University of Rochester AEGD or GPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petunia99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on the University of Rochester AEGD or GPR?

Members don't see this ad.

petunia99 said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on the University of Rochester AEGD or GPR?

Interviewed at the AEGD. Director seems like a flake (his secretary yelled at him during my interview), although a nice guy. I've heard that they have good relations w/ prostho, perio, pedo. But if you like ortho or omfs forgettaboutit. Another thing - there is a AEGD 2 year program for foreign trained dentists, which you may or may not like. I heard from the residents (who were from Michigan, Conn, Toronto and Montreal - by the way Canadians aren't considered foreign by accreditation standards) and they felt like too much time is spent bringing the foreign trained dentists up to speed. Now the GPRs are the omfs bitches from what i heard. Only good thing about either program is the pay 40K and low cost of living in upstate NY.

Although I'm a little late to this thread, as someone who has spent 6 yrs in Rochester (2 yrs GPR, 4 yrs OMFS), I felt that it was incumbent upon me to comment:

Interviewed at the AEGD. Director seems like a flake

Yes. And there are issues with some of the oral surgery things they want you to do, and with the people who supervise you.

there is a AEGD 2 year program for foreign trained dentists, which you may or may not like

Yes, and there are issues with some of the doctors, as well as the program that is set up for them.

Now the GPRs are the omfs bitches from what i heard.

Not true. Having seen the relationship between OMFS & GPR from both sides, I can honestly say that the GPRs are learning how to operate properly within a hospital setting, while also gaining an invaluable education in medically compromised patients and their management (the whole point of doing a GPR). You can feel confident, provided that you put in more than a modicum of effort, that you will learn how to evaluate patients properly, and be comfortable speaking to your MD colleagues about them without appearing like "just a dentist".