University of Pitt and Chatham acceptences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PT grad 2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone :) I was wondering if anyone has heard from University of Pittsburgh and if so when did you submit your PTCAS app and how did they contact you? Also has anyone heard from Chatham? I attended the regular decision interview but have not heard back from them yet either. Do you know if they send letters out or emails?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello hello. Chatham and Pitt are
actually my number one and two schools. I heard back from both of them. I got into Chatham (nov 7 interview-dec 12 acceptance letter via snail mail). I also heard from Pitt and got waitlisted two Fridays ago. I called and Im In pretty good shape on the waitlist so I may get
an acceptance offer in a month or two. I'd say give Chatham a month and a
half after interview and Pitt took awhile so. Chatham had
60 kids interviewed for early decision so I don't know how many spots they filled yet but I sent in my deposit.

How many people were at the interview? What school would u want to go to more if u got into both and why? There was just something about Chatham I really enjoyed.

Hello hello. Chatham and Pitt are
actually my number one and two schools. I heard back from both of them. I got into Chatham (nov 7 interview-dec 12 acceptance letter via snail mail). I also heard from Pitt and got waitlisted two Fridays ago. I called and Im In pretty good shape on the waitlist so I may get
an acceptance offer in a month or two. I'd say give Chatham a month and a
half after interview and Pitt took awhile so. Chatham had
60 kids interviewed for early decision so I don't know how many spots they filled yet but I sent in my deposit.

How many people were at the interview? What school would u want to go to more if u got into both and why? There was just something about Chatham I really enjoyed.

Thanks for sharing the information, I appreciate it :) I am so impatient, I hate not knowing ha! I interview at chatham the 23rd of last month, they said they would notify us in 2 weeks so im getting antsy! There were 90 applicants there for regular decision.

Honestly, probably Chatham because Pitt is so expensive! I also heard a rumor that they have open enrollment and that they dont "plan" on graduating all 60 students initially admitted. Have you heard anything about this? Pitt has always been my dream school, just don't want to be that much in debt. Other than Chatham being cheaper I think I would enjoy the PBL. What about you?

So far I have only heard back from Ohio University, which they did offer me acceptance..so that was a relief!

Congrats on your acceptance :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They said 2 weeks for us and it ended up being over a month and I was going out of my mind haha. So just be patient on them. If you don't mind me asking what are your stats like and how did the view go. I know about 4 people who got into Chatham and I'll let u know if u are around what their statS were (if u want ). 90 applicants. Damn. We had enough to fill the whole class during early decision. So it sounds like they didn't get a
good turnout on the applicants sending in their deposits (which is good news for u). Chatham is cheaper and an added FYI if u work partime at upmc u get an added 20% automatic discount hehe so like 9k off tuition. Try to pick up a part time tech job before u go there they always have openings somewhere. Yea I liked the pbl and loved the new department facilities. I just didn't get a good vibe visiting Pitt. It wasn't the I can see myself here feeling. Chatham has
100% pass rate in less time so they still prepare u well all your getting is 2 semesters extra clinical from Pitt. Oh and Chatham is 1 mile away fro
Pitt and just started physical therapy about 10 years ago so who do u think they molded their program around...Pitts. And Chatham still does their clinicals at upmc so.

Last edited:
They said 2 weeks for us and it ended up being over a month and I was going out of my mind haha. So just be patient on them. If you don't mind me asking what are your stats like and how did the view go. I know about 4 people who got into Chatham and I'll let u know if u are around what their statS were (if u want ). 90 applicants. Damn. We had enough to fill the whole class during early decision. So it sounds like they didn't get a
good turnout on the applicants sending in their deposits (which is good news for u). Chatham is cheaper and an added FYI if u work partime at upmc u get an added 20% automatic discount hehe so like 9k off tuition. Try to pick up a part time tech job before u go there they always have openings somewhere. Yea I liked the pbl and loved the new department facilities. I just didn't get a good vibe visiting Pitt. It wasn't the I can see myself here feeling. Chatham has
100% pass rate in less time so they still prepare u well all your getting is 2 semesters extra clinical from Pitt. Oh and Chatham is 1 mile away fro
Pitt and just started physical therapy up 15 years ago so who do u think they molded their program around...Pitts. And Chatham still does their clinicals at upmc so.

Nice I will definitely look into that if I get in, anyway to save money and count me in! My stats:

GPA Overall 3.77 prereq: 3.6-3.7 somewhere in that range
About 200 observation hours and my overall GRE score was terrible 930 thanks to the verbal section!

Yeah and chatham is only 2.5 years, the sooner im done with school the better ha..Do you remember when you submitted PTCAS app?

Honestly, probably Chatham because Pitt is so expensive! I also heard a rumor that they have open enrollment and that they dont "plan" on graduating all 60 students initially admitted. Have you heard anything about this? Pitt has always been my dream school, just don't want to be that much in debt.

I'm not sure what you mean by "open enrolloment", but Pitt does do rolling admissions if that's what you meant.

As for planning on not graduating all of its students, no matter what school you choose, there is a high likelihood that at least someone is going to quit. My class at Pitt hasn't lost a single person. In contrast, I talked to a first year from another school, and she said they lost more than 15 people before 2nd semester. PT school is hard, people realize it's not for them, and sometimes people make stupid decisions; it happens everywhere. I wouldn't put any weight on that though. If you work hard and seek help when you need it, you would have nothing to worry about there.

Good luck with your decision- Pitt and Chatham were the only two schools I applied to and both have a lot to like.

Chatham is cheaper and an added FYI if u work partime at upmc u get an added 20% automatic discount hehe so like 9k off tuition. Try to pick up a part time tech job before u go there they always have openings somewhere.

Where did you hear about this? Is it a tuition discount via Chatham or tuition assistance via UPMC.

Ptgrad- your overall gpa is solid and so is your prereq. Observation hours are good above what both schools are asking for. And your gre is, well u already know that it's lower then u would like. We all had 1200+. HOWEVER. Haha. I feel if they invited u for the interview I feel as though you passed the gpa, gre, LoR and on hours part of the review. If not u wouldn't of gotten an interview. So if u nailed that and the written section your golden. I sent my application in august 05, all info was recieved by august 26 (dam lor).

Callmecrazy. I got their info from a pamplet Chatham sent me, their website, and on infonet.upmc/tuition. (I work there so u need a username and pass to access the infonet). If you google Chatham-corporate payment plans-20%discount and just dink around on the site you will find it. Plus on top of that upmc will give u $1750 per yer for working part time But u need to work a year after you stop recieveing money. (this program is call upmc tuition advancement for Chatham university). I figure I'd ask for assistance mr 1st and 2nd year and just don't accept anything 3rd year. Just doing some research applying all options.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "open enrolloment", but Pitt does do rolling admissions if that's what you meant.

As for planning on not graduating all of its students, no matter what school you choose, there is a high likelihood that at least someone is going to quit. My class at Pitt hasn't lost a single person. In contrast, I talked to a first year from another school, and she said they lost more than 15 people before 2nd semester. PT school is hard, people realize it's not for them, and sometimes people make stupid decisions; it happens everywhere. I wouldn't put any weight on that though. If you work hard and seek help when you need it, you would have nothing to worry about there.

Good luck with your decision- Pitt and Chatham were the only two schools I applied to and both have a lot to like.

Just adding to what callmecrazy said, I believe the class of 2011 from PITT probably lost around 10% of their students since they started. But I believe none of those were because they failed the course or anything like that, they just realized that PT wasn't for them and decided to leave the program.

I applied to Chatham but never got to go visit, so I dont have an opinion about them. However, I remember from their website that it seemed like it would be a neat and small program. The one thing that I was concerned if worked or not was the PBL, but it seems like you like it.

Best of luck to both of you!

*bump*

Wondering what average wait time is?

Both schools have said they received my application... Will I hear something before their deadlines or do I have to wait around 'til December?

I would expect to hear from Pitt in December at the earliest, though if you aren't in the first round of acceptances/rejections you will probably have to wait longer.

Did you apply to Chatham early decision? You will receive an interview invitation for either the early or regular decision interview. If you applied for the regular decision, I am not sure when they send out those invites, but for early decision you could get invited up until the week before the interview (which is what some people experienced last year).

I only applied (and was accepted) to those two schools last year so let me know if you have any questions!

I would expect to hear from Pitt in December at the earliest, though if you aren't in the first round of acceptances/rejections you will probably have to wait longer.

During my round of applications, they were still just reviewing some apps in April. I was complete before December, and when I called in April they told me they still had a lot of apps they hadn't even touched yet (including mine). That was the first year for PTCAS though, so hopefully they've improved their efficiency since then! I was accepted though, so be patient!

Did you apply to Chatham early decision? You will receive an interview invitation for either the early or regular decision interview. If you applied for the regular decision, I am not sure when they send out those invites, but for early decision you could get invited up until the week before the interview (which is what some people experienced last year).

I only applied (and was accepted) to those two schools last year so let me know if you have any questions!

I had emailed Chatham about whether I had met the early decision deadline. (Never heard anything back) Only because they had contacted me on Oct 14th saying they had received my application, but PTCAS had mailed it out around Sept 21st (If I'm remembering correctly).

Early interview is Nov. 13 (which is also Pitt's Open House day, which I would like to attend since everyone says about how different Chatham and Pitt are...) and haven't heard anything yet. :xf:

I'm going to Chatham's open house this weekend, though!

I just want to get accepted somewhere so badly. This is my plan B and I don't have a plan C if this doesn't pan out!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just want to get accepted somewhere so badly. This is my plan B and I don't have a plan C if this doesn't pan out!

What do you mean. Plan B as in......career? I agree with you here, PT is plan A and B. I dont have a Plan C. If I did, I probably wouldn't be on this message board anymore.

What do you mean. Plan B as in......career? I agree with you here, PT is plan A and B. I dont have a Plan C. If I did, I probably wouldn't be on this message board anymore.

Yes, Plan B. Haha. My original degree was in education, but I decided I didn't want to pursue that anymore, thus I had my mid-life crisis at 24 and now PT is where I'm headed.

(For others reading --- Wow, this makes it sound like I just randomly chose PT, but I really did put a lot of thought into it... graduated with my education degree in 2007 when I was 21 and made the decision at age 24.... 25 now, will be 26 when I start if I get accepted).

But yeah, I don't know what I'll do as Plan C. All my friends are getting married, buying houses, settling down and I don't want to seem like I'm always chasing a dream. I always thought I'd be stable and the thought of instability really drives me bonkers. And right now, without knowing if I'm accepted somewhere or not, I am instability-city!!

(Again, for others who may be reading... I'm a strong applicant (at least I think so) and I don't see how I could improve myself as an applicant. I've gotten all A's and maybe like 3 Bs in my classes, so I'm not going to re-take classes (and add in more debt) and I've done a lot of studying with the GRE and can't really bump my score up, so I'm at my limit.)

This is my potential, they can take it or leave it.

And if they leave it, I'm moving to Aruba to sell margaritas.

Yes, Plan B. Haha. My original degree was in education, but I decided I didn't want to pursue that anymore, thus I had my mid-life crisis at 24 and now PT is where I'm headed.

(For others reading --- Wow, this makes it sound like I just randomly chose PT, but I really did put a lot of thought into it... graduated with my education degree in 2007 when I was 21 and made the decision at age 24.... 25 now, will be 26 when I start if I get accepted).

But yeah, I don't know what I'll do as Plan C. All my friends are getting married, buying houses, settling down and I don't want to seem like I'm always chasing a dream. I always thought I'd be stable and the thought of instability really drives me bonkers. And right now, without knowing if I'm accepted somewhere or not, I am instability-city!!

(Again, for others who may be reading... I'm a strong applicant (at least I think so) and I don't see how I could improve myself as an applicant. I've gotten all A's and maybe like 3 Bs in my classes, so I'm not going to re-take classes (and add in more debt) and I've done a lot of studying with the GRE and can't really bump my score up, so I'm at my limit.)

Man I am so with you...on alot of your points. I'm beginning to go a bit crazy with all of this uncertainty. I've applied to 7 schools, but Pitt is my #1 choice. I've begun to freak out as well, because not getting into Pitt will mean me moving away from my wife since she's headed there next year as well for a different program... Wish you luck!

I had my quarter life crisis this past January (at 24, but we will be the same age when PT school starts) and bought a motorcycle with the money I was saving for PT school. It's been my plan all along but I just never got in the first time and decided to live with no regrets and try again.

Looking at your stats you shouldn't be worried.

I got an email this morning inviting me to Chatham's early decision interview! :)

One step in the right direction!

Although, the interview date is the same day as Pitt's open house, so now I can't go to Pitt's open house. :mad: I'm going to see if I can go visit them somehow, otherwise... Although, I really don't want to have to take off a day of work to do it...

Congrats on the interview! Aside from being stressful because it's an interview, it is actually a pretty fun experience! I will be there with some other 1st years giving tours of the building, so see you then!

Also, I wanted to add that as far as Chatham is concerned, you could be accepted as late as July/August. Some of my classmates got last minute acceptances.

The same thing happened to me last year with Chatham's interview and Pitt's Open House. So annoying!!!!!!

Got my acceptance e-mail from Pitt this morning!

Got my acceptance e-mail from Pitt this morning!

Wow!! Awesome :) :thumbup::thumbup:

When did you send your app in? I think mine just got to them about 2 weeks ago, so all I've heard from Pitt is that it's under review!

Congrats on the interview! Aside from being stressful because it's an interview, it is actually a pretty fun experience! I will be there with some other 1st years giving tours of the building, so see you then!

Awesome! :) I'm also looking forward to the open house tomorrow!

Markel,

PTCAS sent my app out 9/28 and I submitted 9/12. I didn't hear anything from Pittsburgh (even a reception of my app) until my acceptance e-mail today, so it was pretty unexpected. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:xf:

I didn't hear anything from Pittsburgh (even a reception of my app) until my acceptance e-mail today, so it was pretty unexpected. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!:xf:

A great unexpected email, though! We both ended up with a good day! :) :)

If I remember correctly, you applied to some schools all over-- it would be cool if I got accepted/you chose Pitt and then we were classmates! ;)

Our stats are the same, although your GRE (verbal/quant) score is higher (same for writing), so kudos to you! You kicked its butt! :)

A great unexpected email, though! We both ended up with a good day! :) :)

If I remember correctly, you applied to some schools all over-- it would be cool if I got accepted/you chose Pitt and then we were classmates! ;)

Our stats are the same, although your GRE (verbal/quant) score is higher (same for writing), so kudos to you! You kicked its butt! :)

Absolutely! I did apply all over (as I got more worried about getting in, I added more to the list), but Pitt's my first choice and I plan on accepting there. I wish you the best and hope you get your first choice! Keep me (and the rest of us) updated!

Also, I wanted to add that as far as Chatham is concerned, you could be accepted as late as July/August. Some of my classmates got last minute acceptances.

The same thing happened to me last year with Chatham's interview and Pitt's Open House. So annoying!!!!!!

Chatham's open house was great, it seems like a really, really good fit for me and my personality. I'm really looking forward to the interview :)

And, I was the only one at the open house who had applied and got an invite to the early decision interview, so I was pretty excited about that! (There were about... 15 students there, all but 1 or 2 had put their applications in). And Chatham's main campus is absolutely gorgeous. I had never been up into campus, but wow. It's breath-taking up there!

Last edited: