University of Sydney no longer accepts US finaid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"The royal we, you know, the editorial..."

(The United States, Smartass)

Seriously, some idiotic pre med who hasn't done a second of research on residencies is trying to say what the US will and won't do. Get into medical school first...

If you ever actually made it to the residency stage you'll begin to realize how many foreigners are actually in the US system. 2014 had the highest match rate for non-US IMGs ever at 49% and another big jump in residency spots overall. 2015 doomsday predictions of a 1:1 US MD/DO to Residency my ass. Fact, they'll take a Sydney grad with a 250 USMLE over some joe schmoe US grad with a 230 at the end of the day and this will continue to happen even if US residency spots stay stagnant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Seriously, some idiotic pre med who hasn't done a second of research on residencies is trying to say what the US will and won't do. Get into medical school first...

If you ever actually made it to the residency stage you'll begin to realize how many foreigners are actually in the US system. 2014 had the highest match rate for non-US IMGs ever at 49% and another big jump in residency spots overall. 2015 doomsday predictions of a 1:1 US MD/DO to Residency my ass. Fact, they'll take a Sydney grad with a 250 USMLE over some joe schmoe US grad with a 230 at the end of the day and this will continue to happen even if US residency spots stay stagnant.
I usually ignore those sorts of comments.

We'll see, internet tough guy. Did you grow up in Compton, or are you more at home in Camden?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

No they won't. Maybe in rural Ohio but there's no way in hell an IMG (not from America) is getting into California/NY or even Texas/Florida no matter how great their statistics over a domestic with a decent score.

I guess it's my fault for bringing up match success of USyd graduates. In my defense, I only asked because students considering USyd may have to consider private loans as an option now.

At any rate, there are bunch of threads concerning Oz graduates getting US residencies.
Please keep the thread from going off in a tangent, and take the discussions there.

"The royal we, you know, the editorial..."
(The United States, Smartass)
It's just that those who speak in terms of 'we' (or 'them') tend to be more tribal in their thinking.

I see any trend towards a decreased reliance on IMGs in the US as similar to the last decade here of increased int'l students -- things will get tighter, but there will continue to be opportunities and demand for them.

I think at the end of the day, its just really sad how a university like Sydney is taking internationals with such low standards. It hurts their reputation abroad for sure. They just shouldn't get into the business of taking students without giving them a guarantee of a career in a healthcare system afterwards. If they have to cut back drastically on the numbers of international numbers to do so, so be it.

I don't think the profit they make which honestly isn't that much what like 20k per year per student once you factor in the cost of attendance is worth the damage to their reputation. Somehow it does pain me to see the University of Sydney being an offshore school that lies somewhere in between DO schools that aren't ranked and have little reputation abroad and Caribbean schools which we don't even have to explain.

Instead of accepting 50 students a year they should take 10 and tell them upfront that for those 10 internationals they will guarantee a career in Australia if they so choose. This is what the UK does.

Last edited:
No they won't. Maybe in rural Ohio but there's no way in hell an IMG (not from America) is getting into California/NY or even Texas/Florida no matter how great their statistics over a domestic with a decent score.

That may have some limited truth in California, but Texas/Florida/NY are full of IMGs. NYC is actually pretty well-known for being full of small community hospitals where the residents are all IMGs.

Quote from international finaid from USyd (emphasis mine)
In relation to your queries regarding eligibility of the medical program for US financial aid, I am not at liberty to discuss the detail. What I can tell you is that Medical schools have stricter regulations than other non-medical programs; this is relatively new approach from the US dept. of Education. The US Department of Education continually responds to our application with requests for further information and after submitting responses they reply with further questions. We have only recently submitted an answer to their latest set of questions and are hoping for a positive outcome soon. We cannot guarantee nor can we comment on a date this will occur. The issue is not with USMLE results.

So there we have it.