University of Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Architect2PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone been to or know anything about this program?
I was thinking it might be an interesting setting to study physical therapy, experience another culture and become more fluent in Spanish.
But one thing I thought a little strange was it's a three year program but only a Masters of Physical Therapy degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not apply to this program, but did research it as I thought the same thing. Here is what I found out:

1) You have to be proficient in Spanish PRIOR to entering the program. Even though PR is a U.S. commonwealth, it looks like most or all of the curriculum is in Spanish. In fact, you have to take a GRE version in Spanish to apply to this university. This GRE version is only given out in certain markets(NYC,Miami,NJ) so it's the expense of the GRE+the travel to get there.

2) I think the first year of the 3 years may include some basic overviews and competencies, equivalent to our first 2 years of UG liberal arts curriculum. That accounts for the 3 years.

3) If you are already taking pre-reqs or have taken any courses at U.S. university, they may not count. This could mean additional expense of re-taking course and proving to them that not only can you learn PT curriculum in Spanish, but that you can also master material the way that they teach it.

I was actually just looking at that two minutes ago. I can't even get on their website, do you know what the URL is? If your fluent in Spanish and you dont think you can get in anywhere else then I suggest to go for it. 3 years for an MPT is better than not getting into a program. it'll take just 1 year for the t-DPT after that.

I would apply to it, but im not fluent in Spanish. Not saying that PR is lower than any schools or anything, but I was considering applying because my stats arent so great, I just thought maybe they wouldn't have many applicants. I dont know I may be wrong, they may have like 1000 apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbizzle: the website is http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/terapiafisica.asp
I think I have a good shot at getting into other programs, so my main motivation to go there would be the culture and language.

bump: thanks! It looks from the curricula that the classes are all typical graduate level PT classes. Although, the very first semester is only 6 credits so that's not even close to full time. And it looks like summers are off, so maybe it all evens out.
http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/InformativeSheets/Terapia Fisica.pdf

Overall, it's very inexpensive (pay the same tuition that you would instate in your home state) which is very appealing. And I heard the cost of living is low also.

I've had a lot of Spanish classes but have never lived anywhere to develope fluency. So I could possibly do marginally well on a standardized test in Spanish although I'm not sure.

I've always regretted not living abroad (although, technically, Puerto Rico is not 'abroad' :)) and not becoming fluent in another language. But I'm also leary of b eing setback by spending the same amount of time in school and ending up with an MPT instead of a DPT.

jbizzle: the website is http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/terapiafisica.asp
I think I have a good shot at getting into other programs, so my main motivation to go there would be the culture and language.

bump: thanks! It looks from the curricula that the classes are all typical graduate level PT classes. Although, the very first semester is only 6 credits so that's not even close to full time. And it looks like summers are off, so maybe it all evens out.
http://eps.rcm.upr.edu/InformativeSheets/Terapia Fisica.pdf

Overall, it's very inexpensive (pay the same tuition that you would instate in your home state) which is very appealing. And I heard the cost of living is low also.

I've had a lot of Spanish classes but have never lived anywhere to develope fluency. So I could possibly do marginally well on a standardized test in Spanish although I'm not sure.

I've always regretted not living abroad (although, technically, Puerto Rico is not 'abroad' :)) and not becoming fluent in another language. But I'm also leary of b eing setback by spending the same amount of time in school and ending up with an MPT instead of a DPT.

Hi Architect2PT! Did you actually apply to the University of Puerto Rico DPT program?

Hey guys, I haven't seen this brought up yet, but I thought I'd share if anyone's considering applying.
Do keep in mind that their NPTE pass rate is 35% between 2014 and 2015 found here:
NPTE Pass Rates By State | FSBPT
Just something to keep in mind as it kind of seems like the PT equivalent to the Caribbean Medical Schools.

@DrEscribano It is, which is why I wanted to draw attention to it. It's a class of 17 meaning 6 passed. You couuuuuld be the one of the 6, but I think unless you really had to, I'd apply to a school with >90% pass rate.