University of Sydney 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I just added you too

Members don't see this ad.

greatjoe4 life didn't get invitation. Whats your id?
readd me
axz11221

Members don't see this ad :)
Just really curious and was wondering if anybody knew this...how many people usually get interviewed and how many of those get an acceptance?

I read a thread from a while ago about something related to about half of the applicants meet the cutoffs and then about 2 people for 1 seat or something but I think that was for domestic applicants?

Is Sydney interviewing anyone who makes 500 on the new MCAT?

Finished my interview! Now to wait for decisions! I am glad the turn around is pretty short. Good luck to everyone still yet to go. =)

It went really well! Everyone is very nice. I hadn't done an MMI before, so it was definitely an interesting experience. I kind of had fun. haha

It went really well! Everyone is very nice. I hadn't done an MMI before, so it was definitely an interesting experience. I kind of had fun. haha

Nice, any chance you could share question examples?

Nice, any chance you could share question examples?

I can't. It is confidential. You can google MMI sample questions though. For me, it helped to think through answers and practice how to prepare thorough answers to lots of different questions. Hope that helps!

I can't. It is confidential. You can google MMI sample questions though. For me, it helped to think through answers and practice how to prepare thorough answers to lots of different questions. Hope that helps!

I should've known that lol, anyways thanks!

were they all ethical questions?
I personally don't feel comfortable discussing the questions. However, like I said, if you do a good number of sample questions, you will be more than prepared. Hopefully, that helps some!!

Members don't see this ad :)
We really can't discuss interview questions here because they make us sign confidentiality agreement...
Personally I prefer MMI much more to traditional questions.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many international applicants they're interviewing this year

How long does Usyd give you to respond to their offer and send in your deposit (for internationals)?

Does any Canadian applicant know how much OSAP loan can one get for attending USyd med school, and what other types of aids are available to supplement it? Thanks!

Is USyd med school eligible for US federal student loans? I can't find it from its website.

Does any Canadian applicant know how much OSAP loan can one get for attending USyd med school, and what other types of aids are available to supplement it? Thanks!

The only money you'll get is the federal portion. The province gives you zilch.

The only money you'll get is the federal portion. The province gives you zilch.
Thanks for the info! The federal portion is just a little over $10K, but the cost of tuition and living is many times of that. So students have to rely on private loans at high interest rates? What is the prospect of getting research/teaching assistantship, etc. while studying at USyd med school?

Reactions: 1 users
Just got an email asking to do a survey on the MMI and that first batch of decisions will be made on 14 August 2015. So 2 more days of waiting. =)

Just got an email asking to do a survey on the MMI and that first batch of decisions will be made on 14 August 2015. So 2 more days of waiting. =)
do you have any idea on the number interviewed for med?

do you have any idea on the number interviewed for med?

I heard from a friend there were 67 interview slots available (slots were available for August and October for these first rounders) in the first round. I'm assuming there's going to be about 150-200 people who interview for the 80 spots after you add in the slots that open later for second round.....urghhh.

Can somebody count and confirm? Or like, has anybody asked this directly? I can't do this cause I applied for their second round.

I heard from a friend there were 67 interview slots available (slots were available for August and October for these first rounders) in the first round. I'm assuming there's going to be about 150-200 people who interview for the 80 spots after you add in the slots that open later for second round.....urghhh.

Can somebody count and confirm? Or like, has anybody asked this directly? I can't do this cause I applied for their second round.
If there are 67 interview slots for 1st round then how do they interview close to 200 for both rounds since the second round might likely be less?

Thanks for the info! The federal portion is just a little over $10K, but the cost of tuition and living is many times of that. So students have to rely on private loans at high interest rates? What is the prospect of getting research/teaching assistantship, etc. while studying at USyd med school?

Yes to first one. I would think it would be difficult to find an academic job unless you have connections, maybe waiter lol.

If there are 67 interview slots for 1st round then how do they interview close to 200 for both rounds since the second round might likely be less?

We don't know if 2nd round is going to be less especially because the new MCAT has later dates and release dates this year. I know I'm crazy but I found this thing online about their 2011 interviews: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/medu.12224/epdf

There were 293 international students interviewing for 2012 intake so 200 might be it (since the number includes DMD applicants).

We don't know if 2nd round is going to be less especially because the new MCAT has later dates and release dates this year. I know I'm crazy but I found this thing online about their 2011 interviews: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/medu.12224/epdf

There were 293 international students interviewing for 2012 intake so 200 might be it (since the number includes DMD applicants).
So is the 67 you mentioned, interview slots or admitted slots?

Interview slots for 1st round. IDK if they even show you all the slots.
Based on that its tough to tell the number of total interviewed, I did say around 100-150 at most. But the confusing part is that the website said there is no advantage for 1st round applicants which makes it weird how they will select from both rounds if everyone has equal footing. e.g if there are 50 qualified for admission in the 1st round that means 30 spots left, so how will the second rounders have an equal chance or do they just take 40 from both?

Based on that its tough to tell the number of total interviewed, I did say around 100-150 at most. But the confusing part is that the website said there is no advantage for 1st round applicants which makes it weird how they will select from both rounds if everyone has equal footing. e.g if there are 50 qualified for admission in the 1st round that means 30 spots left, so how will the second rounders have an equal chance or do they just take 40 from both?

I have no idea. Maybe 40 from both since the first method wouldn't give 2nd rounders equal advantage. Did you apply first round? How did you feel about your interview? If you did, you'll find out in 2 more days!

It would be so nice if there were only like a 100 applicants. I'll definitely count how many slots there are in the 2nd round of interviews when I get an interview offer. I have some confidence in my interview skills. I would say my MCAT is like borderline.

I'm dying to just do my interview and be over with. October is so far.

I have no idea. Maybe 40 from both since the first method wouldn't give 2nd rounders equal advantage. Did you apply first round? How did you feel about your interview? If you did, you'll find out in 2 more days!

I'm dying to just do my interview and be over with. October is so far.
I did first round...was expecting the results today but they said Friday. fingers crossed...did you apply to any other Aussie school?

I did first round...was expecting the results today but they said Friday. fingers crossed...did you apply to any other Aussie school?

I applied a little late for the Aussie cycle so I was only able to apply to Griffith and Usyd. How about you?

Applied almost late too...UQ was full and Monash rejected me for not having enough bio medical science classes

Applied almost late too...UQ was full and Monash rejected me for not having enough bio medical science classes

Yeah, I was devastated when I heard UQ was full. I was waiting on my MCAT scores, which got released like 5 days after it got full. Are you a Canadian applicant? What made you decide to apply to Aussie schools?

Yeah everywhere is full except for Sydney and Melbourne (I think, I don't meet their requirements so I didn't apply). It seems that the more competitive schools do their evaluations much later. I can't apply to Monash because I'm applying from the United States so I'd have to go to Aussie to do the interview.

Yeah, I was devastated when I heard UQ was full. I was waiting on my MCAT scores, which got released like 5 days after it got full. Are you a Canadian applicant? What made you decide to apply to Aussie schools?

Yeah everywhere is full except for Sydney and Melbourne (I think, I don't meet their requirements so I didn't apply). It seems that the more competitive schools do their evaluations much later. I can't apply to Monash because I'm applying from the United States so I'd have to go to Aussie to do the interview.
I'm a Nigerian International Student here in the United States. I was wait-listed at American schools so I think Aussie will bail me out by God's grace

What about Flinders and Griffith? Are they full? How do you not meet the requirements for Sydney I thought all the schools have very similar requirements besides Melb which requires some prereqs.

What about Flinders and Griffith? Are they full? How do you not meet the requirements for Sydney I thought all the schools have very similar requirements besides Melb which requires some prereqs.

Flinders already did their interviews---they have a deadline but they accept applicants on a rolling basis afterwards, although you're unlikely to get an offer that way (as in spots don't really open for Flinders). Griffith is probably full yeah.

I meet the requirements for Sydney. I don't for Melbourne.

Flinders already did their interviews---they have a deadline but they accept applicants on a rolling basis afterwards, although you're unlikely to get an offer that way (as in spots don't really open for Flinders). Griffith is probably full yeah.

I meet the requirements for Sydney. I don't for Melbourne.

I see thanks

Any news yet? getting anxious...

Heads up to the first rounders that their offers are going to be sent on the 19th instead (no email was sent this time it seems, only the change in date in their timeline).

Last edited:
I'm planning to apply as soon as I get my MCAT scores back on Tuesday. Hoping thats not too late.

Nice! You have plenty of time to apply for the October round =)

Thanks :) Do you know of any other Aussie schools that I can still apply to where spots are available this late? Also do you know whats competitive for the new mcat for sydney? Do they interview everyone who gets at least 500?