University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waldowaldo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,

does anyone have any info to share about this program? or any of the other florida programs? i've searched and searched but there is not much in regards to resident lifestyle, call schedule, etc...

thanks!

waldo

Members don't see this ad.

This is sort of rumor but...

USF=malignant
UF=good strong all-around program
Mayo Jax=small new program with mayo name and attendings, cush schedule
Miami=very strong clinically, rep as workhorse, residents better know espanol

Members don't see this ad :)
USF = Word is they have been on probation for a while now and are in risk of losing accredidation
UF = Very strong program with a great critical care track
Mayo - Jax = Good program. Fairly new so hard to judge quality, but it is mayo so can't be bad.

Starting from the north...

Mayo-Jax: Was impressed with the program. Relaxed schedule, residents treated very well, Mayo name, just down the road from the beach, huge liver tx program. That said, it's awfully new, lots of CRNA's, unsure about the rest of the caseload. If UF wasn't so strong (with a strong history too), this program could be #1; give it some time, it's gonna be a star.

UF: Super-strong program, easily the best in the state, one of the best in the Southeast. Other programs often commented on how strong UF was on the interview trail. Strong Chair and PD, excellent didactics (every morning), wide and strong caseload, anesthesia "runs" CCM (not entirely closed though, surgeons are included in management; I consider this good), excellent simulator (invented here at UF), good climate, superb football coached by the "Urban legend", very cool research (nano, neural networks, etc)

USF: Should be strong, but it's not. Probationary status recently. One resident I met, formerly from there, hated it with a passion, had scary things to say.

Miami: Used to be malignant, getting better all the time now. New chair recently. Awesome caseload, perhaps unparalleled, education improving I hear. Gonna be strong real soon. Large Spanish-speaking population, could pose a communication barrier if you're not prepared.

RE: USF was the only applicant under 30 yrs old without an existing MD and was pulled aside by a CA-3 and told to run as fast as I could away from the place.

I believe USF is on probation. As of yesterday, 3/11, they have a new program director who is very competent. He is Duke trained and was faculty there as well as program director at SUNY Upstate for 17 years.
For know USF is likely a risky proposition but I think that Dr. Camporesi will turn the program around.

About Miami/Jackson... why aren't more people rating this hospital in their top 10? The caseload is awesome, they have all the high tech gizmons, and it's in Miami. I know you have to work hard but the residency training is still going to be less than 70hrs/wk. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

A lot of the patients in Miami only speak Spanish. Anesthesia is a fast pace specialty. Homey ain't got no time to run and get an interpreter and deal with all that. Just slows you down and adds to the frustration.Hiv population is large. Anesthesia deals with lots of fluids,needles and you're learning-- not a healthy mix. My 2 centavos...

I'm on west coast in gas residency, but I have a good friend who is a CA2 at USF and if he could he'd run like crazy. The new Chair is a no-show. The program is ran with God-like power by the PD, Dr. Mangar, who according to my friend seems to think the residents are his own private army of CRNA's. He almost NEVER works with residents - only with the CRNA's. What does that tell you? It is one of, if not the only programs in the U.S. ran by a private practice group rather than hospital academics.

From what I understand the case load is incredible and you do see it all, so lots of hands-on experience, but there is little teaching going on. It's a shame really because if they weren’t so focused on money it could be a great program. It's all there, just not the right motivation.

marble1 said:
I'm on west coast in gas residency, but I have a good friend who is a CA2 at USF and if he could he'd run like crazy. The new Chair is a no-show. The program is ran with God-like power by the PD, Dr. Mangar, who according to my friend seems to think the residents are his own private army of CRNA's. He almost NEVER works with residents - only with the CRNA's. What does that tell you? It is one of, if not the only programs in the U.S. ran by a private practice group rather than hospital academics.

From what I understand the case load is incredible and you do see it all, so lots of hands-on experience, but there is little teaching going on. It's a shame really because if they weren’t so focused on money it could be a great program. It's all there, just not the right motivation.
Thats all Bull****, I currently graduated from USF and the program is 100x better than it was before. Yes, the case load is incredible but that how it was when I was a CA1. During my CA2 year the program fell apart and residents where twiddling thier thumbs half the time. Now its back to the way it was supposed to be since Mangar took over. Its as strong or stronger than many programs I have recently interviewd at for jobs. As for Mangar, Yeah he runs a tight ship. But, he's fair, he makes sure residents get timely breaks and lunch. If you need a day off or have to leave early he will cover for you without any questions. In additon, mangar often buys residents coffee, throws the occasional party for residents. You tell me, have you ever seen a program chair do that. Another strength of the program is the regional month. I personally did over 200 blocks in one month including Interscalene, supraclavicular, infraclavicular, femoral, sciatic, axillary. Also placing posterior cervical catheter. Strong emphasis on research. Overall, the information you recieved was innacurate and in my opinion USF is a Strong program and will likely be a top program within the next 10 years.
I would also like to add, 19 out of 21 resdients in our CA3 class passed their anesthesia boards. 90% board passing rate

Reactions: 1 user
md2k said:
Thats all Bull****, I currently graduated from USF and the program is 100x better than it was before. Yes, the case load is incredible but that how it was when I was a CA1. During my CA2 year the program fell apart and residents where twiddling thier thumbs half the time. Now its back to the way it was supposed to be since Mangar took over. Its as strong or stronger than many programs I have recently interviewd at for jobs. As for Mangar, Yeah he runs a tight ship. But, he's fair, he makes sure residents get timely breaks and lunch. If you need a day off or have to leave early he will cover for you without any questions. In additon, mangar often buys residents coffee, throws the occasional party for residents. You tell me, have you ever seen a program chair do that. Another strength of the program is the regional month. I personally did over 200 blocks in one month including Interscalene, supraclavicular, infraclavicular, femoral, sciatic, axillary. Also placing posterior cervical catheter. Strong emphasis on research. Overall, the information you recieved was innacurate and in my opinion USF is a Strong program and will likely be a top program within the next 10 years.
I would also like to add, 19 out of 21 resdients in our CA3 class passed their anesthesia boards. 90% board passing rate

Who the **** are you Jackass. I think your story is a plant to make the program look better than it is for some reason. You are 180 degrees out from EVERYTHING I've read anywhere online about USF. How is it you're the only one with positive things to say?

LiveWireSucks said:
Who the **** are you Jackass. I think your story is a plant to make the program look better than it is for some reason. You are 180 degrees out from EVERYTHING I've read anywhere online about USF. How is it you're the only one with positive things to say?
I am the guy who would beat your ass if you were in front of me. Everything I said is true. So **** all the bullcrap you have read. Why dont you contact a resident at USF and ask them. I myself am a former resident asswipe

Members don't see this ad :)
gaslord said:
About Miami/Jackson... why aren't more people rating this hospital in their top 10? The caseload is awesome, they have all the high tech gizmons, and it's in Miami. I know you have to work hard but the residency training is still going to be less than 70hrs/wk. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

I got invited to interview there but I don't know much about the program. I think I will cancel.

toughlife said:
I got invited to interview there but I don't know much about the program. I think I will cancel.

Yo cancel that with a quickness if I were you...good luck competing for a GOOD job in florida with UF, MIAMI, MAYO competition. Better off studying out of state and returning, IF you are planning to practice in Florida. IF not, u can take your chances and hope nobody remembers how bad it was or still is. just my $0.02. I say MIAMI is by far one of the best programs in the country right now. Reason people aren't ranking it with the best of them, and I do mean BEST of them is because it is Spanish heavy. No prob for me. MIAMI is the most BADASS cuidad in the US hands down. Good luck on the interview trail fellas. :)

md2k said:
I am the guy who would beat your ass if you were in front of me. Everything I said is true. So **** all the bullcrap you have read. Why dont you contact a resident at USF and ask them. I myself am a former resident asswipe

Hey guys, easy. I'm sorry I said anything. That one guy is right, I'm just passing on hearsay. In the end passing with a good board score is what counts. In general BC is BC. I spoke with my friend again and he looked at what I wrote, but did not want sign up and respond himself. He's worried enough as it is. However, his comments were like any program their is good and bad aspects. The great thing about TGH compared to Miami is very little HIV and the all that goes with that scene, while still a huge level 1 trauma center. A massive and diverse caseload from day one as a CA1. (No Spanish needed.)

Yes, the attendings need to get adjusted to running a program and spend more time teaching and less time being worried about speed. I'm at UCLA, which has a great program, but I'm not seeing near the cases my friend is as far as sheer numbers go. My last comment and then I'm out is, at USF if your willing to hit the books and search for mentors you will do just fine. At the end of the residency you will have had more hands-on experience than you would have had at most of the BIG programs. Experience is a great teacher, and even though he is not happy about some things at USF even he concedes that anyone coming out of this program will be more than ready to confidently jump into private practice when it's all over.

marble1 said:
Hey guys, easy. I'm sorry I said anything. That one guy is right, I'm just passing on hearsay. In the end passing with a good board score is what counts. In general BC is BC. I spoke with my friend again and he looked at what I wrote, but did not want sign up and respond himself. He's worried enough as it is. However, his comments were like any program their is good and bad aspects. The great thing about TGH compared to Miami is very little HIV and the all that goes with that scene, while still a huge level 1 trauma center. A massive and diverse caseload from day one as a CA1. (No Spanish needed.)

Yes, the attendings need to get adjusted to running a program and spend more time teaching and less time being worried about speed. I'm at UCLA, which has a great program, but I'm not seeing near the cases my friend is as far as sheer numbers go. My last comment and then I'm out is, at USF if your willing to hit the books and search for mentors you will do just fine. At the end of the residency you will have had more hands-on experience than you would have had at most of the BIG programs. Experience is a great teacher, and even though he is not happy about some things at USF even he concedes that anyone coming out of this program will be more than ready to confidently jump into private practice when it's all over.

The new chairman- Enrico Camporesi is trying to pull the program togther and improve the teaching from faculty.
But the case load experience is great, However I think the residents push the 80 hr work rules

md2k said:
But, he's fair, he makes sure residents get timely breaks and lunch. If you need a day off or have to leave early he will cover for you without any questions. In additon, mangar often buys residents coffee, throws the occasional party for residents. You tell me, have you ever seen a program chair do that.

From what I've heard, that's the norm for a lot of programs.

adleyinga said:
The new chairman- Enrico Camporesi is trying to pull the program togther and improve the teaching from faculty.
But the case load experience is great, However I think the residents push the 80 hr work rules
On the average most residents are working 60 to 65 hrs per week. However, when working on cardiac you may at times push the 80 hr work week.

Mman said:
From what I've heard, that's the norm for a lot of programs.
That may be the norm for most programs but it wasn't at USF.

I guess we'll know a lot more in two weeks after ACGME visits. USF has been on continuous probation for about three years. Is full accreditation coming or not? I'd love to be able to read the RRC reports.

The Pill Counter said:
I guess we'll know a lot more in two weeks after ACGME visits. USF has been on continuous probation for about three years. Is full accreditation coming or not? I'd love to be able to read the RRC reports.

RRC visited USF today and things look good!!!!!!!!!!!!