University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys just got my II for jan 11th any one else for that day.

I also just received an ii from here today, too! It's my first one, so I'm super excited!! Mine is scheduled for January 10th.

Ironically, this is the school I applied to most recently - submitted the 2nd week of Nov. and received the complete email on Nov. 22.
I've been complete at most other schools for 6-7ish weeks and have heard nothing except for 1 pre-interview hold a few weeks ago and 1 rejection earlier this week.

I'm SO glad I decided to look into this school and apply here! I really liked everything I read on the website, so I'm very excited to check out the school!

Members don't see this ad.

I also just received an ii from here today, too! It's my first one, so I'm super excited!! Mine is scheduled for January 10th.

Ironically, this is the school I applied to most recently - submitted the 2nd week of Nov. and received the complete email on Nov. 22.
I've been complete at most other schools for 6-7ish weeks and have heard nothing except for 1 pre-interview hold a few weeks ago and 1 rejection earlier this week.

I'm SO glad I decided to look into this school and apply here! I really liked everything I read on the website, so I'm very excited to check out the school!
Congrats! Do you have strong ties to Kentucky?

Congrats! Do you have strong ties to Kentucky?

Thank you! :)

I actually live in MI, so no strong ties to Kentucky. But I did a lot of community outreach and volunteer work up at school throughout undergrad that really ties in with school's mission, so I talked about that in the secondary essay. This was one of the schools that seemed like a really good fit for me, so I had an easy time writing a very strong essay. I'm sure that's what helped me with the quick turnaround here or maybe I just had some luck on my side, who knows lol.

I really hope all of you hear back soon!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the best place to live in pikeville?

Hey man did you get the housing options in your acceptance email? From what I've heard the best place is Hensley development they are the nicest and have good proximity. I think ratcliff (or however you spell it) is closer the medical library but from what I hear you can always just use google maps to type in addresses and check proximity to school. All of this of course is coming from someone accepted whose never lived in pikeville :)

Hey,

Yeah I saw the development, but a lot of the ones on the sheet are not furnished, and also the only reviews I find online are people complaining about the quality of apts and bugs etc.

Pm me if you know why Hensley is the best and I'll check it out.

I withdrew from here last week by sending an email to admissions staff. I hadn't received an interview invite yet or anything. They just took too long and I already have acceptances and interviews elsewhere. I never got a reply when I withdrew though... So I don't even know if they got it?

Hey,

Yeah I saw the development, but a lot of the ones on the sheet are not furnished, and also the only reviews I find online are people complaining about the quality of apts and bugs etc.

Pm me if you know why Hensley is the best and I'll check it out.

You won't find much online because there aren't any real apartment complexes. I live in a house within walking distance of school. That's what I would do if I were you. Housing opportunities are constantly posted on the class Facebook group. That'll be the best place to get to know your classmates and find housing/roommates/etc.

I called the development and they said most of the places aren't furnished, so where did you buy a bed and desk?

Lol there are two facebook groups for the class of 2018.

I called the development and they said most of the places aren't furnished, so where did you buy a bed and desk?

Lol there are two facebook groups for the class of 2018.

Haha thanks for pointing out the two Facebook groups I was only in 1

Hey everyone, congrats on whoever has recently gotten accepted and plans to come to KYCOM. I am currently a first year and do enjoy meeting everyone of you guys who rolls in here for interviews. Please feel free to join the Facebook page for 2018 students. Remember guys, this is one step! You still have the fun that is medical school and all the great gross anatomy, cell bio, biochemistry, POM, and OPC. Mmm can't believe the semester is almost over. Again, congrats!!!!

Any advice, insight, or tips regarding the interview and how I should prepare? This will be my first medical school interview (01/11) and would really appreciate the insight!

Interview today was great! Couple questions out of the gate were tough on weaknesses in your app (senior year Gpa for me) but it was real laid back and conversational. Mine was almost an hour long because we just kept chatting. Had a lot of fun and they really sold the school to me. Remains top of my list! Hope everyone else's interviews went well!

Any advice, insight, or tips regarding the interview and how I should prepare? This will be my first medical school interview (01/11) and would really appreciate the insight!

Members don't see this ad :)

Well it's open file meaning they will have all your grades, personal statement, letter of rec and secondary essay in front of them. So be prepared to talk about anything you mentioned in your aacomas or your secondary. Also come ready to address any weaknesses in your application (mine was science Gpa). Overall it was a really laid back interview so I wouldn't stress it but I'd definitely prepare in case you need to address your weaknesses. My interviewers were super nice and really sold the school. Before your interview you'll get to sit and talk with current students and ask questions about the school and they will give good interview tips too so don't stress and be yourself!

Hey dancer23- KYCOM was my first med school interview- I interviewed there on 10/12 and stayed at the Pikeville Holiday Inn. The morning of the interview I went to the Coal building and all the applicants (around 25-30 of us) were put in a room with some current KYCOM students and faculty members. They gave a short presentation on the school and why we should go there. Then half of the applicants took a tour and the other half stayed in the room to be called periodically for interviews (I was in the group that interviewed first then received a tour after, which was nice because I wanted to get it over with quickly).

The interview was two professors and myself in a small office- I introduced myself and as soon as I sat down they started grilling me: asking why I applied there specifically since there are so many great med schools near me (I'm from NJ) and going through my personal statement and the weaknesses of my transcript. After that they asked some typical interview questions (why do I want to be a doctor, why a DO, what specialty am I considering). One question that I thought was interesting was: what did you get out of your research that you'll apply to your medical education? So after the first few hard questions they asked some easy ones (what do I do for fun, hobbies, etc...).

I walked out of the interview feeling like it really didn't go that well. After the tour the admissions director said they'll contact us within 4 days- if we were rejected or waitlisted, we'd receive an email. If we were accepted, we'd receive a personal phone call from the dean. 4 days later on 10/16 I received a call from a 606 area code and sure enough it was Dean Buser saying I'd been accepted! It was the best feeling in the world and a huge relief since I thought the interview wasn't great. They gave me 2 months to pay the $1000 deposit which I payed a few weeks ago. My advice would be to relax and be yourself (I know it seems impossible to relax the day of) and don't be discouraged if you're OOS (just know why you applied there specifically).

Anyway have a good interview and good luck with the rest of your apps!

Hey dancer23- KYCOM was my first med school interview- I interviewed there on 10/12 and stayed at the Pikeville Holiday Inn. The morning of the interview I went to the Coal building and all the applicants (around 25-30 of us) were put in a room with some current KYCOM students and faculty members. They gave a short presentation on the school and why we should go there. Then half of the applicants took a tour and the other half stayed in the room to be called periodically for interviews (I was in the group that interviewed first then received a tour after, which was nice because I wanted to get it over with quickly).

The interview was two professors and myself in a small office- I introduced myself and as soon as I sat down they started grilling me: asking why I applied there specifically since there are so many great med schools near me (I'm from NJ) and going through my personal statement and the weaknesses of my transcript. After that they asked some typical interview questions (why do I want to be a doctor, why a DO, what specialty am I considering). One question that I thought was interesting was: what did you get out of your research that you'll apply to your medical education? So after the first few hard questions they asked some easy ones (what do I do for fun, hobbies, etc...).

I walked out of the interview feeling like it really didn't go that well. After the tour the admissions director said they'll contact us within 4 days- if we were rejected or waitlisted, we'd receive an email. If we were accepted, we'd receive a personal phone call from the dean. 4 days later on 10/16 I received a call from a 606 area code and sure enough it was Dean Buser saying I'd been accepted! It was the best feeling in the world and a huge relief since I thought the interview wasn't great. They gave me 2 months to pay the $1000 deposit which I payed a few weeks ago. My advice would be to relax and be yourself (I know it seems impossible to relax the day of) and don't be discouraged if you're OOS (just know why you applied there specifically).

Anyway have a good interview and good luck with the rest of your apps!
^This!

Hello everyone,

I submitted my secondary app in Nov and received an e mail from admissions office on november 12th that I will receive a notification on whether I will receive an interview date or not. I still have not heard anything from them. Should I call them...? It's January now and I am getting nervous...

Hello everyone,

I submitted my secondary app in Nov and received an e mail from admissions office on november 12th that I will receive a notification on whether I will receive an interview date or not. I still have not heard anything from them. Should I call them...? It's January now and I am getting nervous...

I received that email on Aug 21st and I haven't heard a word since then.

I was wondering what books does KYCOM give to it's first year medical students? I was going to buy Netters Atlas of Anatomy, but I don't want to buy any books that they might already supply.

I was wondering what books does KYCOM give to it's first year medical students? I was going to buy Netters Atlas of Anatomy, but I don't want to buy any books that they might already supply.
All the books you need are provided, including Netters!

You get all the books you need and all the equipment you need to succeed. It was pretty awesome to start off with everything I needed without shelling out any of my limited discretionary income, just saying. Probably would run well over a couple of grand to get everything they give you within the first week. And yes you definitely get a Netters Atlas of Anatomy, with which you will become very very intimate by the end of your first semester ;).

Interview advice: be yourself, able to explain your weaknesses, and a good reason for why you choose KYCOM. Usually the interviews are not too intense, but more of a conversation. Go over the interview feedback section here on SDN to get a better feel for some specific questions and situations.

Housing: Take that sheet you were given in your acceptance package, call EVERYBODY and make a trip to see what is available. That is what everyone has to do because online searching is pretty useless. Pikeville still likes to do everything in person or by phone.

Congrats to all that have been accepted! Enjoy some time off before it begins!

Im having so much trouble getting my committee letter to KYCOM .. My pre-med office has sent it twice and for some reason admissions just does not receive it... plus it has been so hard to get in touch with admissions.. its frustrating.. :(

wondering if they are still giving out ii

I have been complete since early October and have not heard anything. Does anyone know if they have conducted any January interviews?

For those who are currently attending KYCOM, what is the class schedule like? How do the blocks work? And what are the labs like?

The more detailed, the better.

Thanks in advance.

Just interviewed Friday (Jan 10th). Hopefully I have reason to join the FB group soon :)

So I tried to call Angel yesterday because it's been a long time since I've heard anything from the school... I just keep getting an answering machine. Do I have to leave my name ane phone number so Angel would call me back!??!!? I am so confused. I don't know if I have the correct phone number...but it's 606-218-5406...

Anyone who has heard anything from Pikeville?

So I tried to call Angel yesterday because it's been a long time since I've heard anything from the school... I just keep getting an answering machine. Do I have to leave my name ane phone number so Angel would call me back!??!!? I am so confused. I don't know if I have the correct phone number...but it's 606-218-5406...

Anyone who has heard anything from Pikeville?
Im on the same boat as you. It is very rare that I get an answer whenever I call. The number is correct. I spoke with her last week on Tuesday and she advised me to call her back in a week,,,, but no answer.

Anyone know if they are still offering interviews?

I want to know this as well!!!! Can't get a hold of Angel for a few days now. I am getting worried.

Me too :( I've been complete since October.. Im really starting to think this is a silent reject...

just got a complete email from them. sure took a while

I talked to Angel yesterday and she said that they're still reveiwing my stuff and I will be able to hear back from them in 2-3 weeks whether I will get an inverview invite or not..:S I was complete in November.

Last edited:
Did everyone automatically receive a secondary application when KYCOM received their primary?

Can anybody elaborate on the process after primary is complete?

Thanks

Did everyone automatically receive a secondary application when KYCOM received their primary?

Can anybody elaborate on the process after primary is complete?

Thanks

I actually got a rejection based off of not taking Physics II (which I had) so I e-mailed them about the error and got a secondary sent to me. It looks pretty standard, just 1 essay.

Just received an ii today! I'm not sure if this question has been posted before bc I rarely come on sdn but can anyone give me any insight on the interview? Also does anyone know of the interview:acceptance ratio? My interview is on the 7th of February and I'm kind of worried that this is too late into the application cycle? Your responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Just received an ii today! I'm not sure if this question has been posted before bc I rarely come on sdn but can anyone give me any insight on the interview? Also does anyone know of the interview:acceptance ratio? My interview is on the 7th of February and I'm kind of worried that this is too late into the application cycle? Your responses are greatly appreciated! Thanks
Congrats!! how long ago were you complete, and what are your stats? (if you dont mind)

Nice! :) Congrats!! Yes when were you complete?! I am anxiously waiting for their call.....

The answers to these questions have been posted. Idk the ratio of ii/acceptance but if they are still interviewing then that means they still have acceptances to give out. I interviewed here 11/1/13 and was accepted about 3 days after with a phone call. The interview was fairly simple in that it was just a 2 faculty interview with you. To me, it was very conversational. At the beginning of the interview day, theres about 15-20 of you in a room and receive a presentation about what the school has to offer, then you'll be broken up into groups and some of you will go on a tour and some will start with the interview itself. I toured first then came back to the room and was called for my interview within 2 minutes of returning from the tour. Be prepared to answer why DO, did you apply to MD schools, what happened with this class (why did you get a c or whatever), what will you do if you don't get into med school, what do you do for fun, tell me about this activity or that shadowing experience. Very straight forward and no hard ethical questions.

Good luck!

I also just received my ii through my email today! My interview is on the 8th of February. I just wonder if anyone have the same interview day as me.

I also just received my ii through my email today! My interview is on the 8th of February. I just wonder if anyone have the same interview day as me.

Congrats!!! So you got ii thru e mail?! when were you complete and do you mind sharing your stat?

So I got my interview invitation through email and my stats are 3.55/27 OSS. I've been complete since around the end of October/ beginning of November I don't remember the exact date. But hang in there guys, if you've been completed since then I'm sure you'll be next. Stay positive !

Also thanks nav13 for your thorough answer and advice, I really appreciate the insight!

Such a coincidence, my stats are pretty much the same as Hanbgimd22 and I completed my application around the same time. It would be so much fun if we have the same interview day as well. For BK Blaxta and everyone else, hang in there and stay positive!

I was told the weather in KY is making it difficult for the committee to get together. Sure would like to hear something back soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for a ride to Kycom the day before my interview on 2/8. If anyone happens to have the same interview day as me and willing to help please pm me . I'm willing to pay for the expenses of the trip.