*-*-*University of Rochester Class of 2011*-*-*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinemonkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know acceptance letters have been sent out, so who is planning on or thinking about the U of R? I am so excited to start! I live in Rochester if anyone is still undecided and has any questions about the school or the area.

Let's get this thread going!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got my acceptance this week. I definately liked Rochester a ton more than I thought I would. It's moved up to one of the top schools on my list. Do you know if/when they are planning on having a second look weekend?

I just got my acceptance this week. I definately liked Rochester a ton more than I thought I would. It's moved up to one of the top schools on my list. Do you know if/when they are planning on having a second look weekend?

Not sure when it will be this year, but last year it was April 7-8. It is totally student run and you don't have to worry about accomodations because they set you up with a student host.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted yesterday! I love Rochester's clinical program, but being from Pittsford, I know there's not a lot to do around the city. Guess you can't have it all though.

When are you guys submitting the FAFSA?

hey Rochester folks, just wanted to say hello........ i was accepted in October. I'm still waiting on a few more schools, but i loved Rochester so there's a good chance i'll end up there.

Hi!
Just thought I'd get a thread started if you already know that's the school you're going to attend. Also, include what state you are a resident of. I'm from San Diego, CA and went to UCSD. Also, do you mind posting the date you interviewed on? My interview was on 9/21. Hope everyone has a great holiday season and see you in August! I loved the school and thought the interviews there were most enjoyable.

For people who actually live in Rochester-- any advice? Is it dangerous driving there in the winter due to unexpected ice on the roads?

Hi, I really liked Rochester too. How long did it take for you to hear back?

I heard in less than an month...interviewed on 11/3 and received my acceptance on 11/27. (I thought I would have to wait until the end of December). I take it you're still waiting to hear...when did you interview? Good luck!

Hey, I also was accepted quickly. Three weeks from the day of my interview (although this was in October). I think they might review monthly so it can take a while/short while depending when you get reviewed. Anyway, Rochester is an AMAZING place. Helloooooooooo potential future classmates!!

hey everyone,

i'm from CA, and i interviewed on 9/22 and was accepted a few weeks later. i'm trying to decide between rochester and case right now... but i really liked rochester and will probably go to second look weekend (whenever it is...)

Hey, did you all get the recent letter about second look weekend? anyone decided which they'll go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
I stalked my mailbox for a week before I got the second look invite. I'm thinking of going during February; what about everyone else? Also, does anyone know from when to when first years are typically in class during the day?

What did you guys like about Rochester? I have an interview in a month and I'm debating whether I should go or not.

What did you guys like about Rochester? I have an interview in a month and I'm debating whether I should go or not.

Med school adcoms always say go to the place that touches your heart. This sounds kind of wishy washy, but it's true. I loved Rochester because of the unique curriculum they have, which coinicides with my own views on how medicine should be administered. I also liked the atmosphere of the class-- students looked very happy! Also, my most memorable interviews were at Rochester. I feel like they really got to the core of who I was and asked questions that nobody else had thought of asking me at other interviews. I just felt very at home at Rochester and recommend going to the interview.

I'm going to the second look weekend in Feb. Anybody else?

I think I'm going to the second look in Feb too. My only worry is driving in upstate NY in winter...should I expect bad driving conditions?

i think I'll probably go to the April one. The Feb one is too soon!

Hey Spygal, ordinarily you might have to worry about driving in upstate NY in February, but we haven't had any snow since October- it was 60 degrees yesterday! Just keep an eye on the weather, but I'm going to hazard a guess that it'll stay pretty mild this winter. Have you gotten info on how to RSVP yet? Can't wait to meet you guys!

likewise! i haven't received any more info on RSVP'ing or details, etc. I think this is part of the reason why I'm going to wait til April.... more time to plan is better for me since i'm on the west coast. yay, and while global warming is terrible, i can't help but be a little less scared for Rochester winters since I all have heard from the east is how mild it has been so far!

I think we rsvp to one of the email addresses listed on the letter.

I've decided that I want to go in feb. I figure I might as well go now, since I hope to have a decision made by april.

Rochester costs more than the other schools where I'm accepted. Not only that, but I think its more likely that I'll get scholarships from the other schools than Rochester (I think it's kind of a miracle that I got accepted in the first place.)

So, I think I need to go to the second look weekend so one of two things happens. 1- I fall n love with Rochester, decide I can handle the frigid weather, and resign to lots of debt or 2- decide that Rochester isn't worth the cold weather and cold $$$.

soooo who else is going?

I think I'm going to the second look in Feb too. My only worry is driving in upstate NY in winter...should I expect bad driving conditions?

Flying might be an option as well with Jetblue. The airport is about 8 minutes away from the school and not surprisingly would cost $8 for a taxi.

hi all i literally just got in yesterday and i'm sooo excited. do you know the dates for the second look weekend because i want to go!

congrats!!!! i can't remember them off the top of my head, but i posted them in the Pre-Allo forum in the Second Look Weekends thread. There is one in Feb and one in March.

For easier reference, second look weekends are February 22-24 and April 12-14. You arrive a Thursday night and stay with a host. Friday you attend classes, and I forget what else is planned. Saturday is for your host to give you the grand tour of Rochester.

MiniMD - When did you interview? I just interviewed last week and really liked the school. It seems like they do a monthly review, so I'm hoping I made this review....

i interviewed the first week in december. they said that it would take 6-8 weeks for us but that it was more dependent on how soon your interviewers passed along their interview notes to the committee. hopefully you won't wait that long and good luck to you!

You can add me to the list too! I recieved a call October 16th, but I didn't find this thread until now. So has anybody figured out how to RSVP? I am thinking about going to the April date too because I need to defend my thesis just before then in early april, and will finally have some free time. Plus I will need to be looking for a house because my fiancee and I are hoping to buy.

Just received an email today about how to RSVP for the second look weekends. Attached is a link to a survey so they can match you to a good host. You need to RSVP by Feb 5th for the second look in Feb, and by March 26 for the second look in April.

Hi future classmates

I am in too. Pretty excited . For people considering university housing, have you heard anything good or bad about the experience.
thanks

Hey Guys,

I was accepted back in December, but haven't been on SDN in a while. I just RSVPed for the February weekend. I hope to see you guys there.

I'll be there for the Feb. second look. Does anyone know how many people usually go to these weekends? 15? 50? 100? I have no idea.

Did mailings about second look weekends come after you sent back the deposit and acceptance form? The Feb weekend just fits better with my schedule but I only mailed back the deposit form last week.

I suppose I can just give the school a call and ask about how to RSVP by the Feb 5th deadline.

Is anyone bringing their SO to the Feb. weekend? My family is from Rochester, so I invited my fiance along, but I don't want to ditch him while I'm meeting my classmates.

I was going to bring my fiancee, but she works for an investment firm and can't take off time right before tax season. Instead we are going to visit together a week or two later.

It was so great meeting all of you this weekend... too bad my anonymity is gone now :)

It was so great meeting all of you this weekend... too bad my anonymity is gone now :)

zerlinnnaaaa! I'm sad to say my anonymity is gone, as well, but I was so glad to meet you all, and it's good to know that if I end up at Rochester, there will be lots of great peolpe there with me!

Hey Zerlina and Doctorsareneat,
It was great meeting you! What do you think of my avatar? I just got home because my flight was canceled due to weather so I spent an extra day in Rochester. However, that day did not go to waste because I bought lots of clothes :D .

Now I remember your avatar, I like :) You should have called me today; Ben and I were around apartment hunting, we actually applied for one this afternoon! I was so glad to meet you, I hope you end up at Rochester :)

For all of you guys that went to second look this past weekend...was it worthwhile? Would you mind posting a brief summary of the weekend and what sessions were helpful. Thanks, I'm still debating on whether or not to attend the April weekend.

The second look weekend was definitely worth it for me. I really needed to explore the city and talk to students, and that's exactly what I did!

Thursday I arrived (late) and my hosts picked me up.
Friday we followed either 1st or 2nd years around to their PBL and lecture. The lecture was interesting, but I think they should have had us do something else during that time. Maybe go meet professors or tour the hospital.
We ate lunch, went to the simulator lab and tried to save the dummy (unsuccessfully), and we had a session on standardized patients.
We had some free time before dinner (yummy pot luck) and then the med student talent show (though, the weekend in march will have something different).
That night we went out to a bar (others went to a coffee shop or something).
Saturday I went to the public market with my hosts (it was awesome.. but also 6 degrees and it's outdoors) and looked at some apartments.

It was fast and busy, but I feel like I know the school a lot better, and when it comes time to make a decision, I'll be prepared.

For me, the most helpful part was getting to know the current and prospective students at the bar and during dinner and down time; the students are so intelligent and happy, and they really made me feel like I'd fit in well (being intelligent and happy myself :) ). Also, definitely take advantage of exploring housing options.

just bumping! anyone planning to go to the April 2nd look??

I will be at the April 12-14th weekend. You almost gave me a heart attack there saying it was on the 2nd, since my thesis is due on the 6th, and I want that out of the way before I get back to thinking about med school again.

99% sure that i'll be coming to Rochester this August. for those who went to February's Second Look - i had a blast, it was great meeting everyone!

I really want to make it to the April second look with my significant other but i'm having a really hard time finding reasonable airfare (around $400 RT eeeek) from the west coast. if i do end up missing out, am i missing out on mostly social aspects? or did you get handouts/applications for campus housing, etc? i'm just trying to figure out how much I'm going to be missing.

I really want to make it to the April second look with my significant other but i'm having a really hard time finding reasonable airfare (around $400 RT eeeek) from the west coast. if i do end up missing out, am i missing out on mostly social aspects? or did you get handouts/applications for campus housing, etc? i'm just trying to figure out how much I'm going to be missing.

you looked into JetBlue?

i went to Feb's 2nd Look w/ my SO. i think it's worth it to attend next month, esp if you're deciding btw Rochester and another school, or among Rochester and more than one other school.

we did have a more detailed financial aid meeting, and it was instructive sitting in on lecture and PBL, not to mention a nice primer on working with the simulator and with standardized patients. you get to meet students ranging from MS1 to CC4, which gives you a really good sense of student happiness there.

housing is relatively affordable in Western NY, so it was really informative checking out students' open houses, too.

Thanks, nbp. I'll keep looking for tickets. Unfortunately JetBlue is $500+!!! outrageous!! it was waaaaaaaaaay cheaper when I flew in the fall for my interview. I'd really love to be there so I'm trying to find a way. It's just hard to justify after all of the expense in the process and knowing that these tickets would cost us more than a month's rent in Rochester!