University of Puget Sound

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LifeisgreatOT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from UPS for the OT program??? I went to an info session a couple weeks ago and they said it would be the first week of Feb! This waiting is so hard!

Members don't see this ad.

I heard they are meeting Monday to make their decisions.

Waiting is soo hard!! I wonder how soon they will hand out acceptances! This is my 4th year applying and I am praying this is my year! :xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know every time my phone rings I jump! I work with a couple OT's that went there and they said that they notify people of acceptance by phone.

Where else did you guys apply? I will cross my fingers for you! Good luck!

This year I have just applied to the 3 Washington school and Pacific University in Oregon. What about you?

I applied to the three washington schools, Idaho State University, Midwestern in Glendale, AT Still, and University of Minnesota twin cities

I applied to the three washington schools, Idaho State University, Midwestern in Glendale, AT Still, and University of Minnesota twin cities

Have you heard of any of the Washington schools?

I applied to the three in washington, u of south dakota, rush, UIC, UNC, Pitt, Uindy, St. Kate's, and Thomas Jefferson. I got into Rush and was rejected from UNC, Pitt, and Uindy. I am really hoping on one of the ones in Washington though as I am not too keen on moving to Chicago.
I haven't heard from any of the ones in Washington yet.

Got the interview invite from EWU today which is exciting; although I recall people saying they interview a lot of people each year? Has anyone gone to this before? What is it like?

I applied to UPS and UW as well, still no word from either although I am not really expecting it until mid-march. Sounds like UPS should be earlier though?

I got the invite too and I think your right, I'm pretty sure they invite everyone that meets basic qualifications. I am pretty nervous about it but it should be pretty exciting!!

lifeisgreat why do you think you didn't get into those three schools? Your stats are awesome

I am not really sure to be honest. I didn't call and ask or anything. Some theories I have are that I was out of state (unlikely), they discounted me because I got two D's my freshman year five years ago, or maybe my essay wasn't what they were looking for. My math GRE could have been better too. Very disheartening though, as I am sure most everyone can identify with. I am trying not to dwell on the ones I didn't get into.
UNC was my top choice but after visiting UPS I want to go there more than any other school! I totally recommend going to an information session there if you guys are close enough or willing to travel! The facility is extremely impressive! I have taken tours at Eastern, UW, Uindy, UIC, and Rush and it is the best facility by FAR in my opinion at least.

I got a phone call this morning from Puget Sound!!!! I got in!! You guys should be hearing really soon!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is so amazing lifeisgreat! Congrats!I hope to hear some good news as well, fingers crossed!

Thank you! I'm really excited! I am crossing my fingers for you guys!!

I got a vm yesterday that I was accepted! I am very excited. It still will not feel real until I get the letter in the mail though.

I really loved UPS, it had such an awesome feel to it and I felt really at home there. I have yet to hear back from UW but guess that is a while out.

Hopefully everyone that is waiting to hear good news gets some soon.

LifeisGreat- did you accept their offer or are you waiting to hear from other schools?

I am accepting their offer! Its my top choice so I am planning on going there :) If you decide to go there too we would be in the same class!!!

I received the voicemail tonight that I was accepted!

Congrats!!! Are you still holding out to hear from some other schools?

I got a voicemail acceptance today too. I hope everyone else gets good news soon! Congrats guys!

For those who have been accepted, could you guys post your stats? Thanks!

Ah I haven't recieved a phone call yet and UPS was one of my top choices! Do you think they made all their acceptance phone calls yesterday?

University: University of Washington- Bothell campus
Major: Community Psychology
Overall GPA- 3.5
Pre-req GPA- 3.7-3.8
Last 60/90 credits: 3.76
GRE: Quantitative 147, Verbal 153, Writing 4.5
Work/Volunteer: 1500 hours as an OT aide in a pediatric/hand therapy setting, 28 hours in inpatient rehab.
Unrelated to OT: Hospital volunteer, tutoring, soup kitchens etc.

Applying to: U of Washington, U Puget sound, eastern w university, UNC, UIC, Rush, UPitt, Thomas Jefferson, St. Kate's, U of Indianapolis, U of south dakota

Interviews: Rush, U of Indianapolis, U of south dakota

Accepted: Rush, UPS

Rejected: UNC, U of Indianapolis, UPitt

For the other people that rec. phone calls, did they say when we need to accept by? I am leaning towards accepting but have not yet heard back from UW/ or attended the EWU interview and feel I should be open to all possibilities if they come my way.

Can anybody speak to the biggest differences between UPS and UW (besides the price)? I know for example at UW you graduate and can work in schools immediately..but I heard from a UPS student that pediatric fieldwork is considered a specialty and so you would need to do a fieldwork iii to be able to work with children..does that sound right? I know UPS students seem to love it, but have not heard much from any UW students. Just curious.

Sorry for all this babbling..if someone has a link to an old discussion on differences between the WA schools I would love it! I could not find on my own.

I can't really speak for anyone else but there are several reasons why I want to go to UPS over UW. I work with about 12 OT's and everyone that went to UW graduated in the last couple years and didn't have many positive things to say about it. Their responses were something like "Meh. It was okay". I also work with two graduates from UPS and they both had great things to say about it. UW uses more of a medical model for instruction (as far as I know) and UPS gives you the option of the MOT or MSOT degree.
I visited both UW and UPS and I just got a better feeling from the smaller school with the building completely dedicated to OT/PT rather than the big UW medical facility with really just one classroom where you spend all your time.
But the main overriding reason why I chose to accept UPS's offer and not even really wait to hear from UW, is their amazing ped's and adult rehab clinic. The ped's clinic has everything that you could possibly use in a pediatric clinical setting and the adult rehab facility has a functional kitchen, bathroom, and mock hospital room. They also have cool things such as a drive simulator and this test for field of vision. And the best part about all of these things is that you get to actually use them, whereas the OT students at UW never get access to the UW rehab facility as far as I know. In the last semester each student gets assigned one (or two?) patients that you work with from intake all the way to discharge. That is such a unique feature of their program, which is think will be really beneficial when starting fieldwork II.

Sorry for rambling too and these are all just my own reasons for choosing UPS, its a great fit for me but UW might be a better fit for you, it just depends what you are looking for out of a program. And I haven't heard anything about pediatrics being a specialty. As far as I know every school in the country graduates their students as general practitioners and your specialty is really just where you are interested in working and where you have the most experience...I might be wrong though so don't take my word for it.

Thanks for your response, it is really helpful to hear and I feel similarly. I just kept thinking, well I could not turn down the cheaper cost, and its program is ranked in the top , and that is all I kept telling myself. It is very helpful to hear about the people you work with thinking "meh." I want to love my program and have great relationships with people in my cohort. Anyways thanks again for your insight!

I cannot wait to get the acceptance letter in the mail. It does not feel real. I have worked so hard, and I never thought I would see the day to know that yes, I will be an OT!

I know what you mean :) Its such a shame that its so competitive because I feel like the majority of the people that apply are so passionate about it and would make amazing OT's. The schools need to catch up with demand and let more people in.

hey everyone, congrats to those of you who have heard from UPS already! I still haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming I didn't get first pick but am hoping for a waitlist notice :) Do you guys know if I will get that via email or in a letter?

I am not sure what the process is. If I was you I would try emailing or contacting Lacretia. She is really helpful and I believe she would be able to tell you what the process is.

hey everyone, congrats to those of you who have heard from UPS already! I still haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming I didn't get first pick but am hoping for a waitlist notice :) Do you guys know if I will get that via email or in a letter?

I haven't heard anything either....if I remember correctly.. Last year I received a denial email...I could be wrong... Ill double check when I get home!

I called the OT office to see what's up and Susan at the front desk told me that letters were sent out today. Probably denial & waitlist letters but I don't know for sure

Thought I would let everyone know that I received an email from UPS to create an account with cascade to check the status of my application. When I log in it confirmed that I was accepted. I am not sure if everyone's status is uploaded in cascade or if it is just those who have been accepted.

I guess that means since they mailed them today, most everyone will not be getting until Tuesday since Monday is a holiday. So maybe even later than Tuesday. That is so brutal for everyone waiting to hear back, I hope you all hear good news!

My guess is if we didn't get a call... We probably got denied.....

that's entirely possible lol i already got accepted to the OT program at Touro in Nevada :) but I'd really like to stay in the northwest. still waiting to hear from UW and Colorado State too

Received my denial letter today. Wished I could have at least been waitlisted.... :(

WSUCoug2010 dont feel bad, I did too ): and I worked so hard on that personal statement too..ahh oh well..did you get an interview or acceptances from any other schools?

WSUCoug2010 dont feel bad, I did too ): and I worked so hard on that personal statement too..ahh oh well..did you get an interview or acceptances from any other schools?

Same here!! I worked so hard! I have been denied from Eastern, but I have an interview at Pacific and then I'm waiting to hear from UW. This is my 4th year applying...

ahh I'm sorry to hear that ): I wish you the best at Pacific!! :) I applied at UW too but I KNOW there's no way in hell I got in there lol. I have an interview at EWU and that's the only place that gave me an interview :/

Same here!! I worked so hard! I have been denied from Eastern, but I have an interview at Pacific and then I'm waiting to hear from UW. This is my 4th year applying...

Do you mind sharing your stats? What schools have you applied to? I'm a bit worried when I see people applying year after year.

I received my letter that I have been wait-listed. I called and they said I was number 9 on the list. I tried to ask how many wait-listed people are accepted and all she would say is it varies. I figure if few accepted people and some of the wait listed people decide to go to other schools I may have a chance. Does anyone have any idea how it has worked out in previous years? Too bad they can't take 40 instead of 30 students.

I have an interview at Eastern and it is my top choice and I also applied to udub so I'm hoping one of them works out, this is my first year applying but I don't want to be applying year after year.

I received my letter that I have been wait-listed. I called and they said I was number 9 on the list. I tried to ask how many wait-listed people are accepted and all she would say is it varies. I figure if few accepted people and some of the wait listed people decide to go to other schools I may have a chance. Does anyone have any idea how it has worked out in previous years? Too bad they can't take 40 instead of 30 students.

I have an interview at Eastern and it is my top choice and I also applied to udub so I'm hoping one of them works out, this is my first year applying but I don't want to be applying year after year.

Hi Amanda579, I have been selected as an alternate candidate as well! Were you able to ask how many people are on the list total? It would be great if all of the schools could take on bigger cohorts.... one of my long term goals is to become a professor so that I may be a part in that movement! :)

Does anyone know how many people are going to be at the EWU interview or how many people they had at the interview in the past?

I'll be declining my acceptance so hopefully you'll be bumped up to #8 on waitlist. =) Otherwise kick a** at Eastern's interview - I know you'll do great! GL!

I heard they are interviewing 96 people, and take 32, so 1 in 3 chance of getting in.

Those are pretty good chances! Where did you hear that? I'm going to the interview this weekend too!

Overall GPA is 3.86, Pre-Req is 3.91
GRE: V - 153 Q - 155 A - 4.5
60 hours of OT observation (50 adult, 10 kids), lots of other Rehab work experience

Still waiting on UW. but if I get accepted there I will probably decline UPS because of the cost difference.

Anyone know if we can defer the March 8th decision date? I am assuming I won't hear from UW before that.

Overall GPA is 3.86, Pre-Req is 3.91
GRE: V - 153 Q - 155 A - 4.5
60 hours of OT observation (50 adult, 10 kids), lots of other Rehab work experience

Still waiting on UW. but if I get accepted there I will probably decline UPS because of the cost difference.

Anyone know if we can defer the March 8th decision date? I am assuming I won't hear from UW before that.

UW won't be sending out their letters until the week of March 18th.