About the ads

University of Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Fin, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Fin

Fin New Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Pitt was one of my first interviews and forgot to take down good notes while I was there. I remember that I loved the program - the residents, the training, the EMS experience. Of all the places I've interviewed I don't think I've seen a more cohesive and laid-back/fun group.

I'm really thinking about ranking the program highly but was wondering what some of the negatives were - besides being in Pittsburgh, which is a lot nicer than I had expected.
  2. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD Partner Organization

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN Partner SDN 10+ Year Member
    I found Pitt not as good as I had imagined it would be. (Although still very good.) I saw the downsides as the multiple hospitals, the reputation>program, the aeromedical if you don't like that (I thought the helicopter and the Jeep were cool though), the average physical plant, Pittsburgh, the ultrasound experience, the large amount of time spent in a huge academic center, and a couple of weird interviewers. For instance: What are your demons? (My answer: I'm a raging alcoholic who spent time in Vietnam before working for the postal service. I think it all stems from the sexual abuse I received from my mother, father, and 17 older siblings.) Not quite sure what the correct answer to that question was. Anyway, you won't go wrong there, but I don't know how good of a match it is for me.