University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everyone! does anyone know if KYCOM accepts recommendation letters via AACOMAS?

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone! does anyone know if KYCOM accepts recommendation letters via AACOMAS?
Yes they do, I called and asked Ronnie about it. But they did send out an email saying that they're having troubles downloading the letters... so I think the intent is there but who knows when it will work

Last edited:
Complete email last night but Idk I sent my lor by interfolio because I didn't know and that is when I became complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the invite for the secondary, super excited! Really hoping for an II.

They are extremely mission oriented. Do you have experience in rural service? Probably not going to be very competitive here.

Are you on the admissions committee? You don't have to live in a rural area to be interested in working in a rural area. You don't even know anything about this applicant to be saying "your probably not going to be very competitive here."

You'd be a fool to think they are throwing out every application that is not from the sticks or doesn't have experience in the sticks. Don't discourage anybody from applying, especially when you don't know what your talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got a complete email last night. I sent in my LoRs through Interfolio yesterday after receiving the email about the issue with the AACOMAS email.

is the secondary not working for anyone else... I had access and was working on it and now when I click on the link it isn't connecting =/.

is the secondary not working for anyone else... I had access and was working on it and now when I click on the link it isn't connecting =/.
I haven't been able to connect for a few days. Theoretically complete, just wanted to see if my letters were holding me up.

I can't access it either, and I was just getting ready to submit. :-/

It is still down-no word from Ronnie or anyone else about when it might be back up.

Just submitted my primary here yesterday. Waiting on transcripts. Excited about getting the secondary and a II if lucky. Have any gone out yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my primary here yesterday. Waiting on transcripts. Excited about getting the secondary and a II if lucky. Have any gone out yet?

Look back, several posters here have received secondaries. There have been some issues with AACOMAS and schools not receiving LORS yet-they hope to have it back up by the end of August.

Look back, several posters here have received secondaries. There have been some issues with AACOMAS and schools not receiving LORS yet-they hope to have it back up by the end of August.
Thanks! No interviews yet though it seems. Nice to know I'm not to late

Just got off the phone with the admissions people.

Apparently they are screening at 498

What is it on the old scale?
Also are they screening pre or post secondary?
From what I hear the old scale, although not comparable, it would be about a 22 or 23?

Well isn't their average MCAT around 24?
So I would assume there are students with above and below 24.

Reactions: 1 users
Well isn't their average MCAT around 24?
So I would assume there are students with above and below 24.
I'm not giving away any particular people but I know more than a few people in my class with the 20-24 range.

I wonder if interviews will be held off until the LOR situation settles itself. Wishful thinking, maybe.

I wonder if interviews will be held off until the LOR situation settles itself. Wishful thinking, maybe.

As of this afternoon, my app (which I submitted 2 weeks ago) was finally complete. Looks like the LOR situation is clearing up.
When I spoke to Ronnie last week, he said that they were beginning to review transcripts this week :)

As of this afternoon, my app (which I submitted 2 weeks ago) was finally complete. Looks like the LOR situation is clearing up.
When I spoke to Ronnie last week, he said that they were beginning to review transcripts this week :)
I think I'm on just about the same timeline as you :thumbup: Thanks for the info!

Looks like they are able to download letters from AACOMAS now.

Out of curiosity, is anyone taking additional coursework during this application cycle? I'm considering retaking a few to bump up my GPA.....the pessimist in me is already preparing for next cycle :(

Does the KYCOM have block scheduling? Or are all courses taken at once/in stages?

I was marked complete on 8/11 here. Anyone receive an II from around that time or earlier yet?

Does the KYCOM have block scheduling? Or are all courses taken at once/in stages?
I'm not really sure what you mean in block scheduling vs all at once. They call it block scheduling, but all are classes are running at the same time. First semester we have Gross, biochem, cell bio, opc (patient care), and pom (OMT). We have block exams where all classes but OPC are tested at once in one sitting. Practicals are different days and you have those in gross pom and opc. Does that help?

Last edited:
Yes! I am getting my masters at Kansas City U and their students have one class for 3 weeks. So they just had bio Chem for 3 weeks then won't look at it again. Good to know that's not everywhere!

Yes! I am getting my masters at Kansas City U and their students have one class for 3 weeks. So they just had bio Chem for 3 weeks then won't look at it again. Good to know that's not everywhere!
I would probably beat my head into a wall if I had nothing but biochem for 3 weeks straight.
Also if your profile pic is you I recommend changing it to stay anonymous. Some adcoms do look at SDN and you want to be able to speak freely about your experiences. Just giving you a heads up.

I would probably beat my head into a wall if I had nothing but biochem for 3 weeks straight.
Also if your profile pic is you I recommend changing it to stay anonymous. Some adcoms do look at SDN and you want to be able to speak freely about your experiences. Just giving you a heads up.

thanks for the tip!

Is there anybody out there whose letters were delayed by the AACOMAS problems and still hasn't had it resolved? I have green checks next to my letters but the letter of recommendation section is marked incomplete. I've had the secondary in since 7/30 and it's killing me not to be complete!

Have they started sending out interview invites yet? Other school are sending out acceptances already !!

Is there anybody out there whose letters were delayed by the AACOMAS problems and still hasn't had it resolved? I have green checks next to my letters but the letter of recommendation section is marked incomplete. I've had the secondary in since 7/30 and it's killing me not to be complete!

I emailed Ronnie when mine was the stuck the same way. He forwarded it to IT-mine was fixed within the hour!

I emailed Ronnie when mine was the stuck the same way. He forwarded it to IT-mine was fixed within the hour!
That fast? I sent an email last Friday with no luck. Perhaps I'll call.

That fast? I sent an email last Friday with no luck. Perhaps I'll call.
Definitely call. I think I just got lucky and IT must have had nothing else to do when I emailed.

I've been complete since last week, and Ronnie said they were reviewing then...hopefully we'll get some movement soon!

Definitely call. I think I just got lucky and IT must have had nothing else to do when I emailed.

I've been complete since last week, and Ronnie said they were reviewing then...hopefully we'll get some movement soon!

Im having the same issue where everything is processed but my app says incomplete. What is the email for IT ?

It's a little hectic in the admissions department, his assistant changed departments and they don't have a replacement yet.

He's the director of admissions. Very nice guy.

I think of Ronnie like a nice Judge Dredd, plus he's just so pleasant on the phone!!

I have been emailing back and forth with Ronnie for the past month, and he's fantastic. My application is still incomplete from 7/31 because of the LOR's, but he informed me that he has them in hand, but he's currently handling ALL applications by himself. Serious props to him. Even though I would love to see my app complete, I know that he's seriously doing as much as he can.

He did it! My app is finally complete after having everything sent in 7/31! Holy freak, now to wait for an II

Is this school receptive to oos applicants and is it to late to apply?
If you haven't sent out applications to schools, your best bet is to wait until the next cycle. I'm not saying that there isn't any chance at all, but it's pretty late to send out a primary application, and a really expensive risk.

I applied early to all the schools I applied this year (may/June) I just haven't applied to this one and thought it'd be a good option to add, since it's still early in the cycle for DOs. I don't buy that about needing to wait till next cycle it's early September.
Yeah you can always give it a shot, most schools haven't sent out any II's yet anyways. I thought that you hadn't applied at all.