University of St Augustine Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MRamz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have a personal interview at University of St. Augustine San Marcos later this month. I am trying to get into the OT program. Has anyone here gone through the interview process at USA? I would appreciate any insight as to what to expect. I am very nervous about it!

Thanks!
Maria

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm wondering the same thing as the person before. I'm having an interview on August 3rd at the main campus in Florida for MOT starting Jan 2013.

Thanks!

When I interview at San Marcos it was a 3 step process. There was a small tour of the campus, the actual interview, and then a section of time to speak to current students. There was also a small period where they discussed the process of the interview. The actual interview is an opportunity for you to discuss your experience in the field and how you are capable of handling a very busy graduate program.

Hope all goes well. If you are not from the area and looking for where students eat close by, I would check out Tina's Deli. A lot of students go there during the lunch hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please let us know of sample interview questions? Are they pretty in depth or is it a general OT question, mainly focusing on your writing skills?

Thank you for your input!

it's late now, but for future applicants, my essay question was: What are the advantages and disadvantages of our healthcare system?

i got in :D did anybody else get the call today?!

I will most likely be attending St. Augustine and at the San Marcos campus. I am going to apply to CSU Dominguez Hills, as it is much more affordable, but I know my odds of getting in are slim!

Are you a current student at USA?

I will most likely be attending St. Augustine and at the San Marcos campus. I am going to apply to CSU Dominguez Hills, as it is much more affordable, but I know my odds of getting in are slim!

Are you a current student at USA?

Good luck with Dominguez Hills. Loans aren't fun. I attend the San Marcos campus.

Of those of you who got in and are starting Jan 2013, are all of you in the DPT program? I interviewed for the dual program in late July this year and haven't heard anything yet :(

Everyone I know so far who's gotten the call is in the DPT program, so I'm hoping they're calling one program at a time :D

you could probably call them sometime this week to see what your status is, since this will be week three. good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
frootloops- could you please remind us future students what the attire is for classes? i feel like white polos or t-shirts were one thing we needed? i'd like to be able to prepare for the little things in advance. thank you for your help!

I found out less than a week after my interview, crazy!

Has any other info been sent besides the packets we had to fill out?

Thanks,

Stephanie

Viola2 - I have been very busy, sorry for the delayed reply. You have a few sets of clothing requirements. 1. Lab attire. 2. General attire. 3. Professional attire.

1. lab clothes - white t's (go to target, hanes t's in the men's section are like $7 for a set of 5), gym shorts, and sports bras (for girls).
2. general attire - jeans, blouse for girls. or jeans and polo for men. When I first started, I thought the clothing rules were over the top. However, it's not that bad, and it's not like you need to buy a new wardrobe. As long as you aren't wearing something obscene, you'll be fine.
3. professional attire - suit. You are warned well ahead of time when you need to wear professional attire.

Lastly, I would recommend getting a locker in building B and just keeping a set of lab clothes there, so you don't have to remember to always bring a set. Also, when you first begin, just store your gait belt and goniometers in your locker, so if your class ever requires it... you can just run to your locker before class and pick it up. Not so bad.

The first term is crazy, but it's only 4 months and you will live. Review a bit of anatomy if you can.

This reply is very late but I hope it can help someone in the future. There interview was not as bad as I thought. It is a group interview in an office with one of the professors. The professor we got was super nice and it all went very smoothly. One of the interviewees was a no show so there was only two of us in the interview. She actually ran of questions at the end and asked us if we had any questions. I asked her how we did she said that she thinks we would be great OTs!! :)

Here are some of the questions I remember:
1. What are your strengths and weaknesses?
2. What would you do if you caught a classmate cheating? Would you feel comfortable turning them in?
3. What is a leader?
4. When was the last time you had a confrontation and how did u handle it?
5. What to you is a healthy lifestyle?
7. How do you handle stress?
8. What do you think could be a roadblock for you?
9. How would you convince someone to stop doing something that was harming them (ex. smoking, drugs, texting while driving...)?

Essay Question:
It went something like... what are values you think a therapist should possess? Provide examples of these from your volunteer experience.

I got into USA as well! I'm waiting to hear from CSUDH though. Anybody have an idea when CSUDH sends out the results???

Reactions: 1 user
MRamz, CSUDH usually sends out acceptances around thanksgiving/weeks following thanksgiving.

And FYI, apparently they received over 300 applications for this cycle. (Last year they received over 250, the year before about 200 if you want some context for that number.) Good luck.

At University of St. Augustine, do they look at GPA cumulative at a BS/BA degree or at GPA cumulative of prerequisites? Someone please help.

If someone went to their interviews I would love to hear some insights on how the interview went and questions asked.

Thanks so much!

Congratulations on getting in. Would it be ok if you can share how you got in the MOT program at University of St. Augustine? What was your cumulative GPA for prerequisite work? how many volunteer hours did you do? and any other information that can bring some insight to help me have a greater chance in getting in the MOT program at University of St. Augustine.

Thank you!

Hi!

Here's my stats:
GPA: 3.04
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
Major: BS General Biology
GRE: 159 Quan/157 Verbal/4.5 Writing
Volunteer Hours: ~160hrs (Rehab Center 100 hrs & Pediatric Clinic 60 hrs)

These stats was for my CSUDH application. I posted it in another topic. But for USA I only had 100 hrs volunteer and my GRE score was lower. I scored 560 math/560 verbal, 4 analytical writing.

USA is one of the easier programs to get into to. I have only applied to SJSU and CSUDH though. I did not get in last year. I am waiting for CSUDH to get back to me this time. For USA, you don't need the greatest GPA or GRE score. They look at the overall package.

Good luck with everything!

ahhh just found out i got an interview for St. Augustine for the summer 2013 session!!!!!!! any advice!?
:D
:D

Congratulations! I hope it goes well for you. This is for the MOT program or OTD? Do you mind if I ask which campus you applied for and what were your stats? Once again congratulations and good luck.

Hi NoleOT (and everyone else on here :) )

Congrats on your interview! Wondered if I could please ask you a few questions? I am new to the forum, so please excuse my message if you have already answered them in a previous post...

I also applied to U.S.A for the summer 2013 intake but have yet to hear back from them.... (nervous).

Did they call you or email you? Which campus did you apply for? When's your interview?

Good luck in your interview, there are some previous posts on this site that mention interview info for U.S.A- it took me a while to search for it, but it is there....

Thanks.

Hi NoleOT (and everyone else on here :) )

Congrats on your interview! Wondered if I could please ask you a few questions? I am new to the forum, so please excuse my message if you have already answered them in a previous post...

I also applied to U.S.A for the summer 2013 intake but have yet to hear back from them.... (nervous).

Did they call you or email you? Which campus did you apply for? When's your interview?

Good luck in your interview, there are some previous posts on this site that mention interview info for U.S.A- it took me a while to search for it, but it is there....

Thanks.

I applied for the MOT Program at the St Augustine campus! I recieved an email from them on Monday. but I knew Sunday because you can check your status online! you should have gotten an email about the login a couple of weeks ago. The interview is November 30th!

Last edited:
hey I also have an interview coming up this month for MOT program , can anyone give me some feedback?/ it's gonna be in saint augustine, flr

Hi everyone ,

I have an interview for the MOT program in USA, FL. Has anyone else been invited??
I would like to get in touch with some of the people that will be attending the interview.

Hi All....

Thanks NoleOT. I got an email the following day (sorry I forgot to update this thread)! My interview is also on the 30th at the San Marcos campus!!

Did you hear anything back yet? I got weightlisted for an interview, and then got one last week! I have an interview Friday the 30th.. so nervous!

Hey guys! I figured that I would try and meet a couple of other perspective students. I too have an interview for USA (San Marcos) this Friday. Much like the rest of you, I'm nervous as well. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there on Friday!

Hey guys! I figured that I would try and meet a couple of other perspective students. I too have an interview for USA (San Marcos) this Friday. Much like the rest of you, I'm nervous as well. Maybe I'll see some of you guys there on Friday!

Hey! I have an interview this Friday as well at San Marcos. Where are you coming from and what are you interviewing for? PT/OT?

Also, I was wondering if everyone is up to date on their health care issue knowledge? I read on a previous post they had to write an essay on it. I mean, to what extent are we supposed to know about this topic?

I'm interviewing for the OT program. You? I'm coming from the Temecula area (if you're familiar with the SoCal area). How about you? Ya I saw the same thing on here, I have an idea about current health care issues...although not enough to feel remotely comfortable writing an essay on. I guess we'll find out if that's what they decide to have us write about.

Check your status online yall!
ACCEPTED :D
MOT St Augustine Campus summer 2013!!!

Congratulations NoleOT.

I just got the phone call :D Soooo excited. See you in May!!!!

... and breathe.....

Mine said something along the lines of.... "You have been invited to interview..."

Sorry, I read that wrong! Before interview it said something like "Your application is being reviewed..."

Hi everyone. I got the acceptance notice yesterday as well. MOT starting in May in St. Augustine!

HI everybody.
I try to apply for next spring term for MOT program in St.Augustine.
I have my master degree. do you think it is better not to take a gre exam and apply with master degree?

If a apply with master , can i get loan?

Thank you :)

I was wondering if it was unheard of to get into the University of St. Augustine with a C in A&P I and II. I am taking the first course over again so will hopefully get a much better grade but I have not yet decided if I'm going to take the second one over. And My other grades are much better than these.
Also, does USA take into consideration what Undergrade school you are coming from? I know that I go to one that is known for being a little more difficult than other schools in the area.
Please and thank yous!

:) I have to say, I am extremely disappointed in USA. I had really high hopes when I applied for the Flex OT program, and was invited for an interview, which went extemely well. My GPA is high, I have a MASTERS, I work in Outpatient Rehab setting and had a lot of volunteer hours, yet, I was only put on a post-interview waitlist, whatever that means...Was anyone accepted from the group who interviewed on Apr 13, 2013? one girl who was in my group was bregging about her "connections" to the Director.. :confused:

I can only suggest to improve your overall GPA, especially your grades in the Science classes, if that matters at all.. I had 4.0 GPa in prepreqs, 3.85 overall, and was still put on a waitlist..

Hello All, I've been struggling to find information regarding an accredited OT Master's Program in California. I know University of St. Augustine offers a flex program. Does anyone know if this is only offered in the Florida campus or do they do it in the San Marcos one as well? Also, for those of you in full time programs here in California, is it realistic for me to get a Master's in a full time program while working? Or will I overextend myself. If not, please advise if you have any creative ways of generating income (stipends) while unemployed and going to school. I have a mortgage to pay and can't stop working. Also, I can't find any hospitals in Souther CA that offer loan forgiveness in exchange for a contract after graduation. I don't know where else to go. I tried contacting the schools but it is hard to get a hold of them during my work hours. Maybe one of you can help me.