University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am applying this year to KYCOM. Assuming I get accepted there, I wanted to know if I can do my rotations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or in New York? Are they affiliated with any of the hospitals from these states? Thanks!
I don't think there were any on the list up in the New England area that I can remember. It pretty much goes straight up from Kentucky through Michigan.
I am in the same boat!! They aren't answering emails or phone calls...very frustrating. I got my 2016-2017 Fafsa acceptance and am getting Class of 2020 emails yet I am Not in 2020...still in 2021.
I would take the spot if they have one. I would like to Atleast know where I am on the list so I can figure out my chances. But I got no response.
They won't tell you a spot on the list, unfortunately.
has anyone received any official communication with details regarding orientation? very much looking forward to KYCOM :)
Yeah we didn't get anything until Jumy telling us when to be there. They didn't give us a schedule before orientation either, gave out everything on day one.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone if they have started moving people from 2021 to 2020 yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I'm sure they have. People start getting moved in May.

I think that's impossible to answer because they don't advertise their high and low.

I was asking for like specific people. So say some individual had like a 500 mcat and like a 3.4 gpa or something. I wasn't looking for the university's response, but specific candidates lol

Yes I'm sure they have. People start getting moved in May.

I think that's impossible to answer because they don't advertise their high and low.

I emailed Ronnie 2 weeks ago and he said they hadn't started moving people yet

I have called and emailed but either don't get a response or they said to just 'be patient'...
Email Joel about getting it fixed, it took a long time for me and I had to follow-up several times to get it solved.

Call Joel at (606) 218-5406 if you want to find out or get an update. I am also in class of 2021, but I do not plan to accept if they move me up to this year. Anyone still having problems with their Bears email?

Quick question ... is getting a bicycle a good idea, like for simple 'n quick transportation? Thanks.

Quick question ... is getting a bicycle a good idea, like for simple 'n quick transportation? Thanks.

Where, in general, are you living in Pikeville? If you're living in the city, nearish the school, a bike is a good idea. If youre living out towards walmart, the ride to school is pretty far--doable if you take the pauley addition bridge.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody know about how well T-mobile network work over there in Pikeville? Thanks!

Where, in general, are you living in Pikeville? If you're living in the city, nearish the school, a bike is a good idea. If youre living out towards walmart, the ride to school is pretty far--doable if you take the pauley addition bridge.
Honestly, I'm still trying to find housing. Looking for a roommate atm. But yeah, I hope to live near the school.

Can someone please tell me how long the typical class schedule is like ... as in, what time classes start and finish? Thanks!

Can someone please tell me how long the typical class schedule is like ... as in, what time classes start and finish? Thanks!
First semester most days are 8-3 or 10-5. Half days on Fridays. Second semester you have much more half days. It's the anatomy labs that get you first semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any idea what type of tech (laptop/ipad) well be getting? Id like to start buying necessary accessories.

Does anyone have any idea what type of tech (laptop/ipad) well be getting? Id like to start buying necessary accessories.
Hard to comment, we got an iPad a year newer than the class before us. We got an iPad Air 2 but you may get newer ones. The laptop wa a Dell Latitude and that probably won't change but you don't really need anything for it.

Hi, I am curious if there is any gym nearby with treadmill in it? Thanks? Also, whats going to be avg monthly fee with student discount? Thanks!

Hi, I am curious if there is any gym nearby with treadmill in it? Thanks? Also, whats going to be avg monthly fee with student discount? Thanks!
There's a YMCA and an Anytime fitness. I think UPIKE has a small, but not great rec facility. Crossfit might be coming to Pikeville as well.

Does anybody know about how well T-mobile network work over there in Pikeville? Thanks!

While I was there for interviews in April, the students generally recommended switching to Verizon over any other carrier.

Hiya all! I was hoping any oms ii could shed some light on the timings during orientation week! How long/ what time to what time are our days in the week like on the 1st day vs every other day and friday. I ask bc I have my lil sis staying with me and we will be going to a wedding after we're done on Fri!
Thank youuuu!

PS when do we get our kycom advantage things?
PPS attire and what to bring?!

Thank you!!

Hiya all! I was hoping any oms ii could shed some light on the timings during orientation week! How long/ what time to what time are our days in the week like on the 1st day vs every other day and friday. I ask bc I have my lil sis staying with me and we will be going to a wedding after we're done on Fri!
Thank youuuu!

PS when do we get our kycom advantage things?
PPS attire and what to bring?!

Thank you!!
Attire is the same as class, business. You don't really need anything. You get your stuff this coming week, should be Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't remember exactly what happened day to day, but I know you'll be done by 1 Friday.

Attire is the same as class, business. You don't really need anything. You get your stuff this coming week, should be Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't remember exactly what happened day to day, but I know you'll be done by 1 Friday.
thank you!

The interviews are pretty laid back.
Be prepared to explain why osteopathic medicine/why medicine.
If there are any weaknesses in your application be prepared to discuss them, they will bring them up.

Your chances are probably pretty good with those stats, just make sure your secondaries fit with their mission. I know people with much higher stats than mine that got rejected pre and post interview for not fitting the mission.

So what fitting their mission be interested in primary care and wanting to work in smaller towns?

So what fitting their mission be interested in primary care and wanting to work in smaller towns?
Any questions for this cycle please keep them to the other thread or in gonna get confused really fast lol. Primary care in rural areas, specifically Appalachia is the mission. If you can spin that in your favor that will be great.

yeah i was so confused as well @samac
follow up question ( sorry!) about what time do the days run till during the week (besides friday!)? thank you!
also, how do you pay tuition? Nothing is on my web advisor account?? emailed teresa but no response..?

yeah i was so confused as well @samac
follow up question ( sorry!) about what time do the days run till during the week (besides friday!)? thank you!
also, how do you pay tuition? Nothing is on my web advisor account?? emailed teresa but no response..?
I have student loans, so if you have those you don't have to deal with any payments, they just credit you the refund. If you're paying out of pocket then I'm not sure. Orientation will be till 3 or noon. I just don't remember exactly how t played out, sorry! That's the same as classes other than POM which is Wednesday till 5.

Hi,

I've searched through this thread, but wanted to hopefully get any update: I received a secondary (don't know if everyone does...), but I don't want to submit this if they don't even look at my application with a 497 MCAT (42%) and above average everything else. Can anyone provide insight on this?

I know the applications close 2/1 but do you think it's way too late to apply now?

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is KYCOM is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.

can any 3rd or 4th year students comment on the rotation sites? what they like, what they don't like? I'm having trouble deciding is KYCOM is a good fit for me in regards to rotation sites because lets face it... exposure is key.
I'm a second year but because our match day is in a week I've talked to many people who love where they're rotating and some who don't. Some sites are totally one on one with a physician which can be seen as a negative or positive. You may get to be more hands on but you don't get used to be in the structure of a redidency setting before starting auditions. Different people prefer it different ways.
We have some really solid sites, 2 in Mississippi , Bowling Green, Somerset, and some that people don't like. It's so wide spread and varied it would be hard to imagine you wouldn't find somewhere that you wouldn't be comfortable.

I'm a second year but because our match day is in a week I've talked to many people who love where they're rotating and some who don't. Some sites are totally one on one with a physician which can be seen as a negative or positive. You may get to be more hands on but you don't get used to be in the structure of a redidency setting before starting auditions. Different people prefer it different ways.
We have some really solid sites, 2 in Mississippi , Bowling Green, Somerset, and some that people don't like. It's so wide spread and varied it would be hard to imagine you wouldn't find somewhere that you wouldn't be comfortable.
See I'm curious as to whether or not kycom has better rotation sites than comp nw...