University of Sydney 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't mind. Did you get accepted to Usyd? :)
I know that Usyd reputation is better than UQ and education quality is better as well (as I've only heard good things about it vs. people saying UQ is "disorganized"). But there are reasons that I have to choose UQ-O:
1/ 2 years clinical rotations in Ochsner makes a difference. SOME residencies out there require "at least 1 year of clinical rotations in the US" for IMGs to be considered, and those happen to be in the 2 states that I want.
2/ Money issue: (a) Sydney is a very expensive place to live in (even more than NYC), (b) I'd want to do US electives but flying back and forth would cost lots of money...
3/ For family reason, I'd prefer NOT staying for more than 2 years in Australia.
I know UQ-O not being approved in NY atm is a disadvantage, but I really hope that it'll get approved before I graduate...
Thanks! A friend of mine got accepted to USyd.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a student loan from an Australian Bank if I have an Australian citizen who is willing to co-sign or be a guarantor?
for a definitive answer, you should email Sydney financial aid office and ask.

Anyone here applying for the 2nd round and anxiously waiting for the email about the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
mcat_taker I already know about you haha.

Yeah I'm aware of their timeline....it's the 24th there already (like 6:30 am ish). Can't wait for that email!

And yes, they never seem to follow what they say either haha

EDIT: *tomorrow not today

Last edited:
mcat_taker I already know about you haha.

Yeah I'm aware of their timeline....it's the 24th there already (like 6:30 am ish). Can't wait for that email!

And yes, they never seem to follow what they say either haha

Is it really true that they give everyone an interview with a 500+ though? I think I read that somewhere

P.S. I think its the 23rd there 7 30 AM. So one more day.

It's (supposed to be) tonight! Do we get a link in an email or do we log into the student portal? Can't focus at work even though it's just an email to sign up for slots.

mcat_taker, yes they invite everyone with 500 or above.

It's (supposed to be) tonight! Do we get a link in an email or do we log into the student portal? Can't focus at work even though it's just an email to sign up for slots.

mcat_taker, yes they invite everyone with 500 or above.

You get a link in the email that will direct you to the scheduling form. =) Excited for you!

I got the email with the link last night at 1 am EST (today).

Last edited:
Anyone know what the chances post interview are?

I have my interview at 2:45 pm Sydney time so 12 45 AM EST?

Anyone know what the chances post interview are?

I have my interview at 2:45 pm Sydney time so 12 45 AM EST?

That all depends on the applicant pool from year to year. This year they're also doing this double round thing so we have no idea how Usyd is evaluating applications. I'm wondering how many places they've filled up already after the first round though.

Members don't see this ad :)
That all depends on the applicant pool from year to year. This year they're also doing this double round thing so we have no idea how Usyd is evaluating applications. I'm wondering how many places they've filled up already after the first round though.

Ooh I didn't know the double round was a new thing.

would you guys say that the MMI scenarios were mostly medically related or unrelated because I've seen practice examples of both types.

Interview is in 2 days so freaking out at the moment! Any last minute tips and strategies people can give me?

Interview is in 2 days so freaking out at the moment! Any last minute tips and strategies people can give me?

The more you practice on scenarios, the more you will begin to see a trend on the best method for tackling any issue they could ask. There are even videos of how to answer certain questions that can help guide you to see this method. There is definitely a one size fits all method to answering almost every scenario. The more practice MMI questions I did the more I could see it. Other than that, just be calm and have fun with it! =)

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

Did you guys find it necessary to repeat or summarize the prompt to the interviewers before delving into your response? I'm worried that I won't be able to fill 7 minutes on some of them based on practice ones I've done that seem to be straightforward.

Did you guys find it necessary to repeat or summarize the prompt to the interviewers before delving into your response? I'm worried that I won't be able to fill 7 minutes on some of them based on practice ones I've done that seem to be straightforward.

I would say it doesn't hurt to summarize a bit in your own words just so the interviewer can get a sense of how you have begun to interpret the problem. It gives you a little extra time to sink into your response. Regarding length, just try and give a complete answer. If it is shorter, it is ok and they will follow up with prompts if they need more. I can't go into too much more out of contract, but just give as complete of an answer as you can and it will be fine. =) The 7 minutes will get filled up.

Yes, I just did the interview and the 7 minutes go by really fast. Keep your answers concise and don't repeat yourself. I had trouble not repeating myself in one station so definitely keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else interviewing tonight and on Skype?? Sydney hasn't reached out to me yet to start and I'm supposed to start in 15 mins....

edit: nvm got it sorted

Last edited:
Has anybody heard back from Usyd about offers yet for this round or spoken to them on the phone on when they might be released?

As expected they changed their offers date from the 14th to TBA...

Oztrekk says that they had an extremely high volume of applications for the 2016 intake and an extremely high acceptance rate for the first round. So they don't know when they'll expect to hear about second round students.

Has anyone from Round 2 heard anything?

Still haven't heard anything. On the edge of my seat here! :(

Be patient, everyone. They got back to me about a month after the interview.

Hey everyone, I just got an email back from Usyd saying they'll send out offer emails by next week.

Awesome! Let's share as we hear back one way or another! Best of luck!

Yes, best of luck to everyone here! I hope they sorted out the oversubscription issue.

Hello, I havent posted in this thread yet! but I had my interview in Oct as well over Skype, and havent heard back either! Any one hear anything?
I got excited when i saw the previous post that we would find out this week...
ITS FRIDAY already :(

I can't even believe this....it's probably next week. Losing hope.

I can't even believe this....it's probably next week. Losing hope.
Has anyone emailed in to ask?
Start of term is a few months away... I wonder when and if there is a latest date that the school has to tell someone before it term starts?

Has anyone emailed in to ask?
Start of term is a few months away... I wonder when and if there is a latest date that the school has to tell someone before it term starts?

Well, we need time to process our visas, get our vaccinations, and medical examination stuff. I really have no idea. I emailed and they said they would send offers by this week but obviously it's not happening. They also responded to my email 2 weeks later. The best bet would be to call them but I don't want to pester them twice.

I rang them ages ago in October to check, and the international student admin person told me we would know sometime in November. I would wait till close to the end of November before I call again (then again it is more or less a anonymous call).

I rang them ages ago in October to check, and the international student admin person told me we would know sometime in November. I would wait till close to the end of November before I call again (then again it is more or less a anonymous call).

They don't ask you your name or anything? I'm considering calling them.....it's November 19th there already...

According to the email the class of 2016 is full.

Last edited:
According to the email the class of 2016 is full.
I just heard back as well from them. 2016 is full. :oops:

Best of luck everybody with your other applications.

I just heard back too, but was given an offer for 2017 MD instead. I suppose this is a nice surprise as I'd prefer to hear back from Canadian MD/USMD schools first anyways.

Best of luck to everyone.

Yep, got the same email with an offer for 2017. I guess I'm going to Griffith.

Congrats to all that got offered a place in 2017! Better than none. I got the same email and offer... I didnt manage to catch many other application deadlines for Australia, so am only waiting on 1 more ( Interview soon fingers crossed!)

So might see some of you in what 1 year + time?!

Congrats to all that got offered a place in 2017! Better than none. I got the same email and offer... I didnt manage to catch many other application deadlines for Australia, so am only waiting on 1 more ( Interview soon fingers crossed!)

So might see some of you in what 1 year + time?!

Which school are you waiting on?

Based on an email that I got, they seem to have taken a lot of people in the first round of interviews and more people accepted the offer than usual. They were offering accepted international applicants the opportunity to defer for one year with seemingly no questions asked. I guess not very many took them up on the offer.

Has anyone on here accepted the offer?

Which school are you waiting on?

Monash, interview this week. (I am from Asia so we have some late interviews held here)

There is still some time to accept Sydney.. Its a whole year to wait but it looks like a great school - So it depends what you like.
Sydney Uni is in the city... is currently the top medical school in Australia and has international electives.... I plan to practise eventually in a strictly regulated country so medical school reputation and program is really important.

Monash, interview this week. (I am from Asia so we have some late interviews held here)

There is still some time to accept Sydney.. Its a whole year to wait but it looks like a great school - So it depends what you like.
Sydney Uni is in the city... is currently the top medical school in Australia and has international electives.... I plan to practise eventually in a strictly regulated country so medical school reputation and program is really important.

I've decided to take my UQ-O offer. It also means I don't have to wait a year.

Sydney Uni is in the city... is currently the top medical school in Australia and has international electives....
This is an odd claim to make unqualified. "Top" at what? By whom? I think you'll find Australians naming Melb as #1. But assuming there is much meaning in the international ratings game (how much to weigh various criteria is inherently subjective), I don't think there's any significant (i.e. of practical importance) difference between the rankings of a number of the 'top' Australian schools.

Ratings for Australian schools from the most popular int'l ratings groups:

US News (med):
------------------
USyd (36)
Melb (47)
Monash (89)
UQ (92)
http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/clinical-medicine?page=4

US News (overall university):
---------------------------------
Melb (40)
USyd (51)
UQ (52)
Monash (84)
UNSW (90)

Times Higher Education (clinical/health):
------------------------------------------------
Melb (13)
USyd (23)
UQ (42)
Monash (46)
UNSW (54)
Adelaide (95)
UWA (96)
https://www.timeshighereducation.co...inical-pre-clinical-health#!/page/0/length/25

ARWU (clinical med):
-------------------------
Melb (36)
UQ (51-75)
UWA (51-75)
USyd (101-150)
http://www.shanghairanking.com/FieldMED2013.html

ARWU (overall)
-------------------
Melb (44)
ANU (77)
UQ (77)
UWA (87)
USyd (101-150)
http://www.shanghairanking.com/World-University-Rankings-2015/Australia.html

QS (med):
-----------
USyd (17)
UMelb (18)
Monash (36)
UNSW (43)
UQ (49)
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2015/medicine#sorting=rank

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users