University of Pretoria, South Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carbon6

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied here or is currently attending? I was curious as to what opinions on the school were, pros/cons, etc...

I'm thinking of applying, but I'd be an international student (I'm in the US). Does any have any stats on their admissions or the number of seats held for international students (if they even do that)?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't study there, but I do know that Pretoria grads can practice in the UK and New Zealand.

Do you have a family connection to South Africa? I'm just curious why you'd want to attend vet school there. It seems like there has been a massive emigration of people from South Africa in the recent past. (There are lots of South African expats in New Zealand.)

I'd looked at externing there perhaps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have family there and was planning to move there any way for them, so I wouldn't be going just for the vet school. I am currently trying to decide between a PhD program at another ZA Uni or the vet school at Pretoria and I thought I'd see if anyone here was enrolled the program, knew someone who was, etc... since this forum has such a large audience.

I'll be visiting ZA again this winter, so I can go check the campus out myself-but I'd still love input from anyone else!

I'm at Sydney uni in Australia, but I went on a Vets in the Wild trip to South Africa and we spent a day looking around the campus in Pretoria and it looks AMAZING, and seems like a really good vet course. Additionally compared to anywhere else you could go as an international student it is really really cheap, and the cost of living would be low as well.

I spent 6 weeks in South Africa (including myself and two other girls driving halfway across the country) and we had an amazing time and no troubles at all. I know there's a high crime rate and bad things do happen there, and there's a lot of poverty, but it seems to have an optimistic vibe and there are so many wonderful things there, if I was wanting to study vet as an international student I would definitely consider Pretoria.

I had a professor who got her vet degree from there. She's fantastic. She practices at a veterinary clinic in Grand Cayman now.

I grew up and went to school in SA, and had looked into going to Onderstepoort (the vet school). At the time (about 10 years ago) it was very difficult to get into since it is the only vet school in South Africa. Also all the lectures were given in Afrikaans, and although I spoke and understood Afrikaans fairly well I didn't feel comfortable enough to take vet school classes in Afrikaans. I believe that this may have changed so that lectures are now in English.

Try contacting the school to get some more information. Good luck!

The vet i work for went to vet school at the university of pretoria. He loved it. He is the smartest vet I know. He said it is a very prestigous school, especially considering it was the only 1 in africa at that time. He lived at africa at the time, and after graduating moved to the US to open his own private practice....he said it was a pain working on larger animals such as elephants when all he wanted to do was work with cats and dogs.

I recently went on an extended trip around East and Southern Africa, and fell in love with South Africa. I know the country has its fair share of troubles right now, but I had no problems and can't wait to get back again.

That being said, what do you think of going to Pretoria/Onderstepoort for vet school, then returning to the U.S. to practice? I know it's not AVMA-recognized, but it is recognized by other 'developed' areas of the world, like the UK and Australia, which are in turn recognized by AVMA. It would also be substantially cheaper to go to vet school in Pretoria - tuition looks like it's about $4,000 a year! Cost of living is also much cheaper than in the U.S.

Would I still get a great education there? I'm leaning towards equine medicine, specifically sports medicine/higher end equine athletes, so would I get enough experience in South Africa to return to the States (or possibly move on to Europe) and be a great and competitive equine vet? I wouldn't mind taking the foreign entrance exams if it means I only spend $4,000 a year on tuition and I get to live in South Africa for a few years. :)

What can I say about S. Africa? Beautiful country, great people, great wildlife opportunities...

Having just returned from the country and worked with S. Africans, I will provide you with one big warning. Many, many, many people want to get out of S. Africa. Especially now with Thabo Mbeki stepping down and Jacob Zuma in the wings. He is a corrupt man and politics (and stability) there are a bit frightening.

So, yes, you'd get a stellar education in SA, just would have to warn you about the safety issues and political issues that are about ready to boil over. Those are just as important of factors as whether or not the school is a good one.

Would I and will I go back? You bet. But my thoughts on whether or not I will live there and practice there have changed after my last visit. Love the country, people, and animals, but not the crime and corruption.

I'm looking at traveling there this summer, for an educational trip-type thing (vets in the wild) but also spend some time traveling around, and maybe set up something with the school in Pretoria. I was just concerned about what mylez said ... should I be worried?? Hopefully not ....

Wi girl, I would suggest volunteering at CARE and the Makalali Reserve, both of which are in the Limpopo province. If you want more info, let me know!!

As far as traveling there, I did not have any problems...but....lots of people have had problems before. It is a risk; South Africa is not the safest place on earth.

I hope you have an amazing time!!

Thanks so much rachroo .... I sent you a PM! :)

Yeah wi_girl, I wouldn't be super worried, especially if you do wildlife and conservation work. The danger, typically, is not in the reserves, it is in the cities and public places. And not to frighten anyone, you just have to be alert, awake, and paying attention when you are in SA.

I'd go from my tent in Kruger National Park (leaving IN the tent my laptop, camera, etc) with no problems at all. The people there are so wonderful. It is the cities that are the problem (but, too, you should go and experience the cities too!). It is a hard adjustment for me...not trusting anyone, hiding valuables, paying people to watch your car so that they don't let their buddies break into the vehicle...

Overall, I say go, but be aware of the crime and potential violence. You are less likely to be a victim if you stay aware.

I know this thread is kind of old, but I was wondering if anyone had any updates?
Has anyone actually attended this school, and how is the political environment (in terms of safety) at this time?

thanks

Fast forward,its now 2012 Jacob Zuma is still president. No war,and we still here.

Sent from my Vodafone 858 using SDN Mobile

Hey everyone! Don't know if many will see this but I have a huge interest in studying abroad at Pretoria if it's possible. I traveled to South Africa this past summer and fell in love with it. I am a second year pre-vet student in the US now. Does anyone know if it's possible to just spend a semester or a year there? Or does anyone have any related experience?