University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Applying here! I grew up in western KY till I was thirteen. Do you guys think that'll be enough of a tie to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this year or next. I'm a lifelong resident of Eastern Kentucky. I'm hoping to keep it rural for my medical education too!

Does the Appalachian Regional bias for KYCOM include Pennsylvania residents or does it focus mainly on the southern Appalachian states?

Secondary received today

Essay - Why you should be selected for training as a rural primary care osteopathic physician. Why you are applying to kycom, and why you will be a successful student at kycom. 1-2 page maximum

Secondary received today

Essay - Why you should be selected for training as a rural primary care osteopathic physician. Why you are applying to kycom, and why you will be a successful student at kycom. 1-2 page maximum

+1 Good luck all!!

Secondary received today

Same here!

umm so i got an email today saying that I do not meet the requirements to receive a secondary from KYCOM.....I am confused..... GPA 3.7 MCAT 24..... I have not completed all of the required courses but I thought the courses just had to be completed by matriculation. Help!

I would email the admissions office if I were you

Members don't see this ad :)
umm so i got an email today saying that I do not meet the requirements to receive a secondary from KYCOM.....I am confused..... GPA 3.7 MCAT 24..... I have not completed all of the required courses but I thought the courses just had to be completed by matriculation. Help!

this is one of the only schools that require you to have all your courses done before they can give you a secondary! I'm in the same boat--won't complete my last prereq until december (hoping I can have a shot even if I'm complete by early january).

Anyone know what the acceptance rate is for the amount of people they interview?

My app went into my spam so, for those who did not receive the app check your spam ---VCOM went into my spam, as well.

this is one of the only schools that require you to have all your courses done before they can give you a secondary! I'm in the same boat--won't complete my last prereq until december (hoping I can have a shot even if I'm complete by early january).

I got a secondary, 2 prereqs in progress and 1 sheduled in fall.

Any accepted students from the last cycle around?

Does you guys know if the 1-2 page requirement means double-spaced pages in Microsoft word? I am trying to figure out what is the word limit. If I make it double-spaced it is a page but half a page if it is single-spaced. Thoughts?!

Is anyone familiar with the fee waiver process for KYCOM? My secondary is ready to be submitted, but I can't seem to figure out how to apply the fee waiver. I sent an email out to admissions but have yet to hear back.

Does KYCOM only send secondaries to students in who they are interested in giving an interview to?

Does you guys know if the 1-2 page requirement means double-spaced pages in Microsoft word? I am trying to figure out what is the word limit. If I make it double-spaced it is a page but half a page if it is single-spaced. Thoughts?!

Just to be 100% safe, I would go with single spaced. That way even if they wanted double spaced you will still be in the 1-2 page range without going over 2 pages, and if they want single space then you've done enough to be covered.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering whether UP-KYCOM is receptive to Canadian applicants. In the College Information Book, they state that they take International Student Applicants. However, I'm aware that a number of other schools (PCOM comes to mind) say that they take international students but, for all intents and purposes, do NOT take Canadians. Is there any information about whether Canadians have matriculated here (or at least interviewed here) recently?

Thanks!

No news on interviews yet. I sent my secondary in on the day it was rec'v on July 12th. I haven't had time to search the old thread yet.

No news on interviews yet. I sent my secondary in on the day it was rec'v on July 12th. I haven't had time to search the old thread yet.
Looks like first II's went out 8/24 last year via email. I guess we all just sit back and wait!

I'm working on my secondary now! Is KYCOM anyone's first choice?

I'm a current second year so ill try to answer questions if needed. My advice right now is just get everything in and be patient. We did interviews until late April last year and they accepted people through the summer because of people going to different schools and spots opening up. It's a long ride, but its nothing when looking back on it.

If you're interested in primary care I highly encourage you to apply and check us out. You don't have to go into a primary care field, but that's what most of our students pursue. If you have good numbers or experience, don't worry about the Appalachian region preference. We have students from all over the US and have a large enough class size to do so. Class sizes aren't huge though, ~140 spots. I heard that we have over 2000 applicants last year just to get an idea, but obviously those people applied to other schools as well. Don't remember how many we're interviewed, but I believe most people receive a secondary and we interview 15-20 people a week (maybe twice a week) from around October/November to end of March.

Good luck, and let me know if you get an interview because the students get volunteer hours for attending and giving tours to prospective students. I attended several this past year.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any international students in your year?

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk 2

I totally wouldn't mind going here. I want to be a PCP and Kentucky is beautiful. I could live near Lexington, KY and commute to a rural area to practice.

There are a few in my class that I don't think we're born in the US but moved here as a kid, went to college here. Other than that we have any international students. That's not to say that you shouldn't apply. We probably haven't had that many international applicants.

I'm from a very urban area in New Jersey, but I am quite interested in primary care...How should I approach the secondary essay prompt? Should I even bother? I'm quite interested in the school and am open to relocating to a rural area, but I honestly have lived in the city my whole life (not by choice.)

I'm from a very urban area in New Jersey, but I am quite interested in primary care...How should I approach the secondary essay prompt? Should I even bother? I'm quite interested in the school and am open to relocating to a rural area, but I honestly have lived in the city my whole life (not by choice.)

You should have moved away from your parents at 16 and isolated yourself in the wilderness of Appalachia for the last several years. Sorry dude.

Haha in all honesty just express your willingness to serve the underserved. That's all someone in your situation can do.