University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I graduated a semester early and have a lot of free time. Any suggestions as to what the first year books are so I could get a basic idea of what my M1 year is gonna be like?
I feel so cliche saying this but I'd honestly focus on enjoying your "freedom" and not worry about trying to study. PLEASE trust me on this. However if you STILL feel that urge, your first semester is going to consist of gross anatomy, cell biology/histology and medical biochemistry. Any textbook in any of those subjects will work. I can tell you the specific books if you send me a private message but like I said it's not even worth it. And an FYI I rarely opened the text books last semester anyway. Everything you need to know is thru the power points that are given to us. Literally if you know the power point down cold you will ace the exam. Hope this helped

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
can any current students elaborate on the quality of rotations at KYCOM?

I graduated a semester early and have a lot of free time. Any suggestions as to what the first year books are so I could get a basic idea of what my M1 year is gonna be like?
I'm with my friend up there. Do not get any books to study with. Enjoy your time. Work and get some money if you want, or travel. Do something that's not studying.

As far as rotations I think I shared some info a few pages back? I don't know if it was here or in private message though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, Which hotel is near the interview place? Is there any shuttle service from airport to hotels/interview place? Sorry, I know it has been mentioned before in the thread, I will look into it once I get back from work, just wanted a quick response for now that's why asking. Which airport should I go to? Thanks!

Hi guys, Which hotel is near the interview place? Is there any shuttle service from airport to hotels/interview place? Sorry, I know it has been mentioned before in the thread, I will look into it once I get back from work, just wanted a quick response for now that's why asking. Which airport should I go to? Thanks!
Hampton across the street.
No shuttle from airport you'll have to fly into Charlotte or Lexington and rent a car.

I'm with my friend up there. Do not get any books to study with. Enjoy your time. Work and get some money if you want, or travel. Do something that's not studying.

As far as rotations I think I shared some info a few pages back? I don't know if it was here or in private message though...

I think I did see something a few pages back or from last years thread...but it was more about where rotations were. I was wondering if you speak on the quality--do students get a good hands-on/interactive experience or just end up basically shadowing? And are students able to make good connections with the physicians during these rotations? Etc.

I think I did see something a few pages back or from last years thread...but it was more about where rotations were. I was wondering if you speak on the quality--do students get a good hands-on/interactive experience or just end up basically shadowing? And are students able to make good connections with the physicians during these rotations? Etc.

I've heard from many second years, who are currently in the process of picking there sites, that they have a couple where the hospital has residents so with a hospital like that you shadow more.. However most of the sites are usually just you and the physician so you will get a lot more hands on experience and one on one time with the doc.

I've heard from many second years, who are currently in the process of picking there sites, that they have a couple where the hospital has residents so with a hospital like that you shadow more.. However most of the sites are usually just you and the physician so you will get a lot more hands on experience and one on one time with the doc.

Oh ok, thanks for the info!

Ok cool thanks! The students really seemed like a tight-knit group, so that was awesome to see.

I was also wondering how many students also take the USMLE? Are you guys encouraged/supported to do this? Thanks for your help!

I didn't see anyone answer this so I figured I'd chime in. I'm currently a second year, and I will be taking both the USMLE and COMLEX. From the preliminary chatting happening about boards, I think most people I've talked to are planning to take both exams with just a few exceptions. I believe your class will be doing the single match. In my mind, this could go either way- PDs from ACGME residencies understand more about COMLEX grading so having the USMLE as well is not as important, or since you now have no option to apply to a program with only DO applicants, the USMLE will be more important. I plan on applying to ACGME residencies, so the USMLE is pretty important. Also, based on the Qbanks/general knowledge, the exams are entirely different, and I've talked to people who have done poorly on COMLEX and well above average on the USMLE, or vise versa. At the end of the day, it's really just a second chance for you to knock one out of the park and get the upper hand over other applicants.

As for encouraging us to take it, I wouldn't say they *discourage* it necessarily, but the heavy emphasis is placed on COMLEX. Everyone has a brief meeting with one of our deans, and the "academic progress coordinator" to discuss our COMLEX study plans. As I haven't had my meeting yet I can't say whether any specific encouraging/discouraging occurs. I would think it's a case-by-case basis, but all of the faculty here are tremendously supportive! Dr. Harris, who is in charge of the board prep stuff, is fantastic and very knowledgable; he's provided some great advice that would, presumably, set you up for great success! I'm primarily going the UFAP route, but if I didn't have a clue where to begin, he maps everything out for you (when to be doing what/how many questions/etc.) which is awesome.

That is probably a bit more than you were looking for, but if you've got any more questions feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today for Feb. 19. So if the class this year is full, will you be secured a spot for next year class?

II today for Feb. 19. So if the class this year is full, will you be secured a spot for next year class?
Yes, if the class is full you're accepted into next years class with the chance to move up.
I would say you'll be one of the last dates to be straight up accepted into this class though.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember any interview questions they were asked? Thank you in advance!

Hey, Does anybody know if you can find out who you are interviewing with beforehand? Also, Whoever interviewed on Friday this year, who did you have as interviewers if you dont mind sharing? Thanks!

Hey, Does anybody know if you can find out who you are interviewing with beforehand? Also, Whoever interviewed on Friday this year, who did you have as interviewers if you dont mind sharing? Thanks!
No way of knowing before hand. And the faculty on a rotating schedule, they don't just do Friday's or Saturday's. There is no point in trying to guess.

Does anyone remember any interview questions they were asked? Thank you in advance!

I was asked:

- how I would be able to handle the stress/workload of medical school
- if I'd be able to adjust to living in Pikeville
- got asked about my experience/knowledge with OMT

...that's all I can really remember--the interview ended up being much shorter than I expected but my interviewers were very chill, good luck!

P.S. you find out who's interviewing you when you get your info folder and the med students mingle with you and give you a heads-up about your interviewers :)

Has anyone that paid their deposit in late December/Early January received a matriculation packet that included information regarding vaccinations, drug screen, background check, financial aid?

I've been on the hold list since December, does anyone know when a decision will be made for people on the hold list? cause i really need to figure out what I'm doing for the rest of the year.

I've been on the hold list since December, does anyone know when a decision will be made for people on the hold list? cause i really need to figure out what I'm doing for the rest of the year.
At any point in time they decide to make a decision on you.

How did everyone get here? Was it through Lexington airport and then driving 2.5 hours or is there a better way?

Does anyone know how to access the upike email for newly accepted students?

Has anyone gotten an acceptance call from this past Friday or Saturday interviews?

Hey all! I have my interview next Friday 2/19. I'm actually driving up from Florida...any tips on a decently priced place to stay? Interview says 12-5ish...should I expect to be done by 5? Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! It's my first interview this cycle so I'm a little nervous, but it comforts me that most people have experienced a pretty relaxed/conversational interview :)

Hey all! I have my interview next Friday 2/19. I'm actually driving up from Florida...any tips on a decently priced place to stay? Interview says 12-5ish...should I expect to be done by 5? Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! It's my first interview this cycle so I'm a little nervous, but it comforts me that most people have experienced a pretty relaxed/conversational interview :)
You'll be done before 5. The best place to stay is the Hampton, it's right across the road from the school.
Since yours is at 12 you can stay in prestonsburg about 30 minutes down the road for about $80 at a comfort inn, but I would be nervous that a wreck or something would happen holding me up lol

You'll be done before 5. The best place to stay is the Hampton, it's right across the road from the school.
Since yours is at 12 you can stay in prestonsburg about 30 minutes down the road for about $80 at a comfort inn, but I would be nervous that a wreck or something would happen holding me up lol

lol truee...ok good call. thanks for the input!

Interviewed January 9th, accepted January 14th.

If anyone has any questions regarding the interview, the dude is here.

Immunizations are done with your own doctor, they gave us a deadline of March something.

Drug test is done orientation week.
Just curious where you saw immunizations were due in March? I know the "Verified Credentials" website says everything including the background check is due May 15th. Am I missing something? Thanks!

Just curious where you saw immunizations were due in March? I know the "Verified Credentials" website says everything including the background check is due May 15th. Am I missing something? Thanks!
Someone asked about our time line. I'm saying they gave us that deadline, yours may be totally different.

Been sitting on an II for a week now. Gonna just go ahead and decline since I know some of you folks are still dying to hear back. Btw there's only 3 dates left as of now: 3/5, 3/11 and 4/1

My secondary has been complete since about the beginning of the month. I've yet to get an interview invite, so I'm starting to sweat a bit. What is the longest wait I should anticipate given how few dates are left?

Hiya everyone! New to the thread! I just got my II this afternoon- it will be my first interview out of the 2 that I have received!
Extremely nervous and anxious! I will be interviewing 3/5 , anyone else out there going to be there then?

Samac you have been so amazingly involved in answering all the questions sent your way throughout the duration of this threads existence! That is seriously cool and commendable!

I have been read all 13 pages in this thread instead of studying biochem 2 (which is waaaaaay harder than biochem 1 ugh), but just wanted to see if there was any info that anyone wanted to offer up! Did you all stay for the tour? What did you do while waiting for/after your interview? how did the day progress?

thank you in advance!! :)

Interviewed January 9th, accepted January 14th.

If anyone has any questions regarding the interview, the dude is here.

CONGRATS! YOU ARE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!
any advice on the way your day progressed, any Q's you would be willing to share, basically i'll take anything! :)

My secondary has been complete since about the beginning of the month. I've yet to get an interview invite, so I'm starting to sweat a bit. What is the longest wait I should anticipate given how few dates are left?
Honestly you were complete very late and I don't know what to expect for you. I wish you the best, though!
I have been read all 13 pages in this thread instead of studying biochem 2 (which is waaaaaay harder than biochem 1 ugh), but just wanted to see if there was any info that anyone wanted to offer up! Did you all stay for the tour? What did you do while waiting for/after your interview? how did the day progress?

Thank you for the kind words, I really just want to help you all as much as possible!
The tour is just quick and painless, it doesn't hurt you to leave but it can be nice to see the facilities you could potentially be at for the next 2 years.
They'll break you all into groups, one will tour first, one will interview first, and one will be staying with the current students.
It's really a pretty painless interview I swear! And weaknesses you have be prepared to discuss them, otherwise it's really laid back and conversation.

And yeah, congrats @Lebowski9 ;)

CONGRATS! YOU ARE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!
any advice on the way your day progressed, any Q's you would be willing to share, basically i'll take anything! :)
When you arrive you'll be given a folder with your name on it containing information about your interviewers and you'll be assigned to a group (A,B,C..) which results in some of you interviewing while the others are on a tour.

You'll go into a classroom, mingle with some first years like @samac , and watch an introduction video and have a brief intro from the associate dean and director of admissions. Your interviewers will come in and call you back with them.

My interview was very conversational and was given by 2 professors. Some of the questions I was asked:

What brought me to KYCOM?
What was my biggest regret of college?
How did I adjust my study habits when I was presented with a topic I had difficulty understanding?
How would I explain my learning style?
Questions regarding my research
What did I like in particular about my shadowing experiences?
Finally, I was grilled regarding my job. I work at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital so they were very interested in what my job consisted of and how the experience has affected me.

You'll be fine, just don't go in with rehearsed answers and speaking 1,000 words per minute. Review your personal statement, secondary application, and the information they give you about your interviewers. KYCOM is VERY mission oriented in regards to producing primary care physicians, so I would recommend your interest in going into primary care (even if that's not the case) to be brought up at some point during your interview.

You'll be fine. It'll be here and over before you know it, good luck!

Hiya everyone! New to the thread! I just got my II this afternoon- it will be my first interview out of the 2 that I have received!
Extremely nervous and anxious! I will be interviewing 3/5 , anyone else out there going to be there then?

Samac you have been so amazingly involved in answering all the questions sent your way throughout the duration of this threads existence! That is seriously cool and commendable!

Congrats! When were you marked as complete, if I may ask?

Your secondary was submitted late in the season, and I know at my interview it was stated that they are seeing more and more applicants every year. I can speak on how long mine took. When I applied, I completed my secondary application in late October and got my interview invite in late February almost March. The neat thing about KYCOM is that if the class is full when one interviews one is not interviewing for a traditional waitlist spot but a spot for the next year. So it would be for the class that starts in July 2017. They use those individuals to fill any spots that open up to fill the class that starts in July (2016). I know I was thankful for that when I interviewed in late March. Good Luck

Last edited:
Congrats! When were you marked as complete, if I may ask?

Hi Dalto! I just saw your post and wanted to let you know that I submitted waaayyyyyy late! Literally I submitted on SUNDAY! and I got the II yesterday!
I had not given Pike too much thought, but realized that it was actually a really interesting program, and their mission statement LITERALLY fits me TO A T!!
If I were to establish my own med school these are the factors I would make my priorities, and I think that really came through in my applications!!

so DO NOT LOSE HOPE! SERIOUSLY!

THANK
When you arrive you'll be given a folder with your name on it containing information about your interviewers and you'll be assigned to a group (A,B,C..) which results in some of you interviewing while the others are on a tour.

You'll go into a classroom, mingle with some first years like @samac , and watch an introduction video and have a brief intro from the associate dean and director of admissions. Your interviewers will come in and call you back with them.

My interview was very conversational and was given by 2 professors. Some of the questions I was asked:

What brought me to KYCOM?
What was my biggest regret of college?
How did I adjust my study habits when I was presented with a topic I had difficulty understanding?
How would I explain my learning style?
Questions regarding my research
What did I like in particular about my shadowing experiences?
Finally, I was grilled regarding my job. I work at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital so they were very interested in what my job consisted of and how the experience has affected me.

You'll be fine, just don't go in with rehearsed answers and speaking 1,000 words per minute. Review your personal statement, secondary application, and the information they give you about your interviewers. KYCOM is VERY mission oriented in regards to producing primary care physicians, so I would recommend your interest in going into primary care (even if that's not the case) to be brought up at some point during your interview.

You'll be fine. It'll be here and over before you know it, good luck!

Thank you so much @samac and @Lewbowski9!!
You have honestly eased my nervous and really made me even more excited for the interview!! Can't wait to see Coal Building and get to meet some OMS-I's!
What a warm and receptive group of people :)

Last edited:
How'd everyone's interviews go?

Last edited: