University of Sydney DVM Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IvanD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone else applied to or is in the DVM class starting Feb 2016? I just received my offer and committed! Trying to see if I can find anyone who'll be heading over too!

Ivan

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ivan,

Congrats! I too got accepted to the DVM program at USyd starting in Feb 2016. I have secured my spot and am looking forward to becoming a Sydneysider!

Where are you from Ivan? I'm from Niagara Falls, Ontario.

Justin

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I just accepted my offer from Sydney. Super excited to head down there!

I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Did my undergrad at the University of Waterloo. What about you guys?

Members don't see this ad :)
No way! I did my undergrad at UWaterloo as well! Just finishing up my Masters from McGill this year.

How are you guys affording USyd's tuition as Canadians? Just curious

Hey guys,

Fellow Canadian here (Toronto), accepted at USyd and Melbourne DVM's. Still putting some thought into which school is best for me. Does anybody have any inside info that could help make my decision easier? Other than tuition difference, any info will help. I am aware of USyd's transition into a new DVM as well, but I'm unsure if that will affect the program experience in any way. Thanks!

Hey guys! Congrats on getting in- I am still waiting to hear back. Would you mind shRing your stats, like gpa and experience etc? Thanks!

He guys! I just got accepted to usyd dvm as well! I am from Toronto, Canada. I made my payment for first semester and ready to go in Feb! What are you guys doing in terms of housing?? I am still looking for a good place to stay

Hey guys,

Fellow Canadian here (Toronto), accepted at USyd and Melbourne DVM's. Still putting some thought into which school is best for me. Does anybody have any inside info that could help make my decision easier? Other than tuition difference, any info will help. I am aware of USyd's transition into a new DVM as well, but I'm unsure if that will affect the program experience in any way. Thanks!

Hi! Congrats on your acceptances! I got accepted to both universities as well. I chose usyd because it has cheaper tuition and its veterinary school is ranked number 11 in the world by QS! I am from toronto too by the way!
Hi guys,
I just accepted my offer from Sydney. Super excited to head down there!

I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Did my undergrad at the University of Waterloo. What about you guys?
congrats! I am from Toronto and heading to usyd vet school as well! I did my undergrad at ryerson university. When Are you heading down to Sydney??

Hi! Congrats on your acceptances! I got accepted to both universities as well. I chose usyd because it has cheaper tuition and its veterinary school is ranked number 11 in the world by QS! I am from toronto too by the way!

congrats! I am from Toronto and heading to usyd vet school as well! I did my undergrad at ryerson university. When Are you heading down to Sydney??

I don't have my ticket yet. When are you heading down? And what are you doing about your living situation? I'd like to rent a place off campus but I haven't really started looking yet.

I don't have my ticket yet. When are you heading down? And what are you doing about your living situation? I'd like to rent a place off campus but I haven't really started looking yet.

Hey, I have decided to stay on campus for the first six months and then find a cheaper place on the rental market ..have you gotten your visa?

Hey, I have decided to stay on campus for the first six months and then find a cheaper place on the rental market ..have you gotten your visa?
That actually sounds like a good idea. Thing is, I hate cafeteria food...
I haven't gotten my visa yet. I still need to renew my passport.:p

You can't get your student VISA until 4 months (124 days) prior to the start date of the program. (Ie, start date of late Feb means the earliest you can apply is late Oct). If you have confirmation of enrolment and are from Canada it usually doesn't take very long (Anywhere from minutes to a few days). But I guess I can only really talk about going to Australia with you guys in general, because I accepted The University of Melbourne's offer last week. :) Make sure you renew your passport for 10 years, it's only $20 more expensive, or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't get your student VISA until 4 months (124 days) prior to the start date of the program. (Ie, start date of late Feb means the earliest you can apply is late Oct). If you have confirmation of enrolment and are from Canada it usually doesn't take very long (Anywhere from minutes to a few days). But I guess I can only really talk about going to Australia with you guys in general, because I accepted The University of Melbourne's offer last week. :) Make sure you renew your passport for 10 years, it's only $20 more expensive, or something like that.
Thanks for the advice! And congrats on your acceptance! Out of curiosity, what are you doing about housing? Staying on campus for a bit before renting off campus?

Do you mind emailing or texting me? I know that could be strange. But I have some questions.

Hi everyone congrats on your acceptance to Sydney's DVM program .

I submitted my VMCAS application on September 13th and was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how long they were waiting to hear back from the admissions committee for an answer.

I am hoping it won't be too long of a wait and that I will hear a positive response :)

Hi guys! Regarding VMCAS application, the person I have been emailing told me they will be uploading our VMCAS application onto their portal account (I'm assuming they will be emailing us to create an account). She also said that we should be hearing from them some time in mid to late October. Good luck to you both :)

Hi guys! Regarding VMCAS application, the person I have been emailing told me they will be uploading our VMCAS application onto their portal account (I'm assuming they will be emailing us to create an account). She also said that we should be hearing from them some time in mid to late October. Good luck to you both :)

Thanks for the info, do you know the name of the staff member you have been emailing?

Has anyone heard anything yet? My VMCAS was verified, but I haven't received any emails whatsoever from Sydney.

I actually emailed them about an hour ago asking about confirmation of my app and any ways of monitoring my status. I'll let you know if they respond!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually emailed them about an hour ago asking about confirmation of my app and any ways of monitoring my status. I'll let you know if they respond!

Any response? I also emailed them but nothing, hopefully we will hear something soon!

Any response? I also emailed them but nothing, hopefully we will hear something soon!

I had a response this morning asking for my VMCAS number. Waiting for another response since I've sent it.

I submitted my VMCAS on September 15 and I heard a positive response from Sydney last Thursday (October 15). I was corresponding heavily with the admissions department to send additional documents so I'm not sure if that affected my response time. Hope that helps.

I submitted my VMCAS on September 15 and I heard a positive response from Sydney last Thursday (October 15). I was corresponding heavily with the admissions department to send additional documents so I'm not sure if that affected my response time. Hope that helps.

Positive response as in interview or acceptance?

I can't see my VMCAS in there unfortunately, but I can see the supplemental I accidentally started. I can also see an enquiry I sent because I didn't know whom to email about whether they had received all of my materials.

I can't see my VMCAS in there unfortunately, but I can see the supplemental I accidentally started. I can also see an enquiry I sent because I didn't know whom to email about whether they had received all of my materials.

Oh yeah, I have that portal. I've sent them enquiries in the past. It's just a way of monitoring those, unfortunately.

Even though I can click on applications and see the one I started?

Did you apply through VMCAS? Or directly through the portal? Because I believe if you applied directly, the portal will serve as application monitoring. However, I think if you applied via VMCAS it's a different story. Don't quote me on that! The reason I think so is because when I thought I was going to apply last year, I started an application on their website. I never ended up applying at all, though. And when I log into the portal that's the application I can see exists.

Did you apply through VMCAS? Or directly through the portal? Because I believe if you applied directly, the portal will serve as application monitoring. However, I think if you applied via VMCAS it's a different story. Don't quote me on that! The reason I think so is because when I thought I was going to apply last year, I started an application on their website. I never ended up applying at all, though. And when I log into the portal that's the application I can see exists.

I applied through VMCAS, but I accidentally started an app on their website separately before I figured out the whole "upload a supplemental to VMCAS" thing. Idk, the email and the site say "student portal" so I thought I'd post it here since it technically counts as hearing something from them, even though it's not much.

I applied through VMCAS, but I accidentally started an app on their website separately before I figured out the whole "upload a supplemental to VMCAS" thing. Idk, the email and the site say "student portal" so I thought I'd post it here since it technically counts as hearing something from them, even though it's not much.

Certainly does count! And I'm sure they'll answer your enquiries soon :) let me know.

Hey katashark and kieradi721,

I emailed U of Sydney last week because the email address I used for my VMCAS is being disabled so I wanted to give them my updated one.

Got a response last night saying to contact them if you haven't heard back from them before mid -November. Let me know if you get any different of a response.

Hey katashark and kieradi721,

I emailed U of Sydney last week because the email address I used for my VMCAS is being disabled so I wanted to give them my updated one.

Got a response last night saying to contact them if you haven't heard back from them before mid -November. Let me know if you get any different of a response.

The lady responded to me last night and said "Dear student, We are in the processing for your application. The faculty will inform you the outcome as soon as possible."

Positive response as in interview or acceptance?

I received an acceptance offer. I submitted both VMCAS and an application on the sydney website which referenced my VMCAS application. Sorry for the slow reply!

They won't respond to my questions! Where did you find those email addresses for the people that you guys have been talking to @kieradi721 @Vet2020 ?

I emailed [email protected] and received some emails from [email protected]. They take a day or two to respond.

I received an acceptance offer. I submitted both VMCAS and an application on the sydney website which referenced my VMCAS application. Sorry for the slow reply!

I emailed [email protected] and received some emails from [email protected]. They take a day or two to respond.

Congratulations, you must be so excited! Do you remember what time you got your acceptance email? Was it near the beginning of the day (8:30am) or was it near the end of the (4:30pm)?

Congratulations, you must be so excited! Do you remember what time you got your acceptance email? Was it near the beginning of the day (8:30am) or was it near the end of the (4:30pm)?

It was at exactly 2:14 AM pacific time.

I just got an email from them saying they have my application and are assessing it some time this next few weeks. Keep out for an email about your application!

Has anyone heard back from them yet? Its already Friday there and I still haven't heard anything :\

I haven't heard anything since last Thursday when they told me to wait 1 week.

I just recieved an unconditional offer, I don't know if it's just me but the way I read it is, if other ppl don't accept and I do a will be apart of the class. Has anyone received a "firm" offer.

I just recieved an unconditional offer, I don't know if it's just me but the way I read it is, if other ppl don't accept and I do a will be apart of the class. Has anyone received a "firm" offer.

I'm not sure. So, it's a conditional offer? Sounds like that's the way they do alternates there? The early posters on this thread were accepted. Also, you can try to ask what the deal is on the sydney c/o 2019 or earlier threads.