University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you guys submit secondaries?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a complete and under review!

Got a complete and in review, but I just talked to Ronnie and they screen 498 and above....I have a 496 ugh

Kinda want to know what is OOS chances. Aparently in the email Ronnie said they favor Appalachian area's applications.

Reactions: 1 user
Kinda want to know what is OOS chances. Aparently in the email Ronnie said they favor Appalachian area's applications.

I would say that if you aren't from Appalachia (or states adjacent to Kentucky) or aren't interested in rural primary care you should not apply here.

However, I would say that if you aren't from Appalachia, but are very interested in working in the region they would consider your app seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that if you aren't from Appalachia (or states adjacent to Kentucky) or aren't interested in rural primary care you should not apply here.

However, I would say that if you aren't from Appalachia, but are very interested in working in the region they would consider your app seriously.

There's an instate bias but they definitely accept plenty of people from out of state.
Don't have to be interested in practicing in Appalachia, just express an interest in primary care.

Reactions: 1 users
Is that for all schools or just UP-KYCOM?! Have you had your scores sent from AAMC to AACOMAS?

There is an issue with my MCAT, it has the wrong birthdate so AACOMAS refuses to recognize it. It's a two week process through AAMC to get it fixed. I should be fine for the application cycle, since most DO schools don't interview until sept-October. Worst case scenario it is fixed by the end of next week.

Just submitted my secondary. Fingers crossed! Does anyone know what the average MCAT is for this school?

Just submitted my secondary. Fingers crossed! Does anyone know what the average MCAT is for this school?

I spoke to Ronnie Collins and he said the average for acceptance is 3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and a 502 MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know a minimum science gpa?

Got a complete and in review, but I just talked to Ronnie and they screen 498 and above....I have a 496 ugh

Welp, I have a 497 and even though I qualified for fee assistance through aacomas, it really feels like I wasted a spot on KYCOM.

Honestly, I wish schools would be transparent about these kinds of things. It would help both prospective applicants (by not spending time filling out secondaries / giving hope) and the school's system (by not overtaxing it with applications that wouldn't make it past the screening process).

Oh well, maybe KYCOM will look at my entire application. *Crosses fingers*

Hey if anyone could link me the secondary id really appreciate it :)
My laptop was stolen recently and due to a lot of email tech issues I'm unable to access my older emails from any other computer/website.

Hey if anyone could link me the secondary id really appreciate it :)
My laptop was stolen recently and due to a lot of email tech issues I'm unable to access my older emails from any other computer/website.

Email Ronnie Collins and he will send you a new one

They'll send out interviews 2 weeks in advance of the date. There were none scheduled for August and I don't know if any are yet to be scheduled for September. But I'm pretty positive they won't schedule them before the White Coat Ceremony weekend on the 10th, honestly I wouldn't expect to hear anything before then.

They'll send out interviews 2 weeks in advance of the date. There were none scheduled for August and I don't know if any are yet to be scheduled for September. But I'm pretty positive they won't schedule them before the White Coat Ceremony weekend on the 10th, honestly I wouldn't expect to hear anything before then.

I actually just got an email from Ronnie saying that the first batch is under review and the first interview date is on 10/15.

So first batch decisions will be sent out 9/2!

Good luck guys!

I actually just got an email from Ronnie saying that the first batch is under review and the first interview date is on 10/15.

So first batch decisions will be sent out 9/2!

Good luck guys!

Was that because you emailed him, or was it like an admissions email sent to everyone?

do they screen applicants before sending out secondary invites? If anyone know what the cut-offs are...

do they screen applicants before sending out secondary invites? If anyone know what the cut-offs are...

From previous posts I would guess and say that they do not prescreen too heavily pre-secondary. Post-secondary it has been said that they screen out MCATs below 500.

What do you mean "post secondary" screen?

Somebody posted in here that they spoke to Ronnie Collins and said they screen for MCAT and GPA post secondary before sending II's. Which I believe because I got this secondary the day I was verified without an MCAT score.

The majority of students are definitely from Kentucky/the surrounding area, but at least 50% of my class is OOS. It seems to me they get a fair number of students from Ohio/West Virginia/other neighboring states. Personally, I'm from Wisconisn and (obviously) had no problem getting in. Just make sure you speak towards the school's mission in your secondary/ interview.

Hi everyone! I'm a current third year at KYCOM, so I'm a bit removed from the application process at this point, but still remember a good chunk of it. Feel free to ask any questions @samac can't answer- particularly in regards to boards/rotations. Good luck to all of you!

Hi everyone! I'm a current third year at KYCOM, so I'm a bit removed from the application process at this point, but still remember a good chunk of it. Feel free to ask any questions @samac can't answer- particularly in regards to boards/rotations. Good luck to all of you!

As a third year, how are the rotations? Were you just thrown out to dry or did they actually provide you with a good clinical education?

As a third year, how are the rotations? Were you just thrown out to dry or did they actually provide you with a good clinical education?

Short answer: yes and no. No, I was not thrown out to dry by any means. My rotation site is solid, I'm learning what I need to learn, my preceptors are willing to teach me, and the other students/residents are super kind and helpful. However, I had to do my own research to make sure I wouldn't end up somewhere not learning anything. If I'm being brutally honest, I feel at a disadvantage compared to my MD significant other who had all kinds of specialty opportunities and other stuff that big MD schools can offer, but the day-to-day is very similar. Morning report, didactics weekly, reading assignments from preceptors, some doing really awesome stuff on your own (actually, I got to do some procedures that he still hasn't gotten to do), and a lot of standing around feeling awkward because you're the new kid who has no clue what you're doing/how their office works.

Long answer:
I can only speak for my site and my limited knowledge of the site one of my friends is at. But first, some background: During second year, you will be given a list of sites available with total number of openings per site. I would urge you to contact students at the sites you might be interested in and hearing specifics from them- the school makes a list of students and their contact info available. Research the town; research the hospital. Ask the students there specific questions: how many hours are you in didactics a week? What residency programs are available at the site? How prepared did your site make you feel for taking your COMATs/level 2? I think a lot of people get too focused on the area and not the quality of the program. While the area is definitely an important factor, the reason you're going to these rotations is to learn. As for the specific sites, I would say that my friend's site is without question superior to mine. She has more didactics, and there is a dedicated internal medicine residency program there which means learning in a more traditional med student- intern- resident- attending hierarchy. However, I am at one of the better sites (not that I'm biased at all or anything...) So, this is something you definitely want to be aware of at any school you apply to that sends students to multiple locations. So, virtually all DO schools.

The site I am at is shared with students from MSU-COM and DMU-COM; this in and of itself was something I looked at as MSU and DMU are some of the better DO schools out there. My site has a family medicine residency, and the residents do basically everything the med students do, so there is a bit of the med student- resident- attending hierarchy however, if a resident is on a specific service, the medical student will not be placed with that specific attending the same day/time. This means more one-on-one time with the attending. SO there are two ways this can go: one, you don't get yourself accustomed to the way hospitals work when you become a resident, or two, you ask the attending as many questions as possible/ask for additional readings/ how you can help. Wherever you go to med school, you are always going to be the awkward med student in the short white coat for a while- I believe when you don't have the resident between you and the attending, you need to pick up some of the slack where you can. On the particular rotation I'm on right now, I can be of use by helping clean the room after the patient visit (pull down the paper, make sure there's gloves/whatever supplies) so the MAs can focus on rooming the patients. It might sound menial and to be fair, I'm not 100% sure the doctors have any idea. However, I'm now on the good side of the MAs- which is never a bad place to be!

Another advantage of rotating at a community hospital is that people seem to look out for their own. What do I mean by this? Today we shared the specialties we were possibly interested in, and at the end of our morning report, I was approached by two students- one saying his roommate is president of the student chapter organization of one of the specialties I'm contemplating, and would I like to talk to them at all (I'm being vague because this person can obviously be easily identified) The second offered to take me to the emergency room after I finished for the day to introduce me to some of the attendings so I could get an idea of who they are/how things work there. I ended up staying there to talk about life in EM/how to prepare for applications/ life in general for a solid hour. To me, it's stuff like this that isn't going to make it into my evals or deans letter, nor is it helping me study for my shelf exam on Friday, but it's what reminds me I'm in the right spot. (*awww how delightfully corny*)

SO, back to the meat and potatoes of your question:
1. it is site-specific. Some students are working their asses off; one student worked 13-15 hour days for 19 days straight... I'm super glad I'm not at that site. But I bet they're learning a ton! Some students are working from 7:30-3 and that just is the nature of not being in a giant hospital. As a note, these are both surgery rotations.
2. Do your research- if you're on SDN, I wouldn't be too concerned as you're already leaps ahead of some of the students who matriculate in terms of seeking out information.
3. You are going to have to be okay with being a self-directed learner: finding what resources are best (SDN/Reddit is great for this), making yourself a schedule for studying/preparing for your shelf exams, and sticking to it. BUT you are going to have to do this anywhere you end up unless your school micro-manages everything (barf.)
4. Reach out and make connections early.
5. As with most of med school, it is what you make of it. If you try hard and show interest, people are going to be more willing to spend the time to teach you. Same as studying hard the first two years and being able to do well on your board exams.

Anyway, I tend to go for the lengthy replies, but hopefully I got to the root of what you were addressing. If not, or you feel I was too political (aka gave a non-answer), feel free to ask some more specifics. Always happy to help!

Reactions: 6 users
Short answer: yes and no. No, I was not thrown out to dry by any means. My rotation site is solid, I'm learning what I need to learn, my preceptors are willing to teach me, and the other students/residents are super kind and helpful. However, I had to do my own research to make sure I wouldn't end up somewhere not learning anything. If I'm being brutally honest, I feel at a disadvantage compared to my MD significant other who had all kinds of specialty opportunities and other stuff that big MD schools can offer, but the day-to-day is very similar. Morning report, didactics weekly, reading assignments from preceptors, some doing really awesome stuff on your own (actually, I got to do some procedures that he still hasn't gotten to do), and a lot of standing around feeling awkward because you're the new kid who has no clue what you're doing/how their office works.

Long answer:
I can only speak for my site and my limited knowledge of the site one of my friends is at. But first, some background: During second year, you will be given a list of sites available with total number of openings per site. I would urge you to contact students at the sites you might be interested in and hearing specifics from them- the school makes a list of students and their contact info available. Research the town; research the hospital. Ask the students there specific questions: how many hours are you in didactics a week? What residency programs are available at the site? How prepared did your site make you feel for taking your COMATs/level 2? I think a lot of people get too focused on the area and not the quality of the program. While the area is definitely an important factor, the reason you're going to these rotations is to learn. As for the specific sites, I would say that my friend's site is without question superior to mine. She has more didactics, and there is a dedicated internal medicine residency program there which means learning in a more traditional med student- intern- resident- attending hierarchy. However, I am at one of the better sites (not that I'm biased at all or anything...) So, this is something you definitely want to be aware of at any school you apply to that sends students to multiple locations. So, virtually all DO schools.

The site I am at is shared with students from MSU-COM and DMU-COM; this in and of itself was something I looked at as MSU and DMU are some of the better DO schools out there. My site has a family medicine residency, and the residents do basically everything the med students do, so there is a bit of the med student- resident- attending hierarchy however, if a resident is on a specific service, the medical student will not be placed with that specific attending the same day/time. This means more one-on-one time with the attending. SO there are two ways this can go: one, you don't get yourself accustomed to the way hospitals work when you become a resident, or two, you ask the attending as many questions as possible/ask for additional readings/ how you can help. Wherever you go to med school, you are always going to be the awkward med student in the short white coat for a while- I believe when you don't have the resident between you and the attending, you need to pick up some of the slack where you can. On the particular rotation I'm on right now, I can be of use by helping clean the room after the patient visit (pull down the paper, make sure there's gloves/whatever supplies) so the MAs can focus on rooming the patients. It might sound menial and to be fair, I'm not 100% sure the doctors have any idea. However, I'm now on the good side of the MAs- which is never a bad place to be!

Another advantage of rotating at a community hospital is that people seem to look out for their own. What do I mean by this? Today we shared the specialties we were possibly interested in, and at the end of our morning report, I was approached by two students- one saying his roommate is president of the student chapter organization of one of the specialties I'm contemplating, and would I like to talk to them at all (I'm being vague because this person can obviously be easily identified) The second offered to take me to the emergency room after I finished for the day to introduce me to some of the attendings so I could get an idea of who they are/how things work there. I ended up staying there to talk about life in EM/how to prepare for applications/ life in general for a solid hour. To me, it's stuff like this that isn't going to make it into my evals or deans letter, nor is it helping me study for my shelf exam on Friday, but it's what reminds me I'm in the right spot. (*awww how delightfully corny*)

SO, back to the meat and potatoes of your question:
1. it is site-specific. Some students are working their asses off; one student worked 13-15 hour days for 19 days straight... I'm super glad I'm not at that site. But I bet they're learning a ton! Some students are working from 7:30-3 and that just is the nature of not being in a giant hospital. As a note, these are both surgery rotations.
2. Do your research- if you're on SDN, I wouldn't be too concerned as you're already leaps ahead of some of the students who matriculate in terms of seeking out information.
3. You are going to have to be okay with being a self-directed learner: finding what resources are best (SDN/Reddit is great for this), making yourself a schedule for studying/preparing for your shelf exams, and sticking to it. BUT you are going to have to do this anywhere you end up unless your school micro-manages everything (barf.)
4. Reach out and make connections early.
5. As with most of med school, it is what you make of it. If you try hard and show interest, people are going to be more willing to spend the time to teach you. Same as studying hard the first two years and being able to do well on your board exams.

Anyway, I tend to go for the lengthy replies, but hopefully I got to the root of what you were addressing. If not, or you feel I was too political (aka gave a non-answer), feel free to ask some more specifics. Always happy to help!

So do you feel the state you do your rotations in is pretty indicative of where you will do your residency? As it stands now I would like to attend a IM residency near my home in TN. However I would still be interested in attending KYCOM as a DO surgeon I shadowed went there and he was hands down the best doctor DO or MD I ever met.

So essentially, by attending KYCOM, am I basically guaranteeing that I will spend 4-8 years in Kentucky?

So do you feel the state you do your rotations in is pretty indicative of where you will do your residency? As it stands now I would like to attend a IM residency near my home in TN. However I would still be interested in attending KYCOM as a DO surgeon I shadowed went there and he was hands down the best doctor DO or MD I ever met.

So essentially, by attending KYCOM, am I basically guaranteeing that I will spend 4-8 years in Kentucky?

No you're not. There are core rotations from Michigan to Mississippi and then you can set up electives anywhere. I have no intention of rotating or doing my residency in Ky.

No you're not. There are core rotations from Michigan to Mississippi and then you can set up electives anywhere. I have no intention of rotating or doing my residency in Ky.

Nice, any in TN? Would you have a list you could PM me?