 4 level physiology class (B+) , 4 level neuroscience (A-), Human structure and function class (B+), ecology (A-) and was working full time at the hospital during the semester.

Do you guys think its to late to submit the secondary. I applied late because me and my wife just had a kid and took the mcat late. Here are some stats EC. Let me know what you think.

GPA 3.71
sGPA 3.52
MCAT 24 ( 8/8/8)

EC
Served a two you volunteer mission for my church
Worked as an EMT in an emergency department full time since last August.
Done research and our research was published. (Organic Chem)
Started a Pre med club and ran a blood drive at my school.
Random volunteering and leadership with my church.
Volunteered at Cancer society
Over thirty hours shadowing.
Some other random things.

Let me know, I know I have some weak points , MCAT, but was working full time and summer school and a new baby. Was a crazy time. Thanks for the heads head.
Also, I just took 4 level physiology class (B+) , 4 level neuroscience (A-), Human structure and function class (B+), ecology (A-) and was working full time at the hospital during the semester.

I did not apply until the end of January I believe . interviewed early feb. Go for it!

Hey! I have been trying to find some housing options .. and was wondering if you know anything about Anthony Apartment (through Hensley development).

Thanks!

No I don't - Sorry. Once you join the Facebook group, you will see tons of housing options being added - that's how most of us found our places, I think. I was really stressed about housing because I was told it was limited, but there were more than plenty of options, and I started late in the game, so no worries.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed Friday, and didn't receive a call the past two days, so I assume it's a rejection. A friend of mine also hasn't heard anything. I feel like we're the only ones who interviewed who didn't get a call. It would be nice to know if I'm rejected or on hold, as the interviewers were curious about my GPA for the current semester.
Anyone else out there who got a rejection/hold have any insight to when we'll hear?

No I don't - Sorry. Once you join the Facebook group, you will see tons of housing options being added - that's how most of us found our places, I think. I was really stressed about housing because I was told it was limited, but there were more than plenty of options, and I started late in the game, so no worries.

What Facebook group? Will we get a link sent to us when we confirm our spots?

I interviewed Friday, and didn't receive a call the past two days, so I assume it's a rejection. A friend of mine also hasn't heard anything. I feel like we're the only ones who interviewed who didn't get a call. It would be nice to know if I'm rejected or on hold, as the interviewers were curious about my GPA for the current semester.
Anyone else out there who got a rejection/hold have any insight to when we'll hear?

I think they continue to call people today too. If you don't hear anything today you can contact Ronnie Collins, I remember them saying they tell you your weaknesses in your application if you're not accepted. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)

I specifically started an account to reply to you @samac :)
I'm in the same situation. Interviewed friday too, havent heard anything. I emailed Mr. Collins yesterday evening and he said calls were still going out today. I love how every component of this process is excruciating ...

You can search kycom 2019

Do you have the breakdown of the tuition? I searched on the website but I only found annual tuition. I would like to see what's included in the tuition.

Do you have the breakdown of the tuition? I searched on the website but I only found annual tuition. I would like to see what's included in the tuition.

You can contact Mrs. Teresa Jones regarding any tuition questions. I don't want to give you any incorrect information. Generally speaking, for our class, tuition included all required books (e-book form for most. You get an anatomy atlas and a POM review book in hard copy), POM table, all diagnostic equipment, white coat (you have to pay 20 for the embroidery), one pair of scrubs, a board review course of some type (i think it is one given by the school...but I don't know), your first attempt at COMLEX, iPad, laptop, hard drive

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, but those were some things included. Like I said though, Mrs Jones is the person to contact. She is very helpful and always answered my emails quickly.

You can contact Mrs. Teresa Jones regarding any tuition questions. I don't want to give you any incorrect information. Generally speaking, for our class, tuition included all required books (e-book form for most. You get an anatomy atlas and a POM review book in hard copy), POM table, all diagnostic equipment, white coat (you have to pay 20 for the embroidery), one pair of scrubs, a board review course of some type (i think it is one given by the school...but I don't know), your first attempt at COMLEX, iPad, laptop, hard drive

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out, but those were some things included. Like I said though, Mrs Jones is the person to contact. She is very helpful and always answered my emails quickly.

What kind of laptop do we get? I'm just curious

What kind of laptop do we get? I'm just curious

We got a dell latitude E5440

I had a dell all through college and it was rock solid. Loved it. I'm totally not one to complain usually, but the ones we got are horrid. I've had issues with it since day 1. Our tech support is great though, and they are certified dell techs so they can fix the stuff on the spot.

My advice....if you have a laptop now, keep it.

I had a dell all through college and it was rock solid. Loved it. I'm totally not one to complain usually, but the ones we got are horrid. I've had issues with it since day 1. Our tech support is great though, and they are certified dell techs so they can fix the stuff on the spot.

Oh ok. Does the laptop have some type of special program installed?

I specifically started an account to reply to you @samac :)
I'm in the same situation. Interviewed friday too, havent heard anything. I emailed Mr. Collins yesterday evening and he said calls were still going out today. I love how every component of this process is excruciating ...
I was section C.
It is killer, if I'm rejected I just want the letter so I can stop holding onto hope lol
Let me know if you hear anything!

Last edited:
I was section C as well, Friday. I will share any news. Keep me updated, too! :)

Are we obligated to use it? Can we give it to family member for them to use? Could you comment on the curriculum and how hard it is for everyone? Are students spending fifteen hours a day studying and still struggling or is it doable with a good amount of effort?

Are we obligated to use it? Can we give it to family member for them to use? Could you comment on the curriculum and how hard it is for everyone? Are students spending fifteen hours a day studying and still struggling or is it doable with a good amount of effort?

Nope. A lot of the people don't use it, or end up selling it. I will send you a private message regarding the other half of your question :)

For all of you accepted, add yourselves to the Facebook group. Simply search KYCOM Class of 2019!

Hey guys, just to let you know they out me on hold. They wanted to make sure I don't get anymore C's in my senior year.
I don't think I'm likely to get in considering they don't consider us until June, but it's better tha nothing.

Hey guys, just to let you know they out me on hold. They wanted to make sure I don't get anymore C's in my senior year.
I don't think I'm likely to get in considering they don't consider us until June, but it's better tha nothing.

Did you get an e-mail or a portal status change, or did you call to get this information? I am just wondering because I haven't heard anything from them in over a month.

Did you get an e-mail or a portal status change, or did you call to get this information? I am just wondering because I haven't heard anything from them in over a month.
It was an email sent to me one week after the interview
Did you have an interview? Or just not heard from them?
I received an interview in less than 2 weeks after my secondary.

Hey, don't give up. Just work hard in school and prove to KYCOM that you deserve a spot.

When I applied I didn't get an interview until a month after I submitted my secondary and I was thinking they weren't interested. Don't get depressed that you are on hold, its definitely better than getting rejected. And it shows that the school is interested in you!

Good luck!

Is the portal due date accurate? I was just accepted on tuesday and the portal was just updated today saying the due date for the 1,000 is Dec 14th?

Is the portal due date accurate? I was just accepted on tuesday and the portal was just updated today saying the due date for the 1,000 is Dec 14th?
Yup same for me

I have a few other interviews lined up with more established schools and was not going to, but after thinking about it 1k is not that much in the larger scheme of things, so i did put a deposit down. Plus i really liked the school and everything about it. I would \be more than happy to attend. Im still waiting on my top choice to get back to me though. I say better safe than sorry.

Is that real? Seems like really short notice. Did you pay? Im still waiting to hear from another school that I interviewed at :(
Yeah that's always the due date for those who interview in this year. It's the same for DCOM.

Yeah that's always the due date for those who interview in this year. It's the same for DCOM.
Other schools say that if you are after November 15th you will have 30 days. That way you have 30 days to make your decision. I love this school so I will just end up paying it, rather be safe than sorry.

I have a few other interviews lined up with more established schools and was not going to, but after thinking about it 1k is not that much in the larger scheme of things, so i did put a deposit down. Plus i really liked the school and everything about it. I would \be more than happy to attend. Im still waiting on my top choice to get back to me though. I say better safe than sorry.

Other schools say that if you are after November 15th you will have 30 days. That way you have 30 days to make your decision. I love this school so I will just end up paying it, rather be safe than sorry.
I just payed my $1,000. I am a little concerned about this part:

"This offer of admission is contingent on a satisfactory review of your official transcripts, immunization records, criminal background check, proof of insurance and drug screen"

I mean they have already offered us a seat right, so that must mean that they are happy with our grades? Or is this for people who have been accepted but are yet to complete their Bachelors degree, because I have already completed mine.

More than likely that and the whole drug testing

Well I'm not too worried about the drug testing. I just don't want them to be like "Hey you can't join because of your grades". That would be a slap in the face after they've seen everything in my application.

Well I'm not too worried about the drug testing. I just don't want them to be like "Hey you can't join because of your grades". That would be a slap in the face after they've seen everything in my application.
You're already excepted there's nothing to worry about. You're not taking any other classes so you can't fail

It was an email sent to me one week after the interview
Did you have an interview? Or just not heard from them?
I received an interview in less than 2 weeks after my secondary.

Oh sorry about that! I didn't realize this was post interview. I am still waiting to hear about an interview.

Hi! I'm getting tons of private messages from you guys...keep them coming! Happy to answer any questions. Just letting yall know that I am signing off of here until Tuesday afternoon so I can focus on studying. Will answer any questions after that! Good luck, and just relax for now while you have the chance to do so!

Has anyone received their packet or an email after paying the deposit? If so, how long did it take usually?

Has anyone received their packet or an email after paying the deposit? If so, how long did it take usually?
It was about a week from the time that I sent in my check until the time I received the email with all of the informational documents!