University of Queensland MD- US Family Medicine Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Undergrad313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question in terms of successfully gaining a residency in the US (family medicine) after gaining an MD from the University of Queensland of Australia. Is it next to impossible? I heard that a family medicine res would not be as difficult- and family medicine is my interest area.

Not that UQ is my first choice- A med school in the US is my top choice.

I'm just wondering just incase.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you thinking of all 4 years in Australia (University of Queensland) or 2 years in Brisbane and 2 in New Orleans (University of Queensland-Ochsner cohort)? Either way, it seems manageable if you pass Step 1 first time & do decently, along with having USCE & LORs from US physicians.

Are you thinking of all 4 years in Australia (University of Queensland) or 2 years in Brisbane and 2 in New Orleans (University of Queensland-Ochsner cohort)? Either way, it seems manageable if you pass Step 1 first time & do decently, along with having USCE & LORs from US physicians.
Taking into consideration my current stats, they told me, "You may receive an offer to our 4 year MD program, based in Brisbane."-- Not the one of Ochsner. I asked if they were considerably different and they told me, "The Ochsner students do return for their final 2 clinical years and complete there rotations in New Orleans. I guess their advantage is they are already on US soil making contacts, however with doing the 4 year program in Australia you will be entitled to completing 2 of these rotations overseas (or back in the US) if you wish. During your final year our team assists with compiling your Deans letter for applying to residency programs back in North America, whether you are an Ochsner student, or student completing the full 4 year program in Brisbane."

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question in terms of successfully gaining a residency in the US (family medicine) after gaining an MD from the University of Queensland of Australia. Is it next to impossible? I heard that a family medicine res would not be as difficult- and family medicine is my interest area.
Family med would be the easiest to get into as an IMG, and if you pass the USMLE will not be difficult coming from UQ.