University of Pittsburgh Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PocketAces5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Filled out their supplemental and submitted. Wondering if anyone else is applying now even though they don't have rolling admissions??? I am OOS and not a UPitt undergrad. I've read some of the other past forums regarding preference given to instate as well as undergrad Pitt students...

Members don't see this ad.

Filled out their supplemental and submitted. Wondering if anyone else is applying now even though they don't have rolling admissions??? I am OOS and not a UPitt undergrad. I've read some of the other past forums regarding preference given to instate as well as undergrad Pitt students...

Yeah I haven't heard about that, but I apply here as well

Members don't see this ad :)
I just filled out the supplemental too! I'm a Pitt undergrad and PA resident, but Pitt is super competitive. I'm not too confident that I'll get in, knowing how competitive the Pharm school is. Also, I've spent my whole life in Pittsburgh and would like a change of environment, so Pitt is not my top choice. But if I got in, I think I'd have a hard time saying no, so I'm kind of torn!

I just filled out the supplemental too! I'm a Pitt undergrad and PA resident, but Pitt is super competitive. I'm not too confident that I'll get in, knowing how competitive the Pharm school is. Also, I've spent my whole life in Pittsburgh and would like a change of environment, so Pitt is not my top choice. But if I got in, I think I'd have a hard time saying no, so I'm kind of torn!

Nice! Are you a pre-pharmacy major? Also what are you stats if you don't mind? Hopefully coming from UPitt as an undergrad and living in-state will give you an advantage

Nice! Are you a pre-pharmacy major? Also what are you stats if you don't mind? Hopefully coming from UPitt as an undergrad and living in-state will give you an advantage
Yeah, I'm pre-pharm, don't have a degree or anything. My composite PCAT is 89, GPA is 3.45, math and science GPA is 3.0. What about you?

Yeah, I'm pre-pharm, don't have a degree or anything. My composite PCAT is 89, GPA is 3.45, math and science GPA is 3.0. What about you?

Nice! 89 composite, 3.6 cumulative, 3.6 math/science gpa

I also applied. Im an out of state student that went to a large public research university.
3.98 Cumulative GPA
4.0 Science/Math
99 PCAT composite

I understand that preference is given to UPitt students and PA residents. Im hoping at least for an interview.

hi what study materials did you use for the PCAT

I also applied. Im an out of state student that went to a large public research university.
3.98 Cumulative GPA
4.0 Science/Math
99 PCAT composite

I understand that preference is given to UPitt students and PA residents. Im hoping at least for an interview.

Looks like you left some room for improvement.

3.26 cumulative gpa
3.52 science gpa
92 PCAT

Hate being on the lower end of the gpa spectrum since the average for their entering class is a 3.6. Hopefully I can add in my grades for the fall semester before they review applications. I'll be over a 3.3. at least by then.

And if they do favor instate students, I'll have that going for me.

Yeah, OOS applicant as well but not too hopeful. I don't know if my GPA will be considered to my benefit at 3.71 because I have an average PCAT, but Pittsburgh is one of my top choices. I just finished the supplemental today and once my last transcript makes it to the PharmCAS everything can be submitted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, OOS applicant as well but not too hopeful. My PCAT was average at 72, and I don't know if my GPA will be considered to my benefit at 3.85, but Pittsburgh is my top choice. I just finished the supplemental today, and once my last transcript makes it to the PharmCAS everything can be submitted.

Glad to hear! I just got an email two weeks ago. saying they are starting to look at applications now and review all the materials, but interviews wouldn't begin until february or later

Hey guys! So it seems like University of Pittsburgh is really competitive..
My GPA is a 3.15 which I know is low, but I my PCAT is an 85. Do you guys think I have a chance? I don't feel to confident when looking at my stats.. =/

I'm planning on applying to Pitt too. I'm cutting it close to the Dec 3 deadline, but I should be ok. I have about a 3.4 and scored a 70 on the PCAT the first round. The second try (with the help of a kaplan course) got a 96! Was wondering if i'm in the average pool of applicants with those stats and is there a supplemental essay for Pitt?

There is not an "official" supplemental essay in the supplemental application. There was an optional essay within the supplemental application, which was to be used to justify/explain discrepancies between your grades and standardized testing scores (the essay could also be used to explain other circumstances which impacted your undergraduate performance). Best of Luck!

Got an interview invite at 630am this morning for December 17th!

So excited for you all!

Great job guys! Was it by phone?

I applied for open admission because I do not attend Pitt for undergrad. The notification was through email.

Heard through email. i'm OOS student & never attended UPitt or any penn school for that matter

This is a really silly question, but is there an e-mail address that you guys use to correspond with the PharmD admissions? I have tried literally every e-mail address on the website and I never get any responses back... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Best of luck to everyone in the application process!

congratulations to the invites! :)

I am a little confused, I thought Pitt was NOT rolling admissions. Why would they send out invites early if the due date is still in January? Can anyone clear this up for me? I am applying here but haven't finished the supplemental. I guess I am questioning what to write for the essay. Someone said it was OPTIONAL?

Thanks. Good luck on the interviews! :)

congratulations to the invites! :)

I am a little confused, I thought Pitt was NOT rolling admissions. Why would they send out invites early if the due date is still in January? Can anyone clear this up for me? I am applying here but haven't finished the supplemental. I guess I am questioning what to write for the essay. Someone said it was OPTIONAL?

Thanks. Good luck on the interviews! :)

I'm not familiar with the process either and was surprised by the early interview invite, especially for december. On the website it states interviews will begin in January, so I"m not sure. It is not rolling admissions though. So even though there are early interview invites, no admissions decisions will be made until between March-April the website says, after all applicants have been interviewed. If it was rolling admissions, I think they would make decisions on each batch within a couple weeks of each interview. I'm not totally sure though. For the supplemental essay, I didn't write anything.

Thanks for the quick reply and good info Pocket. I was stalling because I didn't know how to approach the essay because my grades are good besides 1 "C" (not trying to boast). I was thinking like... "Yes, it does show my greatest effort because I worked hard and blah blah blah." Which I was not sure would turn into a good essay. Haha. But if it's optional I think I am ready to submit!

Can anyone tell me how the interview process works? I applied to Pitt as a non-resident back in September and I am confused why people have already gotten interviews when we aren't suppose to hear back until January I thought?

Can anyone tell me how the interview process works? I applied to Pitt as a non-resident back in September and I am confused why people have already gotten interviews when we aren't suppose to hear back until January I thought?

Not sure. I applied in august as soon as it allowed me to apply. I"m also non-resident, non-pitt student. The website states that interviews start in January too, so i'm not sure. I had three dates to pick from, 1 in december and 2 in january. I changed and picked the January 28th date since it was easier for my schedule.

Not sure about their interview process. I was given four dates between January and February to choose from to interview. January 22nd was the best day for me with my schedule. Hopefully the weather isn't too terrible. I'm a PA resident, but from very far away from Pittsburgh.

Hey YALL!

I have a quick question... No one had to physically mail anything in, correct? I just submitted everything and paid online.... but some of their prompts have me worried that I have to print out and mail stuff in physically?

:) Thanks in advance

and do we have to send our scores directly from PCAT to Pitt? or is just sending pharmcas OK?

Hey YALL!

I have a quick question... No one had to physically mail anything in, correct? I just submitted everything and paid online.... but some of their prompts have me worried that I have to print out and mail stuff in physically?

:) Thanks in advance

Nope, just the online supplemental! Also, all you need to do is send your PCAT scores to PharmCAS code 104. I really on't know why they give you the option to send it specifically to all the schools when you just have to send to Pharmcas for 90% of the programs.

Which prompts have you worried about mailing stuff?

Thank you! I don't know when I paid and it said "print the receipt to mail...." I know I was probably second guessing myself. Just wanted to make sure ;) thanks!

The program has a competitive edge, since numerous opportunities are available through UPMC. If you are unfamiliar with the area / school, I would arrive a few minutes early because the college of pharmacy and college of dentistry share Salk Hall. The interview process was exactly as stated by admissions: met with current students, took a short tour, then interviewed. I was not able to get a definitive answer when notifications were to be sent out. It may be a while before any decisions are finalized; we will just have to wait and see. Best of luck to everyone!

Exactly, I hope now that my application is mailed they might take a look at me, but I know I have slim chances. I am so excited for you, and I will continue to be happy for everyone on this thread!

According to pharmcas,

Estimated number interviewed for fall 2012 entering class: 176
Estimated number accepted for fall 2012 entering class: 130

Does this mean whoever receives an interview invitation has a high chance of acceptance?

According to pharmcas,

Estimated number interviewed for fall 2012 entering class: 176
Estimated number accepted for fall 2012 entering class: 130

Does this mean whoever receives an interview invitation has a high chance of acceptance?

The university will interview only those individuals they are willing to accept into their program. In most situations, the interview is not going to help an applicant's profile; it can only hurt your chances of gaining admission if it does not go well. Pitt has a fair number of conditional applicants that are accepted every year, which limits the number of students that can be accepted for open admission. There were a decent amount of open admission students and applicants that I talked during the interview day, so it seems to not be much of a disadvantage. As long as the interview process goes alright, you stand a good chance of acceptance. Good luck!

For anyone who has interviewed, did they explain how the loans work for the first and second years? Because I believe they consider those years as undergrad instead of post graduate.

For anyone who has interviewed, did they explain how the loans work for the first and second years? Because I believe they consider those years as undergrad instead of post graduate.

The interview day is composed of an Q&A session with current students, a short tour, and an interview. The Q & A session is informal. The students talk mostly about the curriculum and other opportunities at the university. If you have a question regarding financial aid, I would direct your question toward admissions who will be able direct your question to the right individual. If financial aid works the same way as other universities, then the number of credit hours completed before entrance into the PharmD curriculum will be taken into consideration to calculate financial aid. Certain loan programs require a minimum number of credit hours completed before the coursework is considered graduate level. I would email the university to see that your question is answered thoroughly and correctly.

Got an invite! :) Any OOS-ers that flew in? Can you tell me about taxi/driving to the school? Or any in state people that know what it is like?

This will be my first time traveling alone.....

Got an invite! :) Any OOS-ers that flew in? Can you tell me about taxi/driving to the school? Or any in state people that know what it is like?

This will be my first time traveling alone.....

Congrats on your interview!!
I go to Pitt. I recommend you stay at the Holiday Inn on Lytton Ave, it's super close and walking distance if you want to walk (everyone walks here). Pitt's campus is basically integrated into the city so parking is impossible, so if you stay in a hotel farther away from campus, take a taxi! Parking is just not worth the hassle and will prob stress you out for the interview :)

Thank you! I will probably fly in early and fly out at night so I don't have to get a hotel
(Praying for no bad weather :( ). Is the airport close to the school? I didn't know much about the school before applying but the more I research the more amazing it sounds.

The airport is about ~45mins from school with normal traffic.The weather should be okay, the snow is pretty much all melted right now. Anyway I hope you like the school! I do have to say that the connections here are unbeatable, all of the UPMC system is right at your fingertips and all of Pitt's medical programs are really renowned.

I got an invite to interview. I am so excited!

I just got an acceptance email to Pitt!!! I'm a little confused because I thought it wasn't rolling? Not that I'm complaining! I interviewed on the December date (the 17th, I believe). Just thought people may want to know that acceptances are coming out.

Also, I applied from out-of-state, so I wasn't a Pitt undergrad or in their conditional program.

I just got an acceptance email to Pitt!!! I'm a little confused because I thought it wasn't rolling? Not that I'm complaining! I interviewed on the December date (the 17th, I believe). Just thought people may want to know that acceptances are coming out.

Also, I applied from out-of-state, so I wasn't a Pitt undergrad or in their conditional program.

I also received an acceptance as well, they got back to me really fast though, I interviewed this week on Tuesday and got the email today. I am also out of state by the way.

Wow! I thought we had to wait till March. Congratulations to the both of you! I interviewed Tuesday too, I am so anxious to hear back!

I interviewed on Tuesday (1/22) and heard that I was accepted today!! So excited!!