University of South Florida College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwilsonUF

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see one for USF so I figured I would go ahead and start one. Does any current USF students have any advice/stats to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't see one for USF so I figured I would go ahead and start one. Does any current USF students have any advice/stats to share?

Hey I am a student of the Class of 2015 at USF-COP. Could you be a little bit more specific about the advice you're looking to recieve? (Admissions, classes, school choice, etc.)

I was regular decision for the C/o 2015. I graduated with a bachelors in BioMedical Sciences from USF in 2011(my GPA was approx. 3.4), and I scored very well on the PCAT.

Hey I am a student of the Class of 2015 at USF-COP. Could you be a little bit more specific about the advice you're looking to recieve? (Admissions, classes, school choice, etc.)

I was regular decision for the C/o 2015. I graduated with a bachelors in BioMedical Sciences from USF in 2011(my GPA was approx. 3.4), and I scored very well on the PCAT.

Thanks for the reply! Well I am receiving my bachelors in Microbiology and Cell Science from UF next spring with a 3.35 GPA and a 3.1 Science GPA. I got a 87 composite on the PCAT with a 93 in chemistry. I have experience shadowing a Pharmacist and I've done research in pharmaceutical science for over a year and have a publication. I basically want to see what my chances are of getting into USF. Thanks so much for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what you've said it sounds like you have a very good chance of getting into USF. Their application process is very holistic; they look at everything. So if you have one area that is a little weak it can be offset by a strong area.

Have you considered doing early decision? I think the applications for that just opened up. Let me know if you have any other questions too!

When do interview invites usually get sent out?

I'm applying here as well! This is one of the schools I'd like to attend, but I'm a bit concerned since it isn't fully accredited yet. Are the students who graduate from these schools worse off than students who graduate from fully accredited schools?

When do interview invites usually get sent out?

Early admission : Sept - Oct (if you are not interviewed here, your application goes to regular admission)

Regular admission : Nov - Jan (depending on scores and application date)

I think this is correct. If you want to know exact dates, call or email USF COP (look at website for contact info).

I'm applying here as well! This is one of the schools I'd like to attend, but I'm a bit concerned since it isn't fully accredited yet. Are the students who graduate from these schools worse off than students who graduate from fully accredited schools?

USF COP students would not be "worse off." There are differences in curriculum, yet overall the education is comparable to other schools. As a current student I am not worried and actually feel ahead.

If there are any more questions regarding accreditation, please view USFCOP page.

If you have any general questions, they may already be answered in previous USF COP threads for 2016 and 2015. Please search for these threads.

Good luck applying! :thumbup:

My best advice would be to refer to the ACPE website, which explains the accreditation process for PharmD programs. The USF College of Pharmacy website also has this information posted on their website.

As a current USF student, accreditation was never really a factor in my decision to come here once I learned about the process. Never has a pharmacy school reached 2 of the 3 accreditation steps and failed to receive full accreditation.

Remember that all PharmD programs go through this process on an ongoing basis.

I would be happy to answer any more questions on here or through PM.

I have just recieved an interview invitation for early decision.
what are the percentage of interview invites actually get accepted?
and do you have any advice on how to prepare for the interview?

Does USF make you fill out their supplemental only if they want to interview you?

Hello, everyone! I am not planning to apply this cycle, however, I welcome any insight as to how to improve my application for the next cycle. Unfortunately, I carried poor habits with me, along with an impressive resume of "life circumstances," my first few years of college. Needless to say I have dug myself quite a hole. I have not taken a science course in about a year and a half and have resumed doing so this semester. My last academic year, although non-science, has begun a nice upward trend: 3.6, 3.8, and 4.0 respectively. I am re-taking the organic chemistry courses, along with the other courses needed to complete my degree in December. I was originally a Molecular and Microbiology major, but I changed majors after a bad break-up and the death of my grandfather all during finals week spring of 2011:cry:. As it stands I should graduate this December with a 3.01 GPA as calculated via the PHARMCAS formula. My science GPA, however, will be around a 2.5, and is not likely to move much no matter how long I take courses! Because of this, I am worried about my chances of matriculating into pharmacy school. I have worked for CVS for 3.5 years, the last of which was full-time as the lead technician. I recently dropped CVS to part-time and began working full-time at a hospital community pharmacy that specializes in organ transplant, hepatitis, and oncology drugs as a certified pharmacy technician. I am on track to be moved into the organ transplant center and promoted to "Pharmacy Benefits and Patient Care Coordinator" in the beginning of 2013. I should be meeting with a representative of USF October 10, 2012 to discuss how to improve my credentials, but I'm super nervous. I really :love: love this field and am so grateful to have been exposed to clinical pharmacy! I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I plan to take it around May or June after completing calculus. I am frustrated because my transcripts do not reflect my capabilities, and I do not know what else I can do about my past other than try to maintain the slope I have begun to set. At my time of application I will have 4.5 years with CVS under my belt and about a year at the hospital, and a detrimental amount of active student organization leadership roles from the first three years of college.

Any further suggestions? I appreciate you taking the time to read the novel I wrote. Good luck to every one applying this year! :xf:

Work hard, keep your faith, and don't let anyone knock you down!

Hello, everyone! I am not planning to apply this cycle, however, I welcome any insight as to how to improve my application for the next cycle. Unfortunately, I carried poor habits with me, along with an impressive resume of "life circumstances," my first few years of college. Needless to say I have dug myself quite a hole. I have not taken a science course in about a year and a half and have resumed doing so this semester. My last academic year, although non-science, has begun a nice upward trend: 3.6, 3.8, and 4.0 respectively. I am re-taking the organic chemistry courses, along with the other courses needed to complete my degree in December. I was originally a Molecular and Microbiology major, but I changed majors after a bad break-up and the death of my grandfather all during finals week spring of 2011:cry:. As it stands I should graduate this December with a 3.01 GPA as calculated via the PHARMCAS formula. My science GPA, however, will be around a 2.5, and is not likely to move much no matter how long I take courses! Because of this, I am worried about my chances of matriculating into pharmacy school. I have worked for CVS for 3.5 years, the last of which was full-time as the lead technician. I recently dropped CVS to part-time and began working full-time at a hospital community pharmacy that specializes in organ transplant, hepatitis, and oncology drugs as a certified pharmacy technician. I am on track to be moved into the organ transplant center and promoted to "Pharmacy Benefits and Patient Care Coordinator" in the beginning of 2013. I should be meeting with a representative of USF October 10, 2012 to discuss how to improve my credentials, but I'm super nervous. I really :love: love this field and am so grateful to have been exposed to clinical pharmacy! I have not taken the PCAT yet, but I plan to take it around May or June after completing calculus. I am frustrated because my transcripts do not reflect my capabilities, and I do not know what else I can do about my past other than try to maintain the slope I have begun to set. At my time of application I will have 4.5 years with CVS under my belt and about a year at the hospital, and a detrimental amount of active student organization leadership roles from the first three years of college.

Any further suggestions? I appreciate you taking the time to read the novel I wrote. Good luck to every one applying this year! :xf:

Work hard, keep your faith, and don't let anyone knock you down!

From what I read it sounds like you have a strong upward trend. Your sci GPA will be looked at, and I would encourage you to do the best you can in your sciences from here on out. Doing very well on the science sections of the PCAT will surely improve your chances, and help offset your sci GPA. Keep on going and don't give up!

USF wants well rounded candidates where everyone brings something different from a different background (ie diversity).

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone apply to Early Decision? I got my acceptance call on Friday! Super excited!

Did anyone apply to Early Decision? I got my acceptance call on Friday! Super excited!

Congratulations! I didn't apply for early decision because I wasn't even considering pharmacy until this past summer. I still plan on applying here regardless of accreditation status though I'm a bit skeptical on how I'll size up to the rest of the competition. My stats are below.

Overall GPA - 2.9
Science GPA - 2.8 (both GPAs are estimated; I haven't sent in the transcripts to PharmCAS yet)

PCAT - 91 composite (with a 98 in chemistry and 91 in bio)

I have only around 80 hours under my belt interning in a retail pharmacy, but I expect to have somewhere around 200 total hours before next summer comes around. ECs including being a licensed USSF Grade 8 referee for 8 years (9th year starting now) and also holding a NSCAA Advanced Regional coaching license for 4 years (5th year starting now). I've officiated over 500 games and coached U-16 and U-17 division III and I teams.

I know GPA is a major roadblock for me, but I'm kinda hoping my PCAT score can offset it to an extent. What do you think?

I know GPA is a major roadblock for me, but I'm kinda hoping my PCAT score can offset it to an extent. What do you think?

You should definately apply. We have a holistic admissions philosophy and therefore your PCAT scores could very well offset your GPA. We are most concerned with there being enough evidence to suggest you can successfully complete the program. We are also seeking mature students with advanced critical thinking skills willing to go the extra mile to achieve excellence. Therefore, in reviewing your file, we would look at whether or not you have had poor grades at one point and time and if there has been enough time since having poor grades to show upward progress. We would also look at your most recent semesters to identify if you have taken full semesters of science courses with good grades to show evidence of your ability to handle the rigors of the program. One concern that you might consider is how you will articulate in an interview having lower grades when your PCAT score indicates that you are capable of excellence. Were you underachieving due to bordom and a lack of effort? Did you have a traumatic life circumstance? Did you simply have a lack of direction and passion? The committee will want to further understand this, and it might be helpful to include it on your essay on the supplemental application. Hope this helps!

You should definately apply. We have a holistic admissions philosophy and therefore your PCAT scores could very well offset your GPA. We are most concerned with there being enough evidence to suggest you can successfully complete the program. We are also seeking mature students with advanced critical thinking skills willing to go the extra mile to achieve excellence. Therefore, in reviewing your file, we would look at whether or not you have had poor grades at one point and time and if there has been enough time since having poor grades to show upward progress. We would also look at your most recent semesters to identify if you have taken full semesters of science courses with good grades to show evidence of your ability to handle the rigors of the program. One concern that you might consider is how you will articulate in an interview having lower grades when your PCAT score indicates that you are capable of excellence. Were you underachieving due to bordom and a lack of effort? Did you have a traumatic life circumstance? Did you simply have a lack of direction and passion? The committee will want to further understand this, and it might be helpful to include it on your essay on the supplemental application. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I really appreciate the insight you've given me. Some people have said that the PCAT is not going to really affect one's application for better or worse so that shook me up quite a bit. I'm fully well aware that my GPA can significantly set me back and that it's imperative that I do what I can to offset it through an upward trend in my final year in undergrad, ECs and the personal statement. It's going to be an uphill battle for me from here on out.

Again, thanks for the help. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

Congratulations! I got accepted as well for early decision. I'm excited to get to know the class of 2017! Good luck to all other applicants. The interview was not treacherous, so don't sweat it.

When I spoke to an adviser, I was informed that the committee is looking at the whole picture. Therefore, if you have a very low PCAT score, they are looking for other factors (i.e. gpa and extracurriculars) to make up for it. I had a lower-end gpa (3.09 overall and sub-3.0 science), but with a 93 PCAT, I proved that I have the knowledge. Since USF has a minimum of a 65th percentile for the PCAT, I would retake the PCAT just in case. They will look at scores lower than that if you're well-rounded. What did you do to prepare for the test?

It says Supplemental needs to be received by december 3rd, is it too late to e-submit to this school? My app isn't even verified yet.

Does USF give preference to in-state?

I read on the PharmCAS directory for USF that they go through a holistic review process for all applicants, so it's likely that there is going to be no preference for in/oos students.

What do current students think of the program?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Just submitted my application yesterday. Kinda stressing and crossing my fingers at the same time cuz my pharmacist's LoR hasn't come in yet and I'm hoping it comes in soon.

the first interview invites will be given out this week! please post if you receive an invite and let us know the dates being offered. thanks and good luck!

They had already sent out an email with the dates early in November:

If selected, you be invited to participate in an on-campus interview on one of the following dates:

1/31
2/1, 2/6, 2/8, 2/13, 2/15, 2/19, 2/22, 2/26
3/1, 3/6, 3/8, 3/13, 3/15, 3/20, 3/22, 3/27

Invites will be given out starting the 19th :)

They had already sent out an email with the dates early in November:

If selected, you be invited to participate in an on-campus interview on one of the following dates:

1/31
2/1, 2/6, 2/8, 2/13, 2/15, 2/19, 2/22, 2/26
3/1, 3/6, 3/8, 3/13, 3/15, 3/20, 3/22, 3/27

Invites will be given out starting the 19th :)

the information I needed :).... thank you kmichelle!

I got a call from them today with an interview invitation. A couple of hours after they sent me an email with all the information needed. It's called an Interviewee Package and it has directions, some instructions and some forms that need to be filled out and signed before hand (I think you have to print them on your own and have them filled out and ready for the interview day). My interview date was 1/31.

I got an interview invite yesterday. But I already got accepted to UF and I'm going there, so another spot will be opening up. Good luck everyone!

I just received an email today for an interview!
I know they conduct MMI's and I''m pretty nervous and scared because I've never been interviewed with that format. I'm doing plenty of research now, but if there are any students who are already in and would like to share some tips, I'm sure we would all GREATLY appreciate it :)

Invited for interview today as well. :)

I just received an email today for an interview!
I know they conduct MMI's and I''m pretty nervous and scared because I've never been interviewed with that format. I'm doing plenty of research now, but if there are any students who are already in and would like to share some tips, I'm sure we would all GREATLY appreciate it :)
Make sure you have talking points. Like 'Naomad339' said, it goes by really quickly and I know I would have preferred MMI over any other style of interview. You get to see the question before you walk into the room, so you have time to think about what you'll say. By the time you finish talking, you're out of time. Some of them will ask you a follow-up question if there's time. You can do it! You'll be surprised how smooth the process is. Good luck!

Congrats to those offered interviews! I personally enjoyed the USF interview the best because of the MMI! There is some great advice in here on how to prepare for it. Dress professionally, and be yourself. You all should get the opportunity to talk with faculty and some students during your interview day, so also be ready to ask questions!

Good luck and GO BULLS! :thumbup:

Got an interview invite today on 2/26. Anybody else have the same date?

congrats on your interview invite! were you able to pick your interview date or did they assign one to you? I'm anxiously waiting...

Thanks! They assigned a date for me, but I don't know if I can change it. I'd like to because I have my anatomy lab and that's kinda...well mandatory to attend.

Believe it or not, I got the interview invite via email 3 days after USF got my application. I was kinda blown away cuz that's extremely fast for a school to get back to anyone, IMO.

Wow, that is fast! You must be a competitive applicant. :thumbup: I submitted my docs just before the Dec 3rd deadline. There was some question whether or not they would accept some of my science courses, but it is all cleared up now. I'm not sure when I will hear from them, but hopefully soon. Congrats again, and good luck with this interview and any others that may be coming up. :D

Thanks haha, but I'm really not a competitive applicant. I only have a 2.9 GPA and a 91 composite on the PCAT. GPA kills me and it's pretty much been an uphill battle for all of college.

Ah, no, I wish I did. I was assigned February 13th. :(

Ah, no, I wish I did. I was assigned February 13th. :(

I wish I had your interview date. Mine lands on a Tuesday and I'll be missing all of my Monday and Tuesday classes, maybe even Wednesday. I highly doubt that a professional school interview is considered a "good excuse" to miss class. :eek:

Nope, I asked. My physics professor said in the most polite way possible, "I think not."

Hi everyone! I am a second year at USF, and I remember going through the application cycle a couple years ago... Let me know if you have any questions (either here or through PM)

Also, for any of you who are planning on applying in the future or want to learn more about the program, The USF College of Pharmacy hosts information sessions with current students. The next one will be on February 1st, 2013. Check out the website to sign up.

Good luck everyone! :)

I'm actually quite unimpressed with the Admissions Committee. I have experienced not just one, but two different experiences. It's sad when an Admission Committee fails to acknowledge that everything on your application is actually correct and requires our time and effort to correct their mistakes. Imagine if all pharmacy schools did that, how much time it would require on our part.

And what kind of Pharmacy School automatically goes to voicemail?

Anybody else have similar experiences?

From my experience, I have not had any trouble contacting anyone in the college, through the matriculation process or currently. You might have perhaps attempted to contact someone in the College when they were not available/on vacation, etc.

USF requires more from their applicants not only in pre-requisite coursework, but in professionalism and maturity. You seem to be having a bad experience with getting your pre-reqs verified that they actually meet the requirements?