University of Rochester Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey! I've heard the same about the weather, but I wouldn't know. I'm coming allllllll the way from Georgia. Are u choosing between other schools or are you going to second look for more info?

I think I have made up my mind, I really like the school and I will def. go to the second look

Members don't see this ad.

Hello future classmates! I have a question regarding the weather. Is it true that Rochester gets a lot of cloudy days, and hardly see the sun in the winter time?
I am looking forward to second look week :)
anyone from CT?
Fear of the weather is probably the only reason Rochester doesn't get as many applications as other top schools, which is rediculous. I think what most people don't realize is that your body adapts pretty well to new climates. Ethereal, you may think 50 is freezing now, but come this December you will be wearing tshirt and shorts when its 50. I grew up in Buffalo and went to the beach when it hit 60. Then I lived in Australia for 5 months and thought 60 was chilly. You just get used to your environment and adapt. I really hate when I see a Rochester vs. X thread and the main knock against UR is that it's too cold.......though I will admit that 0 degree days really suck :laugh:

I think what most people don't realize is that your body adapts pretty well to new climates. Ethereal, you may think 50 is freezing now, but come this December you will be wearing tshirt and shorts when its 50.

Agreed. I'm not one for the cold, but you adjust!

Also... 2nd look attire... be comfortable! Totally up to you w/ what you wanna wear. Obviously you probably don't wanna look like a slob, but this is a weekend for you to relax and for us to impress upon you. So casual's the word. Jeans, khakis, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep 50 is indeed cold to me lol but I never considered the weather a deterrent. It actually snowed quite a bit here Sunday and I was so excited. We don't get too much of that, maybe some flurries one day out of the year, lol but then its decent weather again. Anyway, Rochester seems like way too good a school to pass up just cause of the weather. I say bring on the cold!

Thanks lacrossefiend for the info.

Last edited:
Hey! I've heard the same about the weather, but I wouldn't know. I'm coming allllllll the way from Georgia. Are u choosing between other schools or are you going to second look for more info?

I'm living in Boston now but my family is in CT. I flew to U of R for my interview, but I'm wondering if anyone is planning on driving from the MA/CT area. Thanks!

We'll be indoors 90 % of the time anyways...I am sure we'll adapt and get going with our studies :love:

I was wondering if any of you medical students were doing the deaf or Latino health pathway? How exactly does it work? Is a pathway or humanities mandatory or optional? Do you really become fluent enough to thoroughly communicate? I'm really interested in the Latino health pathway and wanna do a summer abroad. Have any of you done a summer in another country? Sorry for the long post!

I was wondering if any of you medical students were doing the deaf or Latino health pathway? How exactly does it work? Is a pathway or humanities mandatory or optional? Do you really become fluent enough to thoroughly communicate? I'm really interested in the Latino health pathway and wanna do a summer abroad. Have any of you done a summer in another country? Sorry for the long post!

One humanities elective is required in both first and second year, although you can take up to four. They are offered in the Spring of 1st year, and the fall of 2nd year (with 2 blocks during each year, so you don't take more than one at a time). They are pretty low key, pass/fail, and have a wide range of subjects, and meet one afternoon a week for 8 weeks. The language based electives are definitely more intense. Participating in a pathway beyond just taking the humanities seminars is optional.

If you plan on doing any sort of pathway (Humanities, Ethics, Latino, Deaf, etc) you need to take 3 humanities electives total in the subject of the pathway. In order to complete the pathway, you also have to do some sort of project during 3rd or 4th year. That may be writing a paper, doing an ethics elective, teaching a humanities class to 1st and 2nd years, or a pathway specific project, like a rotation in a spanish speaking country, etc.

You do not become fluent. No one can become fluent in 24 classes. But it is a start, and you do get other language/cultural experiences in 3rd or 4th year.

Outside of doing the formal pathway, you can also do language specific rotations in the clinical years, or even during ACE - if you have language background in spanish or ASL, you can request to be put in a practice that has large patient populations.

Summer abroad is a completely separate thing from the humanities pathways. Anyone can go anywhere they want, no matter what their language skills are. Many students go abroad after first year. Funding is provided by the school. there is an application process, and you do need to have a concrete plan with a Rochester and an onsite advisor, but in general if you write a decent proposal, you will get funded. You can also do international electives in the clinical years - the process is kinda similar, and is also funded by the school.

Hope this helps.

what about the social life at rochester? do students feel trapped? are there things to do in the city (bars, shopping, restaurants, etc)? also what is the testing schedule like?

what about the social life at rochester? do students feel trapped? are there things to do in the city (bars, shopping, restaurants, etc)? also what is the testing schedule like?

I would think your social life will be what you make of it, as w/ probably most all schools. I do not feel trapped. We have bars, shopping and restaurants. We are not a huge city like NYC, but I think most people make do w/ what we have. My friends tend to just hang out at each other's houses since its cheap to do. And most of us go out as a class after tests which we have about every 3 weeks.

But, this isn't college. While some can get away w/ it, most people don't go out every weekend, especially around test time. I am still having a good amount of fun regardless and don't feel like my life is just studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
lacrossefiend73, could you give a better description of the Academic Research Track (ART)? For instance, how competitive is it? Are there many students who apply and are turned down? I know many schools make the year of research tution free and sometimes even have scholarships for the rest of the four years if you pursue a 5 year program, is there any such funding at Rochester?

Thanks

lacrossefiend73, could you give a better description of the Academic Research Track (ART)? For instance, how competitive is it? Are there many students who apply and are turned down? I know many schools make the year of research tution free and sometimes even have scholarships for the rest of the four years if you pursue a 5 year program, is there any such funding at Rochester?

Thanks

Here is information about ART: http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/md/art/

I am not positive how competitive it is. If ART doesn't work out for you, we also have year out options (i.e. one in pediatric research, one in pathology, etc.) that also give funding.

Hope that link helps!

Last edited:
thanks for the information! i have a few more questions because i keep on finding some conflicting information. are the first two years just pass/fail or honors/pass/fail? how long are you typically in class during a weekday? are the lectures videotaped? overall are the students typically younger or are there a decent percentage of older, married students?

again thanks for all the help!

In terms of ART: Year out research is always tuition free (it's actually funded for the year). You can be funded through departmental programs or a specific lab (Peds has 2 programs, path has a residency like program, etc), you can get funding through the med school itself (to go international, to do community health projects, to do medical humanities), or you can be funded through ART. ART funding is provided by the NIH, and their guidelines just changed this year so that you MUST get a masters degree over the course of the year in addition to the research (MPH or MS).

Along with the ART research year, there are a series of lectures you are required to go to. They are offered for 1st and 2nd year students, but you don't have to start attending them until your year out. (they call it a track because of these lectures. Most people who end up doing ART, though, hadn't gone to them in the first 2 years).

Year out funding is very competitive, especially if you want to be funded by a program that isn't ART (they actually didn't fill all the ART spots this year - because of the new masters degree requirement they didn't get that many applicants). You have to write a proposal and get support from an advisor (this process can be a lot of work). To go international you have to interview. They do not fund everyone, and they will not fund people just because they have the money if the application does not meet their criteria, which can be very strict, depending on the program. All that said, quite a few people do a year out each year, and it's very popular overall. In fact, it's an awesome program, and for people who want to do an MPH, it's one of the few schools that don't make you pay extra to do it.

In terms of grading: The first two years are strictly pass/fail. In addition to this, students who are in the top 10% of each course are notified, and that information is used in the calculation to determine AOA (the medical honors society). However, just because the school, and you, know that you are in that top percent, does not mean anyone else does. It does not show up on your transcript, and that information (or lack thereof) is not conveyed in your dean's letter to residency programs.

Class hours: In general, your core courses are 8-noon every day. Clinical instruction and ACE preceptor placements are 3 days a week in the afternoon (1 afternoon in clinic until 5ish in 1st year with 2 afternoons in lecture/small group until 3-5:00, and second year 2 afternoons in clinic with one afternoon at school). You have two afternoons totally off a week.

Lectures: are not video taped or recorded.

Student Body: The average age of first year students is about 24. There are a number of non-traditional and/or married students in each class, and lots of babies (especially as the years progress!).

Last edited by a moderator:
wk2010 answered your questions perfectly but I did want to add in why you might have seen conflicting things in terms of 1st/2nd year grading. Our basic science courses (i.e. Human Structure and Function, Molecules to Cells, etc.) as well as Introduction to Clinical Medicine (1st semester of 1st year) are pass/fail. Our Ambulatory Clerkship Experience (ACE- 2nd semester of 1st year and running throughout 2nd year) is H/HP/P/F as it is viewed as a rotation.

wk2010 answered your questions perfectly but I did want to add in why you might have seen conflicting things in terms of 1st/2nd year grading. Our basic science courses (i.e. Human Structure and Function, Molecules to Cells, etc.) as well as Introduction to Clinical Medicine (1st semester of 1st year) are pass/fail. Our Ambulatory Clerkship Experience (ACE- 2nd semester of 1st year and running throughout 2nd year) is H/HP/P/F as it is viewed as a rotation.

I think i'd take a grade in ACE to get 10 weeks of electives in 3rd year any day! (and yes, all 3rd and 4th year electives... 25-33 weeks, depending on how much vacation time you take.. are pass/fail. and basic science in 3rd year is ungraded. it's pretty sweet).

I think i'd take a grade in ACE to get 10 weeks of electives in 3rd year any day! (and yes, all 3rd and 4th year electives... 25-33 weeks, depending on how much vacation time you take.. are pass/fail. and basic science in 3rd year is ungraded. it's pretty sweet).

Agreed. :)

I just saw the 2009 Match list and its VERY impressive. I know its a loooong way away for me, but its something to look forward to! Congrats to class of 2009!

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/education/matchday/matchday09.cfm

So I've been looking at Rochester's match lists for the past few years and have noticed that about 4% of the class usually goes into radiology. This year it is only one. I know that match lists reflect the interests of the students in the class, but is there a reason that Rochester sends so few of its students into radiology?
Other schools send 7-10% into radiology, and these schools dont even compare to Rochester! (according to US NEWS:)meanie:) or from what I've heard)

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Also

Do you know when orientation/class starts for first years?
And when is the white coat ceremony!?!?

Thanks

So I've been looking at Rochester's match lists for the past few years and have noticed that about 4% of the class usually goes into radiology. This year it is only one. I know that match lists reflect the interests of the students in the class, but is there a reason that Rochester sends so few of its students into radiology?
Other schools send 7-10% into radiology, and these schools dont even compare to Rochester! (according to US NEWS:)meanie:) or from what I've heard)

Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Honestly, the only answer is student preference. Maybe if you wanted to really think hard about it, you could say that students who are attracted to Rochester are more likely to be interested in going into a specialty where they will actually meet and see their patient. It has nothing to do with the competitiveness of the specialty - there are plenty of other equally or more competitive specialties that students match into.

This years class was an unusually hands-on bunch... the number going into surgical sub-specialties is HUGE (2 neurosurg, 2 plastics, 5 ortho, 3 optho, 2 ENT, 3 urology). There are also always weird years when a whole bunch go into one specialty - 4 are going into child neuro this year, for example. The more you meet med students, the more you see that the stat of how-many-into-what-field is meaningless and doesn't reflect anything other than the personal tastes of the students.

Hello future classmates! I have a question regarding the weather. Is it true that Rochester gets a lot of cloudy days, and hardly see the sun in the winter time?
I am looking forward to second look week :)
anyone from CT?

hey i'm from CT! i'm looking forward to going to 2nd look. i actually currently go to school in central ny, and yeah, the winters are a bit gloomy but it's something you adjust to. the lake effects definitely mean more clouds and less sun. and there can be lots of snow too lol.

so i've heard a lot about rochester students spending lots of time in class, there aren't as many afternoons free compared to other schools, etc... is this a disadvantage? is there still time to do research or volunteering? are students more worn out with this schedule? how much studying do you have to do outside of going to class?

so i've heard a lot about rochester students spending lots of time in class, there aren't as many afternoons free compared to other schools, etc... is this a disadvantage? is there still time to do research or volunteering? are students more worn out with this schedule? how much studying do you have to do outside of going to class?

Yes, some of our days are long. In the first two years, you have your "basic science" class every day from 8-12. This often turns out to be 2 hours of lecture and then 2 hours of lab or PBL. 3 afternoons a week you have your clinical class. Once you get to ACE (ambulatory clerkship), one of these afternoons is spent at your preceptor's office.

So sure, maybe we spend more time in school compared to some other schools. But I don't mind it. I figure, I'm going to be a doctor in 4 years... someone's got to show me how. Plus, if you're not one for lecture, it's not required. I go because I think it's helpful. Also, our afternoon schedules sometimes look heavy because they always say 1-5. I would say we rarely stay till 5. Like today I had ACE and we got out at 3. So I can't tell you if it would be a disadvantage for you... but its not for me. We get our clinic time in early so that we have more elective time in 3rd year. If a few afternoons is the price I have to pay for that, I'll take it.

I don't know of many people who do research during the year, but yes, there is plenty of time for volunteering. Most of my class takes part in some type of activity. I don't believe we're more worn out than any other med student at a different school. And as for studying... that's very individualistic. Some people go straight home and study till they go to sleep, some people get by w/ barely anything. I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle-- I like to get at least a couple hours in a night, and of course ramping it up once the test gets closer, but still have time to do things for myself.

I've been hearing a lot of talk from students at some of the other schools I'm considering that PDAs are required (or highly recommended) all 4 years of school. I have not seen that directly at Rochester but I am seeing that the U of R library offers some free reference downloads.

I'm trying to decide if I need one now and budget in a PDA. Maybe I can get a deal because I need to renew my phone contract anyway. I am looking at a palm because I've heard there are more refs available and that it is easier to use. Suggestions? What are other people doing?

Thanks!!!!

I've been hearing a lot of talk from students at some of the other schools I'm considering that PDAs are required (or highly recommended) all 4 years of school. I have not seen that directly at Rochester but I am seeing that the U of R library offers some free reference downloads.

I'm trying to decide if I need one now and budget in a PDA. Maybe I can get a deal because I need to renew my phone contract anyway. I am looking at a palm because I've heard there are more refs available and that it is easier to use. Suggestions? What are other people doing?

Thanks!!!!

You do not need a PDA for first year and I've only heard of a couple 2nd years using them. I'm pretty sure we do have free downloads.

I have a Palm Centro as a phone right now that can be used as a PDA. I didn't buy it for the PDA function, but more because it was only 60 bucks. But, I guess if I ever want to use it as one, its there.

If you're set on getting one, Palm is the oldest, so it probably has the most available to it. Apple is coming out w/ a lot for their iPhone, though. I don't know much about the Windows based ones.

Just received my financial aid package from rochester and my state school. The COA is going to be about $15k/year more at rochester. Its going to be really hard for me to choose now... I was hoping for more financial aid from rochester :(

Thanks!!!!

I'm a blackberry user, so that's what I'll have. I like how quick they receive emails, plus I'm addicted to them lol. I've looked online and they have a good bit of med applications.

Just received my financial aid package from rochester and my state school. The COA is going to be about $15k/year more at rochester. Its going to be really hard for me to choose now... I was hoping for more financial aid from rochester :(

For what it's worth... I was in the same situation. I knew Rochester fit me better, but it seemed like a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, it is. I spoke w/ Dean Hansen about it and he told me something that is so obvious, yet good to hear: You will be able to pay it back. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra money to be happier for 4 years. Med school stresses even the best of us out... I chose to be in a community that helps me to deal w/ it, even though the price tag was a bit higher.

For what it's worth... I was in the same situation. I knew Rochester fit me better, but it seemed like a lot of money. Don't get me wrong, it is. I spoke w/ Dean Hansen about it and he told me something that is so obvious, yet good to hear: You will be able to pay it back. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra money to be happier for 4 years. Med school stresses even the best of us out... I chose to be in a community that helps me to deal w/ it, even though the price tag was a bit higher.

I know what you mean and I will probably let my second look weekend help me make the decision. My state school is actually one of the most reputable state schools, however, I definitely think I would be happier at Rochester. I was hoping the financial aid would make the decision easier but both schools gave me the same amount of aid, making the tuition difference the same.

Hello everyone!

Have any of you taken the week long enrichment program the week before school started? (basic science, labs, etc) If so, did you think it was worth it? Thanks a lot! :)

Anyone else notice that Rochester moved up 5 spots in the new US News rankings? One more sign that I made the right decision

Kudos to Rochester, they are clearly doing something right. Can't wait till fall...though ill probably be saying the exact opposite when it comes.

Anyone else notice that Rochester moved up 5 spots in the new US News rankings? One more sign that I made the right decision

Kudos to Rochester, they are clearly doing something right. Can't wait till fall...though ill probably be saying the exact opposite when it comes.

Yeah, Rochester! Proud and looking forward. :thumbup:

so i have heard from a few people that at&t doesn't have much reception inside the academic building and the hospital. is this true? i am currently on at&t and was planning on getting an iphone, etc. should i switch to verizon?

so i have heard from a few people that at&t doesn't have much reception inside the academic building and the hospital. is this true? i am currently on at&t and was planning on getting an iphone, etc. should i switch to verizon?

There are dead spots for both AT&T and verizon in the hospital (and any other carrier- just the way hospitals are I suppose). I've had both services and notice no difference in dead spots in the hospital or in Rochester in general.

Go ahead and get that iPhone. They are great.

Rochester....here I come!!! Heard from Dr. Hansen about 30 minutes before my final presentation today. Had just a little bit of trouble focusing, but I bet I'll manage. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in the fall!

Rochester....here I come!!! Heard from Dr. Hansen about 30 minutes before my final presentation today. Had just a little bit of trouble focusing, but I bet I'll manage. Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you in the fall!

Welcome aboard!

:hardy::hardy::hardy::hardy:

Congrats.

Has anyone seen the inside of the University Park housing or any of the upper classmen living there have some pics? Can anyone give me a review of the apartment complex?