University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So do you feel the state you do your rotations in is pretty indicative of where you will do your residency? As it stands now I would like to attend a IM residency near my home in TN. However I would still be interested in attending KYCOM as a DO surgeon I shadowed went there and he was hands down the best doctor DO or MD I ever met.

So essentially, by attending KYCOM, am I basically guaranteeing that I will spend 4-8 years in Kentucky?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Definitely not. I'm hoping to head back to the Midwest. As for sites in TN, there was one in Morristown for my class. On the KYCOM website there is a match list (just google KYCOM match list) that was recently updated with current data up to 2016. You can look up where in TN past students have matched- I believe there were multiple.

As for auditions, DO residencies currently weight those far heavier than MD. But with the merger I don't know how that will change. Regardless, showing a program how you work probably won't hurt. You will be able to go essentially wherever you'd like for a minimum of 4 months (technically 0 months I suppose), and potentially up to 11.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice! Have the rotations changed much in recent years?

Ehh, they change a little bit from year to year. There are also more spots than students to fill them so some sites tend to be more/less popular than others from year to year. One of the sites increased the number of spots there this year when they found out how many students were interested in going there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo! By email??

Congrats!! When were you complete? Also are you from the region? I heard they have a large regional bias so I was just curious.

Thank you! And yeah by email, I was complete maybe around 7/25 but I'm not 100% sure since I've lost my little sheet of complete dates lol. But I am not from the region actually, however I'm just about a 6hour drive away if that counts for anything lol

Thank you! And yeah by email, I was complete maybe around 7/25 but I'm not 100% sure since I've lost my little sheet of complete dates lol. But I am not from the region actually, however I'm just about a 6hour drive away if that counts for anything lol

I'm two hours away and this was the second secondary I completed in July! I hope I hear something soon!

Reactions: 1 users

What were your stats?

I was complete 8/02, hoping for some love! I really like the mission of this school.

Reactions: 1 user
3.25cGPA/3.4sGPA/505, and an app that screams primary care :) lol

3.5cGPA/3.42 sGPA/503

Basically all of my essays tie into the whole "rural primary care" aspect of the school

I hope I hear something soon! I really like this school!

Congrats by the way! I'm extremely jealous!

3.5cGPA/3.42 sGPA/503

Basically all of my essays tie into the whole "rural primary care" aspect of the school

I hope I hear something soon! I really like this school!

Congrats by the way! I'm extremely jealous!

I think you've got a good shot! And thank you, I'm very excited!

Btw the earliest available interview date was 10/15(love that this school does Saturday interviews), I'll be there Halloween weekend

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up.. I got an II and never knew about it. I coincidentally checked my portal today and the interview tab was there.

Check your portal periodically!

Reactions: 7 users
No. In my portal it said they sent one.. But I searched everywhere and couldn't find one. When I picked a date the same thing happened. Maybe my e-mail was typed incorrectly into their system or something. Not sure. Nothing in my junk mail either.

I also double checked my contact information in case it was my mistake somehow and everything looks ok. Oh well.

@kj8210

November 18th! Kinda late.. But my dad likes Kentucky and said he wanted me to choose a later date so he could come lol. You?

Darn I was hoping we'd run into eachother lol I have a feeling we will at some point this cycle.

October 29th! I'm happy it's finally an interview I can drive to lol saving on a plane ticket and taking the long haul

Darn I was hoping we'd run into eachother lol I have a feeling we will at some point this cycle.

October 29th! I'm happy it's finally an interview I can drive to lol saving on a plane ticket and taking the long haul

I hear you on that! It's a long drive but hey, at least it's not a $300 plane ticket.

I hope we run into each other as well at some point!

Any one having trouble with letters of rec? Unfortunately it took a month after I submitted the secondary for my school to upload my committee packet. Ive emailed ronnie twice but no dice.

Hey guys, I have a question about the letters of recommendation. I submitted my secondary on 8/14 but I am still waiting on my DO to submit his letter. I was wondering if we have to submit the letters directly to KYCOM or can we just leave them on AACOMAS and the admission office will pull the letters from there?

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone applying!

Do they send complete/under review emails? I submitted everything mid-August but haven't heard anything yet.

Do they send complete/under review emails? I submitted everything mid-August but haven't heard anything yet.

I never received a complete e-mail either. I called the admissions department, and the representative said that as long as you have green checks by everything on your portal, you are good to go.

Congrats on all the interviews! For some reason I stopped getting alerts on this thread, but I'm still around.

Just submitted my primary to this school and waiting on my secondary. I didn't even know about this school until I come across some posts on here. This seems like a great school!

If anyone on here is from Pikeville, I'd love to hear what you love most about the school and the area:)

I'm from Pikeville and go to undergrad at Upike if you have any questions bout the area :)
I love this area and I have an interview October 15th!

I'm from Pikeville and go to undergrad at Upike if you have any questions bout the area :)
I love this area and I have an interview October 15th!

What's the life outside of school like for students? Where do you guys go to hangout? What do you do for fun?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

What's the life outside of school like for students? Where do you guys go to hangout? What do you do for fun?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Honestly the town is small and there's not much to do here besides movies, bowling, hiking/fishing. My friends and I mostly hang out at each other's houses and go out some.we have bonfires, ride atvs it's country here

Honestly the town is small and there's not much to do here besides movies, bowling, hiking/fishing. My friends and I mostly hang out at each other's houses and go out some.we have bonfires, ride atvs it's country here

Whats the atmosphere at UPike like? Plenty of good places to study? How's the school gym? And im not sure if you'd know but what's the size/resources available at the nearby hospitals?

Thanks in advanced for the help :)!

There really isn't much to do here, as the other person said. but with the amount of time spent studying it isn't a huge deal. There's a couple bars that we go out to every now and then, I've watched a couple movies at the movie theater (but that theater is awful), and we usually just hang out at each other's apartments after block.

As far as the school goes most of the faculty care and will do everything they can to help you succeed which is nice. If you're into OMT our faculty is top notch, if you're not into it it's one 4 hr class a week that's a bit difficult to sit through but at least it's only once.

Right now I feel like I'm not going to be well prepared for my clinical rotations though as our clinical skills course just changed hands and she's done a complete overhaul on what used to be done and it's a bit of a mess right now, it won't be that way for you though.

Whats the atmosphere at UPike like? Plenty of good places to study? How's the school gym? And im not sure if you'd know but what's the size/resources available at the nearby hospitals?

Thanks in advanced for the help :)!

There isn't a school gym. Most people have
memberships at the Y.
The study space is crap to be honest. Not enough spaces, I study at home.
The atmosphere is just a college. I mean, it's laid back. Feels like most small universities. If you went somewhere small you'll get it.
It's a large hospital with decent resources, but rotations are everywhere. It doesn't matter for your first 2 years.

There really isn't much to do here, as the other person said. but with the amount of time spent studying it isn't a huge deal. There's a couple bars that we go out to every now and then, I've watched a couple movies at the movie theater (but that theater is awful), and we usually just hang out at each other's apartments after block.

As far as the school goes most of the faculty care and will do everything they can to help you succeed which is nice. If you're into OMT our faculty is top notch, if you're not into it it's one 4 hr class a week that's a bit difficult to sit through but at least it's only once.

Right now I feel like I'm not going to be well prepared for my clinical rotations though as our clinical skills course just changed hands and she's done a complete overhaul on what used to be done and it's a bit of a mess right now, it won't be that way for you though.

There isn't a school gym. Most people have
memberships at the Y.
The study space is crap to be honest. Not enough spaces, I study at home.
The atmosphere is just a college. I mean, it's laid back. Feels like most small universities. If you went somewhere small you'll get it.
It's a large hospital with decent resources, but rotations are everywhere. It doesn't matter for your first 2 years.

Thank you for the thorough response!

Third year here! Happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the pre clinical years and rotation sites.

Best of luck

Still waiting on my DO to submit his letter to finish the secondary... :dead: