University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay so apparently you have to add group members before you make a facebook group. Does anyone want to help me make a group page on facebook/want to be added to it? I'm excited to meet other people who've been accepted! =)

Members don't see this ad.

To all that interviewed, how big was your group? What was the stress level of your interview? Was the interview (1v1, 2v1, 3v1, etc)? What kind of question did they ask? Any curveballs? Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know where I can find the 2014 matchlist only? I found the composite list from 2009-2014.

To all that interviewed, how big was your group? What was the stress level of your interview? Was the interview (1v1, 2v1, 3v1, etc)? What kind of question did they ask? Any curveballs? Thanks in advance!

Also, does anyone know where I can find the 2014 matchlist only? I found the composite list from 2009-2014.

My group was about 20 people. It was the least stressful interview I've ever had. It was 2 on 1 and the interviewer's really just want to get to know who you are as a person. I got asked questions mostly about my hobbies, some interesting classes I've taken, and the usual why KYCOM, why DO. I didn't think there were any curveballs. It was all pretty straight forward. I have no idea about the matchlist sorry!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My group was about 20 people. It was the least stressful interview I've ever had. It was 2 on 1 and the interviewer's really just want to get to know who you are as a person. I got asked questions mostly about my hobbies, some interesting classes I've taken, and the usual why KYCOM, why DO. I didn't think there were any curveballs. It was all pretty straight forward. I have no idea about the matchlist sorry!

Hey @jpmiz , thanks for the reply! :D

Were you able to find out the fate of the others? How long was the interview? Are you IS or OOS?

Congrats on your acceptance! You did it!

Hey @jpmiz , thanks for the reply! :D

Were you able to find out the fate of the others? How long was the interview? Are you IS or OOS?

Congrats on your acceptance! You did it!
Only the ones that are on sdn. Everyone I met seemed great so hopefully they got in. The interview was about 30 minutes. I'm OOS, but from a state touching Kentucky. Thank you! I'm pretty excited about this school! =) I hope you get in as well!

Then it looks like it's time to celebrate! And to anyone who hasn't gotten the call yet, I'm sure it'll be coming in soon. I was terrified and sitting next to my phone waiting on the call all day. My heart dropped as soon as I saw Pikeville on the call. I have to say, the minute I set foot on campus and met the faculty and students, I knew it was meant to be. It literally felt like I was right at home.

Knowing my luck, my Harvard interview invitation will be coming in right when I place my deposit for my spot. It'll feel good saying "Sorry, I'm going to Kentucky.":cool:

Congrats!! If you get another interview go! This school totally left me unimpressed.

Just got invited to an interview!!!!
Dec 4th
Any one have any tips?!?!

Secondary received just now. Is this school worth sending a secondary to, given it's Nov.?

3.58/3.35, 510

When did you submit your primary? I know they screen primaries so a secondary from them is a good sign. After I submitted my secondary their complete email said that they would update me about receiving an interview, rejection, or notify me that "no more spots are available". I would have to assume that sending you a secondary means there are still plenty of spots open, as it seems like they stop interviewing after accepting their quota. What I do know is that they won't "interview you for the waitlist" as some people are concerned with when getting late interviews from other schools.

You're grades definitely won't hold you back, but they are REALLY REALLY focused on their mission, so only submit the secondary if primary care is a serious consideration of yours, they seem damn good at weeding out those who just want to get in somewhere. That's not to say primary care is your only option, but as the student tour guide said while I was there, "Don't apply here if your goal is to lead the discipline as 'the next great innovator in neonatal microneurosurgery.".
I am interested in adolescent medicine and psychiatry, as far as primary care is concerned. I want to stay in the SE, but this isn't my 1st or even 2nd choice school. I was verified sometime last week and received my first secondary yesterday and this one, today. I suppose it's a good idea to full out every secondary I get.

I got an interview invite today! I'm so happy.

I'm gonna read through the entire thread when I get home, but does anyone have any advice or tips?
And is an ii at this time still pretty good? How many spots roughly are there available?

Plus, is anybody else interviewing soon?

Oh no. I got a problem.

I see that the only 2 days open for interviews are Dec 4 or 5th.
But I already have an interview scheduled at BCOM (New Mexico) for the 4th.

:(

Are there really no more interview dates? Any suggestions/advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest going ahead and get'r done ASAP then if you're even considering it, cause once the spots are filled, the invites stop. They won't send the courtesy II for a waitlist spot to a good candidate who applied late.
Yes they will. They accept for next year's class after this ear's fills up. That's their waitlist. That doesn't start till ~ April so now you're interviewing for accept, hold, or reject.

J, if you have acceptances to schools you prefer I wouldn't bother applying anywhere you don't have a real interest in. But if you haven't gotten any acceptances yet I'd do it. Like I said it's not too late until April.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes they will. They accept for next year's class after this ear's fills up. That's their waitlist. That doesn't start till ~ April so now you're interviewing for accept, hold, or reject.

J, if you have acceptances to schools you prefer I wouldn't bother applying anywhere you don't have a real interest in. But if you haven't gotten any acceptances yet I'd do it. Like I said it's not too late until April.
Thanks. I'm loathe to move that far from GA and my SO, but I'll do it if I must.

My other secondary is at PCOM-GA, my 1st choice. Maybe I'll get an II, soon.

Oh no. I got a problem.

I see that the only 2 days open for interviews are Dec 4 or 5th.
But I already have an interview scheduled at BCOM (New Mexico) for the 4th.

:(

Are there really no more interview dates? Any suggestions/advice?

The 4/5 will be the last interview day before students go on winter break. So I would honestly try to make it work for this set it if not you can call and they will move you back. I interviewed this time last year and they were telling us that they were half filled at that time.

The 4/5 will be the last interview day before students go on winter break. So I would honestly try to make it work for this set it if not you can call and they will move you back. I interviewed this time last year and they were telling us that they were half filled at that time.
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually contacted the admissions director. And he said that January dates will open/show up this Monday. So, I guess I'm going to just sign up for the first date in Jan. (I wish they had more dates in Dec.)

And to follow up and what you said, would it be pretty detrimental (and lower my chances a lot) if I interview in Jan.?
I mean, if by Jan they are only half-full then it's not so bad. But if they are pretty full, then I might have to doing some rescheduling asap.
Btw, do you think I should ask this question to the director (Collins)?

Thanks again!

Are there any current KYCOM students on this thread that could answer some questions about the school for me?

Are there any current KYCOM students on this thread that could answer some questions about the school for me?
Yeah I can.
Thanks for the feedback.

I actually contacted the admissions director. And he said that January dates will open/show up this Monday. So, I guess I'm going to just sign up for the first date in Jan. (I wish they had more dates in Dec.)

And to follow up and what you said, would it be pretty detrimental (and lower my chances a lot) if I interview in Jan.?
I mean, if by Jan they are only half-full then it's not so bad. But if they are pretty full, then I might have to doing some rescheduling asap.

Thanks again!
No you won't be hurt interviewing on the first date in January instead of the last in December.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks again!

Yeah unfortunately since they like to have students there for the interviews this is the last weekend possible. The second years will be done next Friday and first years the following Monday.
I think you will be fine! It's not worth rearranging everything.

I will be withdrawing my acceptance from this school in the upcoming days. It was a great school and really loved the atmosphere and the motivation/support the faculty provides for the students. Also loved the small town!! Hope my acceptance goes to someone on the WL as I was in that situation last year. Stick in there and it'll turn out great! Good luck to everyone!

Hello all,

I was late applying but I received a secondary and submitted. 26 MCAT , 3.79 GPA and I'm in state. What are my chances? I am a straight shooter so tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Hello all,

I was late applying but I received a secondary and submitted. 26 MCAT , 3.79 GPA and I'm in state. What are my chances? I am a straight shooter so tell me what you think.

Thanks.
If you fit the mission in your secondaries you stand a very good chance.
Well in that case I retract my uninformed opinion and apologize, woops. I made a poor assumption based off of what I read in the secondary about being notified that "no more interview spots available" was a possibility when hearing about your status after they review your application. Is it really possible to get accepted off the waitlist to the class entering in 2017? I've never heard of that before.
Yes that's what they do. There is no chance of being put on a wait list until this class is full. If you're interviewing now you're interviewing for accept, reject, or hold. I was actually put on hold because they wanted my senior year fall semester grades. I was then accepted in February, not for the waitlist. And then its their way of doing the wait list because if they want you they want you, so they offer you a spot in the 2017 class with the chance to move into the 2016 classes. I think there are a couple others that do this, but I don't know off the top of my head.

They do things a little differently as long as it hasn't change from this year (2015). A few have mentioned it. This is how it happened for me. I did not interview until late March 2015. They did not have a traditional waitlist. My acceptance letter was for the class of 2016 that graduates in 2020. They used those acceptances to fill spots for the class that started in July 2015 and graduates in 2019. My email for the interview invite said the class was nearly full, and I could be offered a spot into next year's class with the possibility of joining the summer's class. Thus, next year meant 2016 start and the summer's class was 2015. So I did not get a call to join the class that started in July so I have a year off and start July 2016.

Last edited:
Anyone know who I can contact about my app? I submitted it mid-late November and it's claiming it has not been complete yet even though everything is received.

I would get so anxious knowing that I don't leave for school for a year and a half! Unless I purposely deferred but I'm getting antsy just sitting around for the next 7 months. There's a part of me that almost wants to just move to Pikeville now and spend the next 7 months with a fat lip of Copenhagen, a Hamms in my hand, spending the mornings fishing and the afternoons golfing.
Nope nope. You'd get bored in about a month lol

It probably doesn't matter, but should there be any preference on having either a Friday interview or on Sat? Both days work for me, but I was just wondering like if i would get more out of the experience on a weekday vs a weekend day.

Thanks.

It probably doesn't matter, but should there be any preference on having either a Friday interview or on Sat? Both days work for me, but I was just wondering like if i would get more out of the experience on a weekday vs a weekend day.

Thanks.
Nah, I don't think it matters.

Interview thoughts:

This school might be a hidden gem. They have some faculty in leadership positions in some high places (the dean is the president-elect of the AOA and led the ACGME-AOA merger). The Coal Building is fantastic, and has all the latest and greatest technology. If you don't like being in a small town (Pikeville actually isn't that small of a town) you can get through your first two years, and do your rotations so you "never" have to come back. They have an outstanding affiliation with a large trama I hospital down the road, which many osteopathic schools don't have.

This school is very mission oriented, so include something about helping the underserved population in your application/interview. Because they are so mission oriented, they sacrifice accepting applicants with higher stats and grades. I got the sense that they are still trying to fulfill this "helping the underserved" mission, but they may make a push to increase their stats. They want to become a higher quality medical school, and have the right people in leadership positions here. As a side note, I was told they have some really great professors, as in top professors in the country, and some professors that aren't so great.

Overall I left with positive outlook about this school.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question about the logistics of traveling to KYCOM.

For those who were OOS interviewees, what did you guys do?
As in, which airport did you land at? How did you get to your hotel from the airport? And which hotel is good/cheap/nearby the school itself?

I'd be coming in from PA. And I'll either land at the Lexington, KY airport or at the Charleston, WV airport. (Is either better?)
But from that point, I really don't know much. Either way from both airports, the drive is almost 2hrs to Pikeville.

Thanks!

Oh, and is anybody here attending the spot on Jan 8th?

Interview thoughts:

This school might be a hidden gem. They have some faculty in leadership positions in some high places (the dean is the president-elect of the AOA and led the ACGME-AOA merger). The Coal Building is fantastic, and has all the latest and greatest technology. If you don't like being in a small town (Pikeville actually isn't that small of a town) you can get through your first two years, and do your rotations so you "never" have to come back. They have an outstanding affiliation with a large trama I hospital down the road, which many osteopathic schools don't have.

This school is very mission oriented, so include something about helping the underserved population in your application/interview. Because they are so mission oriented, they sacrifice accepting applicants with higher stats and grades. I got the sense that they are still trying to fulfill this "helping the underserved" mission, but they may make a push to increase their stats. They want to become a higher quality medical school, and have the right people in leadership positions here. As a side note, I was told they have some really great professors, as in top professors in the country, and some professors that aren't so great.

Overall I left with positive outlook about this school.

I was told," Oh dont worry guys! They aren't here to GRILL you, but to get to know your personality. Also, if you want extra points in your interview.....mention how you fit the mission" LOL I got GRILLLLLLLED by one of the interviewers during my interview when I tried to explain how I was driven to become a primary care physician and wanting work in an underserved area. I gave solid explanations and even recently shadowed a primary care D.O. who worked in a medically underserved area-- and even got a LOR! Nope....... no credit was given.

Im just n=1...... Your interview might be different because everyone is being reviewed by different faculty members. I just got unlucky and got the guy who came in LATE and forgot what room I was going to be interviewed in. I got the vibe he didn't want to come in on a Saturday morning to interview.

Overall, the building is niceeee. They have an open-door policy, and faculty are there to help! The students are very supportive and "family friendly." The KYCOM advantage is a neat package and a bonus if you're looking to save $$$. I didn't like the small town vibe, but that's me......if you ever been to BCOM.... the campus size of New Mexico State University is a bit larger than the town
(including UP-KYCOM!) But that will def help you stay focus......

As in, which airport did you land at? How did you get to your hotel from the airport? And which hotel is good/cheap/nearby the school itself?

I'd be coming in from PA. And I'll either land at the Lexington, KY airport or at the Charleston, WV airport. (Is either better?)
But from that point, I really don't know much. Either way from both airports, the drive is almost 2hrs to Pikeville.

Thanks!

A 2nd year medical student said the Charleston is the better airport to fly in, if you're trying to get to KYCOM.

Thanks!

Whichever airport is cheaper is where I would fly in to (usually charleston) they're about equal distance drive.
You're going to have to rent a car. There is no public transport to get you here.
As far as hotels go the Hilton and the Hampton are side by side and right across from the school. I stayed at the Hampton and was glad I did because I didn't have to worry on the day of the interview.

Whichever airport is cheaper is where I would fly in to (usually charleston) they're about equal distance drive.
You're going to have to rent a car. There is no public transport to get you here.
As far as hotels go the Hilton and the Hampton are side by side and right across from the school. I stayed at the Hampton and was glad I did because I didn't have to worry on the day of the interview.
Thanks! That helps a lot.

I was told," Oh dont worry guys! They aren't here to GRILL you, but to get to know your personality. Also, if you want extra points in your interview.....mention how you fit the mission" LOL I got GRILLLLLLLED by one of the interviewers during my interview when I tried to explain how I was driven to become a primary care physician and wanting work in an underserved area. I gave solid explanations and even recently shadowed a primary care D.O. who worked in a medically underserved area-- and even got a LOR! Nope....... no credit was given.

Im just n=1...... Your interview might be different because everyone is being reviewed by different faculty members. I just got unlucky and got the guy who came in LATE and forgot what room I was going to be interviewed in. I got the vibe he didn't want to come in on a Saturday morning to interview.

Overall, the building is niceeee. They have an open-door policy, and faculty are there to help! The students are very supportive and "family friendly." The KYCOM advantage is a neat package and a bonus if you're looking to save $$$. I didn't like the small town vibe, but that's me......if you ever been to BCOM.... the campus size of New Mexico State University is a bit larger than the town
(including UP-KYCOM!) But that will def help you stay focus......

I had the same feeling with my interview. One of my interviewers was super nice, but the other one really grilled me and made me feel super uncomfortable. I got so flustered that it was definitely not a great interview for me. The other interviewer actually apologized after the interview. But, this was also completely different than most others said. I guess you just get the luck of the draw!

Does Pikeville have a simulation lab? I don't remember seeing one during my interview day tour but can't remember if students mentioned one or not.

I had the same feeling with my interview. One of my interviewers was super nice, but the other one really grilled me and made me feel super uncomfortable. I got so flustered that it was definitely not a great interview for me. The other interviewer actually apologized after the interview. But, this was also completely different than most others said. I guess you just get the luck of the draw!

Pretty much summed up my interview and day-- minus the last part of the video LOL

Does Pikeville have a simulation lab? I don't remember seeing one during my interview day tour but can't remember if students mentioned one or not.

Yes, they do.

When does the admissions committee review applications? Tuesday's? I've been complete a few days now. Thanks.

Yes they do! I believe we have 1 or 2 full size sims and one baby. Then we have a half sim that does heart and lungs. This was the only one we have used this semester

Do any current students know what the COMLEX Level 1 pass rates have been? I could find COMLEX 3 on the website, but not any others. I heard rumors that it was below the national average. I really loved this school when I interviewed, but I'm a bit worried about this =/

Do any current students know what the COMLEX Level 1 pass rates have been? I could find COMLEX 3 on the website, but not any others. I heard rumors that it was below the national average. I really loved this school when I interviewed, but I'm a bit worried about this =/

One of my questions to my interviewers were the time given for the students to study for the comlex/step 1. They didn't have an absolute answer but had guessed it was 6 weeks or a month.

When does the admissions committee review applications? Tuesday's? I've been complete a few days now. Thanks.

I called today and was told that if the committee is reviewing your file, you should hear something hopefully by the end of the week!

I called today and was told that if the committee is reviewing your file, you should hear something hopefully by the end of the week!
That's if you just interviewed, correct?
I don't think a committee reviews your file pre interview....

Mr. Collins said the committee was meeting this week to offer interviews for applicants for the January II slots. That's what he said almost verbatim to me today, so I'm not 100% sure.

Not to sound smart, but don't they need to review your file to determine an II? It doesn't make sense to me they would just send out invites based strictly on numbers without looking at the whole body of work. The interview seems to me like the final piece of the puzzle and they determine whether you fit or not.

This is just me rambling of course.

Not to sound smart, but don't they need to review your file to determine an II? It doesn't make sense to me they would just send out invites based strictly on numbers without looking at the whole body of work. The interview seems to me like the final piece of the puzzle and they determine whether you fit or not.

This is just me rambling of course.
I've always thought it's just the 2 people who work in the admissions office deciding on whether to give out an interview, and then a committee meets post II and decided whether to accept you or not.

I don't think they're looking at just numbers pre interview but a very general "ok they could fit" or "ok they don't".
I could be very wrong, but we had to cancel the first interview date because Ronnie was backed up reviewing applications.