University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not 100% sure im coming yet, but basically 90% there already
hahaha :D

Members don't see this ad.

CuddlyKumquat said:
I got in! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Not 100% sure im coming yet, but basically 90% there already
hahaha :D

Congrats :)

Black&Gold said:
See yinz soon!

Pittsburgh seems like a cool place and I'm excited to move there. I refuse, however, to ever use the word "yinz" in a sentence.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graat said:
Pittsburgh seems like a cool place and I'm excited to move there. I refuse, however, to ever use the word "yinz" in a sentence.

What about "birfday" or "bir" or "cucky" which apparently means an organic gooey substance that usually ends up on a Kleenex, toiwet paper, or paper tahl. Oh, and Mundy, Tuesdy, Wensdy, Thursdy, Frydy, Sadurdy, Sundy

Our second required reading

Do not be ascared n'at.

Let me tell you this: I went to Penn, on the other side of the mountains, and there is really nothing like the feeling you get when you finally drive into DVE 's radio range and hear that accent again. It's like the smell of gasoline: we all know it's bad for you, but you sniff it anyway.

I know this might be a bit early but I was wondering if anybody new whether or not we have to get a 27 or 32 inch scope. Thanks!

For anyone who is last-minute, a 2BR Apartment in Squirrel Hill for $695/month available immediately. The landlord is also my landlord, and I can vouch for him. PM me if interested and I can give you the landlord's number.

TLucio said:
I know this might be a bit early but I was wondering if anybody new whether or not we have to get a 27 or 32 inch scope. Thanks!

You can use whatever stethoscope you want. If you're planning on buying a nice one, wait until the equipment sale a few weeks after school starts (when you buy your oto/ophthalmoscope, too). You get a discount on the stuff.

Has anyone picked a Stafford lender yet? If so, which one did you choose? I think the comparison worksheet the school sent out is outdated. The interest rate reduction for Access is no longer 2.0%. According to accessgroup.org, it is now 0.8%.

soybean said:
Has anyone picked a Stafford lender yet? If so, which one did you choose? I think the comparison worksheet the school sent out is outdated. The interest rate reduction for Access is no longer 2.0%. According to accessgroup.org, it is now 0.8%.

I looked at it and I think that the AES is the better one and yes th einfo they sent us was outdated.

Hey, how do we change our password from that stupid initial-soc thing?

Black&Gold said:
Hey, how do we change our password from that stupid initial-soc thing?

I just changed it for our med school email (don't know about if it changes for the zone too) under 'options' , second up from the bottom is the option to change your password. I didn't put anything in domain, your lastname.firstname goes into account and then change the password - hope that helps.

I am arriving in town Aug 7th (after the suggestion time) - anyone want to hang out/need help moving/want to help move? Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Penguina said:
I just changed it for our med school email (don't know about if it changes for the zone too) under 'options' , second up from the bottom is the option to change your password. I didn't put anything in domain, your lastname.firstname goes into account and then change the password - hope that helps.

I am arriving in town Aug 7th (after the suggestion time) - anyone want to hang out/need help moving/want to help move? Looking forward to meeting y'all!

Changing your email password changes it for the Zone too.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, I just joined SDN and will be part of the class of 2010....living in Shadyside (Devon Towers)

anyone living there or nearby?

Soo annoyed. I haven't heard anything about my financial stuff yet. Kinnnda pushing the time limit aren't we?

Now I have to go find an apartment tomorrrow :D Wish me luck

CuddlyKumquat said:
Soo annoyed. I haven't heard anything about my financial stuff yet. Kinnnda pushing the time limit aren't we?

Now I have to go find an apartment tomorrrow :D Wish me luck

that does seem a little ridiculous. why don't you call them?

RandomGuy said:
that does seem a little ridiculous. why don't you call them?
I have! The frikkin person is ALWAYS out of the office. Ive also emailed, but no one gets back to me

CuddlyKumquat said:
I have! The frikkin person is ALWAYS out of the office. Ive also emailed, but no one gets back to me

Hey Cuddly,

Have you started to fill out the papers for financial aid yet? If not you can do that.. they can be found online under financial aid section of the pitt med website. There you can find a few forms about how much money you need to borrow etc. In order to get a financial aid package everyone must fill these forms out. So I guess since you cannot get in contact with anyone you can at least have these required forms filled out and sent in.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey Cuddly,

Have you started to fill out the papers for financial aid yet? If not you can do that.. they can be found online under financial aid section of the pitt med website. There you can find a few forms about how much money you need to borrow etc. In order to get a financial aid package everyone must fill these forms out. So I guess since you cannot get in contact with anyone you can at least have these required forms filled out and sent in.

I did that already...like a month ago. Grrrr :mad:

Yeah, the financial aid office is not always reliable. Who did you ask for? When I have a question I always call and ask for the financial aid officer. Good luck.

CuddlyKumquat said:

CuddlyKumquat said:
I did that already...like a month ago. Grrrr :mad:

If you are already here is Pittsburgh I think the best thing is to go to the school in person and try to get things done. If not you should, like someone suggested, talk to your finacial officer. Good Luck. Or when you call just explain your situation to the person who answers the phone and they sould be able to help you given the fact that you have been trying to get this settled for some time now.

Code:
I did that already...like a month ago. Grrrr

I'm in the same boat with you, so at least we're not alone I guess. The last time I called they said they were really backed up and hadn't had a chance to print the award letters out yet. I'm going to head over to the office next week to try to get things finally settled.

Financial aid seems to be a total disaster area. I harangued them over the phone for about two months. I was in Pittsburgh for the summer, so eventually I just ended up going to the office. Once I did that, they took care of everything while I waited.

Brangelina said:
Code:

I'm in the same boat with you, so at least we're not alone I guess. The last time I called they said they were really backed up and hadn't had a chance to print the award letters out yet. I'm going to head over to the office next week to try to get things finally settled.

Quick question: The White Coat ceremony is held....where? It says LR-2,3,4....where is LR?

the official invitation that was sent home said Lecture Rooms 5 and 6 in Scaife.

CuddlyKumquat said:
Quick question: The White Coat ceremony is held....where? It says LR-2,3,4....where is LR?

Brangelina said:
Code:

ARRRGGHH!!! I am so PISSED! I went to their office today and i asked about my file and my aid. She looks and goes, OH you have stuff missing!

WTF?! I CALLED YOU A MONTH AGO ASKING IF THERE WAS ANYTHING ELSE I NEEDED TO SEND IN FOR FINANCIAL AID. She said "Ohh no, you've got all the stuff right here"

GAH!

unfortunately the best way to get your money is to literally stand over them until they certify your loans while you're in the office. Don't leave until they do this, otherwise you'll go to the bottom of the pile again as soon as you leave. There have been a few too many changes in that office recently and they're all pretty far behind, and it can be very frustrating.

what changed? new staff?

hattie said:
unfortunately the best way to get your money is to literally stand over them until they certify your loans while you're in the office. Don't leave until they do this, otherwise you'll go to the bottom of the pile again as soon as you leave. There have been a few too many changes in that office recently and they're all pretty far behind, and it can be very frustrating.

What loans did people choose and why? How long did the process take after you choose your lender?

Thanks!

soybean said:
what changed? new staff?